Disney World for the first time! - March 2022 plans

YYCmom

Mouseketeer
Hello!

I'm excited about finally taking our first trip to Disney World.

Let me start with a long story about why this is our first trip. I'm originally from California, and I would consider DLR to be my home park, although I haven't visited THAT much - it's still the only one I've been to so far. We took the kids to DLR back when the older one was 4 and the younger one was 6 months. Travelled with the grandparents, and we all had a great time. Great picture of kiddo and grandpa together in Dumbo, to match the one that was take of me with my grandpa when I was a tot. Went back again a few years later, but that was the trip from hell when everyone got the flu. Kiddo and I were feeling cruddy during the beach part of the vacation (before we got to the parks), but DH basically spent the entire trip in the room. He did come for dinner with us in DL one day and caught part of the parade (wish we'd realized that that 3 hours in DL would mean that his park ticket couldn't be returned). For the third trip with the kids, the grandparents asked whether they'd rather go to DLR or WDW. Kiddo decided DLR was a must, in order to ride California Screamin' with dad. Unfortunately... California Screamin' was closed when we went to make way for the Incredicoaster. But we did have a great visit overall.

Back in 2019, we started talking about finally taking a trip to WDW. In 2020 we had other travel plans. In 2021, the school spring break was right at Easter (not an option). So we decided that 2022 would be the year. I had done a bit of WDW travel planning way back before the third trip to DLR, and I follow a disney blog for fun, but planning this trip has definitely been interesting over the last 2 years!

Our travel group will be the same as for our other Disney trips - me (call me J), my DH (really kinda -meh- about Disney), Kiddo (teen), Buddy (pre-teen), Grandma, and Grandpa (sometimes called G&G). Fingers crossed that we all get to go. Kiddo has had some health problems, so possibly might stay home with DH. Also... who knows what will happen with this darn virus!

The family is happy to let me do the planning. Although when we were talking about ADRs, my dad said something about wanting to not over-plan and just discover wonderful things as they come. I am naturally an uber-planner. I make lists of attractions and restaurants whether we're going to Disney or to a new city. But I have learned to try not to get too attached to my plans. The planning is valuable anyway just for figuring out what's available and possible.

DATES
Friday March 18 to Sunday March 27

GETTING THERE
Our family of 4 is flying to Orlando via Toronto, arriving around 9pm. We're coming from MST, so that's not too bad. I'm guessing we'll take Uber or Lyft to get to the hotel.
I'm not sure which flight G&G are taking. I think they will take Mears Connect or Sunshine Flyer to the hotel.

RESORT
We're staying at the Beach Club Villas! Super excited to be able to walk to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios!

Next part... tentative plans...

DAY 1 - Friday March 18
Get to the hotel, find dinner, go to bed

DAY 2 - Saturday March 19
EPCOT - hop to HS
I figured we'd all be jet lagged, so the plan is to start off at EPCOT. Starting off by following Grandpa's wish to not be too over-planned, my goal is to explore World Showcase. Maybe we'll do the Three Caballeros or Voices of Liberty/American Adventure, but I have no plan to try to squeeze Frozen or Remy in at this point.
I'm hoping we'll be done by 2-3ish to head back to the hotel for an hour or two.
And then hop to HS (how long will it take us to get there by boat or Skyliner?). Gonna try to be at HS by 4:30-5ish. Get a QS dinner - maybe Baseline Taphouse or Docking Bay 7. And hoping for 3 or 4 rides during the evening (maybe including ROTR if wait times get down below 90 minutes - I know, I'm probably crazy...).

DAY 3 - Sunday March 20
Kennedy Space Center
This has DH more excited than Disney World (and maybe Grandpa too). We'll have to actually get up reasonably early, as we'd like to rent the car and drive an hour and make it to Cape Canaveral by around 10. Does anyone know how fast the reservations to Apollo/Saturn V Center get sold out? Will arriving at 10 be early enough? Grandpa has been looking into the car reservations - I think we're getting one the Car Care Center at WDW.

DAY 4 - Monday March 21
MK - hop to EPCOT
Again, not necessarily trying for early entry depending on when everyone thinks they'll be ready to get up. Buddy would like to do a full-on regular character breakfast at Crystal Palace (exceeding unlikely at this point). If not that, then lunch at BOG. Focus for attractions on the west side of the park (Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square). After 3 trips to DLR with kids, Splash Mountain was closed EVERY SINGLE TIME (that's what we get for going during off-season). So that is definitely a priority for me. Also, I have vague memories of Country Bear Jamboree from when I was a kid, but it's been closed at DLR for forever, so I'm hoping to convince the kids to give it a try. And POTC and HM are family favorites. I'm not sure whether we'll stay for the parade or not. I no longer have endless energy, and I want to rest up for...
EPCOT bonus hours!!
I have no idea what we'll do for dinner, but hoping there's some time for a nap and maybe a dip in the pool.
I'd like to be at EPCOT by around 7:30-8. Goals for the evening: Impressions de France, Harmonious (maybe watch from Japan), and then ride a few rides. Definitely Test Track. I'm not sure we'll last until 11, but probably we can make it at least until 10. Maybe we'll catch Remy at this point.

DAY 5 - Tuesday March 22
Free day. Sleep in a bit after an exciting night at EPCOT.
Tuesday and Thursday are our free days. Possibilites include going to a water park, Disney Springs, exploring resorts, going to the pool, or checking out other sightseeing options around Orlando. I'm hoping for breakfast at Topolino's Terrace on one of those days. (This is one of my choices, just because I've heard such good things about the restaurant - characters are a bonus, but not the reason to go).

DAY 6 - Wednesday March 23
EPCOT - hop to MK
This time the visit to EPCOT will focus more on rides and Future World. Whatever we didn't ride on Monday night. And a visit to Club Cool. Maybe??? I'll be lucky enough to get a reservation at Space 220? It's only day 6, so probably not likely. I will also be trying for a reservation on Day 9 - not sure if that will work out either.
And then hop to MK for the bonus hours there. If we don't get a Space 220 reservation, I will try for Jungle Skipper Canteen for dinner. For our evening at MK, focus on Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. And watch the fireworks. I'd like to do 7DMT, but really, I'm good with whatever works out.

DAY 7 - Thursday March 24
Free day. Same as Tuesday.

DAY 8 - Friday March 25
AK
Focus just on AK for the day. I'm hoping we can make it to early entry and hit FOP, Na'avi River Journey, and the Safari before 10. After that, however the day unfolds is fine. Leaving late afternoon for dinner at Boma! I would have like to stay at AKL or WL for the theming and dining, but we decided BCV would be a better location. I'm happy to get to check out AKL a bit. (Maybe we'll make it to WL on another day? I'm thinking that in between EPCOT at MK would be a great time to check out Geyser Point, but I don't know if we'll want to take the detour versus resting at our resort).
My dream is that after dinner we take the bus to HS and those of us who like thrill rides can do TOT (and maybe RRC) and those who don't can ride something else or just go back to the resort. But again, this is a spot where we might decide not to push it.

DAY 9 - Saturday March 26
HS - hop to ??
Trying for early entry at HS (ROTR). Whatever rides we haven't done yet, as well as Muppets. And lunch at 50's Prime Time. Or maybe Hollywood Brown Derby if 50's PTC isn't available.
The evening is open for whatever we want to hop to - I'm guessing EPCOT, but could be MK. I will try to get a Space 220 lounge reservation at EPCOT for the evening, so that might be the determining factor.

DAY 10 - Sunday March 27
Departure Day. 😢
Planning on Ale & Compass breakfast before we go.

GETTING HOME
At some point in there I have to schedule PCR tests. I'm not sure when to do that. Or where... I haven't looked into it at all...
Canadians - can you help me out here?

Your trip sounds like tons of fun!! Joining in and can't wait to hear about your plans.

I make lists of attractions and restaurants whether we're going to Disney or to a new city. But I have learned to try not to get too attached to my plans. The planning is valuable anyway just for figuring out what's available and possible.

Yup, me 100%. Even if you don't follow the plan, having the background knowledge of which lines get bad when, which restaurants to avoid, etc is really helpful. That way, when you're being spontaneous, you're not going to end up making really bad choices with your time or money.

DAY 1 - Friday March 18
Get to the hotel, find dinner, go to bed

Have you looked at the BC quick service? The biggest issue with Crescent Lake is that there isn't a food court style place anywhere. BC has the pool bar and grill type place, a marketplace, and then the rest is sit down or lounge. If you walk around to Boardwalk, there's the pizza window, pool bar, marketplace, and again sit downs.

You might want a dining reservation so that you know you have a seat. Or, look at walking over to Swan / Dolphin as they have a wider range of quickie options.

And then hop to HS (how long will it take us to get there by boat or Skyliner?

Depends on how long you wait for the boat, maybe 20-30 minutes. Skyliner requires a transfer, not sure on the timing. Walking is 20 but depends on your crew's tolerance for the walk. We have walked if we didn't see the boat right there, taken the boat if we got lucky on the timing.

Grandpa has been looking into the car reservations - I think we're getting one the Car Care Center at WDW.

Swan/Dolphin have Alamo and National on site. Easier pick up and drop off from BC than getting to car center.

I'd like to be at EPCOT by around 7:30-8. Goals for the evening: Impressions de France, Harmonious (maybe watch from Japan), and then ride a few rides. Definitely Test Track. I'm not sure we'll last until 11, but probably we can make it at least until 10. Maybe we'll catch Remy at this point.

Since you're at BC with hoppers, I'd put Harmonious another night. If you watch it during your deluxe time, that's the first 20ish minutes of your bonus time. Heading into future world would line you up better to get through more rides during the deluxe hours. If you start up front and work your way back for Remy and Frozen to end the night, reports are that you can do all of the Epcot extra hours rides in that one evening.

You have made very good plans, especially for a first timer. :) Beach Club Villas is a great place to stay. You will have plenty of time in your schedule for the main pool, Storm Along Bay. :)

The Skyliner is a fun way to go to Hollywood Studios. The Skyliner will take a20 minutes to get to HS. You have to change lines at Caribbean Beach, which adds some time. The boat to HS takes about 15 minutes once it leaves the dock. It is approximately a 22 minute walk to Hollywood Studios from the villas. We will walk to HS if we are trying to get there for early hours. We will take the boat or the Skyliner back to the resort, or sometimes walk if we just miss a boat.

Your plans sound amazing! Spring break is a busy time so it's good to have an idea of what you would like to do. Plans can always be adjusted as needed. Looking forward to reading more!

TheOneWithTheTriplets - thank you for all your feedback!

You might want a dining reservation so that you know you have a seat.
I'm just worried that there might be travel delays, and I'll stress if I think we HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time.

Walking is 20 but depends on your crew's tolerance for the walk
G&G are healthy and active, but not young and can't walk as far / fast as they used to. (me, either). We'll see how we're feeling.

Swan/Dolphin have Alamo and National on site.
I'll ask Grandpa to look into it.

I'd put Harmonious another night
Good to know. We could go on Friday or Saturday. Saturday might be a nice way to end the trip.

Good job! Few thoughts:

ADRs....remember if you fail to show to an ADR its a $10 charge per person onto your CC, some forget this.
Avoid Springs on Weekends
KSC......as soon as you arrive get on the bus to the Apollo Center, that gets a line quickly and closes first.

Consider Animal Kingdom Lodge as a place to visit/eat on your relax time. Little out of the way but worth a visit.

You will have plenty of time in your schedule for the main pool, Storm Along Bay. :)
I wish that Buddy would be satisfied with Storm Along Bay. But I think we will end up going to Typhoon Lagoon. Not my first choice, but I think it will be fun.

ADRs Done!

I think I got everything we wanted, along with a couple of backup reservations in case plans change. As I kept telling my parents, it's far easier to cancel reservations than to make new ones.

For Space 220, I got lunch on Wednesday and/or lounge on Saturday, so we'll see what we want to keep after I talk with everyone else.

Except that Jungle Skipper Canteen isn't scheduled to serve dinner on March 23 at this point. But that's okay.

I think I got everything we wanted, along with a couple of backup reservations in case plans change. As I kept telling my parents, it's far easier to cancel reservations than to make new ones.
It think it is nice to have a plan instead of trying to think of where to eat at the last minute. Your parents could also skip the ADR if they felt like it.

It think it is nice to have a plan instead of trying to think of where to eat at the last minute.

Hi Wood Nymph!
:wave:
At this point, we have 1 reservation per day for Monday-Sunday, except Saturday when we might end up lunch at 50's Prime Time and dinner at Space 220 lounge. I think that will give us a good balance between knowing where to eat and staying flexible. I have pretty good ideas of where I want to do QS most days, but I'm willing to be flexible on those. Maybe I'll write up my QS wish list next!

Following along. Looking forward to reading more.
Hi DLo!
I'm glad you joined me.
:bounce:

Reactions: DLo
Thoughts on dining...

Dining personalities:

Me - I'm willing to eat almost anything, but overall try to eat pretty healthily. Lots of fruits and veggies. Trying to eat more vegetarian meals and fewer meals with red meat. Also, I find that too much dairy is not good for my digestion (sigh). I'm willing to break my own rules and eat food that's not good for me, but not all the time. Tea all day every day.
DH - Again, wide ranging palate. We're both foodies, but he's generally more critical of low-quality food. He's done a range of diets - keto, IF, etc. He may try for an IF-type diet while we're there, but I'm guessing he'll be willing to break whatever diet rules he's on. Black coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon. Willing to drink tea in the morning if he finds the coffee unacceptable.
Kiddo - Loves fruit, cheese, carbs. Fairly adventurous eater.
Buddy - The picky one. Not super picky, but prefers kid-pleasing fare.
In general the four of us prefer 2 meals a day (snacks when we get hungry).

Grandma and Grandpa - Adventurous eaters, like good food, but also greasy-spoons done well. Prefer 3 square meals a day, plus plenty of black coffee. Not as picky about their coffee as DH. Maybe a tea in the afternoon.

Mornings:
I will bring a hot water heater and tea with me. I am picky about my black tea in the morning. DH, G & G can try the coffee in the room or at the Marketplace. If they don't like it, they'll have to wait until we get to a Starbucks.

I'm planning to do a grocery order so that we will have fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, and granola bars. Maybe some carrots too. That should be enough for our family in the mornings and afternoon snacks. I'm also planning to stop at the French bakery on our Epcot days and take stuff back to the room. I think G & G will be good with fruit and pastries, but if that's not available, then they will probably go to the Marketplace, Boardwalk Bakery, or the QS at the Swolphin for breakfast.

Daily Plans

Day 1 - Saturday - EPCOT / DHS
Lunch: F&G Food Booths or QS - so many possibilities - I'm interested in Regal Eagle, Katsura Grill, Kringla Bakeri, or of course Les Halles, or maybe Tangieriene Cafe.

Must remember to get pastries before leaving!

Dinner: at DHS. Possibilities: BaseLine Taphouse, Docking Bay 7, Ronto Roasters, Brown Derby Lounge

Day 2 - Sunday - Kennedy Space Center
Fruit and pastries for breakfast
Lunch at KSC
Dinner on the way back. Maybe somewhere in Orlando. Portillos, 4 Rivers Cantina are a couple that come to mind that have been recommended.
If for some reason we're back early, then QS at Disney Springs or take the Skyliner to Riviera / Caribbean Beach for QS.

Day 3 - Monday - MK / EPCOT
Breakfast in room / at resort.
Lunch at BOG.
Afternoon snack - Dole Whip / Citrus Swirl
Dinner - A light dinner at the resort before heading to EPCOT for the evening. Probably one of the bars/lounges/marketplaces at Beach/Yacht Club. Looking at the menus, it looks like there are lots of good options depending on what we want. If we're feeling adventurous and energetic, we could go to Primo Piatto at the Riviera. Alternatively, head to EPCOT earlier than planned and go to Sunshine Seasons, which would be a good location to start riding rides for the evening.
Dessert - from a food booth? Gelato in Italy? Karamel Kuche? Sunshine Seasons if we're there.

No need to pick up pastries on the way out, because we have a breakfast ADR ...

Day 4 - Tuesday - free day
Breakfast at Ale & Compass.

After breakfast, we will probably split up, with those wanting to do water slides heading to Typhoon Lagoon (Buddy is the only one who really wants to do this, and it is quite possible that I will be going with him). I'm guessing everyone else will head to Disney Springs for the afternoon.
Those of us at Typhoon Lagoon will get something from Leaning Palms.

I'm sure those going to Disney Springs will be able to find something...
Maybe they'll even pick up something from Amorette's or Gideon's for us!

Dinner will depend on appetites and energy levels. We could meet up at Disney Springs, or we could just grab something at BCV. Or we could try to meet up at Coronado and have dinner at Three Bridges...

Disney Springs QS that I've got my eye on:
D-Luxe Burger, Polite Pig, Blaze Pizza, 4 Rivers Food Truck, Morimoto Asia Street Food (my kids love good ramen!).

To be continued....

Last edited:
Dining thoughts... continued...

Picking up with -

Day 5 - Wednesday - EPCOT / MK
Breakfast? I don't know...
I'm good with having fruit and tea and waiting until we get to EPCOT (France) for more food. G & G will figure something out. They're usually up earlier than we are anyway. Seriously, they get up at 6:30am all the time, even though they're retired. I have kids in school, and we're getting up at 7:30am. Although when I had to commute it was earlier. Ugh.

Lunch - Reservation at Space 220, but I'm not sure whether we'll keep it??? I'd rather just do the lounge, and we have a reservation for that on Saturday.
Maybe we keep it, or maybe we snack at the F&G food booths.

Dinner - Fingers crossed I can convince everyone to detour over to WL for Geyser Point (another reason to not stuff ourselves at lunch). I want to take the monorail and the boat and explore WL! This seems perfect in between an afternoon at EPCOT and an evening at MK.

Otherwise, maybe I will try again for the Jungle Skipper Canteen ADR. Or Columbia Harbour House for QS.

Day 6 - Thursday - free day
Breakfast at Topolino's Terrace!! Yay!! I think this is the ADR I wanted most (personally), although it's a tough call between this and Space 220.

It's a free day, so we'll see what we feel like doing. I want to go resort hopping (especially if we don't make it to Geyser Point on Wednesday).
In that vein, places I'd like to try around Bay Lake:
Contemporary - maybe Steakhouse 71? Is that chocolate cake good? I love chocolate!
Poly - seems like it's tough to get into Trader Sam's. If we happen to be there at a good time, I'd like to go, but if it doesn't happen, that's okay.
Also, more Dole Whip?
Grand Floridian - not sure about the Enchanted Rose Lounge... but I've heard good reports of Gasparilla Island Grill
Wilderness Lodge - Geyser Point (obviously), and Roaring Fork, and Territory Lounge
Fort Wilderness - P & J's Southern Takeout

And early to bed tonight!

Day 7 - Friday - Animal Kingdom
Early Entry! We'll need to rise and shine bright and early to go see Pandora.
Breakfast - we will definitely plan for a stop a Creature Comforts! (or I guess maybe Pongu Pongu or Tamu Tamu... but I'm going to guess that Starbucks will win for the coffee drinkers... Interesting that they all have alliterative names...)

What happened to the Royal Anandapur Tea Company? I had seen it in a travel guide, but now I find no mention of it on Disney's website.

Lunch - Satu'li Canteen. It will be out of the way, since I'm hoping to ride both FOP and Na'vi River early in the day, but I've heard so many good things!

Dinner - Boma!

Day 8 - Saturday - DHS & ?
Early Entry again!
Breakfast - probably Trolley Car Cafe (...Starbucks again...)
Otherwise, maybe a breakfast wrap from Ronto Roasters? Or Woody's Lunch Box? We can't overeat, because we need to leave room for:

Lunch - ADR at 50's Prime Time Cafe
and then...

Dinner - ADR for Space 220 Lounge!

I'm a little nervous about heading to EPCOT on a Saturday night in March - I've heard that World Showcase gets too rowdy. But it also depends what we still want to experience on our last evening in the parks. EPCOT? MK? More DHS? We could always hop more than once if that's what's called for.

Day 9 - Sunday - Travel
:sad:
We have an ADR for Ale & Compass, but G&G's travel plans have already changed so that they probably won't have time for a sit-down breakfast. Depending on where everyone's travel plans end up, maybe we'll do the Ale & Compass breakfast on Tuesday, or maybe Sunday. (I wouldn't be opposed to both!)

And then we go home.
:sad:

Dinner - Fingers crossed I can convince everyone to detour over to WL for Geyser Point (another reason to not stuff ourselves at lunch). I want to take the monorail and the boat and explore WL! This seems perfect in between an afternoon at EPCOT and an evening at MK.
Geyser Point for the win! They have fantastic food and great service! Plus you just can't beat the location!
Lunch - Reservation at Space 220, but I'm not sure whether we'll keep it??? I'd rather just do the lounge, and we have a reservation for that on Saturday.
I would go for the lounge, then snack around at F&G.
Early Entry! We'll need to rise and shine bright and early to go see Pandora.
Breakfast - we will definitely plan for a stop a Creature Comforts! (or I guess maybe Pongu Pongu or Tamu Tamu... but I'm going to guess that Starbucks will win for the coffee drinkers... Interesting that they all have alliterative names...)

What happened to the Royal Anandapur Tea Company? I had seen it in a travel guide, but now I find no mention of it on Disney's website.

Lunch - Satu'li Canteen. It will be out of the way, since I'm hoping to ride both FOP and Na'vi River early in the day, but I've heard so many good things!
Satu'li is excellent! I also highly recommend Nomad lounge...awesome food and bevvies!
And then we go home.
The saddest day! :(

Right now the only boat that goes to WL is the boat to/from MK. The resort boat that travels between the Contemporary - WL and FW isn't running right now.

How far in advance do we need to order Magic Bands? And does it matter if we order them all at once or at separate times? They seem to have different stock every time I look.
I will say, our postal service can be incredibly slow sometimes. There were Christmas cards that I received a full month after they were sent (from the U.S. to Canada). But it's not Christmas time now, so it should be slightly better...

How far in advance do we need to order Magic Bands? And does it matter if we order them all at once or at separate times? They seem to have different stock every time I look.
I will say, our postal service can be incredibly slow sometimes. There were Christmas cards that I received a full month after they were sent (from the U.S. to Canada). But it's not Christmas time now, so it should be slightly better...
I think you have to order them all at once. I would order them at least one month ahead of trip date. They need at least ten days to make the bands and another ten days for shipping. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter