• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*Bye Bye black out dates & HELLO summer of Disney! EPCOT CARB-A-THON! [12/8/13]

Soooooooo Cute!

Glad to see y'all are getting to take a little bit of "distraction" to help take your mind off the tough situations existing.

Thank you! We had a great time and coming back to reality is rough.

updated 9/5/13

LUNCH at TUSKER HOUSE!

IMG_8311_zpsc6782d1a.jpg

Emme & i had plans on meeting rachel & corey at animal kingdom on this day. animal kingdom is my least favorite park at disney but we wanted to see rachel so off we went.

IMG_8318_zpsa8aca007.jpg

on the tram.

we decided to go towards discovery island first to ride some rides before our breakfast at tusker house. on our way, we ran into a friend:

IMG_8319_zpse0762155.jpg

IMG_8320_zpsd2b25bbd.jpg

DVINE!

she must really really love her job & get paid very well. it was blazing hot on this day and she didn't have a bead of sweat on her perfectly painted face. i always love seeing dvine but she had to have been hot...real hot.

IMG_8328_zps8ecd5253.jpg

of course, emme is not looking at the camera.

emme has never ridden dinosaur & she said that she would be brave. there was less than a 10 minute wait and i was excited. i was curious as to how she would react. she started to get a little nervous as we were waiting for our car. for the most part, she seemed to enjoy the ride. she didn't say she wanted to ride it again but next time we're at animal kingdom, i'm going to ask her to see if she wants to ride.

IMG_8332_zps9b4fe686.jpg

after riding 2 more rides, emme played at the excavation site. they had fans running so that was a relief in the heat.

IMG_8342_zps96b3d7b9.jpg

finally, it was time to meet up with rachel & corey at tusker house.

IMG_8344_zps36a8fca2.jpg

group picture.

tusker house is always busy and loud. we were seated in the main dining room along the walk way. i was so hungry but fixed emme a plate of her disney staples.

IMG_8345_zps206ba0c4.jpg

IMG_8346_zpsfbb9ce70.jpg

the only thing missing from her plate is yogurt. there's no yogurt during lunch. if there was, this would have been a perfect disney meal for her.

the buffet has a huge variety of yummy items. there's something for everyone.

but before i could get a plate of food, we already had some friends wanting to meet emme!

IMG_8350_zps1bf60fbd.jpg

daisy is so cute.

IMG_8354_zps92b41599.jpg

oh hi mickey!

IMG_8356_zpsf303ae01.jpg

after this first character pass, i made a mad dash to the buffet as i was so hungry!

IMG_8358_zps5d7ef6b1.jpg

both cuts of meat were pretty dry. however, the samosa with the mango chutney was so delicious. i am a sucker for tabbouleh and tusker house has really good tabbouleh. the curried chicken dish was also quite tasty. lunch was off to a great start!

then our friend goofy made a stop to say hello.

IMG_8365_zps822633d5.jpg

here is my second plate of food:

IMG_8366_zps2d1eef4f.jpg

the tofu at tusker house is amaaaaazing! i am a tofu freak and i was so excited to see tofu on the buffet. it was so flavorful and prepared well. the only thing i wish i had was so sriracha. my meal would have been perfect.

emme wanted a donut. let me clarify: she wanted the sprinkles on the donut.

IMG_8369_zps862f2621.jpg

my last plate of food:

IMG_8370_zps1a7670cb.jpg

overall, we had an awesome lunch at tusker house. like i said, there's something for everyone and i love the variety. the food was fresh and we had great service. it is pretty loud inside and the characters stopped by our table three times. i really enjoyed our lunch and our time with rachel and corey.

after we said goodbye, we headed over to DHS:

IMG_8397_zpsea32944c.jpg

emme didn't want her picture taken. she was starting to get sick and was getting irritable.

i made a pit stop here:

IMG_8377_zps5d6ca823.jpg

and i got me an ice cold stella:

IMG_8379_zps2623a940.jpg

IMG_8382_zps6967cf76.jpg

mmmmm stella.

emme was coughing before we left for the trip and i was starting to get worried as i left her nebulizer at home. i could hear her wheezing slightly and her cough started to get worse at DHS. i decided to call it a day and head back to the condo despite it being pretty early.

when we got back to the hotel, she threw up 5 times and proceeded to have a high fever. she threw up her medicine so i didn't dose her up again. all i could do was cool her off with a cool cloth and keep an eye on her. she was miserable and i felt terrible for her.

IMG_8401_zpsfc4c7ce9.jpg

she stayed in this position for most of the night minus getting up about 10 times to cry. i was torn on driving home but decided to just stay and pray it was a quick virus. it was a loooong night for emme but an even longer night for me. :sad:

Awww poor baby Emme! I am glad to see you reviewing again!

Just read the Paradiso review too. Man that marg was straight tequila. No way I could drink that!

so glad to see you back! still thinking of you & your family. :hug: your pics are great & emme is adorable as usual. that's awful that she got sick during your trip!! poor thing.

i liked your tusker house review... we are eating there for the first time (lunch) later this month & can't wait!! it looks sooo yummy.

oh and i love that you & rachel09985 are friends because you're 2 of my favorite reviewers on the DIS! :)

Coming in very late but love your reviews. Emme just keeps getting cuter!

P&PD for your Dad to kick cancer's butt! Hope you brother is able to deal with his PTSD.

Jill in CO

Hi Patty. Wow I've missed a lot here. First, so sorry about your dad. I send well wishes for a complete recovery. That's great that your brother has returned from Afghanistan. Coincidently, I just found out that my youngest son is on his way home from Afghanistan now. I'm super excited. :) So I can imagine the excitement for your family to finally see your brother.

Happy belated birthday for your recent trip. If I had still been there and able to meet up I would definitely have bought you a cocktail!

Sorry Emme got ill. I hope it was a passing bug that she shook off quickly.

wow!! it's been awhile since i posted anything here.

thanks again everyone for the encouraging words and prayers. my dad is doing fantastic!! he finished gamma radiation, had 2 rounds of chemo but now he will be on a cancer drug called tarceva to tackle the lesion in his lung. the doctors are optimistic about his prognosis and we have our fingers crossed that this drug will work as it specifically targets his type of cancerous cells. it's more effective (with less drastic side effects) than chemo if it works. fingers crossed!

brenda, i'm so happy your son is homeward bound. my brother experienced some horrific things in afghanistan as he was the senior medic & he's having a hard time adjusting to civilian life. i pray your son adjusts more easily.

will be updating soon! :hippie:

updated 10/13/13

emme had a miraculous recovery the next day. she was an utter hot mess the night before. her fever was pretty high & she was coughing pretty bad. i didn't sleep much but when she awoke, she was bright as a daisy. she said, "mommy, i'm ready to go to magic kindgom". kids are so resilient. she might have felt like a million bucks but i was so drained from being a bit worried about her. but anyways, off to MK we go!

IMG_8413_zpsa5fff675.jpg

on the tram!

before we met rachel & corey at big thunder mountain, we made a quick stop to see the princesses. it was a 10 minute wait so i decided to knock it off our TO DO list.

IMG_8428_zps2816b76d.jpg

i couldn't stop staring at rapunzel's wig. it looked so "off". i wanted to poke it!

i needed caffeine and there's only one drink i order at starbucks.

IMG_8455_zps969388e1.jpg

IMG_8444_zpsbc25c3cd.jpg

IMG_8445_zpscd4f4e69.jpg

IMG_8446_zps330f5c65.jpg

so emme got a blueberry muffin.

IMG_8451_zps1b685332.jpg

IMG_8453_zps44600e33.jpg

muffin was tasty.

and my choice?

IMG_8457_zpscf844f15.jpg

Iced americana with toffeenut flavoring

MMMMMM! lots of espresso = lots of caffeine!

we met up with corey & rachel and after some time together, it was time for lunch at BE OUR GUEST.

IMG_8517_zpsa736c11e.jpg

IMG_8464_zpsab0dbe21.jpg

IMG_8465_zpsb8cbd1f6.jpg

it rained as we were waiting in line. this made me nervous as emme was still coughing and i didn't want her to get soaked. so she stood underneath a CM's umbrella until it stopped raining. CM"s brought out umbrellas for us AFTER the rain stopped. go figure.

IMG_8466_zps52a75de6.jpg

notice all those menus. there are SO many menus before you order your food. yet, i have no idea WHY it takes so long to order your food. some people just stand there and have no idea what to order when they literally passed 10 menus before making it to the order counter. it drives me NUTS.

IMG_8467_zpsb7267ccc.jpg

IMG_8468_zps493b0293.jpg

kids menu

we were given our tracking rose:
IMG_8469_zps3498ba40.jpg

and i actually got to order myself with no help. i felt like a big girl.

IMG_8470_zpsb8f4402a.jpg

emme & shared a meal. she's kind of picky & if i'm lucky she will eat the turkey from this sandwich. we primarily eat korean food at home so when it comes to any other type of food that doesn't involve rice, she's not apt to eat it.

IMG_8472_zps5031ce9a.jpg

IMG_8475_zps37fd93f0.jpg

IMG_8476_zps2c389836.jpg

the turkey sandwich was the same as my last few visits. the turkey was moist but this time i had more greens than my last visit. i love the crunch of the greens and the red onions with the bread. i kind of wish they toasted the inside of the bread. it would be much better texturally.

and for dessert:

IMG_8474_zps3e240330.jpg

we didn't eat this so got this "to go". there were no more to go containers so i used a cup to place the cupcake inside.

IMG_8471_zpsa5cdd3f1.jpg

receipt.

IMG_8479_zps262288ab.jpg

IMG_8478_zps529a3f7a.jpg

i always feel the same after i leave BOG. it's always a mediocre but expensive lunch. you are definitely there for the ambiance and for eating in the beautiful castle. i prefer lunch over dinner. i've had dinner there twice and both times it was seriously underwhelming!

IMG_8518_zps88993c09.jpg

up next, final moments & thoughts from this trip.

and for dessert:

IMG_8474_zps3e240330.jpg

i always feel the same after i leave BOG. it's always a mediocre but expensive lunch. you are definitely there for the ambiance and for eating in the beautiful castle. i prefer lunch over dinner. i've had dinner there twice and both times it was seriously underwhelming!

IMG_8518_zps88993c09.jpg

I love the strawberry cupcake. As for the rest of the food I'm with you, I've been there a couple times and not been pleased with anything yet.

Cute photo with Emme!!

What is that room called that has all those portraits? I saw it in August for the first time and didn't know what to call it. :confused3

I hope your brother and dad are doing well. My son is back from Afghanistan and on a 3 week leave right now. Coincidently, he's spending a long weekend in Vegas with his wife and her family. Perhaps Vegas is medicinal for our troops! :)

SO glad to see Emme was feeling better the next morning! I'm sure the appeal of the MK helped heal her quickly haha. I will be on my way to the MK in about 24 hours, and I know that is helping me get through the school work of the weekend and today!

Great update
Glad Emme was feeling better - I'm sure the promise of a day in MK helped to speed up recovery :goodvibes

10311037985_57f7e2cb36.jpg

HELLO!

i still have to finish my updates over our trip during labor day weekend.

but i am so excited as emme & i are headed to disney tomorrow at about 2pm. i can't wait to spend some time with emme as it's been so hectic with work, school and my dad's health.

sooooooooo excited!

I love the strawberry cupcake. As for the rest of the food I'm with you, I've been there a couple times and not been pleased with anything yet.

Cute photo with Emme!!

What is that room called that has all those portraits? I saw it in August for the first time and didn't know what to call it. :confused3

I hope your brother and dad are doing well. My son is back from Afghanistan and on a 3 week leave right now. Coincidently, he's spending a long weekend in Vegas with his wife and her family. Perhaps Vegas is medicinal for our troops! :)

i'm glad he is home safely on leave! he lucked out as my brother and his unit got no vacation and they also did not get lunch. they had to eat MRE packages for lunch. not only that, he lived in a tent with a family of rats. way to support the troops, right?

my brother also went to vegas for a week. he's still in vacation mode but it's well deserved.

thank you for the nice comment on the pic!

SO glad to see Emme was feeling better the next morning! I'm sure the appeal of the MK helped heal her quickly haha. I will be on my way to the MK in about 24 hours, and I know that is helping me get through the school work of the weekend and today!

have fun at MK! we are leaving tomorrow after i work half a day! i'm glad she felt better too. i was very anxious!

Great update
Glad Emme was feeling better - I'm sure the promise of a day in MK helped to speed up recovery :goodvibes

thanks linda! maybe disney does have healing powers. :rotfl2:

updated 10/20/13

it was finally time to leave for our labor day trip to disney. emme was ready to go! we were also celebrating my birthday on this trip.

10395802523_4e25646465.jpg

we made our way to pop century. i got a good rate ($75) so i booked the hotel. normally, to save some money, i usually stay off site but for this trip, we were staying at pop. i had my reservations about staying here as my last stay at pop was awful. the bed was sagging in the middle and the pillows were the worst ever. this trip, we brought our own pillows and i was hoping for a decent bed.

10395632994_803a417444.jpg

10395823866_1e9437dfeb.jpg

i'm happy to say that the beds were not sagging. all the fridges were being refurbished at this time but i asked for a room with a fridge (there is a small replacement fridge). the pillows were terrible but i'm glad i brought my own....even though i forgot to bring them back with me. so tragic.

10395810593_93457eddf2.jpg

after some time at magic kingdom (the skies were so overcast and gloomy...it even drizzled), we happily made our way to ohana. i was so hungry and was looking forward to the meal. i did have an injured thumb. i sliced the side off with a mandolin on my dominant hand so peeling the shrimp was going to be a challenge but it was a challenge i was willing to take.

10395821096_807d9fe128.jpg

we started with the friendship bread or what i like to call, FILLER

10395819136_ebb2a002a4.jpg

emme loves this bread. actually, she likes any kind of bread. she survives on bread, rice and yogurt while at disney. she ate the insides of two loaves.

10395961293_dea3e73338.jpg

friendship bread destruction.

next up, the delicious salad! even though i also consider the salad filler, the salad was so refreshing & fresh. i loved the dressing. it was delicious!

10395651574_6e54565337.jpg

10395647714_77fca99766.jpg

i was parched, so what's better than a lapu lapu to quench my thirst?!

10395958003_7c2ccf8b0f.jpg

10395894103_6bd8fc0c5f.jpg

up next, the noodles & veggies. the noodles & veggies are very standard "fast food chinese" style. they aren't bad but they definitely to me, are considered more filler. i had a bite of each and moved on.

10395769675_ab0400ecae.jpg

now, onto my favorite part of the meal....the POTSTICKERS!!!!

10395777135_967e3bf107.jpg

10395730355_0494c4ca9e.jpg

i LOVE LOVE LOVE these potstickers. they are very authentic tasting and very scrumptious. i only eat the middle section of the potstickers because the filling is so yummy.

10395734186_9297a636db.jpg

however, i have serious issues with the wings. the wings are always soggy. soggy wings gross me out. i love me a crispy wing. the wings are crispy out of the fryer but i think the sauce is just too thick and probably cold when the wings are tossed in it....which equals a soggy wing. they are sticky & soggy. it's kind of a gross combination.

emme is a picky eater. we eat mainly korean food at home so emme eats rice at ohana. a bowl of rice cost me $16.00. i wish there was a pricing difference for children ages 3-5. 3-9 is such a huge gap....my kid eats maybe a plate of food at a buffet. it's ridiculous.

10395723685_63108954eb.jpg

here come the meats:

10395757245_4c49ef1563.jpg

my first serving of the steak was cooked just to my liking. unfortunately, the second serving was very dry. but that's ok. i was still on a food high from devouring all the potstickers.

10395715954_3d271ba4f1.jpg

i had a fear the pork would be dry but to my surprise, it was very moist. it paired really nicely with the dipping sauces. i enjoyed my serving.

10395901813_4faeba92c5.jpg

i haven't had much luck with the chicken here. it's either over cooked or undercooked. mine looked a little pink so i didn't even chance it. PASS.

10395759714_8f8e993af1.jpg

ah, shrimp. how you taunt me with your deliciousness. as mentioned prior, i sliced the side of my thumb using a mandolin, so peeling these things were next to impossible. i was so desperate to eat one that i ended up eating more shell than shrimp. the shrimp is so awesome dipped in the sauces but it was just not meant for me during this trip.

onto dessert:

10395846833_74eee2ecf8.jpg

10395697955_4eda62eae7.jpg

10395683625_beebcc8048.jpg

birthday cupcake

10395679754_b560ec67ac.jpg

i'm not much of a sweets person but i did have a few bites of this. i liked it but honestly, i was so terribly full. uncomfortably full. emme loved her ice cream and she also ate my cupcake AND blew out the candle. happy birthday to ME!

overall, we had a really nice meal at ohana. we even got to see wishes during dinner. it was a great start to the birthday weekend. our server was a bit slow but it gets really busy inside of there so she gets a pass. i've actually never received great service at ohana dinner...just breakfast.

10395699665_2d9bed76e4.jpg

up next, breakfast at AKERSHUS.

This is a great review. I like how you review the drinks!

Your daughter really is cute. She looks like she is having a lot of fun on your trips. Best to your Dad and brother, hope they are doing well :flower3:

This is a great review. I like how you review the drinks!

Your daughter really is cute. She looks like she is having a lot of fun on your trips. Best to your Dad and brother, hope they are doing well :flower3:

thanks for reading along & the nice compliments as well as the well wishes.

my dad is doing great & has a brain MRI scheduled for tomorrow to see if the new oral chemo is effective. my brother is starting to adjust. :cool2:

updated 10/21/13

AKERSHUS BREAKFAST

we happily made our way to epcot to have breakfast at akershus. akershus is probably my favorite place to eat breakfast while at disney...and want to know why? two words: CHEESY POTATOES! (back to the cheesy potatoes later).

10412332626_a7f92f3180.jpg

emme was really excited to wear her tinkerbell costume on this day!

10412501183_bb9fe02478.jpg

and a picture in front of spaceship earth together.

10412443836_e8793d8a32.jpg

we were early for breakfast so we made a pit stop to ride spaceship earth. emme loves this ride. there was no wait so i was happy about that.

finally, we made our way to akershus.

to those unfamiliar with akershus, this is a princess dining experience. the princesses rotating during breakfast are ariel, snow white, sleeping beauty & cinderella. the princess that greets you is belle. included with your meal is a photo keepsake with belle. it's quite nice to receive something for a pretty pricey meal.

10412425884_2eb5da16a8.jpg

after our picture, we were sat in the middle dining area. there is a cold buffet which includes an assortment of norweigian staples as well as yogurt, fruit, pastries and fruit. there is something for everyone.

10412408466_aba9eea316.jpg

10412391424_8e9e96cced.jpg

10412393595_97a82050e6.jpg

10412403146_9c3c66acff.jpg

10412392846_746c1ddc89.jpg

like i said, from the cold buffet alone, there is something for everyone. the fruit is always sweet and very fresh. the croissants are flaky and the smoked salmon and capers are heavenly.

we made a trip to the buffet and here are our plates:

10412418734_f37abd3ae0.jpg

this is emme's plate. she picks this every time we go.

here is my choice:

10412346364_a52edce6bb.jpg

i always enjoy the smoked salmon with capers and red onions. the blackberries were also very sweet & scrumptious! along with the coffee & juice, we were off to a smashing start.

along with the cold buffet offerings, a plate of "hot" food is served family style. all items are all you care to eat:

10412422125_aa2ce996ca.jpg

and the star of the show is the

*drumroll*

CHEESY POTATOES!!!

10412568433_a84fcfa9ff.jpg

these potatoes are worth a trip to akershus. it is my favorite breakfast item in all of disney. they are creamy, comforting, & sinfully good. i noticed my portion was small upon the first serving....so what's a girl to do?!

i quickly devoured them and politely asked for a second serving.

and here is my beautiful second serving:

10412370766_c1d08241d7.jpg

i am happily reunited with my cheesy potatoes.

10412554953_7b618f205d.jpg

another great thing about akershus breakfast is REAL BACON. the bacon is pretty thick by disney standards and is not flimsy like most of the bacon you see on disney buffet lines.

10412357365_d125fbe3b0.jpg

as we (or rather me) was stuffing my faces, a few of emme's friends stopped by to stay hello:

10412565393_bc83fdc21e.jpg

snow white

10412513143_a908c525eb.jpg

cinderella

10412411875_bac002c78f.jpg

ariel loved my shirt with prince eric.

there's always a princess processional during the meal as well.

10412523183_267a8dc5b7.jpg

10412429636_36d6d548fa.jpg

sleeping beauty

akershus also acknowledged my birthday & brought me out a cute cupcake with mickey sprinkles in addition to a birthday card.

10412364995_b5ecbf6110.jpg

10412358274_f54890fd12.jpg

10412388066_7e411e1d10.jpg

overall, this was another great breakfast at akershus. all the food was delicious and i was happily reunited with my cheesy potatoes. i prefer akershus over CRT as at CRT you are rushed and if on a dining plan, it costs you 2 credits (that's nuts). given, you aren't eating in cinderella's castle but you are eating in a castle while having a meal at akershus. the service was excellent on this trip. two thumbs up from me & emme. i love breakfast at akershus!

on our way out, belle looked a bit lonely so we said hello & snapped one last picture.

10412525603_d9e87db7bc.jpg

i highly recommend akershus...even if character dining or princesses aren't your thing. there is something for everyone & the food really is very good. the service has always been great at breakfast (i've had pretty terrible service during lunch & dinner) and breakfast hands down is my favorite meal to have at akershus. akershus accepts TIW!

up next, snackin around epcot

Hey Patty,
I was the one who came up to you when waiting for Snow White and rapunzel! I am definitely a lurker but have always enjoyed your and Rachel's reports, they helped us pick at least 70% of our restaurants for this trip! Sorry I came up with no notice, I didn't mean to spook you just wanted to say hi! Hope you have a great birthday weekend.

Hey Patty,
I was the one who came up to you when waiting for Snow White and rapunzel! I am definitely a lurker but have always enjoyed your and Rachel's reports, they helped us pick at least 70% of our restaurants for this trip! Sorry I came up with no notice, I didn't mean to spook you just wanted to say hi! Hope you have a great birthday weekend.

hello!!

i had a migraine that day (i had 2 total in 2.5 days at disney) & it was so unexpected. i wasn't spooked just a bit surprised. i probably looked a hot mess too. :lmao:

BUT...

i'm glad our reviews have been helpful! that is really awesome to hear. that actually makes me pretty happy.

i wish we could have had a re-do in the line and "re-meet". :cool2:

hope you had a fantastic trip...my birthday weekend for this trip report was awesome!

I swear Emme just gets cuter! She is adorable in her Tinker-bell outfit :)

thanks linda!

i'm sure she will have some sort of costume on in december. if she could sleep in a costume, she totally would. she even wears them to school. :laughing:

That picture of Emme in her Tink costume is adorable!!

thank you!

i actually bought those wings separately on amazon as the wings that came with the costume were terrible. got the costume on clearance from target...$9.99!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter