9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

Did you used to be on RADP with the same handle? I think I met you at the 1999 RADP meet if so. In any case, I'm also on this cruise as a solo and it's always nice to see others who are too. *waves hi* :)

Yup, that's me! Hi!

I can offer up a little Ponta Delgada excursion review. I did the "Best of West With Wine & Cheese". It was a nice scenic drive around the area with many photo stops. The tour ended at a hotel by the pier where they had a large reception area set out with basically unlimited wine and cheese for the tasting. You walk back to the pier from that stop, so it was as leisurely a tasting session as you wanted to make it. And of course you could purchase the wine and cheese to bring back on the ship.

I need to start thinking about excursions now!

So far I have sorted:
  • Bus to the airport (paid)
  • Flight from LHR to BCN (paid)
  • Hotel in Barcelona (not paid but booked)
  • Transfer to cruise (not paid but booked)
  • Cruise (paid in full)
  • Hotel in New York (and doing transfer through hotel I think) (paid for hotel)
  • Flight from JFK to LHR (paid)
  • Bus home from airport (paid)
I think in New York as only there 1 night I'm going to do the hop on hop on bus. I have ruled out a show now as think that the price of tickets for Aladdin is excessive for a show I'm not that bothered about seeing.

In the first two ports I'm doing the hoho buses pretty sure and then I just need to work out Ponta Delgada and St John.

Check out broadway.com or playbill.com for shows and discount tickets. There are a lot of great plays/musicals in NYC and there might be one you want to see.

Looks like you have gotten a lot done. I have:
  • Private transfer from airport to hotel in Barcelona (paid)
  • Flight from Newark to Barcelona (paid)
  • Hotel in Barcelona (not open for booking yet)
  • Excursion in Barcelona (booked but not paid)
  • Transfer to cruise from hotel (paid)
  • Cruise (not paid in full as yet)
  • Car rental in NYC (booked but not paid)
As for the excursion options, go to the website and click destinations and click on port adventures. When you pick the ports you are interested in, it will give you a summary of the port and under the port adventures one click "more". Almost all the ports have an the excursions listed. Granted, they may not be the same ones for our cruise, but it certainly will give you a good idea of options and costs.

Any idea why this cruise isn't showing up on the DCL website? I wanted to price it out before contacting our travel agent and it hasn't been there for (at least) the past couple days. It isn't sold out, is it?

I just did an advance search for that specific month and Transatlantic and got this message:

Please Chart a Different Course

We don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, but there are no available cruises that match your request. Explore other selections for Dates, Destinations, Departs or Ships and we'll help find the cruise that's right for you.

I am rather surprised that this is sold out already -- especially since the last time I checked the price for what I got had risen quite a bit. There will be cancellations before final payment in May I'm sure.

Oh, and (for the first time with DCL), we prepaid our tips. Now our onboard account credits are just for us LOL

I would love to be able to see some excursions that Disney is offering for our sailing, but I can't find where it will show them. I see what I thought were just more generic options, but an inability to actually reserve anything for our sailing. Too our sailing just isn't on the Disney site anymore - does everyone think this sailing is sold out? I have our hotel booked in Barcelona and our flight to Barcelona is booked. I just now need to get the transportation from NY to VA done when we come back.

I have to say not being able to reserve early seating ahead of time wouldn't have been a reason to cancel. They probably could easily change that later, and there are many who probably have first seating that haven't bothered to change their reservation to second seating. Personally we only do the 2nd seating, and most often cruises give us first seating and I eventually get around to changing it. I do see my reservation for this sailing has the 2nd listed. I even requested a particular server, which I hope works out. Though I am also going to message her on facebook and see if she can help make sure we get assigned to her.

Are we doing a FE - I didn't overly see one listed anywhere.

See page one -- we are doing a postcard exchange. As I stated earlier, if someone wants to start a FE, please feel free and I will link it to page one. I think the overall concensus is people didn't want to lug too much stuff on an overseas limited luggage flight.

Hi, I'm booked on this sailing as a solo! I don't think I mentioned that yet. :)

I have added you to page one. Let me know if you want to add any other details (first name, room number or location, etc.). Thanks.

Cruising solo too.

You wont be able to reserve anything til around May - June ish (I think Gold Castaway level is June 10th so not sure when Platinum is) but the tours showing at least for some of the ports will be those showing now as no other cruises are scheduled for those ports apart from the TA ones. There may however be others appear.

I agree its currently showing as sold out but probably wont be in May time when Paid in Full is due as usually people book but then drop out nearer the time. I have two friends that may cruise with me and this is what they have currently done.

Check out broadway.com or playbill.com for shows and discount tickets. There are a lot of great plays/musicals in NYC and there might be one you want to see.

As for the excursion options, go to the website and click destinations and click on port adventures. When you pick the ports you are interested in, it will give you a summary of the port and under the port adventures one click "more". Almost all the ports have an the excursions listed. Granted, they may not be the same ones for our cruise, but it certainly will give you a good idea of options and costs.

Thanks! I have looked but not a huge amount that I was interested in to be honest and the hotel I'm staying in has free wine and cheese in the evening so may just take my ipad and watch a movie instead lol. Although cirque de solei show looks interest

Last edited:
Thanks! I have looked but not a huge amount that I was interested in to be honest and the hotel I'm staying in has free wine and cheese in the evening so may just take my ipad and watch a movie instead lol. Although cirque de solei show looks interest

What hotel did you choose? Do you have any eateries selected? I can recommend a few.

And I just LOVE your dining history at WDW in your signature. What an accomplishment (so far).

Last edited:
Oh, and (for the first time with DCL), we prepaid our tips. Now our onboard account credits are just for us LOL

And bought all our Euros and Canadian dollars (at great market rates too).

Got denied a second time after asking them to revisit my vacation request. Too long a story, but a double-standard is at play and I am the one who is left out of the loop by being denied my right to take a vacation. So looks like my plan to retire next year will be moved up a year!

I'd love to hear those recommendations :)

Chevy's Tex Mex ~~ 42nd Street https://www.chevys.com/
St. Andrew's Pub ~~ 46th Street http://standrewsnyc.com/#home
Maggie's Place ~~ 47th Street http://www.maggiesnyc.com/
Brooklyn Diner ~~ 2 locations: 43rd Street and 57th Street (this is the better location because it is a real looking diner) http://www.brooklyndiner.com/
Ellens Stardust Diner ~~ 1650 Broadway http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/ This place is so fun because all the wait staff sings and dances and are very good.

If you are referring to Paramour, it is mostly a Broadway musical with a little Cirque du Soleil thrown in. We saw it last year during previews and were disappointed (even thought the storyline was weak). This is coming from someone who loves Broadway musicals and Cirque du Soleil, but separately.

We just booked our Barcelona and Montserrat full day tour on September 14th with Barcelona Day Tours. We are on the waitlist for Girona/Costa Brava semi-private tour on September 15th since they require a minimum amount of people for this one. We have not paid for the cruise in full yet (just got slammed with a HUGE car service bill), but we are set with airfare and hotel. I'm thinking we'll just grab a taxi from the airport to the hotel on the 13th and from the hotel to the port on the 16th, unless anyone here has a better suggestion.

I'm thinking we'll just grab a taxi from the airport to the hotel on the 13th and from the hotel to the port on the 16th, unless anyone here has a better suggestion.

I was wondering about that, too. We may book a transfer from the airport: ferrying 6 people and baggage to an obscure street in the Gothic Quarter at 9pm seems more challenging than I prefer. However, the trip from the Gothic Quarter to the port seems like a simple 2-taxi deal.

I was wondering about that, too. We may book a transfer from the airport: ferrying 6 people and baggage to an obscure street in the Gothic Quarter at 9pm seems more challenging than I prefer. However, the trip from the Gothic Quarter to the port seems like a simple 2-taxi deal.

We are only two adults so it won't be too bad for us. I'm not sure if the hotel can arrange for a taxi pickup on the 16th. When we were in Copenhagen prior to the Baltics cruise last year, our hotel placed a call for each party that needed a taxi. The driver would come into the lobby and call out your hotel room number, which made the whole process very organized.

If you are referring to Paramour, it is mostly a Broadway musical with a little Cirque du Soleil thrown in. We saw it last year during previews and were disappointed (even thought the storyline was weak). This is coming from someone who loves Broadway musicals and Cirque du Soleil, but separately.

We just booked our Barcelona and Montserrat full day tour on September 14th with Barcelona Day Tours. We are on the waitlist for Girona/Costa Brava semi-private tour on September 15th since they require a minimum amount of people for this one. We have not paid for the cruise in full yet (just got slammed with a HUGE car service bill), but we are set with airfare and hotel. I'm thinking we'll just grab a taxi from the airport to the hotel on the 13th and from the hotel to the port on the 16th, unless anyone here has a better suggestion.

We pre-booked our airport to hotel and hotel to port transfers with Barcelona Day Tours. You have to prepay for that service, but cheaper for three than Disney's prices, plus we are not staying at a Disney hotel anyway so they won't pick us up.

We booked the private chauffeur tour for Girona/Costa Brava on the 14th. You will love Montserrat -- we did it in 2007 and it was a beautiful place with so much history and great views.

We pre-booked our airport to hotel and hotel to port transfers with Barcelona Day Tours. You have to prepay for that service, but cheaper for three than Disney's prices, plus we are not staying at a Disney hotel anyway so they won't pick us up.

We booked the private chauffeur tour for Girona/Costa Brava on the 14th. You will love Montserrat -- we did it in 2007 and it was a beautiful place with so much history and great views.

That is interesting. When I asked about airport pickup, the response was that we could take a taxi. I didn't even get an answer on hotel to port. May I ask how much each way?

We decided not to go with the private Girona/Costa Brava tour. They offered us a small discount on a private tour if the semi-private tour did not fill. Trying to keep expenses to a minimum so we'll find things to do on our own if this does not pan out.

That is interesting. When I asked about airport pickup, the response was that we could take a taxi. I didn't even get an answer on hotel to port. May I ask how much each way?

We decided not to go with the private Girona/Costa Brava tour. They offered us a small discount on a private tour if the semi-private tour did not fill. Trying to keep expenses to a minimum so we'll find things to do on our own if this does not pan out.

Actually, for the three of us, the private tour with chauffeur only (no guide) was almost the same price as the semi-private one. We are treating ourselves for our anniversary and having done a couple of the private ones in London, got spoiled to the personal service.

I had a lot of email correspondence with them about their tours and the airport pick-up. I am sorry that they did not respond to your inquiries. They are picking us up at 10 a.m. on port day and will be there to meet us at the airport with signs when we arrive.

What hotel did you choose? Do you have any eateries selected? I can recommend a few.

And I just LOVE your dining history at WDW in your signature. What an accomplishment (so far).

I'm staying at the Casablanca which is near Time Square. As I'm travelling solo I wanted to be near things and it looked quite nice. Weirdly food wise I think I'm just going to do Buffalo Wild Wings. We don't have them in the UK and I'm little addicted to the Mango Habernaro sauce so want to stock up while there. Mad right?

Oh and the food wise I should say this will be my 29th year travelling to Disney so lots of time to try places plus I worked there for a year so that meant I got to try a lot of places. I am determined at some point to be able to say I've tried everywhere but they keep opening new ones and ruining it lol.

Yes that was the one I had spotted. Maybe I wont bother then as it sounds like it might not be what I am expecting. Will need to have another look for something.

I've booked the Barcelona Airport Hotel with cruise transfer in Barcelona and they do an airport shuttle. As I'm only in the day before it makes it easy for me and I've stayed there before (churros and bacon for breakfast lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter