Anyone started Christmas shopping yet? What, Where and for who?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
I confess..... Insert dramatic music here.... I did..

But... But...

I know its August and so so hot and school is starting but... I did it...

We are big into Christmas stocking, so finding stuff to fill them with is always a challenge and not spending a small fortune is another challenge.. Also big ticket items, I don't like running around at the last minute to get them.

So here I go.

Dollar tree - 2017 calendars small purse size, wall and planners, I was shocked how nice they were. Calendars for my mom, DD, and SIL and nieces, and I grabbed a few for my DH office admin's. I make them a basket. A planner for my Dad, and a couple of extras for the unknown gifts that will be needed. I bought 15 in all.

Home Goods, Marshalls, Ross, TJ Max - In the clearance areas - travel laundry bags for DD and one for DGS ( 18 months) with blue puppies.. so cute, some odds and ends kitchen items for DD, some bamboo cooking utensils, ice cream scoop, slotted cooking spoon, kitchen towels and a drying mat. She always asks for one big kitchen item so these will go in the box with it, so I got a jump on it this year. I found some Christmas mugs the big over sized really nice ones that will go into the unknown gift box. They were 1.00 or 2.00 which was a nice price. Napkins all sorts and sizes for the unknown gift box, it always seems like I am making a basket for some function, or for a gift exchange so I know that these will come in handy, they were from a dollar to 4 bucks, so again nice price. Regular store shopping area, some hair accessories, for DD and nieces - some little nail care kits for their purses, for my Mom, DD, SIL & nieces.

Macys - My mom had been looking at this scarf for a while but the last time we went it was gone. So I saw the same one at my Macy's, and it was on sale, when the girl check the price it had gone to clearance, plus clearance had a additional percent off, so I thought that would be a surprise for her and I had my coupon so I did get it for a good price around 25.00 bucks down from I think 70.00. She will be so surprised.

That's all so far... more dramatic music..

Anyone else what to confess....

I start my christmas shopping in the January sales and continue throughout the year as I find suitable items. It spreads the cost, means I don't have to brave the shops when they are mega busy in the run up to christmas, do not end up buying something unsuitable because i can't find something the recipient would like and it saves me a fortune as I rarely have the need to buy anything at full price.

I stalk the markdowns at LL Bean daily so when they put their Breakfast tote on a flash sale I bought ...seven! of them. They include pancake mix, Maine maple syrup and a mini tote bag. I think they will make nice hostess gifts for the holidays but I'm not sure why I thought I needed seven. :rolleyes1

I also got LL Bean lanterns for my sons (again on a daily markdown).

I have been picking up clearance stuff for the kids here and there. Got some flannel star wars sheets for $3 at Kohls (with kohls cash), and Meijer had a TON of Star Wars stuff up to 90% off. Even got a Furbacca for $20. Woo!

My 85 year old mom is done, and it's all wrapped.

She buys for her 5 kids, their 5 spouses, her 12 grand kids and her 8 grandkids.

I, on the other hand, am a total slacker. I'll start in October.

I don't buy main gifts until October/November, but have everything bought and wrapped in the 1st week of December so I can spend the rest of the holiday season relaxing and baking (drinking!!)

I buy stocking fillers all year too, my problem is remembering how much I've bought!! A couple of years back it was 'wrapping time' and when I got the "little bits and pieces" out (this is how I justify my purchases to DH!) I found that I had waaaay too much so we put together several smaller stockings and took them to our local foodbank...now my shopping obsession is a charitable deed every year! :lmao:

Noo
I confess..... Insert dramatic music here.... I did..

But... But...

I know its August and so so hot and school is starting but... I did it...

We are big into Christmas stocking, so finding stuff to fill them with is always a challenge and not spending a small fortune is another challenge.. Also big ticket items, I don't like running around at the last minute to get them.

So here I go.

Dollar tree - 2017 calendars small purse size, wall and planners, I was shocked how nice they were. Calendars for my mom, DD, and SIL and nieces, and I grabbed a few for my DH office admin's. I make them a basket. A planner for my Dad, and a couple of extras for the unknown gifts that will be needed. I bought 15 in all.

Home Goods, Marshalls, Ross, TJ Max - In the clearance areas - travel laundry bags for DD and one for DGS ( 18 months) with blue puppies.. so cute, some odds and ends kitchen items for DD, some bamboo cooking utensils, ice cream scoop, slotted cooking spoon, kitchen towels and a drying mat. She always asks for one big kitchen item so these will go in the box with it, so I got a jump on it this year. I found some Christmas mugs the big over sized really nice ones that will go into the unknown gift box. They were 1.00 or 2.00 which was a nice price. Napkins all sorts and sizes for the unknown gift box, it always seems like I am making a basket for some function, or for a gift exchange so I know that these will come in handy, they were from a dollar to 4 bucks, so again nice price. Regular store shopping area, some hair accessories, for DD and nieces - some little nail care kits for their purses, for my Mom, DD, SIL & nieces.

Macys - My mom had been looking at this scarf for a while but the last time we went it was gone. So I saw the same one at my Macy's, and it was on sale, when the girl check the price it had gone to clearance, plus clearance had a additional percent off, so I thought that would be a surprise for her and I had my coupon so I did get it for a good price around 25.00 bucks down from I think 70.00. She will be so surprised.

That's all so far... more dramatic music..

Anyone else what to confess....

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually do the bulk of my shopping in early October, and then finish up buying whatever we want for the house/family on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

We only really buy for the kids, a family grab bag, a niece and a nephew (one gift each) and a few small things (gift cards and tools) for the MIL and FIL. With such a small list, it's easy to get it done in one day or sitting at the computer.

I'm usually a year round Christmas shopper and should be nearly done by now. But we did a big move across country this year. Husband moved to Georgia in January to start job, my daughter and I stayed behind in California until she finished school. With everything going on, a house to sell, a house to buy and now a master bath re-do we weren't planning on...funds are going elsewhere. I usually look forward to Christmas shopping but dreading it very much this year.

since the majority of what I buy for my kids are video games and dvds I have to wait until the stores institute their extended return policys so I can't really get started until early to mid November.

I did find one thing for dd while we were vacationing-I walked into a grocery store and saw some kitchenware on a clearance rack where I managed to get her a set of 2 really nice ceramic double handled soup bowls. she's really into making soups and stews, and since these are oven safe she can give making French onion soup a try.

Former Macy's executive here... If you're christmas shopping at Macy's DO NOT go on black friday. The specials arent any more "special" than a normal one day sale. Wait until either Shop for a Cause/Friends and Family (25% off almost entire store) or Lowest Prices of the Season Sale. I don't work there anymore so I don't know the dates but S4AC is usually in August and F&F I believe was November

already have multiple presents for DD stashed away. I know Santa is going to bring the Cinderella Castle LEGO set but he / she is waiting to hopefully get it at the Disney Springs LEGO store and use her AP to get 10% off (hoping it isn't excluded from that!)

I pick up things all year long, but last night I purchased the first gift of the season for my DS17...a trash can with the Union Jack on it, with dorm room in mind! Yippee!!

Oh yea baby! I bought some stocking stuffers at the after Christmas sales last year haha! DS is 3 now so we're not quite in the "I want exactly this" for xmas yet so I pick things up year round. I just bought his first real toy gift at Target's toy clearance- a Miles From Tomorrowland for less than $10. I bought DH two pieces of clothing from Vineyard Vines' 50% off clearance sale, got a Northface lightweight jacket for my dad - getting him a jacket he'll actually wear has been going on a 10 year thing in our family. I also made a mug on Shutterfly for my mom of our recent Disney trip because Shutterfly had a free mug promo. And I bought a random coaster at Kirklands for my BIL who loves bacon. I also bought a "grandparents" frame on clearance at Target very early in the year for my IL's. I imagine once DS gets more specific about his list each year I'll need to wait until closer. Last year I didn't do well with ahead of time shopping and regretted it. My goal this year is to spend more time baking and less worrying about gifts in December :)

Hi Hon
I am sooooo glad I am not the only one.
So here is my game plan.
Last year I spent until May 2016 paying off Christmas 2015 debt (mostly credit cards).
This year NO credit! (This Is My GOAL).

I started shopping last month: I bought a bunch of tupperware type bins and have filled each of them with stocking stuffer item, quite a few items from the Dollar Tree, Dollarama store and Pharmacy.
All that is left to go into them are a few chocolate,savory and fresh fruit treats.

I got a new American Express Card to get the bonus reward points and spent the required minimum on Christmas gift cards. Yesterday I paid off the balance of the card.
Each of my 3 adult sons is getting a
1) Want Gift card.
2) Need Gift card.
3) Favorite Restaurant Gift card.
4) Clothing Gift card.
These are now all paid for.

For my co workers everyone is getting a small tin of "Elf Kisses" (35 people)
I designed and printed a tag. I found cute tins at the dollar store to put the elf kisses in.
I will buy the Hershey Christmas kisses closer to Christmas (usually Costco has a good sale on them).

I was able to stock pile $200.00 on a grocery card to have available to buy Christmas groceries.
(I am off for two weeks at Christmas with no pay).

I am just waiting to see what my Granddaughter gets for her Birthday in Sept....as I
may be getting her a few Disney Park Passes for Christmas.
If not I have set a limit of $200.00 for her.
This will have to come out of my regular pay check.

Friends, neighbours and Secret Santa are all done--(small gifts with a small Gift Card,,I even have my brothers Birthday gift (yep you guessed right Dec 25th) bought and paid for.
I shop at a place called "Kitchen Stuff Plus" in the summer they have great sales on.

I feel way ahead this year and just knowing I am not charging up a storm on credit is a great feeling.
All the more savings for our Disney Spring Break trip!
Hugs to you
Mel

Elf tins
T0181W-289x202.jpg

Elf tag
elftagmel707_zpsbm7k94jc.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Fire Stick on Prime Day and I plan on getting a TV for our bedroom.
I will probably grab some odds and end gifts at WS when we are there next month.
I will wait until closer to Christmas to get the bigger ticket items for the kids.

I just started shopping early this year and have now got about half done. We have a trip to WDW the week after Thanksgiving so I want to be done with shopping and wrapping so that we can come home and just enjoy the christmas season

So far I've bought three Lego Minecraft sets I got on clearance, 5 dress up outfits from the Disney Store for less than 15 apiece on sale as well as the crowns and accessories to go with them. I plan on making my DD 2 and my DD 3 a dress-up station and a play kitchen for christmas. I also got my son a BB-8 toy, a dinosaur toy he wanted and my girls two razor scooters. I still have so much to do but I'm hoping I'll get it all done.

I was actually talking to a co-worker about this earlier! Normally I start around back to school time since Meijer, Target, and Walmart do toy clearances around then. Last year I slacked and waited until the last minute, but in my defense I was about to have a baby in July. This year I started early again. Right now I buy for mostly little ones (DS 4, DD 1 and 2 nephews who are 4 and currently 6 months). The adults prefer gift cards so that's easy. For DD I picked up the princess castle when the disney store was having that promo for spending $125 and getting it free. For DS I was able to pick up Miles and the exoflex suit on clearance from toys r us. Target has a deal in store for a really nice activity cube for $15 that I'm hoping to get for our nephew, but the stores around me sold out on Sunday and are still out of stock. I'm hoping that comes back in later this week. I've also picked up a few smaller things for stocking stuffers.

I am wrapping up my last summer birthday (2 in July and 1 in August) this coming Sunday and then it's full on start buying for Christmas :) Or at least putting extra aside so I will have it when I need it!! I am very limited in stores--rural area-- and my go to store, Hastings, has closed down so I'll be doing most of my shopping on line. Through Swagbucks so its worth it :):)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter