D23 2015

I will try this again...but I don't think anybody has time to answer (or Supernova's topics were more interesting...)

I have a challenge for you all (a selfish challenge perhaps). I can't watch every minute on this thread, or read everything out there (although I am trying). Some things I read I don't know if it was actually announced at D23, or if it is just predictions, or what they hope for, or just some person making everybody think something that is not (I doubt much of the last). So help me out...Name the top 10 things (in your opinion) coming from D23 so far. I would bet (most) will have Star Wars Land as #1 (I would count both Star wars Lands as one thing). Toy Story Land might be #2 for many (or #1 for the kids at heart). What is your top 10 - this will help me know what actually happened.

(examples - I heard someone say once that Disney was going to or did announce or was predicting they would announce that the Disney Cruise was getting 2 new ships...another said they got a new island...I almost don't think either happened...or maybe I think one did...I just don't know)

Disneyland:
- Star Wars Land
- Star Wars Seasons of The Force
- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Hyperspace Mountain

Disneyworld:
Magic Kingdom: nothing
DHS: Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Launch Bay / Seasons of The Force / Star Wars Fireworks (ALL new)
AK: Nighttime Safari / Rivers of Light / Pandora (none of these are new)
Epcot: Frozen Norway / Soarin' Round the World (Neither new)

Missing from the announcements:
New name for hollywood studios.
No new ships / island for DCL as rumored (by the DIS),
No expansion in MK (rumored) nor at Epcot.
The Marvel Land at DCA was not mentioned, which seems to me a done deal so I'm surprised they kept that quiet.

Overall to me a bit disappointing but mostly because I think they blew their wad at the Live Action movies showcase by announcing the Star Wars lands there. Otherwise, it does look like a lot going into DHS as expected which is great. (Two new lands - though the Toy Story land only seems to have two rides.) The Toy Story/ PIXAR was always rumored to be kiddie rides - so even though some are disappointed by that, I think overall it's a good thing. For sure this doesn't mean that this is ALL that is happening at DHS, but the main things which were anticipated. As I said earlier, I am dissappointed they didn't make this COHESIVE - that its an overall reenvisioning of DHS - thought they hinted at it by saying instead of it being how movies are made, it's about being put INTO the movies.

Really though overall, its great we are officially getting SOMETHING in that park, so i'm happy.

Disneyland:
- Star Wars Land
- Star Wars Seasons of The Force
- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Hyperspace Mountain

Disneyworld:
Magic Kingdom: nothing
DHS: Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Launch Bay / Seasons of The Force / Star Wars Fireworks (ALL new)
AK: Nighttime Safari / Rivers of Light / Pandora (none of these are new)
Epcot: Frozen Norway / Soarin' Round the World (Neither new)

Missing from the announcements:
New name for hollywood studios.
No new ships / island for DCL as rumored (by the DIS),
No expansion in MK (rumored) nor at Epcot.
The Marvel Land at DCA was not mentioned, which seems to me a done deal so I'm surprised they kept that quiet.

Overall to me a bit disappointing but mostly because I think they blew their wad at the Live Action movies showcase by announcing the Star Wars lands there. Otherwise, it does look like a lot going into DHS as expected which is great. (Two new lands - though the Toy Story land only seems to have two rides.) The Toy Story/ PIXAR was always rumored to be kiddie rides - so even though some are disappointed by that, I think overall it's a good thing. For sure this doesn't mean that this is ALL that is happening at DHS, but the main things which were anticipated. As I said earlier, I am dissappointed they didn't make this COHESIVE - that its an overall reenvisioning of DHS - thought they hinted at it by saying instead of it being how movies are made, it's about being put INTO the movies.

Really though overall, its great we are officially getting SOMETHING in that park, so i'm happy.
New island I mentioned earlier this year. Two cruise ships have been rumored by spirit for a while now.

Also it was mostly known that the new Soarin film would probably come to Epcot and DCA but not official until today.

Of course all the attention is (deservedly) on Star Wars, but I was really encouraged by what they showed of Avatar.

No I don't want to see yet another debate on whether the movie is a draw or not, what I care about is the land they are building looks to be wonderfully immersive.

Rivers of Light looks to be a cool show too. Animal Kingdom has always been my favorite park so maybe I'm biased, but I liked what I saw.

So do we know what all is going to be taken away to make room for Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land? Muppets? One Man's Dream? Mama Melrose? Backlor Express? Indiana Jones? LMA?

Assuming they are going to want to strongly tie TSMM to Toy Story Land, and trying to imagine the artist's mock-up superimposed over the actual park, I'd say One Man's Dream is toast (or moving). It looks as if everything north of TSMM and south of VOLTM in that row of buildings could be on the chopping block.

The others are a little harder to say. Muppets/Mama are in prime locations and could easily be affected -- it depends on how intent they are on using the wooded area to the south, or razing the huge under-used portion of HS between Muppets and Lights, Motors, Action.

I think that both Avatar and Star Wars look promising. I can't get all that excited about Toy Story since the area is likely to be just for kids but it should be good for a walkthrough.

So that is good. But poor pathetic Epcot. And what about the Muppets?

So um yeah...let's plan a group trip to Shanghai!!!! Maybe we can get a group discount! :o

I'll be going next summer to do a presentation at a conference in Shanghai. I hope the opening date isn't pushed back because I really want to check out this new park!!

I'm sorry but I'm as disappointed as I was in 2011. A huge chunk of MGM frees up with about $3 billion rumored and all we get is some small little things (not counting Star Wars) that barely compensate for how much what was taken out! Same thing with Epcot!

Now I'm starting to think, where in relation to the new area for Toy Story Land is Pizza Planet? Will they be closing that down?

I'm sorry but I'm as disappointed as I was in 2011. A huge chunk of MGM frees up with about $3 billion rumored and all we get is some small little things (not counting Star Wars) that barely compensate for how much what was taken out! Same thing with Epcot!

I wouldn't call the announcements for DHS little, and I'm sure they're still holding a lot of things close to the vest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter