"Big Gift" for 2007

Ahh Christmas presents.
This has really been a hard one.
First of all I have DL booked for Dec 23- 28
but I have really been thinking about cancelling and booking WDW for March and just giving them a few gifts and let the big gift come later. Then another idea I have is to get them a Wii to share and few games, and book WDW for the end of August like we did last year. My kids really have everything they could want or need. I refuse to buy anymore toys. DS7 always wants toys but they just pile up in the closet. So this week we are doing some major closet cleaning!!
I really would like to go to WDW in August but I am not sure if they would feel jipped by not getting their present until 8 months later. Or just get them the Wii to share do a short DL trip in March and then WDW in August and use the time share instead of staying on disney property.
Decisions, decisions.

A trip to Rome during Feb vacation At 11 and 13 I am done w/toys and things that have high cost and fleeting enjoyment. Three gifts under the tree like the wise men brought to Jesus, and a trip for all of us to love and spend time together

We have everything a 12yo could ever want!!! Not really but it seems that way. I have a couple of really small things for this year but have given NO THOUGHT to actual Christmas gifts. It's September 9th!!!!! Can I celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving first???? I just can not be focused this early on the materialism of Christmas. Besides, my son's birthday was in late July and he's still got tons of cash and gift cards to spend from that. Whatever does he need? I like the idea of three gifts and a vacation.

Well, we are leaving for a Disney Cruise on Dec. 28th, (our first), so, i will probably get dd some Disney stuff, but not too much.. it will be a light spending Christmas..b/c of the trip. Luckily my dd is only 6 (almost 7) and understands the real reason we celebrate. ;)
However, she has been bugging me for a guitar and lessons for about a year now, so i might have to cave - at least it would give her something to do this winter..

My DD's are 17 and 18 so I am doing a "hope chest" for them. My father is building the chests and I will fill them with household items. I already got lots of "mickey themed" kitchen stuff at Disney and now I am waiting for black friday shopping to go nuts.

DS 13 want a play station 3 so that will be his only gift.

We have everything a 12yo could ever want!!! Not really but it seems that way. I have a couple of really small things for this year but have given NO THOUGHT to actual Christmas gifts. It's September 9th!!!!! Can I celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving first???? I just can not be focused this early on the materialism of Christmas. Besides, my son's birthday was in late July and he's still got tons of cash and gift cards to spend from that. Whatever does he need? I like the idea of three gifts and a vacation.

Materialism is not a factor in thinking of Christmas now for some. As for myself, it's a matter of budgeting money and my time wisely. If you do a little shopping all along (whether it's for birthdays, Christmas, etc.) you're never stressed to do much of anything when holidays come about other than enjoy your family and friends.

Russ will be getting his first bike. And probably some train buildings to go with his miles of track. That's about all he wants - toddlers are easy!

for dd/almost 12: A new baby blue beach cruiser and some new dance leos/dancewear. Since her birthday is in Nov, she is getting cash for our upcoming WDW trip.

for ds/17: $$$ and a gift certificate to his fav guitar shop

DH and I have really been pondering this as weel. Originally we thought of a Nintendo DS for my 9 year old DD, and weren't really sure about my 4 year old. Instead, my oldest DD has completely outgrown her bike, so that will be on the list instead, and we may also get a basketball goal. We're really trying to get "healthier" stuff, instead of a bunch of video games. They'll still get 1 or 2, along with some DVD's (HSM2, Ratatouille) and some CD's (Hannah Montana, Kids Bop 12) but I'm kinda clueless otherwise. We've also made a decision to cut waaaay back on Christmas this year, since I'm in school and haven't found a part time job yet.

As my kids have gotten older I've gradually reduced the gifts and increased the travel. I do owe the kids new cell phones after November when their 'new every 2' plan goes into effect. So, those will be one item each. DD18 gets to stay in college... that's another gift :lmao:

This year, we'll be spending a week at the Grand Wailea on Maui over the holidays where we'll meet up with other family members. We fly free so we'll probably do a couple of weekend trips to Chicago and New York City for clothes/shoe shopping before or after. I had to put a complete stop to all the little junky stuff that doesn't last.

A trip to Rome during Feb vacation At 11 and 13 I am done w/toys and things that have high cost and fleeting enjoyment. Three gifts under the tree like the wise men brought to Jesus, and a trip for all of us to love and spend time together

I am loving this idea...
hmm-- if I am debt free in 2007, can I go on a cruise in 2008??(cash, of course;) )

Does anyone know of any good DS games coming out? My DD8 has one and I want to get her a few more...She already has one of the SuperMario games and a Zack and Cody game?

Thanks

Materialism is not a factor in thinking of Christmas now for some. As for myself, it's a matter of budgeting money and my time wisely. If you do a little shopping all along (whether it's for birthdays, Christmas, etc.) you're never stressed to do much of anything when holidays come about other than enjoy your family and friends.

I cannot agree more - PLUS, I love GIVING thoughtful gifts for Christmas. . . IF I didn't get a thing I would be fine (I usually tell my family not to get me anything AND my husband and I have only exchanged thoughtful gifts under $20 for the last two years - picture book, letters to each other, etc.).

We are quite religious and know and celebrate the reason for the season. .. CHrist's birth. . . but I also love to give to others, no matter the reason (birthdays, holiday's, etc). There is something special of giving someone sometthing they need or can cherish.

I do agree that going crazy to get the most expensive things may not be the best, but to each her/his own. My family usually did one big gift to share, or one nice doll/toy and then necessities. . . but not everyone is the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter