21 nights in WDW+DXDDP =over 300 food pics!! (& a huge weight gain!)COMPLETED 11/30!

For breakfast we shared a School Bread that we'd picked up from the Kringla Bakery the previous afternoon. I tried schoolbread for the first time last year and loved it, and was surprised to see it looked a bit different to last time, with a brown rather than white topping. I was happy that it pretty much tasted the same, except for the topping having a caramel flavour. The things are still huge, and there's no way I could eat a whole one by myself!

It was a tasty breakfast and good use of a snack credit.
school.jpg

And a picture of the inside, after we'd cut it in half.
school_cut.jpg

For lunch we were trying Tusker House for the first time. I was looking forward to this as we both really enjoy Boma and I was hoping this would be similar.
We checked in at 11:35 and the waiting area was very crowded as they hadn't begun to seat people yet. We were sat at 11:45 (our ADR time), and the room we were sat in was about half full.

Our waiter greeted us after a few minutes and explained how the buffet worked and brought us our drinks. He was very friendly and efficient.

There was no real starting point at this buffet, our waiter told us to go to the stations in whatever order we wanted so I began with a selection of hot and cold items.

Starting from the top going clockwise, I had Cornbread which we don't really have in England so I eat this at any opportunity I can get while in the US. Then Cous cous with roasted veg (quite bland), vegetable samosa which was very good, a tad spicy with nice crisp pastry, cous cous salad (sweet and tasty),curried rice salad (good curry flavour, again quite sweet), potato wedges (slightly spiced, good) and piri piri salmon which was good salmon but lacked spices.
th1.jpg

I went back for a second plate. Again starting from the top, tabbouleh (good, minty flavoured), some roasted root veg (a bit too bland), another samosa(v good again),pearl barley cous cous with basil (unusual texture but good), and marinated tofu and aubergine (actually very good, and flavourful but not spicy), pita bread and hummus (v nice). Oh, and I also couldn't resist sneaking a corndog nugget from the kids buffet, as we don't get these in the UK so I make sure to have a couple when in Disney.
th3.jpg

DH also had a couple of platefuls. Again starting from the top he tried Pearl Barley Cous Cous with Basil (good),the same marinated tofu and aubergines I had, vegetable samosa, cous cous with roasted veg (he thought it was bland too), chocolate bread with mango (he said it as very sweet), white rice with almonds (very plain) and curried rice.
th2.jpg

DH's second plate. Cornbread, sweetcorn bread (unusual, very doughy), green beans with onions (ok), cous cous salad (good, sweet), more marinated tofu and there's two more samosa's on the plate as well.
th4.jpg

Although we were both pretty full we wanted to try dessert.

My dessert plate: Strawberry mousse in a chocolate shell (v nice), baklava (pretty standard baklava, similar to that served at the Tangierine Cafe in Epcot), Banana cinnamon bread pudding with vanilla sauce which was very good and definitely the stand out dessert. It was rich, warm and gooey with nice hints of banana and cinnamon. I could have just had a big bowl of this for dessert and been more than satisfied.
th6.jpg

DH's dessert plate: Carrot cake (very soft texture with good hints of ginger).
The Banana bread pudding with vanilla sauce (he loved it too), strawberry tart, a macaroon (good coconut flavour, very soft) and pomegranate and chocolate cake (very dense, not his favourite dessert),
th5.jpg

Overall we really enjoyed our lunch here. There were tons of vegetarian options for DH, and good selections of both savoury and sweet dishes. Although not quite as good as Boma, it was a very nice buffet which we'd defiinitely return to.

Coming up next, our dinner at Narcoossees.

I am loving your reviews and pictures.

I have to say the salt and peper pots on teh pane were so darn cute!!!!

Joining. Love the reviews. Some interesting choices that I have not seen before. Keep them coming.

Thank you very much.

looks great so far, enjoying your reviews!

Thank you

We've never been to Tusker House, but I love Narcoossees. :cloud9:

I've only been to Narcoosees twice, and actually didn't love it on my first visit, but really enjoyed it this time round.

I am loving your reviews and pictures.

I have to say the salt and peper pots on teh pane were so darn cute!!!!

Thank you. I was sorely tempted to steal the salt and pepper pots but restrained myself. They had 'Pinched from Virgin Atlantic' written on the bottom, so I assume lots of people do actually take them!

Before we get to Narcoosees I'll post a couple of bonus pictures. The previous afternoon we'd picked up some Zebra Domes from the Mara using a snack credit. We ate them over the course of a couple of days, but they were very good, sweet, chocolately with plenty of amarula.
m_zebra.jpg

Also, I totally forgot that prior to our dinner at Jiko, we'd had a drink at Victoria Falls. I ordered a Mango Mint Champagne cocktail (I think it had a snazzier name than that but I can't remember it!!). It was good but I wasn't keen on the puree, it was much heavier than the wine so didn't really mix with it. This meant you had wine slightly flavoured with Mango/mint, and a load of puree left in the bottom of the glass after you'd finished the wine.
jk_drink.jpg

Ok, now on to Narcoosees. We had a 7:45 reservation, and waited about 10 minutes after this time to be seated. The bar was very crowded and it took a while to find a seat.

While we were waiting I ordered a Raspberry Champagne cocktail. This was good, but had the same issue as above with the raspberry part sinking to the bottom of the glass.
nar_rasp.jpg

The atmosphere here was quite loud, and although the decor is more casual than Jiko, diners were much more dressed up here.

Our waiter was a slightly older gentleman who was very friendly, but a little slow. This meant our meal here was probably the longest of the trip at over 2hours, but this wasn't a problem for us.

For my appetiser I chose the Ahi Tuna Tartar with miso vinaigrette, wasabi tobiko and togarashi crisps . This was absolutely fantastic, and I think it was the best appetiser I had all trip. The tuna was of good quality, and the texture was so soft and silky it just melted in your mouth. It had hints of wasabi and miso, but this didn't overpower the taste of the tuna at all. The crisps were crunchy and spicy, and provided a good contrast to the tuna.
nar_tuna.jpg

DH chose, surprise, surprise the Cheese Plate. He said this was a nice cheese plate, with Humboldt Fog goats cheese, Canadian Cheddar and Rogue River Oregon blue. There was a good honeycomb accompaniment which went very well with the blue cheese, and two types of bread. It wasn't as good as Jiko's cheese plate but it was nice.
nar_chs.jpg

For my entree I went with the Crab Crusted Yellowtail Snapper with a lemon butter sauce. This was a gorgeous dish, the crust was like a good crab cake and kept the fish underneath nice and moist. I adored the sauce but it had quite a strong lemon flavour and if you took too much of it with each bite it overpowered the delicate flavour of the fish. It came with fingerling potatoes which were good too. Again like the app, this was one of the best entree's I had all trip.
nar_main.jpg

DH had the vegetarian option, which he didn't really rate. It consisted of a potato gratin,tasty but it was burnt on the bottom which marred the taste slightly, carrots which were slightly undercooked, grilled tofu served with red onion and cabbage (tasty but the it was only lukewarm) and pearl barley and spinach risotto which he did enjoy. Overall he said the idea for this dish was nice, but it was poorly executed.
nar_veg.jpg

As we were finishing our main courses Hallowishes started. Although we didn't have a window table we could still see the fireworks from our seats, and I loved that they piped the music in. I was really pleased to see this show as we weren't going to MNSSHP and it was a great vantage point.

For dessert I chose the Almond Crusted Cheesecake I'd read so many people rave about. Oh my god this was good, and I'm not even normally a cheesecake fan!! The combination of sweet, crunchy almonds with the creamiest, lightest cheesecake I've ever tasted, was amazing. Add in the Cherry Compote, which cut through the sweetness and you've found nirvana. Honestly this was probably one of the best desserts I've ever tasted. It almost killed me that I was too full to finish it, but luckily DH ensured none went to waste.
nar_cake.jpg

DH had the Key Lime Creme Brulee, which he said was good with quite a powerful lime flavouring to it. For some reason I don't have a picture of this, sorry.

Overall I absolutely loved this meal, all three courses were knockouts and combined with seeing Hallowishes this was my favourite meal of the trip (excluding V&A which is in a league of it's own). However DH really didn't enjoy it much and said he wouldn't recommend it for vegetarians. I was disappointed DH didn't enjoy it because I had such a great meal, so as much as it would pain me to miss it, I think we'll only return if they offer up something a bit different as a vegetarian meal.

Thanks for the great review of Narcoossee's! We're going for the first time next month and that almond cheesecake is on my list.:thumbsup2

DH chose, surprise, surprise the Cheese Plate. He said this was a nice cheese plate, with Humboldt Fog goats cheese, Canadian Cheddar and Rogue River Oregon blue. There was a good honeycomb accompaniment which went very well with the blue cheese, and two types of bread. It wasn't as good as Jiko's cheese plate but it was nice.
nar_chs.jpg

My sister is the cheese lover in the family. I so need to send her over here! :thumbsup2

Overall I absolutely loved this meal, all three courses were knockouts and combined with seeing Hallowishes this was my favourite meal of the trip (excluding V&A which is in a league of it's own). However DH really didn't enjoy it much and said he wouldn't recommend it for vegetarians. I was disappointed DH didn't enjoy it because I had such a great meal, so as much as it would pain me to miss it, I think we'll only return if they offer up something a bit different as a vegetarian meal.
Too bad your DH doesn't eat fish. The lobster was amazing! :goodvibes You're right about V & A. We went there on our anniversary. Truly a dining experience.

looks so good! i think that i have decided on narcoosees for my birthday dinner. can't wait.

I really like your reviews :goodvibes

Thank you

thanx for the reviews

Thanks

Thanks for the great review of Narcoossee's! We're going for the first time next month and that almond cheesecake is on my list.:thumbsup2

Thank you. Glad the cheesecake's on your list, it really was fab!

Everything looks so good! We're trying 10 days on Deluxe Dining in December so can't wait to read all of your reviews!

I think you'll really enjoy your ten days of deluxe dining, we really enjoyed ours!

Thanks for the review of Narcoossee's. That's another one I'll be trying this year.

Thank you, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

looks so good! i think that i have decided on narcoosees for my birthday dinner. can't wait.

Excellent, hope you enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter