Disney Dining Died On 8/16/2010 RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boo hoo! If a five-star dining ezperience is so important on your vacation, why are you going to Disney (or even Orlando in general)? Why not go to a destination that's known for its food?

Anyway... for most of us that are looking for an excuse to take that trip to Disney, free dining is wonderful. But I also realize that, when it's all said and done, Disney is as corporate as it gets. I'm expecting higher prices for decent corporate food, nothing more.

This thread is lame. Go to Disney because it's Disney.

So will you say the same if the quality of the food lowers down to Six Flag levels? Will that still be acceptable just because it's Disney?

Maybe if the food cost wasn't so high we wouldn't expect a quality product?

Maybe if we had no past knowledge of what a good dining experience was like at WDW then we wouldn't know better or care? Maybe we wouldn't link the decline of a quality dining experience to the rise of free dining?

Sorry, I just can't give them a free pass when it's money out of my pocket.

And I don't let it bother my park experience. We are perfectly happy letting people jockey for ressies 180 days out and stress about getting into the better restaurants. We are fine with running off-site to eat. We are fine letting the DDP people wait for their tables while we are riding rides (actually, one thing the free dining does is lowers the crowds waiting for rides as they are in the restaurants).

I can't stand the food at Six Flags...people go there mainly for thrill rides, so the food there is not a priority. I agree...it makes McDonald's look gourmet, and I avoid McDonald's like the plague! And don't even get me started on Sesame Place...$9 for a kids' meal at counter service! At least at Disney last month, kids' CS meals were $5...and the food was better quality too.

I agreeee!!! We paid $65 for a few cheesesteaks and sodas at Six Flag Great Adventure and they were DISGUSTING! We haven't been to Sesame Place in years, but when we did we would go to the Burger King around the corner instead of eating in the park!

We think WDW does a fine job with the food. We like the dining plan and it works well for our family. We paid for it in a package in 2007 and since joining DVC we have paid to add on the DDP to our reservations. Yesterday I called and booked our first free dining package since we are between points and I'm thrilled about it! My kids enjoy places like Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace and I'm glad to use credits for it. :lovestruc

I don't understand how people can't afford to pay for the Quick Service or Standard dining plans. The Deluxe plan is a bit much though. We usually go during a regular season and get the Standard plan. We would spend way more than that for 3 meals, drinks, and snacks each day on any vacation we go on. I would also gather most people probably spend just as much, if not more, on other activities or souvenirs in a day.

Maybe I'm bitter because DVC members don't get to take advantage of the free dining.:rolleyes1

Quick Service Plan 2010:
Adults (Ages 10+) : $31.99 per day
Children: (Ages 3-9): $ 9.99 per day

Standard Dining Plan for 2010:
Adults (Ages 10+) : $41.99 per day (regular season)
$46.99 per day (peak season)
Children: (Ages 3-9): $11.99 per day (regular season)
$12.99 per day (peak season)

Deluxe Dining Plan for 2009 & 2010:
Adults (Ages 10+) : $71.99 per day
Children: (Ages 3-9): $20.99 per day

Going off property for meals has always been the dumbest, most laughable, knee-jerk reaction to the topic of Disney food. Leaving property is (at the very least) an hour of wasted time per day. No matter how much money you think you're saving, or quality of food you think you're gaining, you can always make that up. When on a Disney vacation, every minute counts and any time spent away from the resorts, parks, et al. is Disney winning and you losing big-time, because you've already paid for the tickets and time in the parks which you are willingly giving up. Don't rationalize it, don't justify it, don't excuse it. You can never get back the time that you've lost.

You need to get over yourself. :rolleyes1

Actually, YOU need to get over yourself!! ;)
I do not have children, and for us, aside from the parks , we also enjoy a nice, leisurely sit down dinner. We choose to not get the dining plan for our own personal reasons (As those that choose to get it), and we go off property quite a bit. That is what vacation is all about no? Experience. At least IMO.

As far as losing time, that is your problem :worship:
Everyone has a differnet budget, situation, etc.
While you may find it a waste other don't.. Just saying :rolleyes1

Please correct me if I am understanding this all wrong...Isn't free dining in 2011 still only good on certain dates? For example, next summer it still doesn't begin until August 19, 2011. There are also several other blocks of time it is not available, if you read the dates that it is available. So, it is not free dining for a straight 14-month period with no gaps.

This is from one of my newsletters that I receive from the Walt Disney Travel Company. (I work as a travel agent in my spare time.)

Booking and Travel Window:

* Booking Window: Aug. 16 – Dec. 20, 2010
* Travel Window: Valid for arrivals most nights Aug. 19, 2011 - Sept. 29, 2011
Ask for other great rates for arrivals most nights Oct. 1-7, Oct. 22-28,
Nov. 12-18, Nov. 27 – Dec. 2 and Dec. 10-21, 2010, and Jan. 1-5,
Jan. 9-13, Jan. 21 – Feb. 3, Feb. 11-17, Feb. 25 – March 3 and May 27 –
June 2, 2011

Boo hoo! If a five-star dining ezperience is so important on your vacation, why are you going to Disney (or even Orlando in general)? Why not go to a destination that's known for its food?

Anyway... for most of us that are looking for an excuse to take that trip to Disney, free dining is wonderful. But I also realize that, when it's all said and done, Disney is as corporate as it gets. I'm expecting higher prices for decent corporate food, nothing more.

This thread is lame. Go to Disney because it's Disney.

Because Disney is more that just rides... and the Dinning experience for some is a big part. That's all... Not sure about the "most of us" either... Remember it's all good no matter what you go to Disney for... We all Love it or we wouldn't be on the boards... :goodvibes

Just a small example:

2008 Le Cellier
7-oz Filet Mignon
glazed with Maple Barbecue Sauce
served with Cream Cheese
Mashed Potatoes $27.99

2010 Le Cellier
Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - with wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb butter sauce $34.99

In 2 years the cost went up $7 (25%)? Do most companies raise their prices when the economy is bad?

And most people who have eaten there will tell you the quality of the steak has gone down.

Hi! Great example.

My DH and I love BOMA.

2007 pricing including PRIME RIB -- $26.99

2010 pricing (August 10) withOUT PRIME RIB - $37.99

It's becoming way too expensive. We bypassed BOMA and went to Shula's with a $25.00 certificate that we got from Restaurants dot com. And what is it with their so called surcharge for bufffets? They increase their buffets $5.00 per person during summer time and other major holiday times throughout the year. It's just not Christmas but it's Christmas season and Thanksgiving season. It's not just one Holiday but weeks before the holiday and weeks after. It's called gouging the guest.

It is true that a room only discount can be better, in some cases, than free dining. For our upcoming trip, a room discount saves us considerably more than free dining would. But we still bought the dxdp. We like it because it makes our vacation all-inclusive, and because we enjoy the character meals more for the experience than the food. We can't get that experience off-site, and we are willing to pay for it. The food is fine, and we are usually able to eat it without too much suffering. But we are not food snobs. I absolutely agree that those who are more sensitive to food taste than we are should exercise their freedom to find the dining experience they desire, wherever it may be, even off-site. :scared1: I agree with what other posters have said about costs rising and quality declining in many places, not just WDW. I would chalk it up to the economy and inflation, not just free dining. Oh, and I also agree with what a previous poster said about how free dining isn't really free. I don't think very many people are naive enough to think that anything is really free.

There are plenty of people who do indeed go to WDW for the food (or at least consider food to be something more than what you get when you are hungry while touring the parks or a by-product of easy character greetings.) The food blogs (official and unofficial) are popular; so is the Food and Wine Festival.

I believe that if they are going to hand out free dining with reservations then DVC members should at least get half off dining during those times. I spend more money on DVC than the normal guest who visits every 3 years. Throw us a bone Disney.

I believe that if they are going to hand out free dining with reservations then DVC members should at least get half off dining during those times. I spend more money on DVC than the normal guest who visits every 3 years. Throw us a bone Disney.

Like myself and others have said, Disney is not "handing out free dining". People who get that are paying rack rate for their rooms, which in many cases costs far more than getting the dining plan for "free" saves them. Disney is running "free dining" to fill up empty non-DVC resort rooms, while getting people to pay as much for the rooms as possible.

DVC members already get lots of perks non-DVC members don't get, though I don't view "free dining" as much of a perk.

I knew this would happen with the DVC members.

Free dining exists to fill resort rooms, not to fill DVC rooms - they don't have trouble filling DVC rooms. Free dining isn't an award for frequent guests, it's a lure for new guests. If you're DVC and you want free dining you can forego using your points and fill one of the rooms they're trying to fill.

Like myself and others have said, Disney is not "handing out free dining". People who get that are paying rack rate for their rooms, which in many cases costs far more than getting the dining plan for "free" saves them. Disney is running "free dining" to fill up empty non-DVC resort rooms, while getting people to pay as much for the rooms as possible.

DVC members already get lots of perks non-DVC members don't get, though I don't view "free dining" as much of a perk.

I totally agree with your assessment. :thumbsup2

That is one of the problems with DVC- they kind of "have you" and don't really need to offer anything, as you are already coming.

I knew this would happen with the DVC members.

Free dining exists to fill resort rooms, not to fill DVC rooms - they don't have trouble filling DVC rooms. Free dining isn't an award for frequent guests, it's a lure for new guests. If you're DVC and you want free dining you can forego using your points and fill one of the rooms they're trying to fill.

Exactly! I'm a DVC member and don't expect to get any Free Dining as I know it's not a reward, but a marketing promotion to fill up the resort. If I want it, then I go pay cash using the Free Dining booking promo code.

As DVC members we do get some real 'perk's though! Tiger :)

I don't agree- DVC members are sold on the DVC way of travel as a cost savings, but you can get the same room at a DVC resort for less than the DVC'ers are paying due to steep room discounts and free dining promotions. It makes us think our DVC purchase was a waste of money.

I don't agree- DVC members are sold on the DVC way of travel as a cost savings, but you can get the same room at a DVC resort for less than the DVC'ers are paying due to steep room discounts and free dining promotions. It makes us think our DVC purchase was a waste of money.

Ummm...are you sure about that? As a DVC member I'm sure you've run the numbers...sorry you aren't feeling that your DVC purchase is not of value anymore. Last time I checked cash rates for DVC rooms at Beach Club and Boardwalk for a family member, they were still high, even with a 40% code.

Free Dining also doesn't seem to be the best discount for Deluxe resorts either, of which DVC would fall into that category, so not sure Free Dining will work out to a better savings than my cost. To get Free Dining, you would need to pay rack rate - you ready to shell out $600.00 - 700.00/night plus tax for a 1 bedroom (I am using this example as this is what we stay in when at DVC). My cost for my 1 bedroom this year, with my initial buy-in, plus dues is right around $200.00 CDN/night. That same room rack rate is over $700.00 plus tax. So, as you can see, I'm getting a great discount! Plus, I save $100.00 on each AP, and other dining, shopping and recreation discounts.

Hope you come to enjoy your DVC purchase once again, Tiger :)

For me being a DVC member means that Disney better do a good job with their dining if they are going to get me to eat there. If I'm going to be paying those high prices it better be worth it. I don't expect to get free dining and therefore Disney better expect me to spend my food dollars where I feel I get the most value for the money.

If you think DVC is a waste of money over free dining offers, you can sell your membership, rent the points out and use the cash to buy free dining reservations, use the points to book cruises or trade them out. There's lots of things you can do with the DVC membership. I figure when I bought it I was in for the long haul, when I feel like I'm not in for the long haul anymore (no more trips to Orlando) I can sell it. You're also anticipating when you buy it that you'll vacation at WDW for the next 30 years or so - maybe free dining will be offered for that long and maybe it won't.

What with the rack rate costs of the rooms soaring, I don't see how free dining will always beat DVC plus paid dining (if you want a dining plan). Remember you always must pay rack rate to get free dining. If you'd rather have a DVC room than a value or moderate resort room it still makes sense for the long term.

If you're talking about the free upgrades people were getting to OKW and SSR from the values with free dining, or the British promotion (room discount plus free dining at SSR), that's not a lot of persons getting those, and the upgrades are distributed randomly so most of those who booked Pop Century are getting Pop Century.

For its first twenty years WDW dining was at best pretty good. This started to change in the late nineties as Disney realized the Food Channel was creating a new generation of gourmets who wanted a great meal as well as a theme park experience. Now the resort offered almost a dozen excellent to outstanding restaurants.

Then came a series of blows: a recession in 2000-2002, 9-11, and Disney's decision to keep expanding its hotel space without hiring the manpower to staff them or the customers to fill them. Voila: the dining plan is introduced.

Once again, I don't expect great meals in a theme park restaurant. I'm sorry, I just don't; there's simply too many mouths to feed. If Le Cellier and Bistro de Paris offer diluted, duller menus in 2010, it's still better than what they offered in 1996 or 1985 when American palates still weren't comfortable with foreign cuisine. I also don't expect great food at a buffeteria like Chef Mickey's, where food is not the attraction.

Now, if the quality's dropped in the quieter signature restaurants like Citricos, Artist Point, Flying Fish, and The Wave, then we have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter