• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December 2015 Car Rental Rate watch

OK, I have a couple of options for you. You didn't say what size car you needed so I assume that an intermediate will work.

(1) Thrifty has an intermediate from MCO for $339 using the Orlando MagicCard corporate code 004M001010.

Your second option is to take a taxi off MCO property to pick up a car and then return it to MCO. This works when your arrival time is within the regular working hours.

(2) Enterprise has an intermediate for $244 ($218 if you're a Costco member) pick up at Hoffner location (about an $18 cab ride, open until 6:00 pm) and drop off at MCO.

ETA: Here is the one-way rental link for Enterprise: https://www.enterprise.com/en/car-rental/one-way.html

THANK YOU. That Thrifty rate is better than 400, yes of course getting smallest car possible since rates are so high. The 400 as posted earlier was for cheapest, smallest. Crazy.

I just checked Alamo using the Visa and one car upgrade and I can get a midsize for 108.45 for our dates 12/1-5. I had a compact with Dollar booked for $102.45. We have always rented with Alamo so I decided to cancel the Dollar and go with Alamo.

Just booked an economy car 11/3-12/2 for 58 dollars all in at Alamo through the Costco website. This got me a better price than using the Costco ID on the Alamo site.

So check costcos site of you're a member

Just booked an economy car 11/3-12/2 for 58 dollars all in at Alamo through the Costco website. This got me a better price than using the Costco ID on the Alamo site.

So check costcos site of you're a member
Are those dates correct? 11/3-12/2?

Just booked thru Alamo -11/30 thru 12/3 - use AP discount 860292 and the double car upgrade au4224fdc and got a standard for 94.76.

That beat my Dollar city special by $9.00 and I got a 2 car upgrade.

Still can't better $249 through Alamo for a full size 12/7 until 12/19 (booked through Orbitz)

Still can't better $249 through Alamo for a full size 12/7 until 12/19 (booked through Orbitz)
I just checked Car Rental Savers, and you can get a full sized car through Dollar for $201.84 using the "Smart Book" on the front page.

We Christmas visitors are very jealous.

I just found a good price drop on my Alamo reservation. We are picking up in TPA 12/4 and dropping off at MCO 12/7. I used Visa contract ID 7015504 and coupon AD7394SDJ, my mid-size ended up $90.

Alamo came down again! With the same codes I used before the mid-size is now $68.45. :-) :-) :-)

Not for me sunshine - comes up higher. Will try again tomorrow.

If you will notice, starshine is picking up the vehicle in TPA [Tampa] and returning to MCO [Orlando]. That's why you are not finding that kind of a rate. Sometimes the rental car gods prefer different pick up and return locations, thus the great rate. :flower:

Just checked my Alamo rates (again)...
The one that begins on Dec 7th exactly matches the lowest price I've seen.
The other one that beings on Dec 12th is within a couple of dollars.
If you are using Alamo and haven't checked rates today, you might want to do so. Seems like the old rule of thumb is accurate - rates dip about 2-3 weeks prior to trip.

If you will notice, starshine is picking up the vehicle in TPA [Tampa] and returning to MCO [Orlando]. That's why you are not finding that kind of a rate. Sometimes the rental car gods prefer different pick up and return locations, thus the great rate. :flower:
Actually, the rental car gods usually HATE one-way rentals and for some agencies will heap on tons of fees.

ETA, you will also note that starshines dates are in the beginning of the month while kiki's dates are over Christmas. The difference in price for one week can be $200-$300! We Christmas travellers always get jealous reading about other people's early December scores ;).

Last edited:

Don't know but mine is sky high.

Don't know but mine is sky high.
Sorry, I haven't looked all through the thread... what are your dates and rate? It could be that rentals over Christmas remain high - I've never had a rental that late in December so I don't know what they have historically been.

Just checked my Alamo rate that I booked a couple of days ago and noticed it went down by a few bucks so I canceled and rebooked. It was 97.xx and when I received my confirmation it was $104.xx. Had no idea they charge $6.00 for a "frequent traveler surcharge" because I entered my SW Rapid Rewards Card number. I was pretty shocked. Needless to say I have since removed it.

And that quick I just for fun tried the coupon code for single upgrade and the Disney Passholder discount, went down to 93.xx. Man they are going to hate me :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter