• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DisneyQuest to close July 3rd, 2017

As a teacher of high school kids, I can say that basketball amongst, and the NBA specifically is still pretty popular amongst teenage boys. Now, that said, I teach a demographic that is not exactly well represented in DisneyWorld but the reality is, most kids today don't watch the full games, instead catching the highlights. We had a 15 minute conversation today during my lunch debating the merits of Steph Curry versus John Stockton.

There is something called the COLLEGE BASKETBALL EXPERIENCE here in kansas city. I went once and that was enough - interesting to see exhibits and there are lots of interactive experiences. While I didn't love it, my nieces and nephews who are into sports....and their dads...absolutely love it. Not sure if it fits in with DS theme but I bet folks will go.

I'm shocked the NBA would go after this (I'm assuming they are paying a lot for this space and all the renovations) after how it went at Universal. Something like ESPN which covers all sports, or even football, I could see, but the NBA? I'm REALLY surprised (and I will not be going, can't stand basketball).

This, I like the idea of an ESPN total sports complex, that would definitely appeal to our family. But NBA only? Meh.

This will be great for our family. My DH and DS can be dropped off here, while my DD and I shop! The boys HATE shopping! They both watch the NBA, but I think even if they weren't huge basketball fans, they would still rather go here than be dragged around an outdoor mall.

Disney stopped investing in DQ. The games were all 15+ years old or older. It was awesome in its time, but that time has passed. As for the NBA thing - not our kind of gig, but I am happy for those who might enjoy it. Disney Springs no longer interests us. It went from a great place to have fun with some cool and quirky shops to an upscale outdoor shopping mall. Again, happy for those who are into that sort of thing, but I would rather read a good book than go to Disney Springs.

Disney stopped investing in DQ. The games were all 15+ years old or older. It was awesome in its time, but that time has passed. As for the NBA thing - not our kind of gig, but I am happy for those who might enjoy it. Disney Springs no longer interests us. It went from a great place to have fun with some cool and quirky shops to an upscale outdoor shopping mall. Again, happy for those who are into that sort of thing, but I would rather read a good book than go to Disney Springs.
IMO it's more than just upscale shopping. The dining options are fantastic. I highly suggest you check some of the new dining locations out.

IMO it's more than just upscale shopping. The dining options are fantastic. I highly suggest you check some of the new dining locations out.
We are not foodies. Not to say that we don't enjoy a good meal every once in a while, but Disney Springs used to make it worth it to go so far out of our way for a meal. Now the only reason that we would even go there is for the food, and it is just too inconvenient.

We are not foodies. Not to say that we don't enjoy a good meal every once in a while, but Disney Springs used to make it worth it to go so far out of our way for a meal. Now the only reason that we would even go there is for the food, and it is just too inconvenient.
I disagree. I think the food in of itself is worth the trip alone but to each their own.

Well, great and pricey and more annoying to reserve and reach for many (with hard-to-get ADRs with penalty cancellation fees, garage parking or bus rides, and outside walking required)...And Orlando is filled with great dining options with much less annoyance/restriction. One needs only to check out the Magical Dining Month restaurant list to see how many amazing restaurants are around (and during Magical Dining Month, much cheaper)...http://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/restaurants/

Although last year was the 1st year any Disney Springs restaurants ever joined Magical Dining Month, so that's a positive for September visitors looking at Disney Springs...maybe more will get on board this year...

I disagree. I think the food in of itself is worth the trip alone but to each their own.
Thing is - you are too young. You have no idea what it used to be. Sure, you have read about it, but you didn't experience it. My generation enjoyed a DTD that hasn't existed in a decade. Things like Pleasure Island and the Adventurer's Club were absolutely amazing - I mean, worth the 1,000 mile trip amazing. Slowly the DTD that I knew has been replaced by something completely different. I am not upset with Disney for making the changes, but I am not interested in what is there now.

I am glad that you enjoy what is there now. I go to WDW mostly because of the nostalgic feel. Disney Springs is just another shopping mall for me - no memories, no nostalgia. So I would be no more inclined to go there that some random mall in Orlando while on a Disney trip.

Thing is - you are too young. You have no idea what it used to be. Sure, you have read about it, but you didn't experience it. My generation enjoyed a DTD that hasn't existed in a decade. Things like Pleasure Island and the Adventurer's Club were absolutely amazing - I mean, worth the 1,000 mile trip amazing. Slowly the DTD that I knew has been replaced by something completely different. I am not upset with Disney for making the changes, but I am not interested in what is there now.

I am glad that you enjoy what is there now. I go to WDW mostly because of the nostalgic feel. Disney Springs is just another shopping mall for me - no memories, no nostalgia. So I would be no more inclined to go there that some random mall in Orlando while on a Disney trip.
I get that I'm young and didn't experience pleasure island and all that. That doesn't mean I don't know what is good now though. Except for town center I think the improvements to DTD are fantastic. There are so many good and better food options now than ever before. Boathouse, homecoming, morimoto, frontera Cocina, and D-Luxe burger just to name a few. We don't have any malls that look or feel like Disney Springs in Wisconsin.

I get that I'm young and didn't experience pleasure island and all that. That doesn't mean I don't know what is good now though. Except for town center I think the improvements to DTD are fantastic. There are so many good and better food options now than ever before. Boathouse, homecoming, morimoto, frontera Cocina, and D-Luxe burger just to name a few. We don't have any malls that look or feel like Disney Springs in Wisconsin.
Mall of America is awesome, and pretty close to you ( a lot closer than DS). :thumbsup2

I wish I could like this 100x over.

I agree with you that there have been some nice dining additions to Disney Springs, ala Downtown Disney 2.0. However, BuckeyeBama is so right. There was something in the air about the old downtown Disney and I for one will never understand why it had to go instead of keeping the parts that worked and adding onto it. Downtown Disney was NOT about the food, so you're correct, lots of really amazing food options, but that could have been added to what was there. Pleasure Island fired off fireworks EVERY night at midnight pretending it was New Years Eve. The energy was amazing. The adventurer's club, to die for. The comedy warehouse, well I watched 4 shows back to back and I cried and hurt I laughed so hard. I'm sorry, but the current Disney Springs will always be a reminder of what was for me and how I feel they ruined a very good thing.

But hey, now you can buy a Vera Bradley at Disney Springs instead of the local mall at your house.

Last edited:

I agree with you that there have been some nice dining additions to Disney Springs, ala Downtown Disney 2.0. However, BuckeyeBama is so right. There was something in the air about the old downtown Disney and I for one will never understand why it had to go instead of keeping the parts that worked and adding onto it. Downtown Disney was NOT about the food, so you're correct, lots of really amazing food options, but that could have been added to what was there. Pleasure Island fired off fireworks EVERY night at midnight pretending it was New Years Eve. The energy was amazing. The adventurer's club, to die for. The comedy warehouse, well I watched 4 shows back to back and I cried and hurt I laughed so hard. I'm sorry, but the current Disney Springs will always be a reminder of what was for me and how I feel they ruined a very good thing.

But hey, now you can buy a Vera Bradley at Disney Springs instead of the local mall at your house.
I'd like to say that the Town Center area which is the pure mall/upscale area was pure addition to the DTD/DS area. That area was not in use in the past. The Pleasure Island area is now the landing which I think is my favorite area with the boathouse and stuff like that.

I'd also like to add that the Edison is still coming. Its going to be huge and supposed to have a night club/entertainment element.

I know I never experienced it but Pleasure Island as it was likely would've never lasted if it continued. Times change and I think the majority of what they did with Disney Springs is a home run.

I'd like to say that the Town Center area which is the pure mall/upscale area was pure addition to the DTD/DS area. That area was not in use in the past. The Pleasure Island area is now the landing which I think is my favorite area with the boathouse and stuff like that.

I'd also like to add that the Edison is still coming. Its going to be huge and supposed to have a night club/entertainment element.

I know I never experienced it but Pleasure Island as it was likely would've never lasted if it continued. Times change and I think the majority of what they did with Disney Springs is a home run.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I agree with the food additions. It really was needed. However, they've also added a bit of an inconvenience to it, unless, you're already there imo. As far as it not lasting.... Universal City Walk anyone?

Add me to the list not impressed with Disney springs. We went to go to dinner and did Disney quest and the later was a big disappointment. The food was fine but without a draw other than the food I doubt we'd venture over next trip. The entertainment options (bowling, movies) are all things we have st home. The shopping didn't wow me. Overall I couldn't figure out why this was a destination. Maybe because I live in a big metro area with many similar dining/upscale mall experiences?

Yeah nothing in Disney springs is a go out of my way must do - not even the food options are compelling enough. If you don't have a park ticket it's a great area to walk around in.

I spent many a vacation at WDW in my 20s. It was mainly because of PI and DQ. I love the theme parks, but PI and DQ are what made a great vacation excellent. If it was not for those two places I would have gone on a few more carnival cruises at that stage in my life.

ETA: Kungaloosh and let's go see who's playing at Rock N Roll Beach Club and grab a bucket or two

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter