• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December 2015 Car Rental Rate watch

My rental is really high too 1225.00 on costco for a mini van. 12/27-1/10. Hoping it comes down some.
They probably won't :(. Alamo is currently $1154 so I would rebook.

Do you REALLY need a minivan or are you just getting one because it's comfortable? A Full Size from Enterprise is $750.

They probably won't :(. Alamo is currently $1154 so I would rebook.

Do you REALLY need a minivan or are you just getting one because it's comfortable? A Full Size from Enterprise is $750.
Yes I do because I'm nana taking her 1 & 3 year old granddaughters with my younger daughter. Then the mom isn't flying in until the first. It's more for the luggage, carseats, and strollers. For some reason I booked a red eye I flight out of SFO for 9:40 pm on the 26th so we arrive around 9:30 am Florida time on the 27th and can't get into the house until 4pm. I'm not sure what I was thinking last Feb. booking that flight. lol I will be traveling with my sister who also booked a van for her crew.

What codes did you use for Alamo?

Just checked my Alamo rate that I booked a couple of days ago and noticed it went down by a few bucks so I canceled and rebooked. It was 97.xx and when I received my confirmation it was $104.xx. Had no idea they charge $6.00 for a "frequent traveler surcharge" because I entered my SW Rapid Rewards Card number. I was pretty shocked. Needless to say I have since removed it.

Alamo, so scammy. How do they get away with charges like 'frequent renter'. Legal? Pathetic.

Yes I do because I'm nana taking her 1 & 3 year old granddaughters with my younger daughter. Then the mom isn't flying in until the first. It's more for the luggage, carseats, and strollers. For some reason I booked a red eye I flight out of SFO for 9:40 pm on the 26th so we arrive around 9:30 am Florida time on the 27th and can't get into the house until 4pm. I'm not sure what I was thinking last Feb. booking that flight. lol I will be traveling with my sister who also booked a van for her crew.

What codes did you use for Alamo?
I used your Costco codes.

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for a while and I too am having a difficult time finding good rate! our dates are Dec 19 2015 arriving 3:40pm and departing 9am Dec 29th out of MCO. We would make it work with a mid size but really require a Van as we are a total of 6 people, 2 of who arrive on the 20-25th. If we did a mid size we would just not all be able to go to the same place together. At this time the best rate I am getting on a van is 974.00 American with Alamo.... that's nearly 1300.00 Canadian.... ouch....Any help would be great :) Thank you fellow Dis members!!!

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for a while and I too am having a difficult time finding good rate! our dates are Dec 19 2015 arriving 3:40pm and departing 9am Dec 29th out of MCO. We would make it work with a mid size but really require a Van as we are a total of 6 people, 2 of who arrive on the 20-25th. If we did a mid size we would just not all be able to go to the same place together. At this time the best rate I am getting on a van is 974.00 American with Alamo.... that's nearly 1300.00 Canadian.... ouch....Any help would be great :) Thank you fellow Dis members!!!

Ugh, I know. See my post above with some codes, might help you.

Here's what you need to do: you need to split your car rental up into 2 rentals from 12/19-12/22 and then 12/22-12/29. I assume that you will have 2 drivers on the front end of the trip and that for park transportation you can make do for a day or two with a 5-seat car. Thrifty and Dollar have Full Sized cars for $200 all in for 19-22nd picking up at MCO and dropping off in Lake Buena Vista. You can then pick up a minivan at the B Resort (Enterprise) on 12/22 and drop off at MCO on 12/29 for $563. That's $763 total.

Weird shows 1235.00 on Alamo for me. I booked with enterprise for 1225.00 its the same on both websites.
Are you keeping for a few hours over your 24-hour period? You may being charged for an extra day.

Just checked my Alamo rates (again)...
The one that begins on Dec 7th exactly matches the lowest price I've seen.
The other one that beings on Dec 12th is within a couple of dollars.
If you are using Alamo and haven't checked rates today, you might want to do so. Seems like the old rule of thumb is accurate - rates dip about 2-3 weeks prior to trip.

Rates are holding steady at their "lowest" price for me, so far....

thought I had posted my Dec rental. Had a mid-size Dollar for 12/4-12/8 using AAA and Dollar Express for $126.65. Just dropped it down to $112.04 today. Time to go re-check Alamo.

Checked my December Dollar rate this morning after returning from a trip to Fort Myers. Changed to "lock, low and go" and dropped the AAA code. New rate is $94.32. Always happy to be under $100.

Just checked my Alamo rate that I booked a couple of days ago and noticed it went down by a few bucks so I canceled and rebooked. It was 97.xx and when I received my confirmation it was $104.xx. Had no idea they charge $6.00 for a "frequent traveler surcharge" because I entered my SW Rapid Rewards Card number. I was pretty shocked. Needless to say I have since removed it.

I had that happen as well. The $6 is the "fee" that Alamo uses so the points go on your Rapid Rewards account as opposed to what ever program that Alamo has. Dollar charges the same fee. The only thing I ever get for my frequent rentals with dollar is a certificate for 10% off or something like that. And it never works in combination with any other discounts so does me no good.

Checked my December Dollar rate this morning after returning from a trip to Fort Myers. Changed to "lock, low and go" and dropped the AAA code. New rate is $94.32. Always happy to be under $100.

And I just changed to Alamo using the Visa one class upgrade. Now have a "mid-size" (which if I remember correctly translates to a full size at MCO) for 12/4-12/8 for $97.55. I'm sure I could end up with a good car with the dollar Lock, Low and Go, but I'd rather spend the extra 3 dollars and now that I'm getting a bigger car.

And I just changed to Alamo using the Visa one class upgrade. Now have a "mid-size" (which if I remember correctly translates to a full size at MCO) for 12/4-12/8 for $97.55. I'm sure I could end up with a good car with the dollar Lock, Low and Go, but I'd rather spend the extra 3 dollars and now that I'm getting a bigger car.
Actually, it's standard and full size at MCO that are the same. Mid-size is mid-size (example: Corolla).

Actually, it's standard and full size at MCO that are the same. Mid-size is mid-size (example: Corolla).

Ah, I think I knew that. No worries though. Went back and re-did the reservation using my AP code and the upgrade code I found on mousesavers and now have a mid-size with free upgrade to standard for $102.01. That works!

Last edited:
Also, booking thru Costco you get a second driver included at no charge. I reserved our Alamo vehicle directly on the Alamo web site using the Costco contract code (7014627) and got the free second driver. You can also use an Alamo coupon code to get an additional discount.
Thank you! I've been going directly through the Costco Travel site and keep getting a higher quote for Alamo than Budget. Went through the Alamo site directly, used the Costco code and the VISA coupon code and got a cheaper Alamo rate. Woohoo!
Now I'm at $192+ for a full size. Pickup TPA, drop off MCO 12/18-12/22

You guys with your low early December rates are killing me :sad: .

So happy for the early December folks......Christmas week rates are much, much higher.

My $272 for an SUV with Budget is seriously looking good compared to current prices. I cant even get a car with Alamo right now for anywhere close to that.

You guys with your low early December rates are killing me :sad: .

So happy for the early December folks......Christmas week rates are much, much higher.

My $272 for an SUV with Budget is seriously looking good compared to current prices. I cant even get a car with Alamo right now for anywhere close to that.
Did u try car rental savers today? They prices on budget dropped some.

Did u try car rental savers today? They prices on budget dropped some.

You bet...I check everyday (sometimes more than once!). SUV prices are $600 and up across the board....and the $600 is at companies who are not in the terminal. We no longer need the SUV (though the extra space is alwyas appreciated for my bigger guys) but the cheapest full size that I can get right now is with Alamo at $385. While I would have much rather had Alamo or Dollar versus Budget, I will happily keep the larger vehicle with the lower price....especially when the exhange on ANY rental is going to be a killer on top of the higher rate :headache:.

Has anyone had any experience with Dollar and error messages? I booked my car through them a few months ago, and when i went to check our reservation online, i get an error message thats says "not a valid code"and won't show me my reservation details. i hope it is referring to the car and driver magazine code that i used at the time of booking. I got the confirmation email when i booked, and i never got anything afterwards saying there was a problem with my reservation. I'm really hoping its just because whatever code i used at the time is now expired and that i won't have any problems when i show up at MCO in a few weeks :drive:

Rates seemed to have bottomed out for my dates, I'm holding at $121.00 for 9 days in early December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter