Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow not trying to be nasty and maybe it’s just me but....a few of those princesses aren’t as beautiful as I’ve seen in the past....
mmm... look, i don't want to get into a whole fight here. but this comes off as a pretty gross comment. criticisms about the scaled back performances, sure, but making comments about the physical attractiveness of face characters seems a bit out of line. just wanted to point out how it came across.

Considering the money they are making at the moment, they can't use the pandemic excuse anymore to justify cuts.
The problem is GETTING PEOPLE, not 'cuts'. I have 3 cousins 16,18 and 20 that haven't worked at all during covid, and are just now going to look for a job. They didn't want to work wearing masks or being mask police. My wife, the same. She's now going back to work in a few weeks. We had a child care problem whenever the schools shut down, so it's easier that she didn't work.

I'm just starting to see fast food places finally be able to hire workers in the past few weeks. Our local Wendy's had ONE person cashing, making food and giving out the food for all the breakfast hours for the past 6 months. That JUST changed. And it wasn't due to Wendy's 'cost cutting' - it was because they couldn't find workers.

The problem is GETTING PEOPLE, not 'cuts'. I have 3 cousins 16,18 and 20 that haven't worked at all during covid, and are just now going to look for a job. They didn't want to work wearing masks or being mask police. My wife, the same. She's now going back to work in a few weeks. We had a child care problem whenever the schools shut down, so it's easier that she didn't work.

I'm just starting to see fast food places finally be able to hire workers in the past few weeks. Our local Wendy's had ONE person cashing, making food and giving out the food for all the breakfast hours for the past 6 months. That JUST changed. And it wasn't due to Wendy's 'cost cutting' - it was because they couldn't find workers.
If Disney paid a living wage, hey presto! I bet a lot more vaccancies would be filled. As i said they can't use Covid as an excuse anymore. They have the money but don't want to pay a decent wage. They couldn't care less about complaints where cuts have been made. Asl ong as paycheck and the shareholders are happy....

If Disney paid a living wage, hey presto! I bet a lot more vaccancies would be filled. As i said they can't use Covid as an excuse anymore. They have the money but don't want to pay a decent wage. They couldn't care less about complaints where cuts have been made. Asl ong as paycheck and the shareholders are happy....

A 'living wage' with money to pay for child care needs to be over $35/hour. NOBODY can pay that for an entry-level job. That has been the main problem since schools were shutting down or going remote all the time.

Even if my teenage cousins were paid $20/hour - they would NOT work with masks. "living wage" has nothing to do with it - the working environment for most everyone did. Nobody is forced to work just because pay is higher. I've got a few friends who have quit work and are making $1,000+ a week on TikTok/YouTube. Wonder how many of those out-of-the-mainstream-workforce people there are.

Wow not trying to be nasty and maybe it’s just me but....a few of those princesses aren’t as beautiful as I’ve seen in the past....
mmm... look, i don't want to get into a whole fight here. but this comes off as a pretty gross comment. criticisms about the scaled back performances, sure, but making comments about the physical attractiveness of face characters seems a bit out of line. just wanted to point out how it came across.

I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with their looks, but they look older than I'm used to seeing the cast members who play princesses are and that's a bit jarring (though it could be just bad makeup application). I don't know anyone who works there personally any more but maybe they raised the age limit? I'm pretty sure they used to have pretty strict guidelines about height, age, weight, etc. for face characters.

EPCOT's Mary Poppins attraction lives according to Disney CEO Bob Chapek

In response to a question at the 2022 Shareholder Meeting, Chapek said that the project is in a holding pattern currently, but looks forward to refunding the Mary Poppins ride in the future.

Now THAT is exciting, just watched Mary Poppins last week with the family and DD was wishing there was a real cherry tree lane in Disney. Mary Poppins and Winnie the Pooh were the first films that she ever willingly sat through for years.

A 'living wage' with money to pay for child care needs to be over $35/hour. NOBODY can pay that for an entry-level job. That has been the main problem since schools were shutting down or going remote all the time.

Even if my teenage cousins were paid $20/hour - they would NOT work with masks. "living wage" has nothing to do with it - the working environment for most everyone did. Nobody is forced to work just because pay is higher. I've got a few friends who have quit work and are making $1,000+ a week on TikTok/YouTube. Wonder how many of those out-of-the-mainstream-workforce people there are.

It's not just about the money, it's about the dignity. Nurses are arguably paid decently but they are quitting in droves because of the toxic patients that have been abusing them physically and mentally during this pandemic (I've personally heard about patients throwing bodily fluids, objects such as bed pans, and saying things you would carry in your soul for the rest of your life). As long as companies are willing to allow their employees to be treated this way they are going to have to provide a very big carrot to entice people to work customer facing jobs again.

I think a big issue is that companies still see that minimum wage jobs as meant for teens or young adults and shouldn't be your 'career'. I think the same goes with fast food and retail - unless you're in a managerial role, people need to realize certain roles have wage cap/ceiling. If you want to make more money, you need to train and search for a higher skilled role.

I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with their looks, but they look older than I'm used to seeing the cast members who play princesses are and that's a bit jarring (though it could be just bad makeup application). I don't know anyone who works there personally any more but maybe they raised the age limit? I'm pretty sure they used to have pretty strict guidelines about height, age, weight, etc. for face characters.

Well, I mean, Snow White for one is over 85 years old! She's doing all right if you ask me. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter