An AP Virgin Eats the World - 10/21-10/31 with PICS! ***Completed on 1/31***

Oooh that Lamington looks yumma and the Welsh Dragon sounds like a must try :)

Sounds like you had a great time! I can see now that I have missed alot in the food wine festival!
How far ahead of time did you get tickets for the demo's? Was there a cost for them? I don't remember ever seeing a list of the goings on for F&WF is it posted somewhere on the Disney site ahead of time, I would sure like to see it to help with our planning, if you have any info from 09 can you post it to give me an idea of what was offered?
Thanks so much for the review and all the great info!

Bev

Just found your reviews today....great job!
These make me so hungry and wishing I was there!! ;)

F & W looks like fun! Maybe in the near future!

Great job...waiting to hear more!

Oh my goodness. Everything that you tried at F&W looks incredible. Too bad the sushi was disappointing. I hate that when it's not what you're expecting. The Welsh Dragon looks so refreshing, especially on a hot day. How much was it for that little tub of ice cream?

Oooh that Lamington looks yumma and the Welsh Dragon sounds like a must try :)
Definitely get a Welsh Dragon - this will be a staple for me!

Mmmm that lamington looks good! (Fun name to say, too haha)
Haha

Sounds like you had a great time! I can see now that I have missed alot in the food wine festival!
How far ahead of time did you get tickets for the demo's? Was there a cost for them? I don't remember ever seeing a list of the goings on for F&WF is it posted somewhere on the Disney site ahead of time, I would sure like to see it to help with our planning, if you have any info from 09 can you post it to give me an idea of what was offered?
Thanks so much for the review and all the great info!
Bev
I got the demo tickets maybe a month in advance? They were $8, $5 if you have an AP or TiW which I have now but didn't at the time. The list is out there, I think they posted it in August sometime - you can find it on AllEars.

Just found your reviews today....great job!
These make me so hungry and wishing I was there!! ;)

F & W looks like fun! Maybe in the near future!

Great job...waiting to hear more!
Thanks!

Great Reviews!!!!:thumbsup2
Thanks!

Oh my goodness. Everything that you tried at F&W looks incredible. Too bad the sushi was disappointing. I hate that when it's not what you're expecting. The Welsh Dragon looks so refreshing, especially on a hot day. How much was it for that little tub of ice cream?
It was $3.25 for the ice cream. Let's try to forget that I can get a half gallon for about $.75 more than that in the grocery store!!

I decided to forgo real breakfast this, my last morning, in favor of more F&W sampling.

I started on the Canada side this time around - first stop, Cork, Ireland

0910311022.jpg

Chocolate Lava Cake with Bailey's Ganache. This had a really sharp Bailey's taste to it and wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.

Next stop was Bologna, Italy

0910311023.jpg

This pizza was the biggest disappointment of the whole festival. It made me want to go home and have Papa Gino's right that minute. The sauce had a weird taste to it and the cheese was like plastic. And let's not forget that giant piece of ham(?) on top.

I needed something to take the taste of nasty out of my mouth so I headed to Shanghai, China

0910311024.jpg

I went with something I knew I would like - Caramel Ginger Ice Cream. I'd had this last year from the Lotus Blossom Cafe so I knew that I would like it. There are big chunks of ginger throughout - delicious. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it's a pretty big serving size.

I finished my ice cream while I walked to the F&W Welcome Center for my next demo.

Will defo try that when we go.

Oh that chocolate cake looks gorgeous, wish I had one now :)

Today was the second demo that Andrew Zimmern gave. I signed up for both in hopes that he would be cooking something different, but really because I wanted to see him. I had gone to get my wrist band for the book signing first thing that morning, I was the very first wrist band recipient that day :thumbsup2 I was glad to find out that you don't need to buy your book at WDW to get the wrist band, you only need to ask for one before they run out. There is a very limited number - maybe only 40? - that are given out for the signings.

Around 12:15, I went to the Welcome Center and got in line for the demo. There weren't too many people so I was up near the front. I talked with the people in front of me for a while and they gave me some chocolate to tide me over - it was Halloween after all. At about 12:45, the line was as long as it was when I had arrived the day before - quite a difference. I don't know if it was because it was Halloween, or because he was making the same dish, but there just weren't as many people.

I'm not going to go into incredible detail on this review since it was pretty much the same as the last one. I will share lots of pictures though!

Lucas Meeker was there to present the wine - his parents own Meeker Vineyards and he has his own winery now - Lucas J

0910311026.jpg

He brought FroZin which was again picked because it's a sweet wine that would pair well with spicy food

0910311025.jpg

Pam introduced Andrew and he came out - this time with no beard. I was glad that my pictures would look different from the previous demo :rotfl:

0910310234.jpg

0910311027.jpg

He told many of the same stories and even answered the same questions from the audience

0910311029.jpg

0910311032.jpg

0910311036.jpg

0910311039.jpg

The food came with a very slightly different presentation from the day before, but it was just as good. Spicy but not overwhelmingly so and the flavors really did blend together quite well.

0910311033.jpg

The day before we had been given a fork and knife and many people tried to be polite as they were eating and cut the quail while eating it. This day we were only given a fork for the rice and we picked up the quail with our hands as I believe was intended. I got more meat off my little quail bones this time!

Andrew finished up and was "rushed" off to the book signing as Pam put it. I didn't linger as I wanted to get a good spot in line. I was maybe 10 people back, much better than my Robert Irvine spot, that's for sure. Andrew's signing was so much more business like than Robert's. A woman came through and asked if we would like a postcard or a picture - you couldn't have both. I chose the picture which was really just a photocopied photo, not on actual photo paper or anything. Then she wrote your name on a post it and stuck it to the photo.

When I got up to meet Andrew, he didn't make conversation like Robert did - but I tried to engage him anyway. I asked him what his comfort food was, a question that I hadn't heard asked at either demo. He told me that it was his wife's Tater Tot Hot Dish. I found that pretty funny - I just can't picture Andrew Zimmern drooling over Tater Tots.

0910311042.jpg

He signed my photo very business like with just his name and then posed for the obligatory picture.

0910311043.jpg

I wasn't as impressed with him. Robert Irvine wins the award for my favorite demo of this year's festival.

Hi! :wave2:

I'm somewhat of a latecomer to your thread but I've read your most recent reviews and I'm impressed! Off to page 1 I go...

Too bad Andrew was less than spectacular. I know it's tough meeting and greeting so many people, but come on. These people look up to you and admire your work! At least give something back to your fans. Sorry, rant over.

The pizza looks good. Too bad it was underwhelming. Those Italians are known for their pizza. I'll never forget the pizza I had when I was in Naples, Italy. It was that day I realized that eating pizza at home would never be the same.

I spoke to my sister about that day she served you. She remembered you but felt bad you had to sit at that table. You didn't say very much either during the dinner. I guess that's why she was overly happy; to make sure everything was enjoyable. :goodvibes

Next stop was Bologna, Italy

0910311023.jpg

This pizza was the biggest disappointment of the whole festival. It made me want to go home and have Papa Gino's right that minute. The sauce had a weird taste to it and the cheese was like plastic. And let's not forget that giant piece of ham(?) on top.

Oh my, Papa Gino's....I grew up on that place and the first thing I do when I land at Logan is tell my mom to take me straight to PG for a cheese pizza...nothing better than that!

Its a shame he wasn't as interactive with you, but at least he answered your question and was polite. But I know that that pales in comparison to Robert ;)

Love your review.

The pizza was pretty good. I know that Disney pizza gets a bad rap, but I liked it. I don't have the most discerning pizza palate however, so take my review for what you will. It didn't have an over abundance of sauce which probably pushed it up a few rungs in my book...I've never been a big fan of saucy pizzas.

I agree about Pizzafari pizza. It wasn't too saucy, but it had plenty cheese and most importantly, the cheese was EVENLY spread and it wasn't over cooked and dry on the edges so it looked good too!

Hi! :wave2:

I'm somewhat of a latecomer to your thread but I've read your most recent reviews and I'm impressed! Off to page 1 I go...
Thanks - hope you enjoyed them!

I spoke to my sister about that day she served you. She remembered you but felt bad you had to sit at that table. You didn't say very much either during the dinner. I guess that's why she was overly happy; to make sure everything was enjoyable. :goodvibes
Well I was by myself, who was I supposed to be talking to? :rotfl: But really, I'm just a quiet person, especially around people I don't know. I just like to sit back and take it all in.

Oh my, Papa Gino's....I grew up on that place and the first thing I do when I land at Logan is tell my mom to take me straight to PG for a cheese pizza...nothing better than that!
Woohoo! Another PG lover. The closest one to me is too far, but I often go out of my way to get some.

Its a shame he wasn't as interactive with you, but at least he answered your question and was polite. But I know that that pales in comparison to Robert ;)
He really was fine, but compared to Robert who went above and beyond for everyone, it was a let down.

Love your review.
Thanks!

Well, here it is - my last meal in the World :sad1:

After my Andrew Zimmern demo, I rode some things and decided to take one last trip around World Showcase before I had to leave.

I started with one of my favorites - Rice Cream from Kringla Bakery og Cafe in Norway.

0910311044.jpg

I am a sucker for fake strawberries and rice pudding. I know it's not most people's thing, but I love it. I can't believe I waited until the last day to get one, that won't happen again. My only complaint is that it was not big enough!

I had to stop at the China F&W booth for another thing that I kept meaning to get but hadn't yet - Pot Stickers.

0910311045.jpg

They were big and hot, but not too hot. For my whole life I never knew what Pot Stickers really were until I went to Disney. The Chinese places around here call them Steamed Dumplings. I thought they were this mysterious food when it turns out I have been eating them for years!

Last but not least I decided I needed a good snack for a hot day and something that would leave a pleasant Disney taste in my mouth for the trip home.

Kaki Gori!

0910311048.jpg

This will forever be my old standby and I'm glad for the change to serving it in a cup rather than that paper cone they used to use. Much easier to eat and the drips don't get all over you.

So that is it for my first trip to F&W and my first trip as a TiW card holder. I'll be returning the first week of May to experience Flower and Garden for the first time and will be doing more eating!

Right now I have ADR's at The Wave, Le Chefs De France and Sanaa and you can definitely expect another set of reviews.

Thanks to everyone for reading along!

thanks for sharing with us and I have truely enjoyed reading your food report. We are going the second week of May and we have The Wave and Chefs de France too booked. I have made ADR's and changed things around for the past 3 weeks. so many places to eat so little time...7 days of eating but I want to try new restaurants and still be able to go to our favorites.:rotfl:

It's funny but I'm actually used to the reverse when it comes to those pot stickers. I'm used to everyone calling them dumplings where I live. There's a lot of Asian people in my area. Definitely a melting pot. When people on the DIS were talking about pot stickers, I had no idea what they meant. Until I finally saw the term with a picture. Then it all made sense ;) I guess it all depends where you're coming from.

Loved your all your dining reviews (especially with Le Cellier and my sister being you're server) I hope you have a great trip in May and can't wait to read more of your reviews from that trip. Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter