• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Abandoned Attractions

MK-FLLibSq-S-All_092409.gif

RC-5N-Sat.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,WS - North
RC-1N-WS.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,WS - East
RC-2E-WS.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,CU - East
RC-3E-CU.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,CU - West
RC-4W-CU.jpg

Thanks! You really have all the maps. Did you do this all yourself?

One thing I'm not sure if they ever had at WDW but the do/maybe did at DL - The Davy Crockett Canoes? They, too, operated in Liberty Square.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned and I would think it would count as an attraction...River Country. It is sad to see the state it is currently in. There were a lot of great memories for a lot of people created there. :sad1:

Read the post above yours. :)

If they actually tore down River Country, we'd have to find something new to create rumors about possibly reopening, keeping the hopes of the die hards up...oh, I've got it...Pleasure Island!

River country is one thing they really should take down. You have to ride by it when going on the boats to the FW campground. Also the buildings on Discovery Island are very shabby. I know this is supposed to be considered a natural habitat but the building is really run down.

River Country
rivercountry6.png

rivercountry5.png

rivercountry4.png

rivercountry2.png

Discovery Island
DiscoveryIsland.png

The old Pirate Ship
discoveryisland6.png

discoveryisland5.png

discoveryisland4.png

discoveryisland3.png

discoveryisland2.png

I apologize if some of these are big..

It's sad to see them in such a state. These are places I remember visiting when I was little. I hope some of them are refurbished soon..

I was reading another thread and it got me thinking about attractions that have been abandoned at Disney. These are attractions that are closed but still standing.

These are the ones I can think of.

Discovery Island
River Country
I would include Wonders of Life and the Odyssey Restaurant in this category as these are no longer being used for their intended purposes and would probably need a lot of work to get them back in shape for regular guest usage.

What other attractions are just being neglected and rotting away?

What aboutthe docks for Tom Fink's Keel Boats dock
Davy Crocket's Canoe's dock
Swan boats Dock.

Are any of the stations from the Fort Wilderness Railroad still standing?

ok I got one no one has thought of.....

The Wave machine outside the Poly Beach.

the unfinished pop buildings look awful! I never noticed this until now. What a waste! The club house looks like it is finished outside, too bad they just dont finish that and tear down the room part. I would make a entertaiment spot for guests at POP century. Keep the theming at 00-40. Miss the River Country used to go there when i was a kid!

No swimming is advised/allowed in Florida lake water.

Well, I don't know about THAT. ;) I certainly respect Disney not allowing it on their property, but there are a few other lakes here in Florida, and many of us swim in them....

Well, I don't know about THAT. ;) I certainly respect Disney not allowing it on their property, but there are a few other lakes here in Florida, and many of us swim in them....

Well, it IS advised that swimming in fresh water in Florida be avoided.

There is an amoeba (Naegleria fowleri) that thrives in the brackish shallow waters during the warmer seasons that have a small (very small, but non-zero) chance of entering the human body and eventually finding their way to the brain, where they induce amoebic encephalitis or meningitis, which is often fatal. Infections are pretty rare, but as I said, non-zero. But that is why it is advised to avoid fresh water areas and stick to pools in the summer.

If it is unavoidable, nose and ear plugs are highly recommended, and extra care not to injest the water should be taken.

Thanks Robo for posting such sad photos.

I want to say that I was on the undiscovered future world tour in Epcot and the guide took us up to the second floor of imagination. Most of the nail boards, and music games etc. are all sitting up there gathering dust. Its really sad to see. The guide said Disney found them outdated. I can tell you what they have now downstairs in imagination is worse than what they used to have. Its a beautiful area up there to use. :guilty: Even little signs saying Figments white room are still there.

I also agree with

Pop
River Country
Pleasure Island
Discovery Island
Skyway building

I really do miss Wonders of life. I know it is used a bit, but I miss the actually attractions and the DNA outside.

FYI I read an article in Southern Living Magazine about Orlando and you can actually still ride the swan boats that they used to have at the Magic Kingdom. They are at a lake in downtown Orlando. I believe it's called Lake Eola.

Those overhead photos of Discovery Island are fascinating. I had never seen them.

Robo's shots reminded me of Aunt Polly's. It too would be abandoned I guess.

FYI I read an article in Southern Living Magazine about Orlando and you can actually still ride the swan boats that they used to have at the Magic Kingdom. They are at a lake in downtown Orlando. I believe it's called Lake Eola.

Te swan boat photos I've seen of the MK boats and the Lake Eola boats are different.

MK powered Swan Boats:

psbcp1.jpg

Lake Eola 2 person Peddle Boat:

orland046wayhav005_attrlarge.jpg

Didn't WDW also have two person swan boats? I seem to remember those... It could have been at the Swan and Dolphin instead?

Well, it IS advised that swimming in fresh water in Florida be avoided.

There is an amoeba (Naegleria fowleri) that thrives in the brackish shallow waters during the warmer seasons that have a small (very small, but non-zero) chance of entering the human body and eventually finding their way to the brain, where they induce amoebic encephalitis or meningitis, which is often fatal. Infections are pretty rare, but as I said, non-zero. But that is why it is advised to avoid fresh water areas and stick to pools in the summer.

If it is unavoidable, nose and ear plugs are highly recommended, and extra care not to injest the water should be taken.

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about this as a kid. However, since I could almost count--using only my fingers and toes--the number of cases nationwide over a recent 10-year span, I'll take my chances. If my number's up, my number's up! :hourglass

I'll stop now so we can get back to topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter