Anyone started Christmas shopping yet? What, Where and for who?

I would start early if I found something I thought someone would really like. That rarely happens, though. I usually do the bulk of my shopping in November so that I can enjoy December. My DD5's tastes change so quickly that it is hard to not be shopping up until the last minute.

I started a few weeks ago when someone posted about Target's unadvertised sale and cartwheel on disney infinity 3.0. I got a bunch that day, and since then Walmart did a big markdown on it as well. All told I got almost all of the characters and sets for about a 1/3 the cost. That'll be the shared gift for my two boys (4 &8). I'm hoping Black Friday or the run up to it will score me their individual gifts. I think the little one is getting a 2ds, and the big one will either get a couple of games or maybe a go pro or similar camera. I'm trying very very hard this year to not overbuy. I get stuff all summer and fall when it's a great price, but then December rolls around and I start wrapping and go where did all of this come from. Two years now I've had to put stuff back into my hiding spot because it was just toooo much.

I have ordered 4 essential oil diffusers from Amazon that are a new design for 3 family members. (They look cool so I am keeping one) These aren't due to be released/arrive until early October. I will buy 2 more for less $ for other family members. I use mine all the time and have heard lots of comments from family wishing they had one so that is my go-to gift for them. I will also get some oils for each of them when I see a good deal at Earthbound Trading store in a local mall.

My son built his own computer and wants color changing led lights to put inside of it, I grabbed them on a lightning deal on Amazon for 1/3 of the price of Lowes/Home Depot and it arrived yesterday.

I ordered myself a waterproof personal safe that would lock onto a beach chair for going to waterparks, well, my sister gave me one for my birthday, so the one I bought has never been opened and it will go to someone for Christmas. It would cost too much to return it with shipping. (Maybe I will save it for when my son goes away to college).

I'm thinking about one of those blow up air chairs for each of my kids-but only if I see positive reviews. Does anyone have one a recommend it?

That is all I have so far. I love this thread every year to get ideas!

Yep! I start almost the prior year!! I have been picking up some odds and ends as I found them -- funny socks as stocking stuffs, head lights for the kids, boogie boards for them. I also have some things I can finally unload like either the WDW Monopoly set or the Villains monopoly set (or both) and a snap circuit set. I also grabbed a fire stick for DH. Pre-ordered the illustrated 2nd HP book for DD. Have a shirt for my BIL and a trinket for my sister. Like melmel, trying hard not to overbuy this year so have paced myself. I also know stuff I'm probably going to try to get like Japan crate for my niece, sake for my brother and SIL, a book for my brother, a HP dress for another niece. Keeping an eye on prices of Chromebooks for the kids as they are getting to need them for school and fighting over the one family computer is getting old. But I am trying to dispense with what I have in my gift closet so I can whittle that down, including using some stuff in there for my littlest niece.

My kids are grown and married. No grandkids yet. I find things on sale at BBW or Targwt throughout the year. I like to buy gift cards when amazon has their lightning deals. We use them ourselves or I give to the kids, mailman, my hairdresser, etc. Vera Bradley had a great sale online and I picked up a few inexpensive things for a birthday coming up and Christmas.

I usually by my kids and extra backpack and lunchbox at the back-to-school sales and put them back for Christmas. Theirs don't usually make it a full year and choices are limited Oct-July!

I also buy school supplies now as stocking stuffers and class gifts. If your kids are Kinder-3rd grade, those 24 count colors are super cheap now, crazy expensive any other time of year, and most kids need another box half way through the year. Buy 25 boxes now and you have a much appreciated gift for the whole class.

I have a few things already purchased. For my oldest daughter, I bought the Gwen Stefani Urban Decay eye shadow palette when it was on sale for $25. For my youngest daughter, I've already purchased a large Elves Lego set that was on clearance at Target. I also bought her the Pie Face game when it was on special on Amazon Prime day. That's it so far but my oldest daughter also wants a Nike ball cap and some lenses for her iphone so I will be purchasing those soon. My youngest daughter wants new ballet booties and a new dance bag and I will also be purchasing those in the next month or so. I like to spread out the Christmas shopping and avoid the crowds!

Yep! I start almost the prior year!! I have been picking up some odds and ends as I found them -- funny socks as stocking stuffs, head lights for the kids, boogie boards for them. I also have some things I can finally unload like either the WDW Monopoly set or the Villains monopoly set (or both) and a snap circuit set. I also grabbed a fire stick for DH. Pre-ordered the illustrated 2nd HP book for DD. Have a shirt for my BIL and a trinket for my sister. Like melmel, trying hard not to overbuy this year so have paced myself. I also know stuff I'm probably going to try to get like Japan crate for my niece, sake for my brother and SIL, a book for my brother, a HP dress for another niece. Keeping an eye on prices of Chromebooks for the kids as they are getting to need them for school and fighting over the one family computer is getting old. But I am trying to dispense with what I have in my gift closet so I can whittle that down, including using some stuff in there for my littlest niece.

There's a WDW monopoly??? How did I not know about this!?!?!? I currently have A Christmas Story, The Godfather, The Beatles and SpongeBob!

I have started a little. Mostly stuff I see on clearance that I know a particular kid will like. For example, DD21 is an education major--we were in Office Depot the other day, and she really liked a certain lesson planner that I'll go back for when she's not with me. They also had cute erasers shaped like Ticonderoga pencils--she's obsessed with Ticonderoga pencils, so I thought those would be a good stocking stuffer. And you know darn well, if I don't get them now, I'll never remember--or find them--in December.

We also do a "silly Santa" on Christmas Eve, which is where everyone picks 3 gifts in turn, and you can steal them from each other, etc. I do some fun gifts and some gag gifts for this. Some serious, too--one that I already purchased was a Harry Potter coloring book with colored pencils (don't know who will wind up with that, all 4 of my kids are HP fans). Other ideas/purchases are a rubber chicken, gift cards, poo-pourri, a 2-liter bottle of soda, etc.--odd and goofy-type stuff.

Hi Hon
I am sooooo glad I am not the only one.
So here is my game plan.
Last year I spent until May 2016 paying off Christmas 2015 debt (mostly credit cards).
This year NO credit! (This Is My GOAL).

I started shopping last month: I bought a bunch of tupperware type bins and have filled each of them with stocking stuffer item, quite a few items from the Dollar Tree, Dollarama store and Pharmacy.
All that is left to go into them are a few chocolate,savory and fresh fruit treats.

I got a new American Express Card to get the bonus reward points and spent the required minimum on Christmas gift cards. Yesterday I paid off the balance of the card.
Each of my 3 adult sons is getting a
1) Want Gift card.
2) Need Gift card.
3) Favorite Restaurant Gift card.
4) Clothing Gift card.
These are now all paid for.

For my co workers everyone is getting a small tin of "Elf Kisses" (35 people)
I designed and printed a tag. I found cute tins at the dollar store to put the elf kisses in.
I will buy the Hershey Christmas kisses closer to Christmas (usually Costco has a good sale on them).

I was able to stock pile $200.00 on a grocery card to have available to buy Christmas groceries.
(I am off for two weeks at Christmas with no pay).

I am just waiting to see what my Granddaughter gets for her Birthday in Sept....as I
may be getting her a few Disney Park Passes for Christmas.
If not I have set a limit of $200.00 for her.
This will have to come out of my regular pay check.

Friends, neighbours and Secret Santa are all done--(small gifts with a small Gift Card,,I even have my brothers Birthday gift (yep you guessed right Dec 25th) bought and paid for.
I shop at a place called "Kitchen Stuff Plus" in the summer they have great sales on.

I feel way ahead this year and just knowing I am not charging up a storm on credit is a great feeling.
All the more savings for our Disney Spring Break trip!
Hugs to you
Mel

Elf tins
T0181W-289x202.jpg

Elf tag
elftagmel707_zpsbm7k94jc.jpg

Such a great idea.. sooo stealing it... I need something for a ladies group this fall, gonna switch it up a bit, with fall kisses..or Kisses of Fall or something like this for the tag.
Thank you:worship:

Last year we decided amongst some of the family to not do gifts except for kids. So shopping's not so stressful anymore, plus I was tired of doing it all for dh's side of the family. Would rather focus on hosting Christmas get togethers than more random stuff for hard to buy for people. I do all the entertaining at Christmas for both sides of the family, so I didn't feel guilty at all saying enough is enough! lol

Anyhoo...kids are getting older and want bigger ticket items. They both want to ski this year so will be getting $$ towards that. The older kids that are out of the house and working got gift baskets with a few things they like (like home made wine, treats, starbucks gcs and a nice cheque).

We have a small office and agreed long ago not to get each other gifts. We chip in for something decent for the boss as he's very generous to us with Christmas Gifts.

So, I will start putting away things for stocking stuffers and getting small gift cards each pay day for teacher gifts and the kids baskets, but most likely my shopping will be easy this year!

Yep bought 3 kindles with cases and year of apps for grandkids 3-3-2

Warranty was started (2 yrs) when I purchase in July. But app subscription won't start until it is connected to wifi apparently.

We give CASH , giftcard to restaurant, and small $100ish gift to each of our 4 children and their spouses. I had quilts made (5 of them) out of my daddy's shirts (he passed away in Oct. 2014). For my mom and 3 brothers ( and one for me).

My youngest grandchild will be 6mos. So nothing huge for him.

Hubs gives me a small gift, Disney trip and money.

I buy whatever is in his wish list on Amazon and a candy basket of his fave snacks-candy to take to work

I started a few weeks ago when someone posted about Target's unadvertised sale and cartwheel on disney infinity 3.0. I got a bunch that day, and since then Walmart did a big markdown on it as well. All told I got almost all of the characters and sets for about a 1/3 the cost. That'll be the shared gift for my two boys (4 &8). I'm hoping Black Friday or the run up to it will score me their individual gifts. I think the little one is getting a 2ds, and the big one will either get a couple of games or maybe a go pro or similar camera. I'm trying very very hard this year to not overbuy. I get stuff all summer and fall when it's a great price, but then December rolls around and I start wrapping and go where did all of this come from. Two years now I've had to put stuff back into my hiding spot because it was just toooo much.

I did the same, but at Best Buy - but I only got 4 figs (all under $2) and 1 playset (the Star Wars level for under $8). I figure my kids play with them like action figures, so even if they hate the game by Christmas, these were as cheap as the figs I could buy. I used to be able to do a lot more shopping early, but as kids get older (and want less toys), it's both cheaper and easier to wait til they know what they want. Heck, my 2nd oldest just had a birthday and she wanted 2 3ds video games, 1 $6 graphic novel, a big bag of jelly belly jelly beans (b/c she wanted to try all the flavors) and individual size Pop Rocks (b/c she wanted to see how these worked in your mouth)...and that's what she got (with some new bralettes). It let me give her a nicer party day b/c she didn't want much...and she was ecstatic that she got exactly what she asked for...

July always has great sales, so in the past few years I start then.

On prime day, I got my kids some of the flash sale toys, they had a lot of Melissa and Doug type play food and sets, that my DD3 loves, my DS5 I picked up 2 building sets for really cheap, and a drawing set.

I have also ordered my son a k'nex set on clearance from QVC. Our first week long family Disney trip (we have done 2 nights here and there) with the kids is in March so I picked up 4 disney tshirts each at JcPenny for $7.99 each.

For My husband I got an animal watch, and for my mom a miss piggy watch and I have a kermit watch In the set for another gift. That was a set of 3 from QVC that Was $27.00 (can't beat under $10 each and they are nice!)

I also got my husband a tall star wars T-Shirt for $11 at JcPenny.

I get my kids 10 things to open each, so I have 2 more gifts for each that I will wait until November to get so i can see what is on their lists. Though my son is all legos all the time so it's a pretty safe bet that is what he will get/want.

We do 2 family exchanges that I have to wait until November to see who I have. If not for that I would probably be done those. And pick up a few more things for my husband.

(Hangs head in shame) Hi, I'm MomToOne and I'm a ridiculously early Christmas shopper.....I am almost done (Runs and hides behind a tree to avoid the evil stares)

DD16 really needs a new cell phone, so I picked up the same one I have (unlocked) on a great sale recently. Rumor has it a new version will be released soon, so some retailers were having spot 1 day sales at really really great prices (about half the price I paid for mine just a year ago). I'm glad I picked one up because all of those really deep sales have now disappeared for just "blah" sales. I'm thinking the phone will go on deep sale again probably on Black Friday, maybe even slightly cheaper than I got it, but I never seem to score the really good Black Friday deals and I'm happy to pay a bit more to avoid that stress. Yes, the phone was released a year ago - oh the shame! - but it is plenty powerful even compared to this year's phones and has all the bells and whistles other than a fingerprint scanner. And she can survive without that.

I also picked up some other smaller under-the-tree items for her recently, and lots of stuff for her stocking, using some Google Express codes, on clearance at Kohl's with coupon codes, and during Jets's anniversary sale recently where they had some nice discount codes. I also just grabbed her a pair of Madden Girl boots the other day to replace a pair she's worn into the ground - I got a pretty good deal, but not fabulous brag-about-it-stuff - but I jumped on it because they've discontinued the style and I can't find another pair in her size anywhere at this point. One of the few things I still have left to get her will be some Bath and Body Works candles, which I will wait until I see a good sale - but I admit I already paid for them by picking up a gift card at one of the gift card resellers for a deep discount. I have a small amount of budget left for her since I've done so good on the other items, but I'll save that in reserve to pick up those too-good-to-pass-up-deals in October/November.

For other people, I grabbed my mother a really nice robe on clearance at Kohl's plus a 30% code a month or so ago. I also picked up some nicely priced boomerangs for the kids of some family friends I buy for on eBay/Amazon recently - I don't think I could have done any better on the price, and they are the kind of people that I struggle with ideas for, so once I get an idea I am just so happy about that that I go ahead and pick things up. I will add Target gift cards that I got on a recent cat litter deal - the litter was a deal in and of itself, the gift cards were just gravy, so it's like getting them for free.

My sibling gag gift is done and ready to go thanks to some really odd things I found at DollarTree. (A whopping $5 expense) We pick names and just have a gag gift war. What I got will work for any name I get.

The only other people I need to buy for are my nephews, and I just always get something from their lists but they don't do those until mid-November at the earliest. And they are at the cash-age (teens), so I may very well end up just buying them a small token gift and giving cash for the rest. That's pretty much what I did last year. That'll be about the only shopping I "have" to do during the traditional shopping season.

Last edited:
Hi Hon
I am sooooo glad I am not the only one.
So here is my game plan.
Last year I spent until May 2016 paying off Christmas 2015 debt (mostly credit cards).
This year NO credit! (This Is My GOAL).

I started shopping last month: I bought a bunch of tupperware type bins and have filled each of them with stocking stuffer item, quite a few items from the Dollar Tree, Dollarama store and Pharmacy.
All that is left to go into them are a few chocolate,savory and fresh fruit treats.

I got a new American Express Card to get the bonus reward points and spent the required minimum on Christmas gift cards. Yesterday I paid off the balance of the card.
Each of my 3 adult sons is getting a
1) Want Gift card.
2) Need Gift card.
3) Favorite Restaurant Gift card.
4) Clothing Gift card.
These are now all paid for.

For my co workers everyone is getting a small tin of "Elf Kisses" (35 people)
I designed and printed a tag. I found cute tins at the dollar store to put the elf kisses in.
I will buy the Hershey Christmas kisses closer to Christmas (usually Costco has a good sale on them).

I was able to stock pile $200.00 on a grocery card to have available to buy Christmas groceries.
(I am off for two weeks at Christmas with no pay).

I am just waiting to see what my Granddaughter gets for her Birthday in Sept....as I
may be getting her a few Disney Park Passes for Christmas.
If not I have set a limit of $200.00 for her.
This will have to come out of my regular pay check.

Friends, neighbours and Secret Santa are all done--(small gifts with a small Gift Card,,I even have my brothers Birthday gift (yep you guessed right Dec 25th) bought and paid for.
I shop at a place called "Kitchen Stuff Plus" in the summer they have great sales on.

I feel way ahead this year and just knowing I am not charging up a storm on credit is a great feeling.
All the more savings for our Disney Spring Break trip!
Hugs to you
Mel

Elf tins
T0181W-289x202.jpg

Elf tag
elftagmel707_zpsbm7k94jc.jpg

Where do you get the tins?

I start early with small gifts. For my nephews the first year I did their gifts I just got them a stocking with small toys and candy. Turns out their parents don't do stockings so it was a hit. I pick up small items throughout the year. It started with a green stocking and blue stocking on clearance at target. I have a few small things I picked up after Target holiday sales on those small toy bins. My local store had some board games 70% off last week so I picked up two for $12 to go with it. I got some items last winter at a Hallmark store that was going out of business. I also just bought a cell phone camera lens attachment for a few dollars at Walmart clearance for one of those generic last minute gifts. I do most of it when I get closer as I don't have a ton and some of it may need to be returned.

That reminds me there is a barnes & noble near me that always has a clearance table, I typically scout that for gifts too during the year. My other random place to scout out is Bed Bath & Beyond clearance to get things like candles and home gadgets. I live in an apt. so space is at a premium which means I only pick up certain things. I do make it a goal to buy gift wrap, bags, and baskets during the year. One year I needed baskets last minute and the best deal I got was at a craft store and it was like $50 for 4-5 baskets! :sad1: total budget buster.

Also I work in retail so I know some of the secrets. Like beauty products only have a certain shelf life and when I was at VS they would ship in older stuff from the warehouse to sell off cheap. By the time you gifted it a 6-12 months later it might turn so I avoid stocking up on things that are questionable.

The only gifts we give any more are to my son and my honey's nieces and nephews who get money. It started getting out of hand with me getting my two brother's, SIL, 5 nieces, 1 great niece and 4 co-workers, my son, my honey and honey getting his two grandmother's, mom and dad, brother and SIL 2 nieces and nephew something. We told all of our family year's ago not to get us stuff because we are that couple who if we want something we just go get it so really don't want or need anything. It got to the point almost as soon as we opened gifts, we were turning around and taking them to charity. We told them if they had to get us something to give to a charity in our name. Only one co-worker would get me something so it ended up with me getting everyone something and her giving me something which again 9 out of 10 times went to charity so I just stopped doing it and told her not to get me anything. We moved offices a year ago and there is no room in our current office to even put a tree up so I just put a nutcracker on a table and a wreath on the door. I stopped buying for my family because they started expecting it since we seem to be the only ones who can actually keep a job. My son is grown and has more clothes than I do so he requested just Amazon gift cards because he reads like crazy. His birthday is early December so I try to take him on a trip for that and then do something like pay his rent or car payment for xmas. Back when I bought gifts, I would just pick things up all year long when I saw something, sometimes not even knowing who would get them. Then I would forget I got them and buy more stuff and end up with way too much (which might be why my family started thinking they should get loads from me). Honey and I stopped exchanging gifts years ago, we have a nice dinner and try to go on a big dive trip every year.

I have a bunch of left over canning jars that I over bought last year,
I am looking for idea to make for a few close friends,,I found this online
e7eb4f50ce7fe5355e28aa0c4141c602.jpg

I think I'll try something similar.
Hugs Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter