Counterfeiting Digital DVC Membership cards

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
How is DVC going to prevent counterfeiting of the digital DVC membership cards? Could not some enterprising individual sell phony membership cards on the internet?

Is there some type of chip technology incorporated in them? Probably not.

Not so long as printing them out and carrying them is the only requirement.

Excellent question, Mike. It would take me no less than 2 minutes to fix this in Photoshop and you could probably do it in 30 seconds.

My guess as an honest answer is that they don't care. Parks and Resorts is ultimately going to care and not accept them anymore once they realize the error. Further, my bet would be that they won't be available any longer once the new cards have all been mailed anyway. Maybe they're resigned to just take the potential hit for the 60-90 days during a relatively slow season anyway and maybe P&R already knows.

Not so long as printing them out and carrying them is the only requirement.

Excellent question, Mike. It would take me no less than 2 minutes to fix this in Photoshop and you could probably do it in 30 seconds.

My guess as an honest answer is that they don't care. Parks and Resorts is ultimately going to care and not accept them anymore once they realize the error. Further, my bet would be that they won't be available any longer once the new cards have all been mailed anyway. Maybe they're resigned to just take the potential hit for the 60-90 days during a relatively slow season anyway and maybe P&R already knows.

The image in post #1 was one I mocked up in a minute. I made up the name, member since, and member number.

This just seems such an obvious issue to me, but maybe DVC doesn't care. After all, if I bought DVC in 2000 and sold it the next year, I'd still have been getting the DVC discounts with my 2000 DVC card, since they didn't expire.

If it is done often enough to cause them a significant problem, it wouldn't be all that hard or take all that long to have the CM type the member number into their cash register system and do a member look up. I'm quite sure the Guest Services CMs do that before selling or activating a DVC Member annual pass.

I imaging they'll start requiring the number to be entered and validated in order to receive perks and discounts. Do they just require a visual inspection of the card now?

From the new section of DVC, it reads that everyone will receive new cards, but the digital cards can be printed if you need it now and it will be valid for 3 months (until your new car arrives?). Likely, any danger of counterfeits is offset by eliminating people with old cards that no longer own DVC. It is a risk for three months, if after that they begin requiring the actual new card to be presented.

Digital Membership Card
Need your Membership Card now? Access a digital version that will be valid for 3 months. Then, just show a printed copy or screenshot to enjoy your Member offerings. Read More About Digital Membership Card
Need your Membership Card now? Access a digital version that will be valid for 3 months. Then, just show a printed copy or screenshot to enjoy your Member offerings.

Stores, gates and restaurants are also allowed to and encouraged to check official photo id when using Membership Card, I know some do and some don't.

From the new section of DVC, it reads that everyone will receive new cards, but the digital cards can be printed if you need it now and it will be valid for 3 months (until your new car arrives?). Likely, any danger of counterfeits is offset by eliminating people with old cards that no longer own DVC. It is a risk for three months, if after that they begin requiring the actual new card to be presented.

Digital Membership Card
Need your Membership Card now? Access a digital version that will be valid for 3 months. Then, just show a printed copy or screenshot to enjoy your Member offerings. Read More About Digital Membership Card
Need your Membership Card now? Access a digital version that will be valid for 3 months. Then, just show a printed copy or screenshot to enjoy your Member offerings.

You're saying the digital membership cards will only be available for the next 3 months? I don't think so.

They say "For added convenience, now you can use a digital version of your Membership Card."

That sounds like a longer term offering.

Yesterday, I got a digital card that expired on April 6. Today, I can get one that expires on April 7. That sure seems like a rolling 3-month period, and not just a temporary offering until you get your physical card (which we'll get this month, so why have a temporary digital card for 3 months?).

Stores, gates and restaurants are also allowed to and encouraged to check official photo id when using Membership Card, I know some do and some don't.

If all they do is check ID, someone could start selling phony cards. Just send them $10 and your name, and they email you your phony card. Use that and your ID, and you can get a 10% dining discount and more. No, you won't get the AP discount, but you would get most discounts.

DVC should not be issuing these digital cards, as they are ripe for abuse.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a secret code hidden in the "sparkly" background that can be verified with a scanner? Failing that, counterfeiting was my first thought also when I posted about the digital cards a few days back.

Couldn't be that they didn't think about that, could it? :rolleyes1 This perk might end fairly quickly.

Ya know, therein may lie the true answer as much as nobody will ever want to admit it. Thanks DVC Mike. You screwed it up for everybody! :D (Obviously not really because we are all legitimate members with cards anyway.)

Counterfeiting for what major purpose?

Selling them to non-members so they can take advantage of the discounts.

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

Selling them to non-members so they can take advantage of the discounts.
Maybe its just me but I don't see this as an issue high on the worry list for Disney. Can someone cheat/steal a discount yes. With AP's, Disney Chase, and other discounts, I just don't see it being an issue.

For someone who is such a Disney Fan that they will spend enough to make a discount valuable (and pay someone to counterfeit) they probably have access to other discounts available (and as a DVC member) I don't see the discounts as being soooo attractive that I am going to do something that is illegal. I do understand that there are people that would.

By the way a quick search on punishment for counterfeiting (Counterfeiting is a criminal offense when it involves an intent to defraud in passing off the counterfeit item). Under federal law, counterfeiting is a class C felony, punishable by up to 12 years in prison and/or a fine of as much as $250,000. State laws also establish penalties for counterfeiting.

Maybe its just me but I don't see this as an issue high on the worry list for Disney. Can someone cheat/steal a discount yes. With AP's, Disney Chase, and other discounts, I just don't see it being an issue.

I think that the fact that they are now going to put expiration dates on the cards indicates that they are trying to control people who do not qualify from receiving the discount. As it stand now any one who has ever owned DVC could still get the discount. An expiration date has only one purpose - of limiting to current owners.

This is the first I've heard of the digital cards, and I'm a member. I don't think it is going to be a huge deal.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a secret code hidden in the "sparkly" background that can be verified with a scanner? Failing that, counterfeiting was my first thought also when I posted about the digital cards a few days back.

My printer is awful and I can tell you that there would be nothing sparky and readable in my printout. It might not even come out blue lol.

Couldn't be that they didn't think about that, could it? :rolleyes1 This perk might end fairly quickly.

I think you're right. Disney doesnt have a huge history of really thinking some things through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter