• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dining Died On 8/16/2010 RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we supposed to make a grand statement by saying, oh no don't give us the dining plan as the food quality will most likely have to suffer.

I totally agree with this point!!

If it was a different promo, we'd be using that promo. And if there was no promo, we'd still be going.

Yep!! We've gone with no promo four different trips & then lucked out with the buy 4 get 3 on our last trip. I had already booked last week for our next trip. The Free Dining is just a bonus, saving our family about $1600. (We're 4 "adults" & 1 child so DDP runs us roughly $200/day.)

If you are staying Deluxe, yes, the room discount is a far better deal than Free Dining. HOWEVER, a family staying at a Value resort saves $$ with Free Dining.

Moderates too, especially for families with "adult" children.

All this assumes people are planning to eat exactly as the dining plan (whichever version is offered) dictates. If people vary from the types of food offered within the DP, or even eat offsite, there's no way "free dining" is a savings for them, no matter where they're staying.

We stay on property with no car. We like to be surrounded by Disney and not have to worry about transportation. I also knew going in what the dining plan offered. If I had planned on straying from that, that would have been my decision and not really Disney's fault. If someone has booked on Disney property, gotten the DDP, rented a car, and choose to get in that rental car, drive off property to the nearest Chili's chain restaurant, then realize they have credits left and the plan wasn't a savings for them then yes, that's their decision. Next time they won't take part in the DDP, free or not.
This is only the current trend. I don't think free dining is going to be around until we're all in the ground.

But I cant help but wonder .... with all the offers of free dining and gift cards and discount room only rates, the money has to be recovered from somewhere and with the DxDDp going for $78/per person per night of stay, I'd say they have made a start in the recovery process. As much as I love food, I just dont think I could ever eat $78 worth in one day. I think Disney is counting on this.

So for us --- I think the DDp is history.

That recovery, vis a vis "free dining", is made from charging rack rates for the rooms.

Ok.. so where do you go off property that is so much better, that is worth your time? :confused3:confused3:confused3

I think you're wrong... Free Dining is a great incentive for some families.. (mine included)... I'm not saying it's the best value for every family, but when you have a large family, and the cost of food is per person, but the room rate is per party... our best discount is the free dining... a 30 or 40 % off of a room charge is not as great of savings for us as saving money on 6 people eating every day.... For example... we'll stay at a moderate resort... @ 150 per night in value / free dining season..... a 30 room discount only saves us about 50 a day... (rounding everything off)... but.. where can I feed my family of 6 2 meals plus a snack for 50 a day? not on, or OFF Disney property.

6 people you need 2 rooms or a 2 bedroom you need to double your numbers and your savings quickly dwindle

Coming from a newbie who has never been to disney and planned my trip for a family of 6 it was WAY less expensive to stay off property so the free dining thing never applied to us, but I did price out all my options. I even got a 40% off pin and it was still less:sad2: I can say that the few ADR's that I do have I am now starting to re think. My hubby and I love food and I am soo not excited to spend that kinds of money for crappy food and service. I've seen several threads about the service and food. Just sad that so many feel they can't get a decent meal at this place with ALL the money we spend to visit Disney each year...:confused:

To the PP...please correct if I'm wrong, but I've never been able to find a better price than with free dining. Since we choose to stay in a value resort..the room only discounts aren't that big. But I agree...def. not as good of a value as when we went in 2007 and got the appetizer and gratuity free too. Also, we go in value season so the room prices are already pretty low. Basically...for our family...we are saving an around $110 a night....no discount can beat that. right?:confused3

For starters, the 4/3 and 5/2 discounts that included rooms and tickets in the discounts were steeper discounts, at any resort. A larger % discount on just the room might do it as well, at any resort, though "free dining" would probably be better than a 25% off a value that seems to be the best other discount recently.

40% off a deluxe room is almost always going to be a significantly better deal for the guest's bottom line than "free dining". I know it was for us, especially since we don't like to eat TS meals daily, or even every other day, since the quality has dropped precipitously in the last decade or so.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the 4/3 or 5/2 discounts since sometime last year. Who knows if room-only discounts will eventually be given out for the same liberal time frame next year like "free dining" is being offered.

I would indeed be very sad if all other discounts were phased out for the sake of "free dining."

But I cant help but wonder .... with all the offers of free dining and gift cards and discount room only rates, the money has to be recovered from somewhere and with the DxDDp going for $78/per person per night of stay, I'd say they have made a start in the recovery process. As much as I love food, I just dont think I could ever eat $78 worth in one day. I think Disney is counting on this.

But you are not going to get the LITERAL value of the food you order at any restaurant. Every restaurant in the world has a mark-up from the actual value of the food. If it is the deluxe dp you are talking about, with 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, then yeah I think I would have to pay almost $78 for that in almost any restaurant I chose to eat at.

6 people you need 2 rooms or a 2 bedroom you need to double your numbers and your savings quickly dwindle

Right now, I still have a child under 3 so he doesn't count towards the room.. but he still eats! ;) (even better deal for me). We still fit in POR w/ trundle.

I think it is the end of the dining plan for us as well.

In years past we have always done the dining plan and thought it was a good deal. With the loss of the appetizer and the included gratuity, it became a break even deal. But now it just doesnt seem to be that good of a deal.

We are new DVC members and there are no "free dining" for us. There is no discounted dining plan. What is available is a 10% discount for DVC or AP which is essentially the tax or a 20% with TiW but if you are a party greater than 6 you have an 18% gratuity added to your bill so you only save 2% on your food purchase.

I dont begrudge people who are able to take advantage of the free dining. I have been one of those people in the past. And I know for some people it is a big perk in their trip planning.

Just to clarify, with TiW the automatic 18% gratuity is added regardless of party size, not just for parties over 6. My husband and I dine just the two of us and they always add the 18%. We save money because we used to always tip at least 20%, now we only add more if there is stellar service.

if it's that big of a deal.....drive down to Imperium Wine Room, Shannon's, Seito's, Kilwin’s or Columbia Restaurant. They're, what, 2 miles from WDW?

:confused3

Coming from a newbie who has never been to disney and planned my trip for a family of 6 it was WAY less expensive to stay off property so the free dining thing never applied to us, but I did price out all my options. I even got a 40% off pin and it was still less:sad2: I can say that the few ADR's that I do have I am now starting to re think. My hubby and I love food and I am soo not excited to spend that kinds of money for crappy food and service. I've seen several threads about the service and food. Just sad that so many feel they can't get a decent meal at this place with ALL the money we spend to visit Disney each year...:confused:

Don't cancel. You should go and form an opinion for yourself and then come back to the Disboards and share it.

Right now, I still have a child under 3 so he doesn't count towards the room.. but he still eats! ;) (even better deal for me). We still fit in POR w/ trundle.
so 1 would be free even without FD :lmao:
will you go in future years?
Next year you need to pay for 2 rooms period and here is the kicker your kids will want to go because you took them before, who could turn those sad faces down :thumbsup2
They will also want to eat at TS
I own DVC so here is a story we get Magic express as well.. first year 6 pack coors light in the store (may not be exact prices) 6.50 next year 12.25 last year 33.00 (5.50 each or about)
they are doing the same thing with the dinning plan getting people use to having the DP and raising the prices. sooner or later no FD....
we did buy the DP when the tips were included as it was a good deal we bill still buy it for short trips 3 nights tops and if I can get reservations at the now expensive places.. otherwise we do a lot better paying OP-- TS everyday for about or less then what we would pay for the QSDP---

I'm sorry, but this thread went from annoying to ridiculous.

We have been eating at Disney for years, pre and post DDP and the food was and still is good. I can't say I've ever had a bad meal at Disney - ever. There may not be quite as many choices on the menu as there were 10 years ago, but somehow have to chose from 6 entree's instead of 12 hasn't lessoned my Disney Dining experience at all.

I think there are a few people being WAY to over dramatic on this thread. But, by all means, if you think Disney Dining is now only for the poor pathetic slobs that are stupid enough to go for free dining, please make other meal choices, it can only make getting ADRs easier for the rest of us.

so 1 would be free even without FD :lmao:
will you go in future years?
Next year you need to pay for 2 rooms period and here is the kicker your kids will want to go because you took them before, who could turn those sad faces down :thumbsup2
They will also want to eat at TS
I own DVC so here is a story we get Magic express as well.. first year 6 pack coors light in the store (may not be exact prices) 6.50 next year 12.25 last year 33.00 (5.50 each or about)
they are doing the same thing with the dinning plan getting people use to having the DP and raising the prices. sooner or later no FD....
we did buy the DP when the tips were included as it was a good deal we bill still buy it for short trips 3 nights tops and if I can get reservations at the now expensive places.. otherwise we do a lot better paying OP-- TS everyday for about or less then what we would pay for the QSDP---

Yep... we're aware of that... but, we'll see where we want to be next year. We're already thinking that we'll bring grandma and grandpa with us, and one of them can stay in their room.

I still want to know what is sooooo good off property that is worth taking the time to drive to. Is it really that much better than staying on site? (rent a car too, add that into the cost of your off site meal. I know some people will have their own cars, but not everyone) the food is not bad.. some people like to be debby downers and think negative about everything because it's not what it used to be. I know a lot more people would be upset if they took away the dining plan. I agree that it shouldn't be offered all year round... maybe in value season when they are trying to fill the rooms. and I also agree that it's not as great as it used to be. We were there when the appys and gratuities were included.. but I'm not complaining. Disney has to make modifications to the plan to make it work for them. they are a business and are in it to make $.

I'm sorry, but this thread went from annoying to ridiculous.

We have been eating at Disney for years, pre and post DDP and the food was and still is good. I can't say I've ever had a bad meal at Disney - ever. There may not be quite as many choices on the menu as there were 10 years ago, but somehow have to chose from 6 entree's instead of 12 hasn't lessoned my Disney Dining experience at all.

I think there are a few people being WAY to over dramatic on this thread. But, by all means, if you think Disney Dining is now only for the poor pathetic slobs that are stupid enough to go for free dining, please make other meal choices, it can only make getting ADRs easier for the rest of us.

Nobody has called people on the DDP any names whatsoever. We are debating how the Dining Plan and the "free" dining plan have effected the dining at WDW. You yourself have indicated that indeed it has.

I still want to know what is sooooo good off property that is worth taking the time to drive to. Is it really that much better than staying on site? (rent a car too, add that into the cost of your off site meal. I know some people will have their own cars, but not everyone) the food is not bad..

I mentioned one place earlier, but I guess it wasn't read, because you keep repeating your question. Other people have specifically mentioned places off WDW property as well.

- Ruth's Chris is the place I mentioned earlier. And yes, I'd happily drive off WDW property to eat there. I've driven from where I live to the RC in Louisville (over 2 hours away) pretty much just to eat there. Yes, we have our own car while at WDW normally.

- Other places that WDW no longer matches in quality (IMO): Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Bonefish Grill, Macaroni Grill, PF Chang, and about 100 other chain restaurants I can't remember the name of. All of the ones I specifically named are within maybe a 10-15 minute drive of WDW property.

I'd prefer not to drive off WDW property, but if the quality of the dining at WDW continues to deteriorate and the cattle call atmosphere associated with the dining plan ("free" or paid) does not end, we'll be doing it more and more in the future.

This is only going to get worse, so I'm closing it before it does. It's now an argument between those who love Disney dining and those who don't, and it's not reallly helping anyone plan vacations or dining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter