• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Downsized": anyone watch this show???

My heart breaks for the blonde girl Baile, She the one who seems to be giving up the most of the whole family. I hate how the other girls mom pays for everything for her. I think she should have went to her mom and got picked up over there. I think that was rubbing it in Bailey face.

My heart breaks for the blonde girl Baile, She the one who seems to be giving up the most of the whole family. I hate how the other girls mom pays for everything for her. I think she should have went to her mom and got picked up over there. I think that was rubbing it in Bailey face.

That was my thought too after I only watched the last half. Then i watched the re run and Baily did get a new dress and she would have had money for her ticket but her mom spent $1000 on clothes for the kids. This is Baileys moms fault. Her own mom has done this twice to her...

1. sent her to store with food stamp card with only $2 something on it
and

2. no money for prom ticket.

It does suck that One girl get more from her mom and grandparents then Bailey but
1.Laura needs to get on the Dads butt about child support
2. Laura could have used her coffee $$ for her dd's ticket
3.Laura needs to sacriffice so her kids wont be in this situation

even though it sucks, its not fair for the other daughter to not get gifts from her mom and grandparents. I dunno but i hope they see the light and make changes and not go back to their own ways

I must say I like the dad's way of of talking about dropping cheerleading how it's not about the activities, it's about the type of people they are raising. The 3 boys seem to 'get' the money situation and are making the best of a bad situation.

The littlest girl seems like she is a bit more spoiled, being her activity was the last that was dropped.

I feel badly for Bailey, she sees the other older girl (can't remember her name) getting stuff from her grandparents and mother, which must be so hard for her. I can't blame the other girl and I think she doesn't try to flaunt it, but they share a room and it just must be really hard!

The mom......UGH I want to shake her! She spent 1000 on clothes for the kids, ok, it works out to be about $100 a kid, which is not alot, depending on where you shop (and I have a feeling it wasn't at good will or even walmart!) but unless the clothes they had were garbage, that money would have been better spent on something in the 'need to have' rather than the 'nice to have' group!

And I am pretty sure the financial planner told them they would be able to get a house in a year or so...not sure how with messed up credit, but I know people are doing it!

I believe the financial planner said their credit score was 620 and they should be able to get a FHA loan in a year with 3.5% down.

Did they ever say where the wife's ex-husband is? I see the husband's kids getting stuff from their mom and wonder why the other kids can't get stuff from their dad?

Dawn

I seem to recall the financial planner including $3000 a month in child support as part of their income - if that's from Laura's ex, that works out to $600 a month for each of her 5 kids. Its possible the Dad's ex also pays child support for their two.

The mom......UGH I want to shake her! She spent 1000 on clothes for the kids, ok, it works out to be about $100 a kid, which is not alot, depending on where you shop (and I have a feeling it wasn't at good will or even walmart!) but unless the clothes they had were garbage, that money would have been better spent on something in the 'need to have' rather than the 'nice to have' group!

I think Mom has a very difficult time distinguishing wants from needs... with her MS she may need caffeine... or in her case, the sugar in the "coffee drink"... but she wants it to be a gourmet coffee drink... from what I've seen, the kids certainly do not need new clothes, she wants them to have new clothes...

Frankly her parents are probably the source of her issues with want vs. need.. they "gave" her... or probably "bought" would be a better word... the "perfect childhood"... What they created is an adult who honestly has a sense of entitlement. Am I the only one who noticed that when they couldn't make the rent the first plan she had was to hit up Mom and Dad for the money? Looking at their budget, you can pay for cheer, eating out, and the ridiculous gourmet coffee drinks but you ask the folks to cover your rent???? No wonder her husband was embarrassed!

The husband gets it, the kids get it... she sits in front of the financial planner putting on her "poor pitiful pearl" routine... I have MS, I'm special, I'm entitled... don't tell me I'm hurting my children... boo hoo... How must those kids feel giving up baseball, prom, and cheer while they watch mommy clutch her gourmet coffee cup :confused3 And the clothes? I'm sure the boys would gladly have traded them for a summer of baseball! :rolleyes1

I think Mom has a very difficult time distinguishing wants from needs... with her MS she may need caffeine... or in her case, the sugar in the "coffee drink"... but she wants it to be a gourmet coffee drink... from what I've seen, the kids certainly do not need new clothes, she wants them to have new clothes...

Frankly her parents are probably the source of her issues with want vs. need.. they "gave" her... or probably "bought" would be a better word... the "perfect childhood"... What they created is an adult who honestly has a sense of entitlement. Am I the only one who noticed that when they couldn't make the rent the first plan she had was to hit up Mom and Dad for the money? Looking at their budget, you can pay for cheer, eating out, and the ridiculous gourmet coffee drinks but you ask the folks to cover your rent???? No wonder her husband was embarrassed!

The husband gets it, the kids get it... she sits in front of the financial planner putting on her "poor pitiful pearl" routine... I have MS, I'm special, I'm entitled... don't tell me I'm hurting my children... boo hoo... How must those kids feel giving up baseball, prom, and cheer while they watch mommy clutch her gourmet coffee cup :confused3 And the clothes? I'm sure the boys would gladly have traded them for a summer of soccer! :rolleyes1

But she told the financial planner that the children understand and support her need for Starbuck's but then she hides it and throws out half full cups when she sees them coming. :rolleyes1

Doesn't the government include that in income? That would put them over the food stamps limit.

I just don't get how they are getting food stamps.

Dawn

I seem to recall the financial planner including $3000 a month in child support as part of their income - if that's from Laura's ex, that works out to $600 a month for each of her 5 kids. Its possible the Dad's ex also pays child support for their two.

Totally agreed!

I wonder what would have happened if Mom had said, "You each have $142 to spend towards something you really want" if the boys would have FOUND a way to add $58 to the amount.

But then, who knows who she actually bought clothes for? Maybe $400 was spent on the youngest and the other $600 was stashed away for Starbucks!

You can tell I have a lot of respect for this woman!

Dawn

:confused3 And the clothes? I'm sure the boys would gladly have traded them for a summer of baseball! :rolleyes1

Doesn't the government include that in income? That would put them over the food stamps limit.

I just don't get how they are getting food stamps.

Dawn

I don't know, considering they have 9 people to feed? Perhaps I misunderstood the financial planner. I would think that if Laura were not getting any child support from her ex, we would be hearing her complain loud and clear.

With her income of $40K ($3,333/mo. gross) and an additional $3K from the ex, that is well over the food stamp level.

http://phoenix.about.com/gi/o.htm?z....gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.ht

I confess that I have no first-hand experience about SNAP but I understand that the government takes into account other factors like "excessive shelter costs" and other deductions. Laura and Todd pay $1700 a month in rent plus I would imagine their utility costs are high as well.

Well, let's hope they have also found a way to stick to a budget or that money will be blown fast.

Dawn
Well, let's hope they have also found a way to stick to a budget or that money will be blown fast.

Dawn

Now that they've been paid and are off government assistance, they are struggling again.

ml: Have things improved since doing the show?
LB: It's like you go four steps forward and two steps back. My husband's business is picking up, but we no longer qualify for government services. I'm very happy that we no longer need government assistance. It's important that people use government assistance when they need it because that's what it's there for -- to help transition -- but it's not a lifestyle. But now that we're off of it, it's hard to afford our bills again.

Read the interview here: http://www.momlogic.com/2010/11/interview_with_downsized_mom_laura_bruce.php

I thought they said 3,000 from the kids, as in they borrowed money from the kids to pay things. Because the mom keeps saying to the kids "we're gonna pay you back as soon as we can"

Ah, that would make more sense.

Dawn

I thought they said 3,000 from the kids, as in they borrowed money from the kids to pay things. Because the mom keeps saying to the kids "we're gonna pay you back as soon as we can"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter