• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Plan Prices: Too Much???

baby1disney

DIS Veteran
I just looked at the 2013 dining prices for WDW and bout fell out of my seat!!:scared1: If I was to get this for just me and my DBF, it would cost us $778.26..just to eat!!! I mean, yes, we probably would get our monies worth, but at the same time..we're not snackers, I really don't eat a lot..and I don't wanna spend my time there just eating. But, for us to go down there for seven days..I'm thinking we're better off just budgeting for food.

I mean, am I just being cheap and complaining about the prices or is it really expensive? I went my first time in 2006 with my ex-husband's family and the year we got the plan..the plan only cost us six something and that's because of my son!!! For what we paid for just as adults..it was less than what one person would pay now for 10 nights there!!:rolleyes2 But..I guess that's why they offer the quick service huh?? LOL

I just wanted to know if anyone else feels the same way.

Terrie:goodvibes

I'm going to move this over to the dining plan forum. I think you'll get a huge response there. :)

Dining plan prices have risen astronomically. The reality is, for most people, they can eat very well (without any skimping) for less than the cost of the plan.
You can easily purchase the table service entree you might like, plus snacks, plus a counter service meal -- For $40-$50.. well under the cost of the plan.

If this still included the app/entree/dessert and tips, this would still be an alright deal. But honestly, who needs that much food? And you can EASILY eat out of pocket for cheaper. I suppose if you order the lobster and filet at each table service you would save, but who does that each day? We did the math and we can still eat at all of our favorite places and get what we want and save. I think the price is crazy.

I just looked at the 2013 dining prices for WDW and bout fell out of my seat!!:scared1: If I was to get this for just me and my DBF, it would cost us $778.26..just to eat!!! I mean, yes, we probably would get our monies worth, but at the same time..we're not snackers, I really don't eat a lot..and I don't wanna spend my time there just eating. But, for us to go down there for seven days..I'm thinking we're better off just budgeting for food.

I mean, am I just being cheap and complaining about the prices or is it really expensive? I went my first time in 2006 with my ex-husband's family and the year we got the plan..the plan only cost us six something and that's because of my son!!! For what we paid for just as adults..it was less than what one person would pay now for 10 nights there!!:rolleyes2 But..I guess that's why they offer the quick service huh?? LOL

The QSDP has basically priced itself out of usefulness from a value standpoint (insert typical quip here about convenience potentially having monetary value so it may be worthwhile) even for this DDP optimist. We worked it out yesterday so that you'd have to average at least ~$17.29 per QS meal just to break even (not including the mug, since that makes the math impossible to predict, and also averaging a $3 snack). With the average QS meals (including dessert) being in the $14-16 range, it's just not worthwhile at all from that perspective. For 2012, this plan was already close to the edge, but doable (if you stuck very close and paid attention), the price increase for 2013 has thrown it off a cliff though.

DDP is closer to the cliff than it was last year, but with careful planning and the desire to eat as it's already structured, you can come out ahead financially without too much hardship. It does require planning and structure though, it's certainly NOT a given and if you don't desire to dine nearly exactly as the plan is structured, you're going to be better off without.

DxDDP is a steep jump for sure, but it's still the "easiest" to see value from (again, like both of the above, if your intentions are to dine as they are structured). The per-credit cost is still low enough even after the increases that you're likely going to see value so long as you use most of your credits and entitlements (with a heavier focus on TS over QS than in the past few years and less room for unspent credits).

Dining plan prices have risen astronomically. The reality is, for most people, they can eat very well (without any skimping) for less than the cost of the plan.
You can easily purchase the table service entree you might like, plus snacks, plus a counter service meal -- For $40-$50.. well under the cost of the plan.
Especially if they like breakfast! (See, I remembered this time :p).

I've always been a proponent of the dining plan, and while dining prices have risen, they have not risen as fast as the meal plan. It was only 4 years ago it was under $40 a day, and now it's going to be above $55, almost a 40 % increase in 4 years. I think it's now to a point where it is probably a break-even prospect versus the what you get OOP. I still think it is a bit difficult to get a TS and QS meal for under $55, but with the restrictions of the DDP (no appetizers for example) the benefits are now marginal. Our other issue is our DD will be10 next trip, making her a DD - and brining the DDP cost $166.77 a day not including tips.

It would still be worth being on the Dining Plan with free dining though! I think for us, if we didn't get free dining (which we do almost every trip), we would not get the dining plan, we would pick and choose our TS meals more carefully (avoid the buffets for one), and be able

As I've said, if you think the prices are too high, speak with your wallet. Don't buy the DDP. At a point, people will stop paying the ridiculous prices.

I agree! We were planning on doing the deluxe plan, but not with those increases. We decided to do OOP, ordering what we want, which will be less apps and desserts for a family of 4 ( 2 teens) . We are going to have prepaid Disney gift cards for each day with the amount of what the plan would have cost us. Any money left over each day will be used for souvenirs or snacks for our mini trip to the ocean for a couple of days after the parks.

I still think it is a bit difficult to get a TS and QS meal for under $55

CS: Columbia Harbor House:
Fried Shrimp Basket - Served with cole slaw and steamed fresh broccoli, or French Fries $9.99
Chocolate Cake $3.59
Bottled Water $2.50

Snack -- $4

Dinner, Tony's Town Square:
Chicken Parmigiana - Lightly Breaded Chicken Breast with Marinara sauce topped with Melted Mozzarella over Spaghetti $17.99
Pistachio Creme Brulee $5.99
Soda or Iced Tea $2.99

Total: $47.05. With tax, $50.11. Well under $55.

Of course, if I really want to go cheap:
QS: Breakfast at the Poly:
Tonga Toast - banana-stuffed sourdough bread, battered, deep-fried and dusted with cinnamon and sugar $5.19
Lowfat Milk $1.49

Late lunch/early dinner at The Plaza:
Grilled Reuben - thinly sliced corned beef on grilled marble rye with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing $10.99
Coffee/Hot Tea $2.39
The Plaza Restaurant Sundae - ice cream (your choice) with hot fudge, strawberry sauce, crushed pineapple, topped with whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry $4.99

Snack, about $3

Total: $28.05. With tax, $29.87.

While that's an extreme example, it shows it is quite possible to do a QS+TS+snack for under $30, and very very easy to do it under $55. (in my first example, I didn't intentionally go cheap at all; my second example was intentionally cheap, but it wasn't ridiculous).
In fact, it's not even very easy to hit that $55 mark without character meals, or without getting the most expensive menu items.
If you don't order the steak at dinner every night, you probably won't hit the $55.

Thank you to everyone who has commented!!! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is feeling this way. I'm definitely thinking the OOP is the way to go. I'll spend my money somewhere else...

(in my first example, I didn't intentionally go cheap at all; my second example was intentionally cheap, but it wasn't ridiculous).
In fact, it's not even very easy to hit that $55 mark without character meals, or without getting the most expensive menu items.
If you don't order the steak at dinner every night, you probably won't hit the $55.

Not hard at all to hit $55 with character meals....example:
Lunch Sunshine Seasons: Rotisserie Chicken $9.69, Soda $2.59, Dessert $3.59, with tax $16.90
Dinner Chef Mickey's (with Tax): $41.53
Total: $58.43 not including snack.

Or even more, dinner @ Chefs De France $34.99 for beef filet, $2.59 soda, $7.25 dessert = $47.74 with tax
Add the above lunch: $64.64, again not including snack.

However, I think we are on the same side of the argument. Whereas it used to be easy to get value out of the dining plan, now you have to work at it. If I'm going to have to work at it anyways, I'd rather work at it to spend less than the dining plan.

Again, we pretty much always go for free dining, and will probably continue to do so.

Lunch Sunshine Seasons: Rotisserie Chicken $9.69, Soda $2.59, Dessert $3.59, with tax $16.90

Or even more, dinner @ Chefs De France $34.99 for beef filet, $2.59 soda, $7.25 dessert = $47.74 with tax

However, I think we are on the same side of the argument. Whereas it used to be easy to get value out of the dining plan, now you have to work at it. If I'm going to have to work at it anyways, I'd rather work at it to spend less than the dining plan.

Again, we pretty much always go for free dining, and will probably continue to do so.
I think we all can agree that if you order the most expensive thing at the most expensive restaurant, you will get value from the plan. Much like if you only go to the plaza and have a chicken sandwich, you're pretty much always going to lose money. Moderate examples are used to better represent the average diner (I tend to use them to show where value is as well, much like Havoc uses them to show lack of value.) This doesn't mean there isn't savings to be had, it just means that the middle is sliding over the edge of value and/or savings and it's going to be more difficult to make the plans work to save you money.

However, if you're like me, and tend to order from the upper end of the menu (I don't like things with feathers, or that live in the water, or that grow in the grownd, or that are named pork or ham...except bacon, but everyone loves bacon), then you'll get more out of it than the average person. (This is me rationalizing the fact that I pretty much always order steak, usually because it's one of one or two things I'll eat on a particular menu).

I think we all can agree that if you order the most expensive thing at the most expensive restaurant, you will get value from the plan. Much like if you only go to the plaza and have a chicken sandwich, you're pretty much always going to lose money. Moderate examples are used to better represent the average diner (I tend to use them to show where value is as well, much like Havoc uses them to show lack of value.) This doesn't mean there isn't savings to be had, it just means that the middle is sliding over the edge of value and/or savings and it's going to be more difficult to make the plans work to save you money.

This is really the point. The DDP to me was a contract with Disney: I would agree to pay to eat in your TS restaurants every day, while YOU would give me a discount for eating in said restaurants of 15-25 %.

The DDP is no longer this - it is: I agree to pay to eat in your TS restaurants every day, while YOU take my money for it up front.

As I said, as a "free Dining" discount, it still appeals to me. As a discounted dining plan - I don't think I'll ever pay for it again.

I never said you couldn't build a day over $55. Your statement was that it would still be hard to build a day under $55, while I showed it was pretty easy to come way under. You proved my point -- that you basically only can get real value with character dinners or ordering steak. Order almost anything else and you're going to find it difficult to hit $55. (there are a couple other exceptions, lunch at WPE, lobster at Narcoose's ).

If i paid oop we would skip most snacks (we always end up with credits at the end) and definately skip the gross cake dessert at lunch (we could skip at dinner too and just get a snack if the prices were too high) and then drink water instead of pop which we would be fine with and dining plan starts to look pretty badly priced. Yes we would leave things out but most of that stuff we only eat because it is on the plan anyway. As for the resort mug it is useless to us, how many more pops do we need than already orovided on the plan? Will be a good souvenir to take home

Newdeal, I agree with you. I've gotten the plan twice and I've always ended up with snack credits at the end. I think one year, we had about 10 of them left. After that, we haven't done it since then. (this was with my ex-husbands family) I just can't believe that they wanna keep jumping the prices up like this!! I need to have a talk with the uppers and tell them how it is!! LOL:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Before you know it, it's gonna be $60 a day for this plan..and I really can't see a whole lot of families/people buying into this. I know I'm not going to:crazy2:

Thanks to everyone who has shown that you can and can't go over the $55/day credit. I can see that it is very easy as well as very hard to do. I'm thinking that I'm not going to buy the DDP..LOL

following along here! We have always got the dining plan and always used all our credits, never really had to pay OOP for anything as we eat breakfast in the room, or we would use 3 CS credits at lunch and save 1 to get a large breakfast to split up in the room with our other goodies. Trying to figure out if it is worth it for us from now on??? Both kids are adults now, and they like to eat at the various restaurants. We do not drink soda though and could pass on the cake in a cup at lunch. Most times we would try to ask for an extra bottle of water or grapes or apples instead....leaning towards putting 200.00 on 7 disney gift cards one for each night, and seeing if we could still make 1 TS ADR per day and eat 1 counter service per day and come out a little better?? BUT I am wondering if by the time we pay tax on the meals at TS would it negate any savings? for our April 2013 trip the places we are interested in are:

Tusker House dinner
Biergarten dinner
Ohana dinner
Cape May breakfast
Via Napoli dinner
Liberty tree lunch

for counter service:
POR food court 2x
columbia harbor 1x
epcot ws 1x
wolfgang express 1x
backlot dhs 1x
1 other????

I am going to crunch some more numbers!!! thanks for listening :lmao:

oops forgot to add one more TS that we wanted to try:

Kouzzina! had a adr last april and could not get there due to a torrential thunderstorm....boats weren't running and we got so soaked couldn't sit in a restaurant if we wanted...so its on our list for next time :upsidedow

oops forgot to add one more TS that we wanted to try:

Kouzzina! had a adr last april and could not get there due to a torrential thunderstorm....boats weren't running and we got so soaked couldn't sit in a restaurant if we wanted...so its on our list for next time :upsidedow

I hope they gave you something for the rain or something!! That's nuts that you couldn't go back later that day..they should have accommidated(sp?) you guys better.

I just saw the deluxe dining prices!! :scared1: :faint:

We have gotten deluxe for the last 4-5 years. We're not going again til Sept '13. I had pretty much already decided we would get APs & try the Tables In Wonderand card for the first time. My DH prefers club level rooms so we get breakfast & snacks there. I have been able to justify the deluxe dining prices anyway, because we like appetizers over desserts and DH gets a steak almost every day. So we have usually still "gotten our money's worth". But @ $100 a person a day?!! No way!!! That is just crazy. Of course, the food prices will probably skyrocket too. :(

I just saw the deluxe dining prices!! :scared1: :faint:

We have gotten deluxe for the last 4-5 years. We're not going again til Sept '13. I had pretty much already decided we would get APs & try the Tables In Wonderand card for the first time. My DH prefers club level rooms so we get breakfast & snacks there. I have been able to justify the deluxe dining prices anyway, because we like appetizers over desserts and DH gets a steak almost every day. So we have usually still "gotten our money's worth". But @ $100 a person a day?!! No way!!! That is just crazy. Of course, the food prices will probably skyrocket too. :(

I know!!! These prices are ridiculous!!!!:faint::crazy2: I mean my DBF and I can eat and drink here at home for under $60..very easily!! I wanted to do a higher end restaurant this time..but I don't think that's gonna be feasible...:rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter