Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

Well, it looks like realty has hit and with the closing of the parks, my group is not going. Boohoo,

I tried to do things online but it didn’t work the way I thought it might, I know MS holds will be crazy and my trip isn’t until March 29th so I sent an email instead asking for them to cancel and waive holding so I can reuse points for August,

I figured it was worth a try instead of being on hold for an hour or more tomorrow!
Can you please advise as to which email address you sent this to? I would love to follow your lead.

Can you please advise as to which email address you sent this to? I would love to follow your lead.

I used the emal link via the website. Like I said, I don't know how long the response will take, but since I have 17 days until check in, I have time!

We have a trip scheduled for April 16-18 for the Star Wars 5k. My Use Year is June, so even if I cancel, I am not sure I could use them before the end of May. I know that this is the risk of traveling late in your use year. I don't know what I will do. I will try to call tomorrow to see if they can do anything.
When we had a last minute extended family emergency I was able to place the points in an RCI certificate? and we had 2 years to use it I had expected we'd lose the points as we were within 60 days of UY and 7days of checkin.

It is irresponsible to announce the closing and not send messages out to DVC members who have rooms booked and clearly communicate to resort guests. It is saying some events may be non-refundable if they are not offered when you rebook your resort reservation to new dates.
I expect we'll start receiving these e-mails in a day or so. The closure was just announced a few hours ago so they will need time to devise a plan to divide and conquer. I've decided to give DVC time and, if I don't hear from them by Monday I'll try to call.

Hi guys. I’ll be contacting David’s tomorrow but was curious for curiosity’s sake (while I sit here waiting impatiently in limbo), what you would do as a member if you had rented out your points in a situation like this.

Don’t worry, I know it doesn’t change what David’s or our member will be willing to do here, and I also know they aren’t really obligated to help.
Under these extreme circumstances, I would probably try to work with the renter to secure a new reservation for them, using the points that they rented. If I could bank any of those points forward (or if DVC allowed me to “unborrow” them), then I would give a partial refund for what the renter had paid for those points. But any points that had been banked into the current year would not be refunded because I would not be able to move those points forward yet another year.

Keep in mind that the DVC owner rented those points out because they wanted the money more than they wanted the points. They may have already spent the money they received from David’s (they pay owners 70% of the full amount when they book, the remainder when the renter checks in). The points may be close to their expiration and have little to no value from for re-renting. There might not be anything available for the dates the renter wants to reschedule to.

I feel awful for everyone who has had their vacation plans blown up. I would hope that those involved with renting will be compassionate in the way that they deal with each other.

Has anyone actually talked to DVC Member Services today? We have BWV booked 3/21-27, I have not been able to get thru to find out options nor can I get thru to the dining line. All my dining in My Disney Experience now says I have to call to cancel - even though I'm over a week+ out still.
Try again to cancel dining on ap. I had to wait until after phone lines closed and finally about 10 pm tonight the ap let me cancel them all except special events like dessert party so I’ll call for that tomorrow

Really bummed about our trip being cancelled in 2 weeks but it’s a smart move and for the best. Gotta call and get it all canceled as well as plane tix and such.

Our trip is 15 April...Im soooo torn trying to decide whether to cancel before the 30 day mark or wait it out.

We live in MA and kids are out of school til 23 March now out of precaution and we are working from home and all events cancelled....hope this works!

Disney Parks closing. This is an issue with *owning* DVC. You are not truly a guest. If I had a home in Italy it would be my tuff luck if I couldn’t get there. There is a difference between owning a home and renting accommodations. The same could be said for VB or HH owners who may get shut out or an SA for a hurricane. You own it. If your home is not available it certainly puts a damper on things, but truly that’s what you bought.

Under these extreme circumstances, I would probably try to work with the renter to secure a new reservation for them, using the points that they rented. If I could bank any of those points forward (or if DVC allowed me to “unborrow” them), then I would give a partial refund for what the renter had paid for those points. But any points that had been banked into the current year would not be refunded because I would not be able to move those points forward yet another year.

Keep in mind that the DVC owner rented those points out because they wanted the money more than they wanted the points. They may have already spent the money they received from David’s (they pay owners 70% of the full amount when they book, the remainder when the renter checks in). The points may be close to their expiration and have little to no value from for re-renting. There might not be anything available for the dates the renter wants to reschedule to.

I feel awful for everyone who has had their vacation plans blown up. I would hope that those involved with renting will be compassionate in the way that they deal with each other.
I’m in this situation renting out 2018 points that were banked into 2019 and have to be used by the end of July. There’s no way I wouldn’t refund the money to the renter if I can’t secure a new reservation even though I’ve already used the funds to pay for our ABD trip this summer. These are unprecedented times and I’ll work with my renter in the same way I hope DVC works with us. Hopefully, they’ll let me bank them forward if they can’t be used in this UY.

Well, it looks like realty has hit and with the closing of the parks, my group is not going. Boohoo,

I tried to do things online but it didn’t work the way I thought it might, I know MS holds will be crazy and my trip isn’t until March 29th so I sent an email instead asking for them to cancel and waive holding so I can reuse points for August,

I figured it was worth a try instead of being on hold for an hour or more tomorrow!
Sandi-It was about a 35 minute wait last night at 6PM but they were more than helpful and understanding about canceling and putting our points into 2020. That was before they announced the parks were closing 3/16.
Good Luck

Sandi-It was about a 35 minute wait last night at 6PM but they were more than helpful and understanding about canceling and putting our points into 2020. That was before they announced the parks were closing 3/16.
Good Luck
Were your points banked already and then banked again or haven't they been banked before?

I’m in this situation renting out 2018 points that were banked into 2019 and have to be used by the end of July. There’s no way I wouldn’t refund the money to the renter if I can’t secure a new reservation even though I’ve already used the funds to pay for our ABD trip this summer. These are unprecedented times and I’ll work with my renter in the same way I hope DVC works with us. Hopefully, they’ll let me bank them forward if they can’t be used in this UY.
You’re a better person than me.

IF DVC allowed us to bank points a second time, of course I would refund the renter. But they’ve never made that move in the past, even when hurricanes prevented people from getting to Disney for their vacations. Points were returned to the owner’s account and borrowed points were “unborrowed”. But banked points were subject to their expiration at the end of the owner’s UY.

I would try to re-rent those banked points to another guest. And if so, I would feel morally obligated to refund whatever I managed to get for those points to the original renter. I believe that everyone should be as flexible as they can. But I don’t believe that I should be stuck with unusable points while making the renter whole.

You’re a better person than me.

IF DVC allowed us to bank points a second time, of course I would refund the renter. But they’ve never made that move in the past, even when hurricanes prevented people from getting to Disney for their vacations. Points were returned to the owner’s account and borrowed points were “unborrowed”. But banked points were subject to their expiration at the end of the owner’s UY.

I would try to re-rent those banked points to another guest. And if so, I would feel morally obligated to refund whatever I managed to get for those points to the original renter. I believe that everyone should be as flexible as they can. But I don’t believe that I should be stuck with unusable points while making the renter whole.

Dont get me wrong if you as an owner are able to get your points back without restrictions and bank them that would be great and then you could refund your renter.

However if your points are expiring then you shouldn’t refund and isn’t this the time you ask your renter to use their travel insurance? I mean everyone should have one and if you don’t who’s to blame?

There is a new message on the DVC homepage. It sounds as though everything will be canceled automatically, which is great.

There is a new message on the DVC homepage. It sounds as though everything will be canceled automatically, which is great.
The message I read said resorts were still open, but if you didn't show up, you will be refunded for your stay. But it didn't say specifically that DVC resort points would be refunded, just cash.

Annotation 2020-03-13 085343.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter