Code watch January 2017

So.....has anyone without a Disney Visa card actually gotten the discount? I fibbed on the MDE chat that I was a Visa holder, she told me my resort/room was eligible but of course have to call in. I don't normally fib....but I think someone mentioned here that fibbing to get a cheaper rate at Disney isn't really lying....:)

I'm reading more and more...is this strictly for people that have room and dining? We don't do dining....hoping for a room discount. We do have Magic My Way tickets but no dining.
You have to pay your deposit with a Disney visa card to get the discount so it wouldn't do you any good. it won't go through.

You have to pay your deposit with a Disney visa card to get the discount so it wouldn't do you any good. it won't go through.

Ahhh...ok. I already have a reservation though....with a chase Visa but not a Disney Chase Visa. Just for grins, I'm on hold, to see what happens. Worst case, I just call back on Monday. Thank you!

I got through..it didn't take as long as I thought. The Disney Visa card has to be the payment of choice, at least for the deposit anyway. I asked if this discount was going to be opened up to the public in the future, she didn't know. I'm hoping it does open up next week, as has been stated on here, as she did tell me that our room would be entitled to a 20% discount!

What are the chances they have more rooms available at Pop once they release it to the public? Do they hold back rooms for the specials and once they release the public deals? I wasn't able to get Pop this morning and had to move to ASMusic. Would love to get back to Pop!

Not sure about Pop specifically, but when my first choice resort isn't available with a discount, I book my second choice resort with a discount and continue to check online for my first choice. I can think of one occasion when my first choice never became available w/ discount. That was BWI CL for 2015 Marathon Weekend.

Otherwise, I've been successful by just periodically checking back (OK, maybe "periodically" is an understatement.) Availability seems to change frequently for deluxe resorts, especially as I get closer to my travel dates. It was also easier with the AP discount because I could make changes right up to the week before the trip.

P.S. I know you would prefer to get back to Pop, but we've really enjoyed All Star Music and prefer it over the newer values like Pop and AOA. So keep checking back, but All Star Music is great too!

I think I'm done for today! All Star Movies on NYE, 3 nights Sports with Visa Room Only and 5 nights BWI CL with Visa Room Only. Decided that paying $93/night for a while helps take the sting out of Marathon Weekend CL rates. :)

@JJsmama, are you still holding steady with YC? :)

Can anyone confirm that on Monday, us poor non Disney Visa card holders can call to get a discount? If so, what would it be called? TIA!

Wh

What are your dates? I saw on another thread where someone got CR, standard view I think, for January 7-14 at $2070 room only. Not sure if that's a good deal or not???
My rez was $2187 for Jan 22-27 so it's decent but now that I see CR is only 10% off maybe I'll try one of the ones for 25% and see if those are cheaper.

Really? So when I call Monday, I should ask for the visa discount and they won't expect me to provide a Disney visa number? That would be great! Thanks so much for the info!

A word of warning (based on what happened to me just now and another time in the past). If you already have a reservation that you booked on-line - there is an option to "change reservation." This allows you to look for other discounts that may come available, change resorts, dates, room type, etc. IF you call and have them apply a promo, like the Visa promo, you will no long have that option of changing your reservation. The button to do it just goes away! From then on, you will have to call to make or even look for other resort options.

For me, to save $27.33 at POP with the Visa discount and no longer have control of the reservation, is not worth it. It took a long time on the phone to have them remove the Visa discount, once I looked at the on-line reservation and realized what happened to the ressie.

Now it is back to the way it was, at rack rate. But, at least now I can change resorts or dates if we decide to. And, I can even look for other "vacation offers" like when the AP discount or FL resident discount may become available. All this I can do myself on-line, without calling and going thru the whole phone thing and relying on a CM on the phone.

Only my experience. Just wanted to pass it along.

Just got off the phone again and got a MUCH more helpful person than this morning. Booked the Polynesian studio villa, the room only discount was cheaper than PSD since it's just me and the hubs. Did have to put the deposit on my disney visa. Good luck out there!

@JJsmama, are you still holding steady with YC? :)
NO. I am having regrets about not taking the SPD. I realized that if I move it to POR, we can get the whole trip (4d/ 5n) for $3500 including meals, which is the same I am paying for YC without any meals. I hate passing up that better offer, even though I am not sure about POR. It seems a bit ridiculous to spend $1000 more just to avoid taking the bus sometimes... Since it is January, SAB is not a factor. I had hoped the YC room only would be better than 20%, which is what I got.

NO. I am having regrets about not taking the SPD. I realized that if I move it to POR, we can get the whole trip (4d/ 5n) for $3500 including meals, which is the same I am paying for YC without any meals. I hate passing up that better offer, even though I am not sure about POR. It seems a bit ridiculous to spend $1000 more just to avoid taking the bus sometimes... Since it is January, SAB is not a factor. I had hoped the YC room only would be better than 20%, which is what I got.
Budget a certain amount for a taxi if you don't want to take a bus. That's what we did when we were at POR and only ended up needing to do that once. Busses were just fine. In 4 days you'd only spend a fraction of that $1000 even if you cabbed or took Uber to parks every day.

Budget a certain amount for a taxi if you don't want to take a bus. That's what we did when we were at POR and only ended up needing to do that once. Busses were just fine. In 4 days you'd only spend a fraction of that $1000 even if you cabbed or took Uber to parks every day.
True... Actually I don't mind being ON the busses, but i stress because we have early breakfast or EMH every morning. Guess we will just be out there extra early ;)

Managed to finally get through on my lunch break. Got a lovely CM that was willing to price 3 different options (two for me and one for a friend) with my just letting her know I had a visa card but not on me, and that I would call back to book. My IDEAL plan was to get a package, 3 nights at Coronado, dining plan, and 3 day park hoppers. The pricing was originally $1,752 and my CM did the same thing with the discount and brought it down to $1,272!! On top of that, I had enough points to get my flight free! This morning, my trip was a maybe, now it's a definite!!

Also, she gave me her extension so I can just call her on Monday to actually book and she will have all my information set!

That's tough - especially with three boys when two are teens, and particularly if the dining plan works for your family. I get that. I ended up saving as much as possible for the first four nights to justify the cost of the last five. Fortunately, our youngest is completely thrilled with the idea of Movies for one night and Sports for three before the move to BWI CL.

Would you consider a split stay?

A word of warning (based on what happened to me just now and another time in the past). If you already have a reservation that you booked on-line - there is an option to "change reservation." This allows you to look for other discounts that may come available, change resorts, dates, room type, etc. IF you call and have them apply a promo, like the Visa promo, you will no long have that option of changing your reservation. The button to do it just goes away! From then on, you will have to call to make or even look for other resort options.

For me, to save $27.33 at POP with the Visa discount and no longer have control of the reservation, is not worth it. It took a long time on the phone to have them remove the Visa discount, once I looked at the on-line reservation and realized what happened to the ressie.

Now it is back to the way it was, at rack rate. But, at least now I can change resorts or dates if we decide to. And, I can even look for other "vacation offers" like when the AP discount or FL resident discount may become available. All this I can do myself on-line, without calling and going thru the whole phone thing and relying on a CM on the phone.

Only my experience. Just wanted to pass it along.

Thanks for pointing this out....I wish I would have realized this earlier. I hate not being able to change the reservation myself!...:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter