Bathrooms

DisneyKingpin

Mouseketeer
Pete's inclination to blame Disney management for filthy bathrooms is a point well taken. But frankly, I have to put some of the blame on Disney guests, too. I mean, why are there so many guests who can't flush the damn toilet after they do their business? And either there's a lot of men with bad aim out there, or who can't be bothered to lift the seat up. My God, people, get your s--- together, literally!

Anyway, filthy guests create filthy bathrooms. I put half the blame on them.

One final thought, it's amazing the number of people who will go out of their way not to touch a toilet or urinal (kicking the flusher with their foot, etc.), but then walk out of the bathroom without washing their hands.

I need to join in on this, lately the amount of garbage that is being left by guests all over the place is just lazy.. they just leave anything they don't need anywhere they want..

I do however blame disney for a lot of this. You can tell there is a reduction in castmembers that are on shift at any time so that means there is less castmembers walking around. They didn't increase sanitation to make up for this lack of people to discover there is a mess. If you don't know, walt started a policy that it's every castmembers job to keep the place clean so the reduction in staff to walk past garbage and deal with it has just made the whole place more of a mess. So sanitation stuff that didn't grow is dealing with more messes in more places and they need to increase the ranks and not just automate the garbage can to tell you it's full.

I'm curious how you know how many people are flushing with their foot (and not washing their hands)? Are you in the stalls with them? Peeking through the cracks?? While I agree not washing ones hands after using the toilet is cringe worthy, I can't fathom how you would know who is toe flushing at all.

In the interest of full disclosure, if it isn't a self flush toilet, I toe flush. but I wash my hands. Please be sure to note me in the correct column.

It would be interesting to study if Magic Kingdom has a significantly higher flush per guest average then Disneyland.
Since many DLR guests are locals, stay at nearby walking distance motels or eat offsite and take lengthy midday breaks, guests feasibly may avoid using park bathrooms altogether, (whether it's their intent or not) based on their bathroom habits.
Hence, it may be WDW is at a crappy disadvantage in the bathroom cleanliness comparison.

I use my foot to flush. The very first thing guys do after they flush is wash their hands (or they are supposed to) so the handle on a urinal is theoretically the most disgusting thing to touch. This is made much more difficult since guys tend to miss so I have to get one foot up five feet in the air while the other is standing on a wet tile floor.

In roughly 30 visits to WDW I have never used a stall in the parks, but I imagine they have to be better than a rest stop or gas station.

The real question would be are people doing this more than they used to, or are is it just much more noticeable because of the cuts in people making sure these things are corrected quickly? I would lean to the latter.

I'm a 25 year veteran of DW. I will say it's a combination. In the early years we had more respect for each other and so we flushed. Also, there was more pride. Also, in the early years I would say there was an attendant in the rest room taking care of stuff more often.

Also, I believe parents were more with their children in the same stall to help flush and now not so much.

Ultimately, I don't think we are going to change the habits of the current guests; so, ultimately, we need more cast members to handle it.

Can I just say went to take a look at the Poly for the first time and they have the cleanest and the nicest smelling toilets ever - I was so impressed felt I needed to tell my DH and post it here.

I would love to know what scent they use.

Although I did notice a couple of messy Loos in the MK which is a shame, especially as they are trying to keep the magic by having themed toilets.

I tell you, nothing brings you out of your Disney haze quicker than icky restrooms.

This part not so much anymore, attendance is not record breaking, its falling.

Falling vs last year but still pretty crowded compared to 7-10 years ago

I think it is a combination of people not caring about others as much and the reduction of staff ... so increased need for staff but less staff there and bingo-bango mess loos

Even worse than the guy with poor aim is the woman who straddles the seat because she is afraid to sit on it. She invariably pees all over the seat and then leaves without cleaning it up. ICK! Or her sister, who drapes the entire seat with toilet paper and then walks out with the toilet paper on the seat. What makes her think I want to dispose of her urine soaked toilet paper?

Even worse than the guy with poor aim is the woman who straddles the seat because she is afraid to sit on it. She invariably pees all over the seat and then leaves without cleaning it up. ICK! Or her sister, who drapes the entire seat with toilet paper and then walks out with the toilet paper on the seat. What makes her think I want to dispose of her urine soaked toilet paper?

Agreed!!! If you hover, please clean up after yourself!! So rude!

I have a "decoration" on the back of my bathroom door that I've had for MANY years - shaped like a toilet seat, it says

"If you sprinkle when you tinkle
Please be a sweetie
And wipe the seatie"

Maybe I should sell the idea to WDW? :rolleyes:
Haha! My grandmother's is - "Please be neat, and wipe the seat."

The inside handle of the bathroom door (to get out of the stall) is the filthiest thing people touch. Think about it.
It's post using the loo, pre-washing hands. Ugh. If you touch that, you better wash.

I think it's a vicious cycle. When a bathroom is kept in tip-top condition by custodial staff, guests are more likely to help keep it that way. When a bathroom is already a mess, people are quicker to just toss their trash wherever because what difference does it make. If the trash can is already overflowing and their are paper towels all over the floor, one more won't matter. But if the can is empty and the floor is spotless, people are more likely to make sure theirs makes it into the can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter