Counterfeiting Digital DVC Membership cards

Bumping this thread triggered by today's announcement of new Resale restrictions. It is reported that new resale owners, beyond 4/4/16, will NOT receive Member cards. I wonder if this will create a new round of interest in counterfeited cards ... ?

When I look at my temp ID card, it has several DVC logo watermarks running at an angle across the entire card, including behind the member names. This perhaps is all the cast members are looking for, in addition to the expiration date for validity.

If it becomes an issue, Disney will change the policy to only allow a discount if you show the actual card.

We were at preview center yesterday. I got 2 news cards for both members. However, they said these are temporary and not what the " new" cards will look like. They also said April 4 is date they will no longer accept old cards. So they expect all cards to be delivered by then. When I told them there were reports of cards already being delivered they seemed surprised. Right hand... I would to introduce you to left hand
Interesting that back in January, CMs were already quoting the April 4 date. Of course they probably did not know all that would happen, but it makes it clear that this was planned well in advance, and that people in the resale pipeline were purposely kept in the dark until too late.

Bumping this thread triggered by today's announcement of new Resale restrictions. It is reported that new resale owners, beyond 4/4/16, will NOT receive Member cards. I wonder if this will create a new round of interest in counterfeited cards ... ?

I just thought of a good way to subsidize my DVC dues! :teacher:

:duck::duck::duck:

KIDDING.. everyone relax. TOTALLY kidding. :)

In the event this is not a current item in WDW "Ban for Life" policy?

Disney - I suggest you add "counterfeiting of any Disney Document" to the list.

I was thinking the same thing.... it wasn't in my thought process before the announcement.

Interesting that back in January, CMs were already quoting the April 4 date. Of course they probably did not know all that would happen, but it makes it clear that this was planned well in advance, and that people in the resale pipeline were purposely kept in the dark until too late.

Disney typically does not "pre" announce things. Ticket price increases are an example.
DVC sales people have been speaking of changes coming for sometime, most people took it as a just sales speak.
DVC/Disney owe nothing to the resale community, no heads up needed or required.

It does seem clear that they intended for the new member cards to also be the cutoff point for resale perks, with the dating where the old cards expire, and that's partially why they were scrambling to get the new cards out in the mail. So I believe that yes they knew they were going to make this decision months ago and did not announce it. They probably did not want to cause a panic in the resale community, they wanted it to be an announce-and-done scenario.

Disney typically does not "pre" announce things. Ticket price increases are an example.
DVC sales people have been speaking of changes coming for sometime, most people took it as a just sales speak.
DVC/Disney owe nothing to the resale community, no heads up needed or required.

It does seem clear that they intended for the new member cards to also be the cutoff point for resale perks, with the dating where the old cards expire, and that's partially why they were scrambling to get the new cards out in the mail. So I believe that yes they knew they were going to make this decision months ago and did not announce it. They probably did not want to cause a panic in the resale community, they wanted it to be an announce-and-done scenario.

Agreed. I was just commenting on the fact that they knew April 4 was their target date even before the MK parties sold out. And I don't think it's a coincidence that the Beach Bash reservations open tomorrow.

So I got this exciting new card today...

First - it has no information on it...no chip, no strip, right?

My daughter could have made it out of construction paper...

But whatever...the thing that was interesting was the 5 year "expiration date"?

What the hell is the angle there? My expiration date is 2054...mess with me on stuff and they're gonna LOVE who I rent my points too ;)

So I got this exciting new card today...

First - it has no information on it...no chip, no strip, right?

My daughter could have made it out of construction paper...

But whatever...the thing that was interesting was the 5 year "expiration date"?

What the hell is the angle there? My expiration date is 2054...mess with me on stuff and they're gonna LOVE who I rent my points too ;)

They are just putting expiration dates on the cards so that if you sell your membership, you won't be able to keep using the card for discounts forever.

Well, they have to do something.

If folks didn't take advantage of perks that they are not entitled to, we wouldn't be in this predicament. I mean, it's too bad that the small number of people who cheat the system are the ones who make it more difficult for everyone else. I'm glad that Disney is doing something about it and I really don't care if the card expires in 5 years and my membership doesn't expire for 30-ish. Disney will send a new card and if they don't and I find that I need it, I'll either call and ask for one or stop at Guest Services. Easy peasy, really.

My new card is made out of the same material as a credit card. Are some different?

If folks didn't take advantage of perks that they are not entitled to, we wouldn't be in this predicament. I mean, it's too bad that the small number of people who cheat the system are the ones who make it more difficult for everyone else. I'm glad that Disney is doing something about it and I really don't care if the card expires in 5 years and my membership doesn't expire for 30-ish. Disney will send a new card and if they don't and I find that I need it, I'll either call and ask for one or stop at Guest Services. Easy peasy, really.

My new card is made out of the same material as a credit card. Are some different?

Oh come on, WMJ...
I give you enough credit to know you dont really think they "had to do something". For that rampant 0.01% of vindictive former DVC owners who go rogue and get a discount at WOD?

It's too much detail to the fringes of the margins and it looks oh so tacky.

Don't you miss "it"? And buy "it"...I mean when the product was solid enough to be good enough? And you weren't being tracked by radio frequency like a caribou and sorted by spending habits in a computer core? Or when every cent wasn't being sliced to fund giveaways to the Chinese government and the NBA?

It's just so...ughhh...heading down the wrong road.

To tell the truth, if I sold my membership (never going to happen, but let's say it happened), I would never even think about using the member card again, it wouldn't even occur to me. But I get that nowadays there seems to be more and more people who try to get around rules or game the system. I don't get that mindset, it is like a smug feeling of accomplishment or something? But anyway, I guess if it got rampant enough they felt they had to do something. Although it was probably just a side benefit of the rollout of the resale restrictions.

To tell the truth, if I sold my membership (never going to happen, but let's say it happened), I would never even think about using the member card again, it wouldn't even occur to me. But I get that nowadays there seems to be more and more people who try to get around rules or game the system. I don't get that mindset, it is like a smug feeling of accomplishment or something? But anyway, I guess if it got rampant enough they felt they had to do something. Although it was probably just a side benefit of the rollout of the resale restrictions.

Really do you think it's even enough of a percentage to give it a thought?

Honestly...it's not.

Who sells the contract and hurries back? I would imagine that the two reasons primarily to sell are:
1. Dislike/outgrown the timeshare
2. Can't afford it.

Which one of those two set up for scams?

Neither.

Well I agree, i don't think it was primarily done to catch people who shouldn't be using an old card. I think it was a variety of reasons, to differentiate direct purchases going forward, just to refresh the cards, since there are a lot of ones floating around out there that are 20 years old or more, and yes to stop the few people from using older cards when they aren't members, and possibly also to automate the card making a little more, the older ones looked like maybe some of the info was typed in by hand or something before printing, more labor intensive.

I know the Disney Parks merchandise stores are sticklers for seeing the card and a piece of ID, but we had a couple stores (third party stores in Downtown Disney that I won't name to protect them:-)) that gave us the DVC discounts without us asking just because we were wearing our DVC 25 year buttons.

Just curious, if I became a member after April 2016, is printing a digital card option not available ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter