Bathrooms

If everyone cleaned up after themselves, Disney would only need staff to restock the toilet paper and paper towels, and fill the soap dispensers. I cannot understand people that are absolute slobs who think nothing of expecting Disney to clean up after them and with complete disregard for the next guest who enters the stall. Do your business, clean up after yourself and wash your hands on the way out. Is that so difficult?

And empty the trash cans and wipe down the counters and clean the floors....

OK, I missed a few things but they shouldn't have to clean the stalls or even most of the floor mess if people cleaned up after themselves. I think a lot of the complaints about the bathrooms are for issues created by other guests. Yes, we should expect Disney to staff the cleaning crews so supplies are replenished, trash cans are emptied and common surfaces are addressed. However I think guests should treat public bathrooms and even dining spaces as they would at their own home or even the home of a friend or relative, meaning if you make a mess you clean it up. To me, this is basic respect for others.

Last edited:
OK, I missed a few things but they shouldn't have to clean the stalls or even most of the floor mess if people cleaned up after themselves. I think a lot of the complaints about the bathrooms are for issues created by other guests. Yes, we should expect Disney to staff the cleaning crews so supplies re replenished, trash cans are emptied and common surfaces are addressed. However I think guests should treat public bathrooms and even dining spaces as they would at their own home or even the home of a friend or relative, meaning if you make a mess you clean it up. To me, this is basic respect for others.
Agreed. However, part of my point is that one of the biggest problems I see in the bathrooms is overflowing trashcans. That's a clear sign that the place just isn't being visited often enough by custodial staff.

Even worse than the guy with poor aim is the woman who straddles the seat because she is afraid to sit on it. She invariably pees all over the seat and then leaves without cleaning it up. ICK! Or her sister, who drapes the entire seat with toilet paper and then walks out with the toilet paper on the seat. What makes her think I want to dispose of her urine soaked toilet paper?

This X 10000!!! It's disgusting that people leave rest rooms like that.

Pete's inclination to blame Disney management for filthy bathrooms is a point well taken. But frankly, I have to put some of the blame on Disney guests, too. I mean, why are there so many guests who can't flush the damn toilet after they do their business? And either there's a lot of men with bad aim out there, or who can't be bothered to lift the seat up. My God, people, get your s--- together, literally!

Anyway, filthy guests create filthy bathrooms. I put half the blame on them.

One final thought, it's amazing the number of people who will go out of their way not to touch a toilet or urinal (kicking the flusher with their foot, etc.), but then walk out of the bathroom without washing their hands.
Guests are no more filthy then they were 20 years ago, and the bathrooms back then were pristine....i have been a vocal critic of the downturn in overall quality at the parks since post 2001...and the first place it reared its ugly head was most definitely the bathrooms

I have always thought in the age of smartphones that Disney could save a bundle by allowing its customers through its app to identify for them places like bathrooms that may need attention, messes created in the park, or any other maintenance issue that may be seen....it certainly could not hurt

If everyone cleaned up after themselves, Disney would only need staff to restock the toilet paper and paper towels, and fill the soap dispensers. I cannot understand people that are absolute slobs who think nothing of expecting Disney to clean up after them and with complete disregard for the next guest who enters the stall. Do your business, clean up after yourself and wash your hands on the way out. Is that so difficult?

And clean the toilets, counters, sinks, etc. so that everything is sanitary.

I need to join in on this, lately the amount of garbage that is being left by guests all over the place is just lazy.. they just leave anything they don't need anywhere they want..

I do however blame disney for a lot of this. You can tell there is a reduction in castmembers that are on shift at any time so that means there is less castmembers walking around. They didn't increase sanitation to make up for this lack of people to discover there is a mess. If you don't know, walt started a policy that it's every castmembers job to keep the place clean so the reduction in staff to walk past garbage and deal with it has just made the whole place more of a mess. So sanitation stuff that didn't grow is dealing with more messes in more places and they need to increase the ranks and not just automate the garbage can to tell you it's full.

Not lazy. Poor upbringing

Perhaps we need to try what Shanghai Disneyland had to do and post/handout etiquette and rules of conduct to all those entering the parks about how to behave and how to help keep the parks clean for everyone.

Think about it a lot of these people doing these things have disgusting homes. If they aren't going to take care of their own place why would they care about anyplace else.

Then you have those that believe that "Hey this isn't my house why should I have to clean up. That's what they(Disney employees) get paid for here." :sad2:

Even worse than the guy with poor aim is the woman who straddles the seat because she is afraid to sit on it. She invariably pees all over the seat and then leaves without cleaning it up. ICK! Or her sister, who drapes the entire seat with toilet paper and then walks out with the toilet paper on the seat. What makes her think I want to dispose of her urine soaked toilet paper?
I know they are afraid to touch the toilet at all, so they wouldn't do this, but....
They should be raising the seat and straddling

I couldn't get over the number of people that didn't flush. Yes, at the parks they have auto-flush toilets. But at the resorts, they don't. I walked into the bathroom at a resort and 4 of the 5 stalls needed flushed. It was unbelievable.

I believe it's a combination of things. As people have said, back in the early days there were rest room attendants in just about every rest room ....but, then back then it was only MK. After Epcot was added I also remember attendants.....not so much after HS and AK. Also, even with park attendance falling, there are still many, many more people going thru the parks on a daily basis than years ago. We also have more international visitors than years ago and I probably will get flamed for saying it......but, there are many international visitors from countries who simply do not have the same ideas of cleanliness that Americans do..... I'm also sure there are many more Americans visiting the parks who do not have the same ideas of cleanliness from years past. I have seen on more than one occasion people allowing their young children to simply urinate in a grassy or mulched area in the middle of a park...the first time I saw it I couldn't believe it. We see it in the housekeeping areas.....rooms are not as clean as they used to be.......that's not an opinion, but, a fact. Our entire culture is changing.....not for the good. It makes me very sad sometimes to walk thru WDW and see things that were pristine before and no longer are. As for my family, we continue to clean up after ourselves and if we are unfortunate when we check-in and receive a room that hasn't been cleaned properly I have requested a housekeeping supervisor to inspect the room and reclean if necessary. We have had at least two instances over the past 5 to 8 yrs when this was necessary and several more times when I cleaned a few things myself which weren't up to par with my standard.

I couldn't get over the number of people that didn't flush. Yes, at the parks they have auto-flush toilets. But at the resorts, they don't. I walked into the bathroom at a resort and 4 of the 5 stalls needed flushed. It was unbelievable.

I wonder if part of it is that people almost expect auto flushers now and don't bother to check if the toilet flushes or not, assuming that it will flush on it's own

(not saying that is a good excuse not to check or anything)

I know I am in the minority here but I honestly find the bathrooms in WDW to be clean and well attended overall.

I know I am in the minority here but I honestly find the bathrooms in WDW to be clean and well attended overall.
I've been here two days. So far the only bathroom that could've used some attention at the sinks would be the one right outside Space Mountain. Otherwise they've been good.

I've been here two days. So far the only bathroom that could've used some attention at the sinks would be the one right outside Space Mountain. Otherwise they've been good.
Oh wow, Ryan - forgot all about the incredible feat you're going to accomplish. Good luck, my friend. Have fun, and please -- don't hurt yourself!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter