"Downsized": anyone watch this show???

Wow, I feel like I watched a different show. This is a family of 9. I can't imagine what the grocery bill for six teenagers alone would be. At the beginning of the show they said they had used all their savings and 401 K.

If they really bring home around 3600 a month and their rent is 1700. That would leave 1900 a month left for everything else for 9 people. Yes, they do have a nice house, but it looked like they are going to be looking for something smaller. Once again, this is a family of 9. The dad said his business grossed over 1 million during good years. They could have been more frugal, but 10 years ago, very few Americans were thinking that way.

I feel for the blonde teenaged girl. I never had much growing up, and although we never had food stamps, I had to put groceries back, which was embarrasing. I know it is a hard situation, but the other girl getting a car just rubs salt in the wound. Not that the other girl shouldn't get a car, but if I were her I would be angry too.

I see this a lot with my peers, and in myself as well. I'm 30, born in 1980. I can do basic cooking, mending, repairing, etc but not well. Those aren't things I learned as a child - not because my parents didn't try to teach me, I just wasn't interested to learn - so I'm learning now. I have a lot of friends/acquaintances however who don't cook at all. Living in NYC especially it's really easy to just eat takeout all the time. My former roommate could hardly boil water - seriously. I bought her "Cooking for Dummies" for Christmas one year because she asked me if she could make a hard boiled egg in the microwave. :rotfl:

I'm the same age, and I have to thank my grandparents for sitting me down and teaching me those things because my mom never really learned them. I think that's fairly common for the baby boomers; they're the first generation raised in disposable, go-out-and-buy-it America; our grandparents fixed their own toilets and tended gardens and canned veggies and mended clothes. Our parents went to college so they'd have enough money not to do any of those things for themselves. Now our generation is having to relearn those "old fashioned" skills to deal with the current economic situation.

Do you get to keep your vehicles after bankruptcy? If not, why have their vehicles not been repossessed?

Bankcruptcy laws vary by state, in CT if you need your car for transport to and from work you can keep it and if your home is your primary residence then it does not get taken away during bankruptcy.

I feel for this family. For the kids, learning to live within their means will become an invaluable skill, but doing it cold turkey is very hard. For the dad, I can only imagine how frustrating and degrading it must have been for him to sign up for this show. I know my husband would have had to exhaust every last resource in order to do it.

Definitely agree with this, and I think it's why a lot of people on this thread don't feel much sympathy for the family on this show. For this family, "downsizing" means they are now average middle class instead of well-off. So it's not at all surprising that people who have been average middle class all along can't sympathize with a family who has to downgrade from a Mercedes to a Ford. I'm sure not having the luxuries they are accustomed to is somewhat of a shock to the family on the show, but the majority of America could never have afforded those luxuries in the first place.

I'm not picking on you - but more the "people on this thread" who don't feel much sympathy....So when you get laid off from your middle class lifestyle, do you expect the 98% of the world that can only dream of your middle class lifestyle to have any sympathy? Cause now you know how most of the world feels about America's economic troubles - relatively, we are still so very rich. We can afford Fords - they can maybe afford a bike. And yes, it would be so easy for a person making $1M a year from his business to have saved more, lived a more modest lifestyle, but again, relatively - to someone whose diet is rice and who lives eight people in 600 square feet - it would be so easy for the American middle class to have saved - instead of over extending themselves.

I did catch an episode of this show and it just was odd for me personally. Probably because I consider my family solidly middle-class, like the family on the show is portrayed to be-but my lifestyle is so different. We are a family of 7, but they seem to have a lot more expenses in the way of groceries and utilities than we do. To me, their rental house was palacious. And he rented that thing after losing their own home? I don't get why he didnt' go for a cheaper rental, which I'm sure can be had in their area.

The mom's jewerly blew me away too. I'm her age and have the same amount of kids, but I guess I just never cared about jewerly or fancy clothes. It just isn't a priority for me, and I'd of had that stuff sold before I let one of my kids sell their ball glove.

Well, I hope things improve for them, I don't wish downsizing on anybody.

I did catch an episode of this show and it just was odd for me personally. Probably because I consider my family solidly middle-class, like the family on the show is portrayed to be-but my lifestyle is so different. We are a family of 7, but they seem to have a lot more expenses in the way of groceries and utilities than we do. To me, their rental house was palacious. And he rented that thing after losing their own home? I don't get why he didnt' go for a cheaper rental, which I'm sure can be had in their area.

The mom's jewerly blew me away too. I'm her age and have the same amount of kids, but I guess I just never cared about jewerly or fancy clothes. It just isn't a priority for me, and I'd of had that stuff sold before I let one of my kids sell their ball glove.

Well, I hope things improve for them, I don't wish downsizing on anybody.

I totally agree. I can't imagine, selling off my child's baseball glove. Sell off my earrings and other jewelry and head over to the Dollar Tree, and pick up a new pair for myself with the profits.....and let the kid keep the glove.

Obviously you haven't spent much time in the Mississippi Delta . . . True poverty generally exists only in isolated pockets of America, but it definitely exists.
I was thinking more about starving to death than health care, but WHY with all the money we pay in taxes don't these areas have what other areas have? Why doesn't the Surgeon General, who is in charge of public health care, do something about that? Here we have poorER people in the Appalachian mountains, but they have health care and food -- certainly they don't have the same things that a middle class family has, but they have the basics.

It's certainly not on the level of a third-world country, where it is totally impossible to get health care at any cost, at any distance. For example, a friend of mine lived in a third-world country while she was pregnant. She's an American. She had money. She had transportation. She couldn't get access to a doctor for pre-natal care. She had to "apply" to see a doctor, and once she was approved, she had to take a day-long train trip to another city, where she saw a podiatrist once during her pregnancy! Sounds like a joke, doesn't it? But it's serious.

Here Social Services, the Health Department, and hospitals cover most possibilities. Certainly some areas have more than others, but our tax dollars are going to pay for those things for all Americans.
The dad said they spent a ton of money smoothing out the transition of blending the two families. Possibly because it seems that all the kids said they hated their step-siblings before they were forced into becoming a family?
I'm from a blended family, and I don't think our parents spent a penny for "transition". I don't even know what that means.
I'm the same age, and I have to thank my grandparents for sitting me down and teaching me those things because my mom never really learned them. I think that's fairly common for the baby boomers; they're the first generation raised in disposable, go-out-and-buy-it America; our grandparents fixed their own toilets and tended gardens and canned veggies and mended clothes. Our parents went to college so they'd have enough money not to do any of those things for themselves. Now our generation is having to relearn those "old fashioned" skills to deal with the current economic situation.
I was going to write something similar to this. I'm early-40s, but I think I was raised more like a previous generation. I am horrible at growing things, but I can preserve food, sew clothes, and do a great number of "old fashioned things". I don't necessarily do them all on a regular basis, but I know how. Perhaps the most important skill, however, is budgeting and living within your means.

I agree with you that people a little younger than me were raised in a much more disposable America. I think society took on the idea that young people were supposed to replace old-fashioned skills with a college education. They'd be able to earn money to buy things rather than do these things for themselves. When I was a kid, we learned sewing, housekeeping, and ettiquette skills in Girl Scouts and in youth group at church (along with other things). Today Girl Scouts has replaced those "too feminine" items with a "believe in yourself" curriculum, and church groups are more focused on missions. I'm not saying that these new things aren't worthwhile . . . but kids aren't getting those old-fashioned skills at home, they aren't getting them at school, and they aren't getting them from clubs.

I don't think, however, that these things are suddenly necessary again because of the current economic situation. I think we as a society got ourselves into the current economic situation -- in large part -- because we stopped using those old-fashioned skills, especially budgeting and making-do with what we have. We started buying everything, and that got out of control: People stopped cooking, started replacing clothes instead of mending them, etc. And our appetite for consuming grew.

I watched the show last night for the first time and felt like it wasn't real. I mean what parent would be so proud not to take help from their family and send their kids dumpster diving? And then the entire baseball glove reminded me of Little Women. I don't think I will be watching the show anymore.

I sort of thought the kids immediately jumping to dumpster diving and selling their most precious possesions was the point that was made last night. The kids "got" the seriousness of this situation while the parents are still trying to cling to their old lifestyle hoping things will immediately get better.

I didn't feel like the parents were forcing the kids into anything except by their own inaction. They didn't really seem to get how it was affecting the kids. It isn't just their issue, the kids feel deeply involved in it.

I was sympathetic to the parents, despite their poor choices. I thought they were making the mistake of not being realistic about their situation, but I think that's probably common.

I agree with you that people a little younger than me were raised in a much more disposable America. I think society took on the idea that young people were supposed to replace old-fashioned skills with a college education. They'd be able to earn money to buy things rather than do these things for themselves. When I was a kid, we learned sewing, housekeeping, and ettiquette skills in Girl Scouts and in youth group at church (along with other things). Today Girl Scouts has replaced those "too feminine" items with a "believe in yourself" curriculum, and church groups are more focused on missions. I'm not saying that these new things aren't worthwhile . . . but kids aren't getting those old-fashioned skills at home, they aren't getting them at school, and they aren't getting them from clubs.

My son was taught to mend, cook and do laundry in Home Ec. He'll be taught budgeting next year. It isn't a change to the curriculum for the economic times - they've taught this for years - its evolved - they don't call it "home ec" any more - its "Family and Consumer Sciences."

My Girl Scouts have sewn door cozies and purses as part of the Girl Scout "eco" curriculum (door cozies under saving energy, purses for recycle/reuse). When they take a camping trip now, they need to plan their own menus, make a grocery list and budget for food. Then they need to cook it (they are fifth graders - I don't cook for them at Girl Scouts any longer). And they need to clean their cabin at camp. All those things remain in Girl Scouts from my youth - although we didn't sew as part of a "recycle/reuse" lesson.

And our church doesn't do missions. We do teach - as a tenet of our faith - to treat others with respect - that's manners.

I think these opportunities have always been there - for people who choose to pursue them. More people have chosen not to pursue them - some of that is adults assuming a kid doesn't need to learn to mend, sometimes its an adult choosing to believe mission work is more appropriate for a six year old than learning to get along, some of it is the kid opting out of learning to do it. My baby sister and I took the same home ec course from the same teacher and made the same pillow - six years apart. Yet somehow she was never "taught" to use a sewing machine - and I was (and the middle sister quilts). Don't know how she managed to make that pillow. And not everyone in the past got them either - my mother - who is 65 - is a lousy cook and not a great seamstress. (She can clean, but she learned to do that as an adult, she also gardens really well). Her sister is worse.

I was surprised that the kids (at least one of them who is NOT working age) had a cell phone. Wouldn't that be one of the first things to go?

I was surprised that the kids (at least one of them who is NOT working age) had a cell phone. Wouldn't that be one of the first things to go?

If they are under a contract, then no. They are obligated to keep the contract.

If they are under a contract, then no. They are obligated to keep the contract.

No, they're just stuck with a choice between continuing or paying the termination fee outlined in their contract. But often breaking the contract is cheaper than continuing it. We have a contract on our phones, but the cancellation fee is less than two months' bill. Absolutely we'd pay the $150 one-time fee rather than continuing to pay $80/mo every month if we were in such a tight spot that we couldn't manage an expense as essential as rent/mortgage.

No, they're just stuck with a choice between continuing or paying the termination fee outlined in their contract. But often breaking the contract is cheaper than continuing it. We have a contract on our phones, but the cancellation fee is less than two months' bill. Absolutely we'd pay the $150 one-time fee rather than continuing to pay $80/mo every month if we were in such a tight spot that we couldn't manage an expense as essential as rent/mortgage.
Yes but your talking about terminating how many phones? The downsized family would be terminating seven phone lines, assuming that the parents were to keep there phones. The early termination fee for seven phones is quite possibly more than they could handle in a single month. But dont be surprised if we see very sad teens giving up there phones in a future episode when a debt consultant hits the parents upside the head with a frugal stick.

Depends on the contract. My brother in law's didn't have a termination fee. He was only freed by bankruptcy. He got stuck with two car leases as well until bankruptcy.

I haven't seen the show yet but I figure they have to show a "bling bling" type family that has hit the skids to make it more sensational and good for tv...

just from the comments here...the MOm could be ebaying all that fancy jewelry and Chanel stuff and make 1000's of dollars.....Its not hard to make money on Ebay if your willing to take the time and have stuff to sell...I have done it.

so sell her son's mitt over her Chanel earings is SAD !!

of course maybe all her jewelry is fake???

just a thought.....;)

Still outright stupid. Take the $50 a month they are paying towards that & put it towards the rent, etc. That adds up with a couple of kids. Get them a $10 emergency only TracFone.

Well, sure, but is it really the kids' responsibility to help pay the rent? This family went from high on the hog, to scrambling to get $300 in a short period of time. Their kids probably agreed to pay for their cell phones instead of going without, so they could still fit in with their friends.

I can understand that with teens. They don't want to appear different from their peers. When/if it ever came to a point where the child decides they don't want to work for the luxury of a cell phone, then that will be their choice.

In my opinion, the parents need to take the biggest hit on getting a grip on reality. The dad can't just keep waiting for the next contracting job to come along. He should be applying at every Home Depot, Lowes, etc he can find. He could put an ad on Craigslist for handy-man jobs.

The mom can sell her jewelry and anything else she has of value and accept this is their reality now, rather than bemoaning her teacher's salary. Before they accept one more cent from their kids for the rent, or food, or any other bill, they should find the money themselves and deal with the reality of the mess they made.

That's what bugs me with the mother's dismissive attitude to the humiliation her daughter faced at the grocery store, when they ran out of food stamps. To me, it's the crux of the problem with this family's finances. The mother didn't know or care how much was on the card. She didn't know how much money they spent frivolously during all the months they were blending their family with cash. The father is still holding onto the fantasy he will get back to making more than $18k/month.

Now that their finances are so tight, and yet, she's still burying her head in the sand. She could call the 800# on the back of her card and find out how much was left. But she just hands the card to the kids to pick up food at the grocery store. Then she can avoid the looks and stares as she pays for food with food stamps, while wearing her expensive jewelry, and gets into her expensive car outside of the market. She doesn't have to be humiliated. She doesn't have to own up to the fact her family is living on food stamps.

Maybe this show should have been called "Downsizing" instead. Hopefully, in the coming episodes they'll start to show how the adults in the family finally begin to accept their "new normal."

Obviously you haven't spent much time in the Mississippi Delta. People there die from lack of access to health care all the time. The infant mortality rate in the 11 counties of the lower Mississippi Delta is an absolutely obscene 281 deaths per 1,000 births. That is much higher than the aggregate rate of any country in Africa: currently Angola holds that dubious honor at 180 per 1,000 births.

True poverty generally exists only in isolated pockets of America, but it definitely exists.

Why? Americans have access to free or a sliding scale healthcare, foodstamps, free housing, at least 2 meal a day for kids in school, also family planning clinics for birth control, and there are min. wage jobs in almost all towns. Why do people think they have a right to bring a child into this world if they can not support themselves 100%. I am not talking abortion. Also I am not talking about people that lost there jobs. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter