• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DisneyQuest to close July 3rd, 2017

Well, the "NBA Experience" is something I definitely won't experience. Just how does that fit in with the theme of Disney Springs? Disney should have gone in a different direction on this one.

I have zero interest in anything NBA/basketball (I live about 20 minutes from the basketball hall of fame and have never been), but I also haven't been to Disney Quest in at least 10 years so it's still just going to be somewhere I never go.

DisneyQuest was unique and fun back in the late 90's. I went again in 2012 and if was a mere shell of it's former glory. It is time for it to go. However, I'm not sure the NBA Experience will be as big a draw as they think it will be. I hope I'm wrong, but I personally would not pay to experience the NBA.

They just never had a model that worked...

And tech has made a lot of the appeal obsolete...kids have phones and play app based games in realtime...

They needed late nights with an open bar, and they needed to stay on top of advancements and rotate attractions in and out more frequently.
They wanted a low budget placeholder instead and that's what they got.

Won't believe it until July, heard this rumor way too many times over the past ten years to accept it this soon if that makes any sense

I don't know, the fact that the Disney Parks Blog confirmed it, I have a tough time believing it won't happen.

I STILL say something like "Adventures Club" or "Comedy Warehouse" needed to return to the area for something to do "interactively" without it being a wild dance club. I'm disappointed.

Im curious to see how the after hours is selling this time around. People who went last year raved about it making people reconsider it.

But concerning the "NBA Experience".. NBA is popular relatively speaking... but its not for everyone.
A building that size,, why not include multiple sport experiences. I dont like basketball,,, but i like hockey. My husband likes auto racing. I just think its too narrow of a focus.

But i could be way wrong.

Im curious to see how the after hours is selling this time around. People who went last year raved about it making people reconsider it.

But concerning the "NBA Experience".. NBA is popular relatively speaking... but its not for everyone.
A building that size,, why not include multiple sport experiences. I dont like basketball,,, but i like hockey. My husband likes auto racing. I just think its too narrow of a focus.

But i could be way wrong.

Hockey and soccer are the two sports really growing right now. I'm with you. I just see so much sense in making that a giant ESPN complex and then turning the ESPN boardwalk into another restaurant/bar, or maybe making a large arcade there with a lot of the games in Disneyquest. Someone in the know, how is that huge NBC Sports restaurant doing at Universal? If that was really popular, I would think that would lend even more to the idea of not limiting yourself to a single sport.

I always liked Disney Quest. Definitely got run down over the years, but I still found it fun. I wish they would somehow save the Pirates of the Caribbean game and put it in Innoventioms or something. I know that is incredibly unlikely, but it's sad to think of it just being gutted. It's such a cool experience.

Add me to the list of people who do not plan to visit the NBA experience. I know plenty of people who care about the NFL and MLB, the NBA isn't really that popular, at least in the places I've lived.

Last edited:
Up here in the tr-state area, there is a place called "Barcade". They have about 8 locations (a couple in Manhatttan, one in Brooklyn, Jersey City, New Haven CT, Philly, etc.). It's a bar with decent food a bunch of classic arcade games. A location in Disney Springs would be a good fit and a good use for all the old games in DisneyQuest.

I always find the "NBA isn't popular" statements to be hilarious. Along with soccer, basketball is the easiest game to play. By many accounts, it's quickly becoming the world's #2 sport.

I always find the "NBA isn't popular" statements to be hilarious. Along with soccer, basketball is the easiest game to play. By many accounts, it's quickly becoming the world's #2 sport.

I know plenty of people who like basketball. I can't think of anyone I know who likes NBA basketball though. Normally, they're into college basketball. I'm sure these people exist, but they definitely don't make their presence known like other sports fans.

And I also actually know fans of professional soccer.

The NBA just seems to have lost a lot of its fan base. I remember it being a big deal when I was kid.

I can't think of anyone I know who likes NBA basketball though. Normally, they're into college basketball
That's exactly me. I love college basketball but the NBA just isn't for me. I will watch it from time to time and heck I work at an NBA arena but its just not my sport.

Not to completely derail the talk here, but talking worldwide popularity of basketball doesn't make a ton of sense. Sure people come from across the world to Disney, but still. I mean, Cricket could easily be argued as #2 or #3, and I doubt a cricket complex would do well in Orlando. My statement was that the NBA has declined in popularity. To be fair, I should have prefaced that with in the US. And if you look at the average ratings, they have dropped pretty significantly since the 90's. Heck, the Wall Street Journal has dedicated multiple articles over the past few years discussing it. Basketball may be more popular, but the NBA has declined, at least in the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter