• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Code watch January 2017

Budget a certain amount for a taxi if you don't want to take a bus. That's what we did when we were at POR and only ended up needing to do that once. Busses were just fine. In 4 days you'd only spend a fraction of that $1000 even if you cabbed or took Uber to parks every day.

Honestly, the buses are fine. Do I have to wait sometimes? Yes. However, I've stayed there many times and haven't had any major issues really.

Honestly, the buses are fine. Do I have to wait sometimes? Yes. However, I've stayed there many times and haven't had any major issues really.

Neither did we. But after reading everyone's horror stories I contemplated getting when we were at POR. Then I thought, well if we need to we could take a cab. We just did once, coming back from dinner at Yacht Club. Busses were fine. But if people were worried about making an early adr or something they could just take a cab, which would be lots less than $1000. For me I'd wait 1/2 an hr for a bus for $1000, lol kwim?

Neither did we. But after reading everyone's horror stories I contemplated getting when we were at POR. Then I thought, well if we need to we could take a cab. We just did once, coming back from dinner at Yacht Club. Busses were fine. But if people were worried about making an early adr or something they could just take a cab, which would be lots less than $1000. For me I'd wait 1/2 an hr for a bus for $1000, lol kwim?

Absolutely! I actually did take a cab once. I went to dinner with friends and the Poly, and we had all taken buses and the monorail to get there. The monorail was a nightmare that day, and we all got stuck and had to walk. We decided we didn't want to hassle with the monorail again that late!

I posted this in the Feb code watch too...but I'll post here since I'm spanning two months and have been chatting with many of you here too!

I've spent the last 4 hours crunching numbers on my own situation...I'm so torn right now. I know we could save $274 if we went with the travel agent offer instead of SPD based on the dining we'd actually book if paying out of pocket...

HOWEVER for that $274 we would get to eat at CRT, Tusker House, Garden Grill, BOG Breakfast & Cape May IN ADDITION to the 3 table service we would have eaten if not on the SPD deal AND we'd get 56 snacks instead of the 24 I'd budgeted... The $274 is all in including the additional cost of tips and the savings I'll get by paying the trip with Disney Gift Cards. I gotta say 5 meals and 32 snacks...is WELL worth $274. I'm just not sure how I pass that up even though I am the CHEAPEST MAN ON EARTH...wow, I'm confused right now!

Last edited:

I posted this in the Feb code watch too...but I'll post here since I'm spanning two months and have been chatting with many of you here too!

I've spent the last 4 hours crunching numbers on my own situation...I'm so torn right now. I know we could save $274 if we went with the agency exclusive offer instead of SPD based on the dining we'd actually book if paying out of pocket...

HOWEVER for that $274 we would get to eat at CRT, Tusker House, Garden Grill, BOG Breakfast & Cape May IN ADDITION to the 3 table service we would have eaten if not on the SPD deal AND we'd get 56 snacks instead of the 24 I'd budgeted... The $274 is all in including the additional cost of tips and the savings I'll get by paying the trip with Disney Gift Cards. I gotta say 5 meals and 32 snacks...is WELL worth $274. I'm just not sure how I pass that up even though I am the CHEAPEST MAN ON EARTH...wow, I'm confused right now!
I would keep all those meals for $274

I would keep all those meals for $274
I think you're right...I just think that I had decided in my head that the SPD deal would come in even or a little better than the TA offer...now that it didn't I'm torn...but I just need to get over it! I'm traveling for work this week so I spent about an hour just going back and forth on this with my wife on the phone...she eventually was like, figure it out but I'm going to bed. I can't listen to you argue with yourself anymore, LOL!! :rotfl2:

Here's my update: I didn't love what I was going to pay at YC and I don't love POR. I Do enjoy POFQ but that wasn't discounted at all. I also was very nervous of the package rules since my kids won't know about this trip until a couple weeks prior. SO, I played with the availability and found I could do RO at CSR, which I have always wanted to try, for a good rate. Giving up the food discount for the change / cancel flexibility, but still a much better price than YC trip, especially since we won't be swimming. I feel excited about CSR so now I think I will stop thinking about it. I have all my ADRs too! yea!

Here's my update: I didn't love what I was going to pay at YC and I don't love POR. I Do enjoy POFQ but that wasn't discounted at all. I also was very nervous of the package rules since my kids won't know about this trip until a couple weeks prior. SO, I played with the availability and found I could do RO at CSR, which I have always wanted to try, for a good rate. Giving up the food discount for the change / cancel flexibility, but still a much better price than YC trip, especially since we won't be swimming. I feel excited about CSR so now I think I will stop thinking about it. I have all my ADRs too! yea!

So happy for you to have settled on something! I know how this goes - I changed our reservation many times yesterday and it's so exciting to finally settle on a plan! For me, it really helped to see our youngest so excited about value resorts for the first half of the trip (before his brothers arrive and we move over to BWI.) That really sealed it. :)

So happy for you to have settled on something! I know how this goes - I changed our reservation many times yesterday and it's so exciting to finally settle on a plan! For me, it really helped to see our youngest so excited about value resorts for the first half of the trip (before his brothers arrive and we move over to BWI.) That really sealed it. :)

What is RO at CSR?

Love it! The worst part is keeping the secret from mine. can't wait to tell them!

We are planning a trip for January 2017 (around my birthday) but as I am Canadian and don't have a Disney Visa card, will have to wait until the general offer becomes available.

How much does the STD discount give? I have gotten it in the past but just curious.

We are planning a trip for January 2017 (around my birthday) but as I am Canadian and don't have a Disney Visa card, will have to wait until the general offer becomes available.

How much does the STD discount give? I have gotten it in the past but just curious.

There are several calculation threads out there. Seems that the SPD mostly saves 45% off the cost of dining plan but no room or ticket discount. The RO discount is anywhere from 10% at a lot of places to 25% at some deluxe but usually not on the lowest categories.

Since I'm the most impatient person on the face of the Earth and couldn't wait until Monday, I booked an agency exclusive deal at BC for January 7 - 14. Now that I've seen what the RO discounts are, I am SO happy I went with the agency! Much better deal since I'm an AP holder and don't need tickets.

So, my American Disney Visa holding friends, I have a question.
Is it seeming that the RO discounts are for preferred rooms only?
I see in the link posted above that the discount is for Sunday-Thursday nights only.

We're currently booked in 3 rooms at ASMo for 7 nights Jan 24-31st, standard level. 10% off of 5 nights out of 7, on a preferred room may not give us much of a discount from what we have.

Check this out:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2017-calculation-thread.3550783/page-2#post-56542853

This year it's looking like 40% off QS dining @ Values and 45% off dining at moderates.

So, my American Disney Visa holding friends, I have a question.
Is it seeming that the RO discounts are for preferred rooms only?
I see in the link posted above that the discount is for Sunday-Thursday nights only.

We're currently booked in 3 rooms at ASMo for 7 nights Jan 24-31st, standard level. 10% off of 5 nights out of 7, on a preferred room may not give us much of a discount from what we have.
Not sure what you're planning on doing about tickets and/or dining BUT if you're thinking about adding the CDN discounted tickets i worked out a price for our kids (exact same dates BTW) and the SPD discount was a better deal ... AND Movies isn't included in the deal but POP is and if we'll be able to move them there it will be about $166 LESS .. lateral move to Music was less but they would rather be out of the AllStars due to the ProBall game (or whatever it's called)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter