An AP Virgin Eats the World - 10/21-10/31 with PICS! ***Completed on 1/31***

Aww wow thats so nice that you got such great service :) Its sounds like they really helped make the meal special for you :)
:)

That salad from Jiko was the highlight of our meal there last month...it was excellent!
Wasn't it? I'm still thinking about it...

I like Disney pizza, too! I love the lack of sauce and the fact that the crust is always crisp!
Again, not a big Jiko lover, but I would love me some ostrich right now. Awesome that you got so much free food!
Too much free food :lmao:

One of these days I'm going to have to try Jiko. I've heard so many good things about it, and it all looks so delicious!
You definitely have to try it...it's awesome

I only had a mini muffin and a croissant from my pastry basket for breakfast so by about 10:00 I was pretty hungry. I was in the Land so naturally I went to Sunshine Seasons. I didn't look around at many of the options because it took me about 3 seconds to decide what I wanted...a cheese danish! I also got an OJ and took a seat.

0910290891.jpg

The danish was so fresh, it was delicious. The cheese filling was perfect! I don't really like the bottled OJ that WDW offers, but it'll do in a pinch!

I had a late lunch at Le Cellier on this day. I headed to Canada and checked in with the CM at the top of the path to the restaurant. This seemed to be a much smoother process then waiting in any kind of line at the "official" check-in desk. It took her about 15 seconds to find me and then she sent me to the main entrance to wait. Less than 5 minutes later, my name was called and I was seated.

I'm not very picky about where I get seated, but I probably had one of the worst seats in the place! They put me at the very first table at the entrance of the dining room. If I had sat with my back to the dining room I would have seen a continuous stream of people walking into the place. Instead, I sat facing the dining room and got to watch everybody else eat and all the waiters come out of the kitchen - not so bad since I was alone, but if I were with someone it would have been a less than ideal table.

My server, Ali, was TOTALLY over the top. She was just way too happy for her own good. She was a nice girl though and I really enjoyed her, but probably would have enjoyed her more if she took it down from 11 to 10!

Le Cellier is a pretty loud restaurant and I don't hear well so I did my best to try and catch what she was saying and I figured out that she was trying to take my drink order, recommending a certain martini - the Pink Bikini Martini! When I ordered it she was very surprised as it seems that men order it almost exclusively when she recommends it. It was basically a cosmo type of martini but made with pink lemonade instead of cranberry. Right up my alley!

***An explanation about the photos - the restaurant was dark and there were many many people so I refrained from using the flash***

0910290920.jpg

The bread came quickly and Ali explained what each one represented and I have now totally forgotten! I started with the pretzel bread but it was pretty dark and had way too much salt on it (I'm not a fan of salt). I think I ended up mostly eating the multigrain.

0910290919.jpg

I started with the Cheddar Cheese soup - I had been looking forward to this since my last trip to Le Cellier in 2007! It was as good as I remembered, but a little spicier than I remembered - but not in a bad way.

0910290921.jpg

While I waited for my entree to come, I watched a special show that I was sure was being put on for my benefit. A woman and her husband were having their anniversary lunch and this woman must have sent back her steak (I think the NY Strip) about 5 times. Not even exaggerating. Each time it wasn't cooked enough. She was very apologetic, but I just couldn't help thinking that you shouldn't be coming to a steakhouse if you are just there to eat a burnt piece of meat. She would have enjoyed the steak served at 'Ohana the night I ate there! Eventually the manager came over to talk with them and the woman went on and on about how they come to Disney all the time and how she was not sure about eating here but thought it would be okay, etc. The manager went way above and beyond and comped her steak as well as giving them a free dessert and champagne for their anniversary. I was kind of irritated by that - it wasn't anything the kitchen did, this woman was just beyond picky and never should have ordered a steak in the first place!!

Anyway....on to my entree. I wanted Filet, but I asked if I could have it with creamed spinach instead of the risotto. My server said there would be an upcharge and the creamed spinach would come separately, was that ok? I said it was and then she asked if I still wanted the risotto with my steak. I passed since I thought it would be too much starch but I assumed that I'd still get the mushrooms and sauce, just no risotto.

Well - I got my entree and I was wrong!!! My steak was totally plain. I figured that they thought I was ordering it without the mushrooms like so many do, but I just really wanted creamed spinach rather than risotto. No big deal though. The steak was a perfectly cooked medium rare and the creamed spinach came in a huge skillet on the side. It was covered in delicious cheese. I ended up scooping a good portion of it over to my steak plate and made my own dish which was delicious.

0910290922.jpg

0910290923.jpg

The creamed spinach really pushed me over the edge...it was so good but it was too rich and I could not even come close to finishing it.

I did manage to save some room for dessert though :thumbsup2

Ali came by and took my order and I told her that I would cap off my predictable Le Cellier meal (cheese soup and filet) with the appropriate dessert - Maple Creme Brulee. Now, I really don't know why I ordered this. I guess I wanted to give creme brulee another chance and I love maple, but ack. I really didn't enjoy it. The taste was fine, but it was nothing special at all.

0910290924.jpg

Le Cellier will always be on my list of repeat restaurants but I do have a couple lessons learned:
If you are making a side substitute, make sure you ask to still have the sauce that comes with the entree and no more creme brulee!!!!!!!

Just joining in and enjoying your reviews. My husband and I loved Jiko on our last trip...in fact my husband wanted to eat there on our last night but my son was feeling tired so when he went to sleep we order room service from Jiko and it was yummy. We had our desserts in our balcony watching the giraffs and zebras. I love those Zebra domes too (especially my evening snacks). My son has been asking to go to Disney but I want to try on a budget so we might go and stay at Pop (how was that), I never stayed at a value but I keep thinking I need a deluxe b/c of the room service but then I go back and forth of going on a budget.

Mmmm that filet looks good! Sometimes I have to wonder if LeCellier really deserves its hype (We've never been), but that spinach and steak looked amazing!

Just joining in and enjoying your reviews. My husband and I loved Jiko on our last trip...in fact my husband wanted to eat there on our last night but my son was feeling tired so when he went to sleep we order room service from Jiko and it was yummy. We had our desserts in our balcony watching the giraffs and zebras. I love those Zebra domes too (especially my evening snacks). My son has been asking to go to Disney but I want to try on a budget so we might go and stay at Pop (how was that), I never stayed at a value but I keep thinking I need a deluxe b/c of the room service but then I go back and forth of going on a budget.
Pop was okay, but to be honest, I probably wouldn't stay there again. I just booked again for May and I'll be staying at POFQ. Still no room service, but it's close to DTD and will be better than Pop as far as comfort of beds, etc.

Mmmm that filet looks good! Sometimes I have to wonder if LeCellier really deserves its hype (We've never been), but that spinach and steak looked amazing!
I don't think it deserves the hype it gets, but I do enjoy it. The spinach was awesome though, a must have in my opinion!

Great reviews!
Thanks!

I wasn't feeling great this day, so I had gone back to AKL to take a nap. When I woke up it was pretty late, so I just went down to Mara for dinner.

There isn't a huge selection here, but it's decent. I ended up having a Bacon Double Cheeseburger w/ fries. The burger came quickly and was still hot by the time I got back to my room - always a good thing. I'm not a huge burger fan, but I liked this. And the bacon was pretty good too.

0910290948.jpg

I also had Apples w/ Caramel Dip. For some reason I became completely obsessed with this snack at this point in my trip. Who knew something as simple as Apples and Caramel could make me so happy!?

0910290949.jpg

I drive a lot for work, and one of my favorite drive-through foods are the McDonalds Apple Dippers :) They're cheap and a much better snack than fries! ...Though they're a little messier if I try to dip & drive...

I love those apples with caramel, too! They make a great snack at the pool! :thumbsup2

I drive a lot for work, and one of my favorite drive-through foods are the McDonalds Apple Dippers :) They're cheap and a much better snack than fries! ...Though they're a little messier if I try to dip & drive...
Oooh...I'll have to try those!

I love those apples with caramel, too! They make a great snack at the pool! :thumbsup2
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves them!

I have never eaten at the Main Street Bakery before so I decided that today would be the day. I got there just a few minutes after rope drop and I was surprised at the line! I waited maybe 8 minutes to get my chance to order. I exactly the same thing I had from Sunshine Seasons the day before - a cheese danish and an OJ. I know, boring! But I love me some cheese danish.

0910300951.jpg

This one had a much wider area of filling than the Sunshine Seasons danish had - a definite plus, but it wasn't as creamy. It was almost like they have a set amount of filling to use and the guy making the danishes can choose to use that filling any way he wants. The Main St. Bakery guy likes his spread out more I guess!

For lunch, I went to Casey's Corner. I was going to get the corn dog nuggets but decided to stick with just a regular hot dog and some fries instead. There was no seating so I ended up sharing a table with a British woman who was sitting alone at a table next to the rest of her family. It was not easy to find a seat anywhere on this day.

I didn't get a photo, but here's one from last year. My food (and even my drink cup) looked remarkably similar.

2b9b5b6b.jpg

YOU GOT MY SISTER FOR YOUR SERVER AT LE CELLIER!!!!! FINALLY I HAVE FOUND SOMEONE ON THE DIS!!!!! :yay: You're right about her being a little hyper. She's like that though. Always happy... maybe a little too much sometimes. But hey, she's just trying to make you smile :goodvibes Okay, I'll go back and read the rest.... :laughing:

EDIT: Just be glad you didn't order the Chocolate "Moose". Then you really would've seen how "over-the-top" Ali (her full name is actually Alison) can be :rolleyes1 I think she told me about that day with the lady sending back her steak so many times. I hate people like that. You know when a person isn't a real steak eater when they're THAT picky....

YOU GOT MY SISTER FOR YOUR SERVER AT LE CELLIER!!!!! FINALLY I HAVE FOUND SOMEONE ON THE DIS!!!!! :yay: You're right about her being a little hyper. She's like that though. Always happy... maybe a little too much sometimes. But hey, she's just trying to make you smile :goodvibes Okay, I'll go back and read the rest.... :laughing:

EDIT: Just be glad you didn't order the Chocolate "Moose". Then you really would've seen how "over-the-top" Ali (her full name is actually Alison) can be :rolleyes1 I think she told me about that day with the lady sending back her steak so many times. I hate people like that. You know when a person isn't a real steak eater when they're THAT picky....

OMG...I was reading your trip report and was like, hey that girl looks really familiar!! Hahah...she was a really good server. I felt bad that she had to deal with steak lady, but I did enjoy her (and think I gave her a good tip if I remember correctly :))

I broke my own Demo rule on this day and didn't even get to the Festival Welcome center until 15 minutes before it started! For a big star like Andrew Zimmern, I knew this would be a problem. And it was...I was really far back in line, ugh! I didn't think there was a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks that I'd get a good seat. But, that's where being solo comes as an advantage - I got a table right up front!! There was one open seat and the front and center table and it was all mine!

Pam Smith came out and introduced the Wine lady whose name I cannot remember, but she was pretty outgoing.

0910300971.jpg

She had a Rosa Regale paired with Andrew's dish which as a non-wine drinker surprised me. She went on to explain that when you have a spicy dish, a sweet wine can go really well with it. I liked the taste of Rosa Regale that I had, but I think I'm just not quite a wine drinker yet.

0910300970.jpg

Once we were done with all the wine nonsense, Pam introduced Andrew. He came out, sans Sous chef, and was ready to cook. He didn't sit and talk and tell stories like the other chefs did, instead he got right to cooking and talked as he did that.

0910300983.jpg

0910300974.jpg

0910300968.jpg

0910300969.jpg

He did a really good job of explaining everything that he was doing. He wasn't using too many ingredients that were uncommon, but the ones that he did - like lemon grass - he made sure to explain how to prepare it.

Andrew made a Sweet and Sour Bangkok Style Quail with Red Chiles. I'd never had quail before, so I was looking forward to trying it. One thing I really took away from the demo was that the sauce for the quail was something that could be used with all kinds of proteins. I'd like to try it with shrimp sometime, not that I ever cook at home!

0910300976.jpg

0910300978.jpg

0910300979.jpg

0910300985.jpg

About 30 minutes into the demo we were served the Quail dish.

0910300981.jpg

Wow! It was so good. Spicy, but not overly hot and the Quail was really well cooked and crisp on the outside. It also came with a clump of white rice which just so happens to be on my list of favorite foods :thumbsup2

I pretty much inhaled it, and tried to have some with the wine, but man, I really like it. I usually avoid spice because it gives me heartburn, but I think this was done really well and I didn't have that issue.

Andrew took some questions from the audience, typical things that you would expect him to be asked - what was the worst thing you ever ate, is there anything you wouldn't eat, etc. He was a good sport about answering since I'm sure he gets these types of questions all the time.

He was doing a book signing afterwards, but I decided that I would get my book signing needs taken care of the next day.

All in all it was very enjoyable, and the food wasn't as weird as I thought it would be!

Great update with Zimmern! And what a generous serving you received! Two thumbs up for him!! :thumbsup2

It was getting to be dinnerish time when my Andrew Zimmern demo finished up so I decided to take a walk around World Showcase and do some F&W eating.

I started on the Mexico side with Rio de Janiero, Brazil.

0910300986.jpg

This is the Leblon Frozen Caipirinha. I don't know what kind of alcohol is in a Caipirinha, but I did like it. You could really taste the alcohol, but it wasn't overpowering.

My next stop was Melbourne, Australia.

0910300987.jpg

I got the Lamington, which despite the name has no lamb. It's actually a pound cake covered in chocolate and coconut. It was not as sweet as I was expecting it to be. It was very good though. I'm a big fan of coconut so this was right up my alley.

I couldn't pass by the Hops & Barley booth without taking a stop to get my favorite food item

0910300988.jpg

I still have a longing for this crab cake, it was so good. I wish I could recreate it at home.

On my trip in September 2008 I had dinner at Teppan Edo and ordered a Sukiyaki Beef Roll which was cooked right on the hibachi and served hot. When I saw that the Tokyo, Japan booth had this as an offering, I knew I had to get one.

0910300992.jpg

It wasn't the same. This was served cold and doesn't even look as seared as the one I had from Teppan Edo. It was good, but I was disappointed that it wasn't what I was expecting.

I was pretty full, but when I got to the UK, I knew I needed to make a special stop. I went into the Rose & Crown pub, made my way up to the bar and ordered a Welsh Dragon.

0910300994.jpg

Yum! This was so good. I had numerous people stopping me to ask what I was drinking and how it was. I think I sold a couple people on the Welsh Dragon on this day. I usually drink Vodka and pineapple juice, so this was perfect for me. I'll be getting this drink again on my next trip.

Last but not least, Edy's Flavorhood was calling my name. They didn't have a great selection of flavors - just Chocolate, Vanilla and Mint Chocolate Chip, but I made do.

0910300996.jpg

This was the perfect sized ice cream for a hot day. It was enough to cool me down, but not so big that it melted before I got to the bottom of the carton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter