• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Plan Prices: Too Much???

In a way I am glad this happened for my family. I normally would do the deluxe plan because I do like signature dining and of course I would plan to eat at the most expensive places eating the most expensive entrees in the past. It was awesome that the tip and tax was always included, you didn't have to worry about anything...but all that has changed gradually in the last few years. It used to be a deal, convenient, and felt "fun " because you never had to really look at the final check.

Now you have to look because you have to leave a tip. So you will still have that sticker shock and wonder if you are getting taken advantage of. Not to mention it's TOO much food.

Well now for my future trip, I am looking at other places that weren't ever on the plan, (like Blue Zoo) and getting rather excited.:goodvibes

My family will order what it wants, share apps, and even desserts because it was always too much food and we wasted so much last time. I am sure we will spend less money this way, not because we HAVE to, but because it is normally how we eat when we go out.

I am sure Disney will raise menu prices and then the plan will look more like a better deal to many again. But in the back of my mind, my husband isn't making anymore (in fact less money) than our last trip 5 years ago, but yet Disney really raised prices since then, and it is losing the "magic" for us. I feel it's like playing those carnival games, where they are designed for anyone to rarely win, but yet you keep trying because there is a chance for a shiny prize...

well I am beginning to give up on Disney.:(

It's like a trap whether you do the dining plan or not, if you are still eating and playing at Disney, they still are leading you around by the nose and making money regardless because the food is way overpriced anyway.

No question, if your wish is to stick to on-property restaurants, AND you want TS lunch and signature dinner every day, and you want appetizers and desserts with every meal, and you always order steak -- the DxDP will still save you money. But just cutting out a few apps, snacks and desserts over the trip, maybe not always ordering steak, and the DxDP is no longer cost effective.
Agree on the sentiment, the math works out different depending on what is being skipped. (As a note, I typically leave 2-3 credits (out of 27) totally unused, and I'm still coming out $200 ahead of cost, so even if I were to skip a couple desserts and/or apps, and drop down an order or 2, I'd still be coming out ahead. Maybe not as ideal as you prefer*, but still ahead.)

1) No judgment, but do you really eat steak for lunch and dinner every day?

2) 1 consideration for you -- you can get 20% off coupons for Shula's. Meaning you can get a truly good steak, plus app, plus dessert and beverage, all for about $55.
So $5 worth of snacking $35 oop TS lunch, plus big steak dinner at Shula's.. And you're still under 2013 DxDP pricing.
1) Yes. More or less. As an example of how I dined last year... here's a meal by meal breakdown... Entrees only, since that's what we're talking about here. I did have apps and desserts at most of these meals though a few of the apps were salads, and I did skip dessert at Maya Grill and LTT. Most of my snacks were in SmartWaters as well, with a few Dole Whip floats thrown in. I still broke even by day 7.
  • Day 1 - L: Cantina (Tacos de Carne), D: Jiko - Filet
  • Day 2 - B: Kona (Tonga Toast), D: The Plaza (Meatloaf)
  • Day 3 - L: Mama Melrose (NY Strip), D: Kona (NY Strip)
  • Day 4 - L: Marrakesh (Lamb Shank), D: Hacienda (Arrachea)
  • Day 5 - B: Tusker House, D: Boma
  • Day 6 - L: San Angel Inn (Carne Asada), D: California Grill (Filet)
  • Day 7 - L: Untamed Lunch @ Sanaa (Paid OOP), D: Flying Fish (NY Strip)
  • Day 8 - L: The Wave (Buffalo Buger), D: Le Cellier (Filet)
  • Day 9 - L: Tusker House, D: Maya Grill (Tacos de Ribeye)
  • Day 10 - L: Liberty Tree Tavern (Burger)
So, yup. It's a lot of the same, but it works for me. I don't get bothered by eating the same (or similar) things every day. It's part of my being super picky. (And, as a strange side note, I haven't eaten more than snacks since Sunday afternoon right now...I think I'm saving room already...2 months ahead of time)

2) Sure, but I'm still planning for 2012. Plus, since I got in under the FD discount as a room discount would have totaled about $100 over 9 nights (due to the fact that the discount was only available for 2 nights of my stay, and it was pretty small to begin with), this means that I'm paying roughly $44 per night for food ($100/9 nights, plus $33 per night DxDDP upgrade). So, that $55 price point comes in above what I'm already spending for the entire night.

Now, for 2013, I'll be reevaluating as always (I've always reevaluated each year, never assumed that it would save me money from the get-go, and, in fact, actually paid for the plans each year as room discounts were cheaper, the joys of traveling solo :() and we'll have to wait and see to figure out what makes the most sense at that point. I did just plug in the 2013 prices into my upcoming trip, and I was still coming out ahead (This trip uses 23 of 27 credits, and a couple of those at QS instead of TS). Granted, not by much (~5%), but still ahead. So, we'll see what the plans have in store for the trip and see what it comes out to in the end.

Now, I freely admit, I'm not norm...erm...your typical dining plan user. Either due to my situation, my trip plans, or the amount of forethought I put into the plans, I always make sure to come out ahead and that it's what's best for me. I also never state that they'll work for everyone, as they won't (and it's not even that extreme where they won't work). But, until they stop working for me, and as long as they are the best cost to value (objective and subjective) ratio for my trips and my situation, then I'm going to continue using them. When they reach that point (and 2013 may very well be that point, I admit, I just haven't done the math or the planning yet), then I'll do something else.

*As a note on this point, you'll be happy to know that in my "Potential Issues" area of my spreadsheet, it now calls out if you are saving less than 10% overall on a plan and asks you to take a second look to make sure the structure works since the savings is low :). I wrote that in with you in mind here.

• Day 1 - L: Cantina (Tacos de Carne), D: Jiko - Filet
  • Day 2 - B: Kona (Tonga Toast), D: The Plaza (Meatloaf)
  • Day 3 - L: Mama Melrose (NY Strip), D: Kona (NY Strip)
  • Day 4 - L: Marrakesh (Lamb Shank), D: Hacienda (Arrachea)
  • Day 5 - B: Tusker House, D: Boma
  • Day 6 - L: San Angel Inn (Carne Asada), D: California Grill (Filet)
  • Day 7 - L: Untamed Lunch @ Sanaa (Paid OOP), D: Flying Fish (NY Strip)
  • Day 8 - L: The Wave (Buffalo Buger), D: Le Cellier (Filet)
  • Day 9 - L: Tusker House, D: Maya Grill (Tacos de Ribeye)
  • Day 10 - L: Liberty Tree Tavern (Burger)

This isn't a moral judgment my friend. But that diet poses serious health risks. For good reason, all medical professionals recommend limiting red meat intake. While there is nothing wrong with some red meat, the consensus is that more than 2-4 servings per week, will significant shorten life expectancy. Not just talking heart disease risk, even cancer risks go up significantly.
Considering that most restaurant portions are double sized, you're at 2-4 portions per day.

I won't harp on it, or say it again.

Just had a interesting thought while reading the first few posts on this thread. Do you think this is a foreshadowing of food prices going up across the board at WDW? Disney is pretty smart when it comes to making money. I'm assuming (sorry) that the dinning plans are profitable considering how much they promote them. They must know that at some point most people will realize that the plans are barely breaking even. The only reason I could see them continuing to raise prices is that either they want less people using the plans or that all the food prices are going up.

Just a thought.

This isn't a moral judgment my friend. But that diet poses serious health risks. For good reason, all medical professionals recommend limiting red meat intake. While there is nothing wrong with some red meat, the consensus is that more than 2-4 servings per week, will significant shorten life expectancy. Not just talking heart disease risk, even cancer risks go up significantly.
Considering that most restaurant portions are double sized, you're at 2-4 portions per day.

I won't harp on it, or say it again.
I understand, but I just don't care :p.

Keep in mind that that's my Disney splurge that I do once a year. At home, it's a bit more moderate. One meal a day (if that this week...) and much smaller portions. Still based on beef, but again, smaller and less frequent. At Disney though, I splurge because I like the restaurants. And since the menus are so limited, even the pasta dishes have crap I don't like (chicken, seafood, cooked vegetables) so that severely limits what I order. I'm not quite sure what exactly drives my distaste for other stuff, but it's a combination of texture and taste (even my beef has to be med-well to well, I know, blasphemy!)

I also smoke. So that's a bit more worrisome than splurging once a year on more beef/red meat than I "should" eat ;). I drink an excess of caffeine too (go figure right?). Not sugary drinks, my dentist yelled at me for that already (and I had to pay an arm and a leg because of it), just lots, and lots of caffeine. I'm a doctor's nightmare...or vacation fund.

Don't worry, I pay for my own health insurance and haven't used it for the past 10 years, so by the time it matters, I'll have paid in quite a bit ;)

But, none of this really pertains to the topic at hand, the base prices and use of the dining plans and whether or not they'll work for an individual who is different from me :) (In other words, we'll shift off of this side track and back over to the main topic here before Nala or Tricia smack me down :p)

I've done the dining plan twice, and both times I walk away saying "that was WAY too much food and soda! I'm never doing dining plan again!" And after just returning in April, I still think it is definitely too much food for me- and I am even a snacker! I won't get it anymore, especially once my daughter turns 3 and we'll have to pay for hers too. I find that it's cheaper if just buy what I want, nothing more. For example, who the heck needs dessert after every meal, PLUS a snack?!

Just had a interesting thought while reading the first few posts on this thread. Do you think this is a foreshadowing of food prices going up across the board at WDW? Disney is pretty smart when it comes to making money. I'm assuming (sorry) that the dinning plans are profitable considering how much they promote them. They must know that at some point most people will realize that the plans are barely breaking even. The only reason I could see them continuing to raise prices is that either they want less people using the plans or that all the food prices are going up.

People will realize its a bad deal? Disney tries to prevent this, by hiding the price of the plan. Go ahead and try to find the price listed somewhere on Disney's website. If you ask a phone CM, for the price, they generally won't tell you either. (they can quote you a "package price" with and without the dining plan, but they will not quote you the per person, per night, rate)

So that's for starters. Disney is misleading people about the price, to hide what a bad deal it us.

Secondly, do they want less people on the plan outside free dining? Maybe yes. They don't want to give dining discounts anymore.
So their position has become, "we won't offer a value driven plan anymore, but we'll mislead people into thinking there is still a value driven plan, and if people want to throw money at us for a lousy plan, we'll gladly take their money."

I understand, but I just don't care :p.

Keep in mind that that's my Disney splurge that I do once a year. At home, it's a bit more moderate. One meal a day (if that this week...) and much smaller portions. Still based on beef, but again, smaller and less frequent.

By my estimate, to make up for your Disney "splurge," you'd have to lay off beef entirely for 3-6 months.

This though may be a useful demonstration that a value driven use of the dining plan is not typically consistent with a normal (medically recommended) diet.
Not saying that eating healthy is 100% impossible on the dining plan, but it is difficult to obtain real value on the dining plan while eating healthy.

Not to smack anybody down like Cafeen said, but this isn't the place to discuss the adequacy of each other's diets. Although you are starting to tie it in to the costs of eating healthy on the DDP...my advice to readers is check the menus, and decide what type of items you'd order and ballpark what it might cost. Obviously vegetarians are going to come up with a lower cost than the complete carnivore.

This though may be a useful demonstration that a value driven use of the dining plan is not typically consistent with a normal (medically recommended) diet.
Not saying that eating healthy is 100% impossible on the dining plan, but it is difficult to obtain real value on the dining plan while eating healthy.
Whether or not the plan is healthy or not, doesn't particularly fit within this conversation. It's probably a good one to have, but I don't know if it would end up too heated for this boards. Some people do have a tendency to get defensive, especially when it comes to personal things such as eating habits and spending habits. It still would certainly be interesting to read though, and may shed some light into some trends of people who choose the plan vs those who don't, or at least provide better understanding when attempting to guide people to the right choice. Maybe I'm too idealistic for this though and the defensive nature of most people (myself included, obviously :p) would get the better of them and it'd turn into another FP-style "debate".

Now, for the other half (and this ties into Nala's quote below), eating habits in general do certainly affect the value you'll receive from the plan. This is one reason that we both typically use the moderate range when comparing prices (since, we know I'm abnormal :p, and it's a good method to estimate "getting what you want" without skewing the numbers to either side). It's also why, when I do my list of questions (which, strangely, I haven't had to do for a week or two now...hm...) one of them specifically states "from the higher end of the menu". If you're a vegetarian or only eat chicken, you're not likely to order from that higher half to third of the menu. Same is applied for the number of courses and even down to the level of restaurants you wish to dine at.

Not to smack anybody down like Cafeen said, but this isn't the place to discuss the adequacy of each other's diets. Although you are starting to tie it in to the costs of eating healthy on the DDP...my advice to readers is check the menus, and decide what type of items you'd order and ballpark what it might cost. Obviously vegetarians are going to come up with a lower cost than the complete carnivore.
Totally agree. It's up to the user to decide how they wish to eat, and it's up to us to guide them to make the correct choice of Disney plans (if any) based on that info :).

By my estimate, to make up for your Disney "splurge," you'd have to lay off beef entirely for 3-6 months.

You are kidding right? Seriously? PLEASE take your holier than thou attitude elsewhere! I'm glad you lead a perfectly healthy lifestyle and feel the need to bash what people eat on VACATION- you will outlive me for sure. I know 1 thing is for sure though- I'll die happy:thumbsup2

Folks, please give it a rest about the diet stuff. Apparently Havoc and Cafeen are just having a discussion and they went a little off topic, don't expand on it please.

Folks, please give it a rest about the diet stuff. Apparently Havoc and Cafeen are just having a discussion and they went a little off topic, don't expand on it please.

Agreed. Cafeen and I were having a friendly discussion. I think he knows that I wasn't attacking him, (just as I would recommend to a friend who smokes, that they quit). Nor was I commenting on anybody else's dining habits.

I very well may have a discussion in another thread about the inconsistency between the dining plan and relatively rational eating habits, but I won't continue such discussion here, and I will not further discuss the individual eating habits of Cafeen or anyone else.

I'm a firm believer of the Dinning Plans...I always use them...either the regular or deluxe. Love the fact I dont have to worry about meals since they are included. I make my reservations, I get what we want & KEEP IT lol
Just as much as I love all inclusive resorts...Not have to worry about meals or drinks.

Over eating??? Well, we must be self-discipline. Quality??? Well, you must choose where to eat or stay...do your research...

I like my family to eat well...NOT A LOT...but food that's well prepared, healthy, and delicious.

This is why we dont do the dining plan, even the quick dining plan..Its better for us just eat when we want and what we want..We are going to do three sit down and the rest counter service..but we are paying out of pocket for everything..

its tough to decide I know that :rotfl2: I have been back and forth, just when I say we won't get it, my DH wonders if we will purposely order items off the menu that are cheaper? I say if the dining plan costs us 1,556.62, we could PROBABLY get away with putting 1,200.00 on a disney g.c and still eat at the same places. By not ordering Sodas with meals and desserts we could shave off some money, I hope ;) I need to be brave and download that spreadsheet! I am scared:rotfl:

its tough to decide I know that :rotfl2: I have been back and forth, just when I say we won't get it, my DH wonders if we will purposely order items off the menu that are cheaper? I say if the dining plan costs us 1,556.62, we could PROBABLY get away with putting 1,200.00 on a disney g.c and still eat at the same places. By not ordering Sodas with meals and desserts we could shave off some money, I hope ;) I need to be brave and download that spreadsheet! I am scared:rotfl:

If you are eating at ala carte restaurants primarily, and if you skip/share desserts, it will absolutely be cheaper than the dining plan, especially since your kids require adult pricing.
If 2013, pricing for your family would be $220 per night.
If you do $15 worth of snacking, and $50 for qs lunch (realistic if you share 2 desserts), would your dinner still be under $155?
If you order 4 $22 (about the midpoint on most menus) entrees, plus 4 $3 beverages, plus 2 $6 desserts-- total price, about $112. With tax, about $120.

So with getting 4 desserts instead of 8 desserts per day, your price is $35 less than the dinng plan, per day. Even if you ordered more expensive entrees, you come out way ahead by skipping the ddp.
Total price would be

thanks Havoc! Our list of places for next trip look like this so far

Ohana dinner
Biergarten Dinner
Tusker house dinner
Liberty tree lunch
Kouzzina dinner
Teppan Edo dinner
Sanaa dinner

you post makes sense! When on the dining plan we usually get 2 orders of carrots or grapes and 2 desserts with a CS. So not overly stuffing ourselves with dessert! At the TS we would get 2 to share between the 4 of us. And looking at the menus our choices at the al a carte sometimes are over 22. for an entree. Places like Teppan edo (the sirloin) but others like Liberty the entrees are a bit less. We also used our snacks quite often for breakfast when we got sick of our in room breakfast choices. I know it may be close....

thanks Havoc! Our list of places for next trip look like this so far

Ohana dinner
Biergarten Dinner
Tusker house dinner
Liberty tree lunch
Kouzzina dinner
Teppan Edo dinner
Sanaa dinner

you post makes sense! When on the dining plan we usually get 2 orders of carrots or grapes and 2 desserts with a CS. So not overly stuffing ourselves with dessert! At the TS we would get 2 to share between the 4 of us. And looking at the menus our choices at the al a carte sometimes are over 22. for an entree. Places like Teppan edo (the sirloin) but others like Liberty the entrees are a bit less. We also used our snacks quite often for breakfast when we got sick of our in room breakfast choices. I know it may be close....

Really looks like you are better off without ddp. Even Tusker House dinner is cheaper oop than the ddp. Liberty Tree Tavern lunch, Sanaa-- even with desserts, it's hard to break even at those restaurants. With the highest priced lunch at Liberty Tree tavern, AND dessert, you still lose money on the ddp.
You might save a few dollars at Biergarten and Ohana, but not if you do moderate qs. (Biergarten $35, plus $14 qs, plus $4 snack -- still lose money under the ddp)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter