Counterfeiting Digital DVC Membership cards

I think that the fact that they are now going to put expiration dates on the cards indicates that they are trying to control people who do not qualify from receiving the discount. As it stand now any one who has ever owned DVC could still get the discount. An expiration date has only one purpose - of limiting to current owners.

Very true. Adding an expiration date is an easy way to limit old cards from being used. That's a long way from someone counterfeiting a card to get a discount.

I'm reading it differently. To me, it seems that they are mailing out new cards and te digital card is just a trmporary thing to cover the three months it will take for everyone to receive the new ones. Why the old ones weren't good enough until the new ones go out is beyond me though.

Looks like the temporary card, at least, now has an expiration date. I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but maybe that's what they're up to given a point Mike made earlier in the thread. The permanent cards will likely have a re-issue date also would be my bet.

The temps are only good for 90 days at a time and even if they continue after the permanent cards are mailed out. "You," as a member, will disappear if you ever sell and won't be able to print one out beyond your last ownership day.

You can't fight the Photoshop thing. That ship sailed a long time ago, and the people willing to do that will always beat the system. With the obvious markups at Disney, those few at 10% damage are not going to matter in the grand scheme of things. Add a barcode or something? Never happen. Ain't worth the trouble and time investments at the point of purchase. Just MHO.

I was able to print off a card for the membership where I'm an associate. I don't think that was supposed to be possible.

And no, you should not get a card as an associate. An IT technicality.

Certainly true, Kat4Disney.

Supersnoop, was your name on the card you printed off?? If an associate has all the log-in info on a membership, I don't recall seeing any possible way to confirm that it is indeed the actual member signing in so it is certainly feasible that anyone having the log-in information for a membership could print off a card, but I will be interested to see if Supersnoop's printout of an ID card had their name on it??

Personally I don't figure most of us would have even thought about it before you brought it up. I don't figure it is high on the list of scams. They are only good for 3 months.

The only people that know this is available is DVC members with access to the Member website.
I just don't see anyone thinking that the selling of them for 3 months is worth the penalty if they get caught.

Who is their target audience? I think you are reaching with this one.

Last edited:
Certainly true, Kat4Disney.

Supersnoop, was your name on the card you printed off?? If an associate has all the log-in info on a membership, I don't recall seeing any possible way to confirm that it is indeed the actual member signing in so it is certainly feasible that anyone having the log-in information for a membership could print off a card, but I will be interested to see if Supersnoop's printout of an ID card had their name on it??
Yes, it has my name on it. I posted a few days ago about the "Add New Membership Number" link. My wife and I each have our own separate memberships and I'm an associate on her membership. I was able to add her's using that link, and now I can print a card with my name for both.

When I looked on the DVC website I only saw my name on the card and not my wife's, we are both on the contract. Also, the card said I was a member since 1991 (not true and not that it matters), we just became members in 2015

Thanks for that info, Supersnoop. Looks like the powers that be didn't thoroughly check out all facets before launching this new option, huh?

Personally I don't figure most of us would have even thought about it before you brought it up. I don't figure it is high on the list of scams. They are only good for 3 months.

The only people that know this is available is DVC members with access to the Member website.
I just don't see anyone thinking that the selling of them for 3 months is worth the penalty if they get caught.

Who is their target audience? I think you are reaching with this one.
I don't see the intention of counterfeiting the cards as a side-business opportunity -- but I do see it as something a current member might do to extend discounts to friends/family/RENTERS ... or perhaps to extend their own discount a year to two after selling their membership.

When I looked on the DVC website I only saw my name on the card and not my wife's, we are both on the contract. Also, the card said I was a member since 1991 (not true and not that it matters), we just became members in 2015

Was that just in your sign-on? I believe your wife would have to sign on under her account to view her card. It sounds like the original owner of your contract purchased in 1991. But the dates on my cards are completely off - they used to have the dates of the original contracts but now they have a year that is not that nor is it the dates we purchased. And it's changed once that I've seen to a different incorrect date and then back again to the first incorrect date. So all that their doing with the dates is not necessarily correct.

Do we actually need the temporary card or can we continue to use our old one for discounts for now?

Do you own OKW?
My (legitimate) card says 2009, even though I "joined" in 2014. That membership was initiated with a BLT purchase, which opened in 2009. So, that's my theory.

I bet you're on to something there. I bet the resale contracts are reflecting the original contract purchase date by the original owner(s).

We were at preview center yesterday. I got 2 news cards for both members. However, they said these are temporary and not what the " new" cards will look like. They also said April 4 is date they will no longer accept old cards. So they expect all cards to be delivered by then. When I told them there were reports of cards already being delivered they seemed surprised. Right hand... I would to introduce you to left hand

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter