Anyone started Christmas shopping yet? What, Where and for who?

We have a couple of Christmas traditions that I buy for. We have a Lego Christmas village that we put together every year. It's my kids' favorite tradition. Last year I bought last year's and this year's new editions to the village together on sale from the Lego website. Because I bought them together I also got a free Lego Christmas set. On Christmas Eve the kids each get a new Christmas book and new pjs. I've already bought the new books. I've also bought a Christmas puzzle (we like to do new Christmas puzzles at Christmas time), a programmable robot (uses a programming language DS9 knows) on clearance at BN for DS5 and a few stocking stuffers.

I usually don't start shopping this early, but this year I have a few things. I always aim to be done by the first week of December so I can enjoy the holidays without shopping stress.
That deadline will be imperative this year. We leave for a cruise with my extended family on December 26th. The last thing I want to do is be running around shopping for last minute Christmas stuff or cruise stuff. So my goal is to have all shopping and wrapping done by the first week of December, and all the cruise packing and prep done at least the week before Christmas (except for the things we can't pack until the bitter end.)

So.. so far I purchased a pair of black leggings at Costco because my dd will need them. I got DS12 a snorkel set when Target had 25% off outdoor and summer toys. He can bring that on the cruise for our beach days. Local drug store had their teen packs on sale for $10 the other day. It's all brand name hair stuff and lip balm and razors etc. I'll throw some of it in the toiletry closet but the things like the dry shampoo and lip balm and hair tyes can go in dd's stocking.
That's it for now, but I intend to get a little bit every week from now until December.

Last edited:
We have a couple of Christmas traditions that I buy for. We have a Lego Christmas village that we put together every year. It's my kids' favorite tradition. Last year I bought last year's and this year's new editions to the village together on sale from the Lego website. Because I bought them together I also got a free Lego Christmas set. On Christmas Eve the kids each get a new Christmas book and new pjs. I've already bought the new books. I've also bought a Christmas puzzle (we like to do new Christmas puzzles at Christmas time), a programmable robot (uses a programming language DS9 knows) on clearance at BN for DS5 and a few stocking stuffers.

I LOVE this village idea, I didn't realize they had Christmas Legos, my kids would love that. I am going to start this tradition! I was going to start a regular Christmas Village, but that sounds so fun! Thanks for the inspiration!

I have a bunch of left over canning jars that I over bought last year,
I am looking for idea to make for a few close friends,,I found this online
e7eb4f50ce7fe5355e28aa0c4141c602.jpg

I think I'll try something similar.
Hugs Mel

If you're at all crafty, you could make the bath bombs. I've seen recipes on Pinterest. You would just need some sort of silicone mold--any shape, doesn't have to be round. Those look super cute, and could be done very inexpensively.

MomtoOne--don't be ashamed of being an organized, advanced planner! I'm not as "together" as you are, but I prefer early shopping, too. For one thing, Christmas with 4 kids is tricky, no matter how you slice it. I also do costumes/wardrobe for our annual Nutcracker, so I'm sewing madly, then putting in many hours backstage for that. Throw in the odd school play, strings concert, extra rehearsals, care packages for far-away relatives, cookie baking, decorating--yeah, as much shopping as I can get out of the way, I do!

I have a bunch of left over canning jars that I over bought last year,
I am looking for idea to make for a few close friends,,I found this online
e7eb4f50ce7fe5355e28aa0c4141c602.jpg

I think I'll try something similar.
Hugs Mel

I used mason jars a couple of times: filled with candy for the office girls I worked with and I decorated them so they could be used year around, last year I had some large ones that my grandmother wanted to get rid of, so she told me to take them, so I filled them, with sprinkles, cupcake liners, decorative picks, food color, and a mini whisk, and mini spatula that I found at the dollar stores.

I LOVE this village idea, I didn't realize they had Christmas Legos, my kids would love that. I am going to start this tradition! I was going to start a regular Christmas Village, but that sounds so fun! Thanks for the inspiration!

The Lego sets are expensive which is why I hunt for sales. They'll usually have them on sale on the Lego website before or on Black Friday. The kids build things such as villagers and Christmas trees from their own Legos to add to the village. It's constantly changing throughout the Christmas holidays.

Am I the only one here that actually enjoys shopping at Christmas time? I know it's hectic, you can never find a parking spot, the malls are packed. But something about shopping at Christmas time really puts me in the Christmas spirit! I really love decorating for Christmas so I like seeing the mall decorations.

That being said, I have no idea what I'll do for gifts this year. DH and I got married last year so for Christmas I had a lot of our wedding photos printed and framed and gave those to family. I guess I'll actually have to think of gifts this year! In the past I have done things like get a Groupon for a massage for my mom. Cheap(er) and it's an experience I know she'll enjoy.

For the first time ever.....YES! Have made tons of Shutterfly books this summer using discounts, watched Amazons deals regularly, shopped the sales at my favorite Department Sales and used my credit card and VIP card to save as much as possible. I hit a huge sale at Toys are Us and I regularly checked the clearance at Cracker Barrel. All extended family females are done and about half the males. DS 10 has some things and the three adults at my house are agreeing to put all Christmas money toward our spring WDW trip so I have most of my shopping done!!!

Okay, you all talked me into more - Nintendo Selects are coming out Aug 26 and Amazon Prime members get an additional 20% off if they pre-order. $16/each plus a $1 free digital credit was a price I couldn't refuse for formally $40 and $60 5-star games I know my kids will love (so I picked up one per video-game-playing kid)...I now actually have at least 1 gift per kid now:)...

I have a few things - my DD wanted the American Girl gymnastics set and outfits and last week they had a special on those so I got that ordered. My son also wants SKylanders Superchargers which I found extremely marked down thanks to Amazon (19.99 for the starter set!) and with ordering that I also found a couple American Girl books that come with kits to make things for the dolls for about $2.50 each! (in the catalog for $23!) so I'm hoping when they get here Monday they are legit although knock on wood - I've had luck in the past with discounts from Amazon.

I have started! I bought myself some small gold earrings during amazon prime day. I also got my 2DS(20 and soon to be 18) earbuds and a little lens to add to their phone, makes it like a microscope. These are just little stocking stuffers. I also got DH one of the rollers that blk out your personal info on mail,labels...and a little micro trimmer -again for the stockings.

I am still trying to figure out DS17 birthday at begining of Sept. So the big gift for him will have to wait until that is squared away.

My DH thinks I am crazy for planning out this early but i usually do. It makes it easier to pay for, I get things wrapped and done earlier, and that leaves more time to bake, decorate and enjoy December. Plus we always do a WDW trip in Dec, this year it will be the week after Thanksgiving, at WDW and Sea world for the week. I want everything but the real tree and the family photo for the Christmas cards done.

I love these threads because they always give me good ideas!

Am I the only one here that actually enjoys shopping at Christmas time? I know it's hectic, you can never find a parking spot, the malls are packed. But something about shopping at Christmas time really puts me in the Christmas spirit! I really love decorating for Christmas so I like seeing the mall decorations.

You are not alone, I LOVE being in the mall before Christmas and shopping, however since having kids and being a stay at home mom, I am never in the mall much and if I am, I am never alone. So I pretty much shop online, this way they don't see what I am buying and I don't need to bring a 3 and 5 year old around from store to store, stressing about what they are touching. I do dream of the day I can once again wander the mall and shop, especially around holiday season.

The Lego sets are expensive which is why I hunt for sales. They'll usually have them on sale on the Lego website before or on Black Friday. The kids build things such as villagers and Christmas trees from their own Legos to add to the village. It's constantly changing throughout the Christmas holidays.

I just love this idea, my son will flip! Thanks for the sale tip, I will be on the lookout.

I have been shopping as best I can. I feel like new video games come out near Xmas, so I tend to wait on my sons. I make a list of 5 things for my kids and keep a list in my phone so I can check it off. I like to shop early so I avoid charging. My daughter is almost done because of clearance/zulily deals. I purchased a tub full of American Girl doll clothes off a coworker for $40. They are in such good condition, I am going to buy a pretty tote/trunk and gift those.

I wanted to check in again. I just finished all of the family gifts on shutterfly. They're running a huge sale today and tomorrow, lots of things under $5 and under $10. I managed to get 8 people's gifts taken care of for just under $60. Between this and my previous shopping I'm about 85% done. :cheer2:

I'm a procrastinator... I shop full on from Nov 1st til Christmas Eve. However we did buy tickets for us, our DD and DGD to disney on ice in January. Right on the Ice, and granddaughter will be 19 mths old... excited!!

For once yes I have. I found Play-Doh Star Wars figures for $2 at Target. Bought the last 3 for the boys. Need to start saving so I can buy tickets for my parents to see a show at the Sacramento Community center. The boys keep changing their minds about what they "must have". My guess is as long as it is Super Mario, they will be happy.

OP here,

Lots of great ideas and tips. Looks like some people are off to a great start. DH and I were at DS last week for date night and popped into the world of Disney, I picked up a star wars storm trooper shirt for my DGS ( 18 months who wears 2T already), and some coffee mugs for my cousin and his wife. They will be getting these very early, as we are celebrating the holidays with them in a few weeks. They live in NC and own their own business so time off doesn't happen much for them. So they asked if we wanted to have Christmas early with them. No tree or anything, just a few gifts and a special dinner.

I will be hitting up the Disney store online later, 20 off 100 + free shipping. Most of this will be for my grandson.

Trying to figure out something for my Dad... The hardest person to shop for...

FYI - for Lego Dimensions (and Lego lovers, since you build every set - this is another one of my joint use presents:) - Target is having 40% (and sometimes more) off all their Lego Dimensions stuff. I got the Ghostbusters Level Pack, the Slimer Fun Pack, and the Dr Who Fun Pack for slightly under $25 before tax (and I don't have a Target card). You may be able to find some deals that will be hard to replicate later (there was an even cheaper fun pack, but it was sold out in my area)...

Started last February. Got two DD's a pair of Uggs boots (they still love those things :confused3) on clearance for 50.00 each. No way I'm going to find those at that price again before Christmas!

Haven't done much since and feel behind. I like to be done in October but it has gotten more difficult the older the kids get....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter