• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Plan Prices: Too Much???

This just came to me: my ex MIL use to print the menus with the prices on it from WDW and that helped us out a lot!! I don't remember where she got them from, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows the link, cna you tell me please?? Thank you!!!:cool1:
AllEars.net, WDWInfo.com, and the official Disney site* all have menus. The AllEars and Official ones are probably more print friendly (now that AllEars has a "Print Friendly" option, and the official site ones are just PDFs).

Accuracy will depend on restaurant, some of AllEars/WDWInfo will be newer than the Disney site, some on the Disney site will be newer, all will be subject to change anyway :p.

*To find these menus on the official site:
  1. Go over to http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/
  2. Click "Where to Eat" at the top
  3. Click on the "Go" on one of the boxes under the Restaurant List heading on the right
  4. Filter the list however you want
  5. Click on the restaurant you want to see and the menus (if available) will be there.
Note: Not all menus are available on the official site, many of the non-Disney owned restaurants do not post them there. Also, I like to Right Click and open the restaurant in a new tab or window, as it saves having to refilter everything since Disney's web developers can't design a UI worth a ... um...you know ;)

I have done the math many times, sent emails to Disney saying I don't understand how marketing thinks it is such a good deal to keep increasing the prices. Because I drive, I don't need to stay at the resort or parks to eat. I have done the dining plan (mostly the "free" promotion). I stopped adding Table Service last year because of the increase when staying at value resorts. Now I just pay out of pocket for the few restaurants I want to visit. After this year, it looks like Quick Service will not work for me, because I can't see the savings.

To me it is just bizarre that Disney keeps increasing and taking away on this plan.

I agree with most, stop buying it or participating, send your emails to voice your opinion and they will eventually do something.

I have done the math many times, sent emails to Disney saying I don't understand how marketing thinks it is such a good deal to keep increasing the prices. Because I drive, I don't need to stay at the resort or parks to eat. I have done the dining plan (mostly the "free" promotion). I stopped adding Table Service last year because of the increase when staying at value resorts. Now I just pay out of pocket for the few restaurants I want to visit. After this year, it looks like Quick Service will not work for me, because I can't see the savings.

To me it is just bizarre that Disney keeps increasing and taking away on this plan.

I agree with most, stop buying it or participating, send your emails to voice your opinion and they will eventually do something.
Unfortunately, most people do not do the math. They see "save up to x%" and think it's a good deal, add to that the hard sell by phone-based CMs and they're more prone to buy it than not even if Disney is the one making out on the deal.

Even if everyone on this board agreed and didn't buy it, we'd make a tiny dent in the overall sales.

Unfortunately, most people do not do the math. They see "save up to x%" and think it's a good deal, add to that the hard sell by phone-based CMs and they're more prone to buy it than not even if Disney is the one making out on the deal.

Even if everyone on this board agreed and didn't buy it, we'd make a tiny dent in the overall sales.

There was a time when Disney promoted, "For just $42 per day...." That was the last price point, where they actually kind of promoted the price. "Just $55 per day" doesn't quite have the same ring!

The reality is, Disney now HIDES the pricing. If you book your package online, you just get a pop-up that says, "Disney recommends the dining plan which lets you save 15%! Click here to add it"

If you're not being astute, you might think you're just signing up for a 15% off savings certificate or something else. Unless you really dig deep, you actually have no idea what you're being charged for the dining plan. I think Disney counts on you just looking at the grand total and saying, "hmm, that seems ok... let me put in my credit card."

Disney isn't dumb. They hide the pricing, because if they revealed the pricing, it would hurt their business.

They're counting on people adding the plan out of habit and/or ignorance. Then they count even more so on people not using the plan efficiently.
And for people who do "maximize the plan," its still priced at a point where Disney does just fine. I doubt there is ever a situation anymore where there is any chance of Disney actually taking a "loss" on the plan. Even if you get $130 value out of the $100 DxDP, Disney's costs are still under $100, so they've still made money.

When the dining plan first came out it was advertised by Disney as a way to save "up to 40%" on meals, and it wasn't that hard to do.

The percentage they used in the advertising steadily got smaller. for 2013 they're saying "up to 15%" and you have to order the most expensive items all the time to get to that level.

And they always say "up to N%" as they have lawyers smart enough to tell them they shouldn't use language that would appear to guarantee a certain percentage of savings on a pre-payment program that depends entirely on the way the user implements it to realize savings.

There was a time when Disney promoted, "For just $42 per day...." That was the last price point, where they actually kind of promoted the price. "Just $55 per day" doesn't quite have the same ring!

The reality is, Disney now HIDES the pricing. If you book your package online, you just get a pop-up that says, "Disney recommends the dining plan which lets you save 15%! Click here to add it"

If you're not being astute, you might think you're just signing up for a 15% off savings certificate or something else. Unless you really dig deep, you actually have no idea what you're being charged for the dining plan. I think Disney counts on you just looking at the grand total and saying, "hmm, that seems ok... let me put in my credit card."

Disney isn't dumb. They hide the pricing, because if they revealed the pricing, it would hurt their business.

They're counting on people adding the plan out of habit and/or ignorance. Then they count even more so on people not using the plan efficiently.
And for people who do "maximize the plan," its still priced at a point where Disney does just fine. I doubt there is ever a situation anymore where there is any chance of Disney actually taking a "loss" on the plan. Even if you get $130 value out of the $100 DxDP, Disney's costs are still under $100, so they've still made money.

Agree with this and would add that Disney marketers are among the shrewdest on the planet when it comes to understanding and exploiting consumer psychology.

One aspect of consumer psycology that the dining plans take advantage of is our tendency to marginalize price differences where the price difference seems small relative to the overall price (as opposed to the absolute price difference).

For example, does it hurt more to pay $500 more than you have to for a new $30,000 car or does it hurt more to pay $500 more than you have to for a new $30 shirt?

In a similar vein, someone goes onto the Disney website to price a package. After selecting their resort and park tickets, a total shows up at the bottom of the page, represented as "$X,XXX." While looking over their package, they see a colorful link that asks "Do you want to save on dining?" So they check it out and, for kicks and giggles, tenatively select a dining plan. When they reprice the package, it still shows up as "$X,XXX." In other words, adding the dining plan doesn't seem that expensive relative to the overall price (especially if pricing a deluxe resort package).

However, if someone were to have independenty priced the dining plan first (before seeing the initial total package price), they'd probably have massive sticker shock (along the lines of, "who in their right mind would ever pay that much for a week of food?") But when you're already paying thousands for a vacation to begin with, what's another thousand (or two) among friends? Besides, it's your vacation. You deserve to pamper yourself.

This leads to the next aspect of consumer psycology that Disney exploits and, that is, our natural desire to have everything bought and paid for in advance. The so-called "peace of mind" factor. So combining this with our tendency to marginalize what we perceive as small relative price differences leads us to think, "when I originally priced the vacation, it was $X,XXX. When I added the dining, it was more, but still $X,XXX. And, if I add the dining, I can have peace of mind knowing that my dining is paid for and taken care of. Plus, Disney says I'm saving money by buying the package. So it seems like a win-win."

So we book the package with the dining (and feel all warm and fuzzy inside).

I consider myself fortunate that the DW and I will be going in October before the price hikes for 2013 occur.

I priced out the difference of what it would be between booking during the 25% off sale (this is for CBR) in Sept or FD in October and we'd only save around $300 by not including the dining plan, which we would easily go over on a 5 night vacation.

I then looked at what the cost of the DxDDP would be for us as a separate entity and it comes out to around $600. While I could definitely make the regular DDP work for us I feel for the extra $300 we get to try a lot of restaurants that we normally wouldn't be able to. Like others have said when you pay OOP the tendency to over-analyze receipts and being overly cautious with what menu items to order creeps in and can make the trip less enjoyable.

We were planning to pay OOP for breakfast at CRT for the DW's birthday which would cost around $105. Subtract that from the original $300 difference and I'm already under the $200 mark. If I were to factor in two filet and lobster dinners from Narcoossee's (we're born and bred New Englander's and find ourselves eating surf and turf when we can) with apps and desserts we'd be around $200 for that dinner alone compared to around $75 for a buffet at Ohana.

I think the best thing that can be gleamed from everyone else's opinions (whose are much more informative and detailed than mine) is that it really depends on the individual preferences. As we don't know when we'll be back due to DW going back to school and myself changing careers we really want to experience as much of the signature restaurants while we have the chance. Especially when seeing how much it will go up next year I feel it's best to take advantage of the lower pricing while there's still time.

This leads to the next aspect of consumer psycology that Disney exploits and, that is, our natural desire to have everything bought and paid for in advance. The so-called "peace of mind" factor. So combining this with our tendency to marginalize what we perceive as small relative price differences leads us to think, "when I originally priced the vacation, it was $X,XXX. When I added the dining, it was more, but still $X,XXX. And, if I add the dining, I can have peace of mind knowing that my dining is paid for and taken care of. Plus, Disney says I'm saving money by buying the package. So it seems like a win-win."

I agree with the "pay in advance" and "don't worry about what you order" aspect of the dining plan, and were among my many reasons for preferring it. As I said in previous post, I would still pick the free DDP over room discounts. However, when I have to activly work to make the DDP a "value" versus its costs, then that negates both of the above. (It also doesn't help that DD will be 10 the next time we go. If I put her on the DDP - then I have to pay $55+ a day for her, whereas if we just go to a restaurant and order a kids meal, it's a heck of a lot less.)

I do agree that many people will still buy the DDP just because they don't know any better. I can't worry about them...I only worry about me. And for me, I wish it was still a good deal. It's funny because I used to post on a lot of anti-DDP threads being very in favor of it. Guess not any more.

Agree with this and would add that Disney marketers are among the shrewdest on the planet when it comes to understanding and exploiting consumer psycology.

One aspect of consumer psycology that the dining plans take advantage of is our tendency to marginalize price differences where the price difference seems small relative to the overall price (as opposed to the absolute price difference).

For example, does it hurt more to pay $500 more than you have to for a new $30,000 car or does it hurt more to pay $500 more than you have to for a new $30 shirt?

In a similar vein, someone goes onto the Disney website to price a package. After selecting their resort and park tickets, a total shows up at the bottom of the page, represented as "$X,XXX." While looking over their package, they see a colorful link that asks "Do you want to save on dining?" So they check it out and, for kicks and giggles, tenatively select a dining plan. When they reprice the package, it still shows up as "$X,XXX." In other words, adding the dining plan doesn't seem that expensive relative to the overall price (especially if pricing a deluxe resort package).

However, if someone were to have independenty priced the dining plan first (before seeing the initial total package price), they'd probably have massive sticker shock (along the lines of, "who in their right mind would ever pay that much for a week of food?") But when you're already paying thousands for a vacation to begin with, what's another thousand (or two) among friends? Besides, it's your vacation. You deserve to pamper yourself.

Very well said. All true.

Saw a comedy show last week in Atlantic City.... The comic made a joke about how perception of money changes... "Oh.. just lost $500 at blackjack.. no big deal.... WHAT!!! THEY WANT TO CHARGE $9 for a in-room movie rental??? Not going to let them rip me off!!"

You see that attitude even expressed on the boards about the dining plan. The whole, "If I don't have the dining plan, I'll be stuck packing peanut butter sandwiches, because I refuse to pay Disney prices of $20 for an entree! But I'm ok with paying $55 for a dining plan that lets me get the $20 entree."

Somehow, for some.... there is a perception that Disney food pricing is a ripoff, but that if you buy the dining plan, then it's "ok." "I'm not being ripped off... I'm on the dining plan!"

And Disney is counting on the draw of an all-inclusive vacation combined with a misperception of good will in their brand. Just click this button and your vacation becomes all inclusive... don't need to worry about food costs. Hush, don't worry about the cost of the dining plan. You don't need to know the cost. We are Disney... you should trust us... We would never rip you off... so click the button.. trust us... you'll save money on dining and get a magical experience...

The real downside: Although we can educate ourselves and choose to skip the dining plan, there are those of us who would gladly use the plan if it was more cost effective... Go back to how it was a few years ago. But Disney has no incentive to make the plan cost effective, as long as there are enough people who book it out of ignorance.

I was really thinking of doing the dining plan until I looked at the posts of here. I have a family of 6 me and DH DD16 DS15 DD13 and DS2 at least that is what their ages will be when we come to Disney. We plan to stay at the AOA and I liked the idea of food being taken care of before but reading this forum I'm changing my mind. I don't want to pay extra for meals when it would be better to just pay OOP. This is our first time staying at the WDW resorts and I just like the convenience of not worrying about paying for meals but I know my kids aren't probably going to want to do too many table service meals so it really wouldn't be worth it for us.

Ok I did the math on the DDP vs. pay-as-you go.

We're staying for 8 nights. Each dinner will cost us about $120, and each quick serve will cost us about $30. Some higher, some lower, that's average.

For the stay, the DDP is about $1,000. If we paid-as-we-went at the same Disney restaurants it would be $1200. DDP = $200 savings.

Of course if we didn't buy the DDP we'd be making our own sandwiches, bringing our own drinks, carrying it around all day then driving somewhere to eat dinner in the Orlando area. Huge savings that way. But that kind of ruins the fun of trying all the Disney restaurants and the convenience of eating in the parks.

I am not trying to stir up trouble...but I don't understand the idea that you either bring a pb&j or have DDP. You would be willing to spend $1000 for DDP but not for food OOP? You could surely tweak the restaurants or what you order and come out around $1000 OOP and still have the fun of eating at Disney. I am not saying that DDP isn't the best fit for you, but don't know why there are two extremes.

I am not trying to stir up trouble...but I don't understand the idea that you either bring a pb&j or have DDP. You would be willing to spend $1000 for DDP but not for food OOP? You could surely tweak the restaurants or what you order and come out around $1000 OOP and still have the fun of eating at Disney. I am not saying that DDP isn't the best fit for you, but don't know why there are two extremes.

Yes, I'm perplexed with that fairly common attitude.
As if the only 2 choices are: Spend $150 packing sandwiches for the week, or $1,000 on DDP. As if there is nothing in between -- like spending $900 at Disney restaurants. (which easily can allow you to get more food than the DDP)

Yes, I'm perplexed with that fairly common attitude.
As if the only 2 choices are: Spend $150 packing sandwiches for the week, or $1,000 on DDP. As if there is nothing in between -- like spending $900 at Disney restaurants. (which easily can allow you to get more food than the DDP)

It's a psychological thing. When people buy an entire pkg with food included they feel like they are getting 'free food' b/c it's 'prepaid'. To walk in and pay $13 for a counter service meal or $42 for a steak at the yachtsman in REAL $$ is a tough pill to swallow for many people. BUT when they are on the DDP it's 'FREE' b/c it's 'prepaid'.

My husband and I are like this in a lot of ways too. We love all inclusive resorts in Mexico b/c they include all my alcohol and food. Sure- I paid 3K for the week but when I get there I have no expenses. Now say we booked a condo in cancun instead and paid 1400 for the week. That would leave us with 1600 for 'expenses' like food/drinks. We'd be huffing it to the local grocery to purchase our own food and making it in the condo. Not spending 1600 at restaurants.

It's just the mentality of actually spending the real cash that makes people cringe. People can put it in the back of their mind when they have a trip 'prepaid'. This is why many go the gift card route. They stay onsite, attach the gift cards to their KTTW cards and do their own version of the 'DDP'. I've read recently of many onsiters getting their GCs from Target at 5% off (via their Red Debit card) over the course of 6 months and putting all the cards toward their meals. That way when the time comes that $42 steak isn't $42- it's 'free'. :)

I've said it a few times (in a sense). However, I didn't mean it in this manner.

When I use the PB&J reference, I'm using it to illustrate two related points: 1) I COULD go cheaper than the DDP, always! and 2) bottom line savings is not always worth giving up the experiences you wanted.

For point 1, I do tend to include the interim step of "OOP, but at restaurants" in there. For example, while comparing my results, I may state that: DxDDP will cost me $1000 total, if I were doing the same but not paying with a plan, it'd cost me $1200 total, now, if I were going OOP, I'd change things up so I may only spend ~$800. Of course, I could also go the PB&J route and spend ~$25! Here, it's just an illustration that you can (pretty much) always go cheaper than anything. It's also more of joke than anything :) Since I do include that OOP but with real food step, you can see that it's not the extreme.

For point 2, it also highlights that the bottom line cost isn't always the most piece important to me. If it were, then I'd be happier on that cheap PB&J plan all week (and sometimes, I wish I could be!) Since the change in experience between when I'd do OOP and what I do on DxDDP may not be clear to everyone (which, I understand, it's pretty subtle at times), the obvious contrast between DxDDP and PB&J is. (And again, to cover my behind, I do mention both :p)

Then again, I'm not the norm when it comes to discussing the dining plans. I do admit that I am an optimist about it, I would much rather someone find out it doesn't work for them and skip it than just to say how "great" it is and have them waste money (or time, or food, or whatever). I strongly believe that every trip is different (not just every party, but every trip that party takes) and that each trip has to be looked at individually to insure that they are using the correct plan (if any at all).

For point 1, I do tend to include the interim step of "OOP, but at restaurants" in there. For example, while comparing my results, I may state that: DxDDP will cost me $1000 total, if I were doing the same but not paying with a plan, it'd cost me $1200 total, now, if I were going OOP, I'd change things up so I may only spend ~$800.

I agree with everything you said, just hi lighting this point...

When we talk about the deluxe dining experience, apart from Pre-paid, what constitutes deluxe dining?
There is no unanimous answer, but for me -- deluxe dining is lots of table service meals, lots of signature meals, some appetizers, some desserts and some snacks. Not necessarily 4 snacks/ desserts per day, not necessarily 2 appetizers per day. Maybe steak 1-2 times at most in a week.

As of 2013, I can dine at that deluxe level, while averaging less than $99 per day.

So I can basically get my "dream dining package" -- no pbj -- for less than the price of the dining plan.

Everyone knows that they can dine for less $$ than the dining plan if they pack pbj. While not universal, more people should realize they can dine for less $$ than the dining plan, AND get everything they desire.

For you Cafeen, what you desire is still more than $99 per day. Guess you have expensive tastes ;)

I agree with everything you said, just hi lighting this point...

When we talk about the deluxe dining experience, apart from Pre-paid, what constitutes deluxe dining?

For you Cafeen, what you desire is still more than $99 per day. Guess you have expensive tastes ;)
Deluxe dining, to me, and how I want to do my trip, is pretty much the way the DxDDP is structured. Apps, Entrees, Desserts, drinks bouncing between 2 single TS and 1 single, 1 signature meal per day. Obviously, this part differs between everyone and it just so happens to match up well for me. (Now the question, which came first, the plan or my desire to dine that way ;) ?)

As for taste, in a sense, yes. However, it's not like I choose steak over chicken because it's more expensive or because I like it more (while true, that connotation is different). It's because I like only steak (and other steak-like meats). Since I don't like chicken, pork, or any fish/seafood, my options are rather limited and trend toward the upper end of the menu. As such, my options in dining location overall are also more limited. I'm not going to make V&A's chef(s) get all twisted up for my one-track taste. Nor am I going to go into bluezoo or Il Mulano with my picky attitude where they're not ideal. I'll let them have their thing and find something on menus that I like. Now, Shula's does get left on the cutting-room floor due to this, but them's the breaks.

Again though, my situation is not the norm and I fully realize this ;).

Also, I haven't done the proper math for a 2013* trip just yet, if it ends up that it's worth it, to me, to not do the plan, then that's what I'll do. My frame of reference, for now, is on the trips I have done and I have in the works.

*I did SOME math for 2013, merely plugging in the new plan costs with my current trip. I still came out ahead, but it was much, much closer than it has been and it may make less sense moving forward. If that's the case, no harm, no foul. It's not like I'm obligated to purchase a plan at all :). I may bemoan the convenience, but the added flexibility, and the stop at Shula's, may make up for it :). That is, if the other chipping away of experience slows down and I decide to go back at all... but that's a whole different thread (of which, this one is certainly a factor).

Disney dining has become a huge ripoff over the past few years. Unless you eat sitdown for every meal and order super expensive stuff plus dessert on top of it, the dining plan is reaaaallly not worth it. It also uses up TIME I'd rather be spending in the parks or at the resort. I realize some people love Disney food and they love to eat at the "best" [$$$] places at Disney World--in their case the plans probably still work. Otherwise I can't see it being worth it if you're really trying to save money.

As for taste, in a sense, yes. However, it's not like I choose steak over chicken because it's more expensive or because I like it more (while true, that connotation is different). It's because I like only steak (and other steak-like meats). Since I don't like chicken, pork, or any fish/seafood, my options are rather limited and trend toward the upper end of the menu. As such, my options in dining location overall are also more limited. I'm not going to make V&A's chef(s) get all twisted up for my one-track taste. Nor am I going to go into bluezoo or Il Mulano with my picky attitude where they're not ideal. I'll let them have their thing and find something on menus that I like. Now, Shula's does get left on the cutting-room floor due to this, but them's the breaks.

Again though, my situation is not the norm and I fully realize this ;).

No question, if your wish is to stick to on-property restaurants, AND you want TS lunch and signature dinner every day, and you want appetizers and desserts with every meal, and you always order steak -- the DxDP will still save you money. But just cutting out a few apps, snacks and desserts over the trip, maybe not always ordering steak, and the DxDP is no longer cost effective.

No judgment, but do you really eat steak for lunch and dinner every day?

1 consideration for you -- you can get 20% off coupons for Shula's. Meaning you can get a truly good steak, plus app, plus dessert and beverage, all for about $55.
So $5 worth of snacking $35 oop TS lunch, plus big steak dinner at Shula's.. And you're still under 2013 DxDP pricing.

Thanks Cafeen and asmit4, your responses made a lot of sense.

I just don't think that way, most of the time. :rotfl2: (I did love the all inclusive of our cruise...of course it didn't include alcohol, shore excursion, souvenirs, casino, auctions :lmao:)

With the increases, I bet our next trip won't be on a dining plan (we will only have one Disney child and two under 3), and I bet our dining will change. However, we are already at a point where DDP isn't exactly right and DxDP could be too much (mostly b/c I don't know about doing signatures with twin toddlers :eek:) I will, however, not go from paying $1000 to eat to packing pb&j.

I am hoping that even this has to stop eventually. Even though they don't say the pricing...eventually the vacation packages will come up to such an ungodly amount that some will just be priced out. Some may choose just to not go to Disney or to stay offsite, but some may realize that they don't have to add the dining package and see the price difference. Maybe then Disney will realize the pricing can't go up so as the savings is so insignificant? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter