• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Abandoned Attractions

Is it not used at all anymore then? I know it's been closed to the general public for a while now. (imagination upstairs)

Speaking of boats, I remember seeing a thread about the short-lived boat ride at AK?

The boats are used occasionally for characters. We were in a seating area by the water a Flame Tree BBQ and a boat pulled up with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, etc in safari gear. They would point at the people and look through binocualrs as if the people eating at the table were exhibits.

I have never looked for them but the loading dock for the boats are probably still there unused.

As for the Pop Century hotel, one has to wonder if this will ever be completed. These building have been open to the elements for about 8 years now.

SkywayFLBldg.jpg

While parking my stroller last month, i saw some imagineers looking over this building from the outside...I mentioned it whould make an excellent resturant, and they said that "was the idea"....:thumbsup2

Something about pinocchio...or the dinning hall from Beauty and the Beast...

As for the Pop Century hotel, one has to wonder if this will ever be completed. These building have been open to the elements for about 8 years now.

I shudder to think of how much $$$ Disney must have sunk into them.

Wonders of Life Pavilion gets alot of use during the Flower and Garden festival. It's well maintained on the inside.

It's sad to see the buildings at POP that were never finished. I wonder why they never finished them. I've got to think that it is kind of an eye sore now. Who wants to look at that on vacation... it's sad and depressing.

It's sad to see the buildings at POP that were never finished. I wonder why they never finished them. I've got to think that it is kind of an eye sore now. Who wants to look at that on vacation... it's sad and depressing.

They simply over built. When the econoy picks up again, trust me, they will finish them.

Suprising with all the money that Disney makes that they would just stop though.

Suprising with all the money that Disney makes that they would just stop though.

The popularity of their studios at the value resorts, made them rethink the design of those buildings...i think you will see some larger, multi room suites out there in the end.

But I think that sitting out there for 8 years that they will have to demo those buildings and start brand new.

1- They were in the first couple of phases of construction on those buildings.

2- Yup. All work stopped following the tragic "911" attacks.

3- That's the Wonders of Life, that has been previously mentioned.

Disney won't talk about why they stopped operating the Wonders of Life attractions.

WoL-bldg_Sml.jpg

Epcot-FW-GE-N_102109.jpg

During the food and wine festival the building was used. It housed wine tastings, book signings and was the official gift shop for the festival. I was kind of like the food and wine "command center." All of the original attractions were no longer there (or at least you could see them/get to them), it looked like a giant warehouse. Also the DNA strand that stood outside the building had been taken down, but you could still see where it had been anchored on the ground.

Circled in Yellow.

MK-SwanBoats-N.jpg

On the day we went to MNSSHP, this is where you went to pick up your bracelets for the party..

Speaking of boats, I remember seeing a thread about the short-lived boat ride at AK?

The boats are used occasionally for characters. We were in a seating area by the water a Flame Tree BBQ and a boat pulled up with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, etc in safari gear. They would point at the people and look through binocualrs as if the people eating at the table were exhibits.

I have never looked for them but the loading dock for the boats are probably still there unused.

Our family called it the "bridge tour." I was an extremely slow and boring boat ride on the river that goes around AK. It took forever and we began counting the bridges. :rolleyes1 It wasn't in operation very long before it was taken away.

The docks are mainly used for seating now. I know at least 2 of the docks are used for character greetings. One right before you enter Africa (Winnie the Pooh characters) and the other one was in Africa somewhere (it had characters from A Bug's Life, The Jungle Book, and Jiminy Cricket).

There also used to be the Keel boats. The landing looks like it's still there on the left as you go towards the entrance to the Haunted Mansion.

River country is one thing they really should take down. You have to ride by it when going on the boats to the FW campground. Also the buildings on Discovery Island are very shabby. I know this is supposed to be considered a natural habitat but the building is really run down.

The Diamond Horseshoe Revue hasn't had a show in many years, although not shabby looking wasted space. They do serve a TS meal at busy times. Also, Noodle station and el Pirata y el Perico are never open.

Also, Noodle station and el Pirata y el Perico are never open.

Actually, they are...just not all the time. I think both are expected to be open this coming week for the Thanksgiving crowd.

You aren't missing much by having the Noodle Station closed, though :)

If we're not talking "abandoned in place", then Lights Of Winter now qualifies - someone posted a picture of the trellises sitting in the weeds in a backstage area...

There also used to be the Keel boats. The landing looks like it's still there on the left as you go towards the entrance to the Haunted Mansion.

MK-FLLibSq-S-All_092409.gif

River country is one thing they really should take down. You have to ride by it when going on the boats to the FW campground.

RC-5N-Sat.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,WS - North
RC-1N-WS.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,WS - East
RC-2E-WS.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,CU - East
RC-3E-CU.jpg

River Country in Decay -Bird'sEye,CU - West
RC-4W-CU.jpg

I am not sure if it has been mentioned and I would think it would count as an attraction...River Country. It is sad to see the state it is currently in. There were a lot of great memories for a lot of people created there. :sad1:
________
Medical Marijuana States

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter