2022 Winter Olympics NBC/CBC events thread

Men's Snowboard Cross final is why I like to watch only *after* I know the outcome. Tight race and photo finish between the Austrian (Gold) and Canadian (Silver). I spend most of the race muttering "don't fall, don't fall" to myself

No cable, we don't get NBC

ETA: I am techno-stupid but figured out how to stream NBC via Sling in time to watch the last 6 skaters. YAY, NATHAN!! Congratulations on your gold!!
How were you watching USA if you don't have cable? If you are watching on Peacock you just needed to back out of the USA feed and go into the Primetime NBC feed. I fell asleep before Chen skated last night, I want Bobsleigh now.

Could just be the scheduling. US might have better chances in later events.

See, there was no need to be impatient. At the end of Thursday (Bejing time), the US has 10 medals, including 4 gold. Canada has 12, but only one gold. Both countries are back on track.

Granted, the slow start for the US likely caused TV viewers to tune out and find other things to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if ratings were dismal.

See, there was no need to be impatient. At the end of Thursday (Bejing time), the US has 10 medals, including 4 gold. Canada has 12, but only one gold. Both countries are back on track.

Granted, the slow start for the US likely caused TV viewers to tune out and find other things to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if ratings were dismal.

Yeah, but some overly optimistic writers were predicted 35+ medals for the US. It's not going to happen at this pace. 25 seems a more reasonable goal. I know the 2018 medal total was a major disappointment.

The US speed skating teams, both long and short track, pretty much fell apart after 2010. In the later 90s and thru 2010 the US would usually achieve about 10 to 12 medals in those events. Now it's 2 or 3.

I think I read that the ratings for this Opening Ceremony were the lowest in history.

The U.S. tends to do better in the summer olympics than the winter, partly due to track and field. We have some outstanding winter athletes, but don't dominate the Nordic events.

Yeah, but some overly optimistic writers were predicted 35+ medals for the US. It's not going to happen at this pace. 25 seems a more reasonable goal. I know the 2018 medal total was a major disappointment.

The US speed skating teams, both long and short track, pretty much fell apart after 2010. In the later 90s and thru 2010 the US would usually achieve about 10 to 12 medals in those events. Now it's 2 or 3.

I think I read that the ratings for this Opening Ceremony were the lowest in history.
I always in past watched the Olympics and loved it. I haven’t watched one newscast or one event. Viewership is down for obvious reasons.

There's no real way to know how many are actually watching the games. I have watched almost everything I've seen through streaming and rarely turn on a single TV channel. Streaming and online is hard if not impossible to measure.

Another “biased” judging situation in short track to China’s advantage?

Men’s relay. Chinese dude fell after HIS skate accidentally hit Canadian’s skate. I was expecting biased judge to disqualify Canada, but he just let China advance to the final despite finishing in last place.

Korean dude in next semifinal has pink hair.

There's no real way to know how many are actually watching the games. I have watched almost everything I've seen through streaming and rarely turn on a single TV channel. Streaming and online is hard if not impossible to measure.
Depends on where you're streaming from. I'm watching all of it through the Peacock service, I guarantee they have data on how many people are watching Peacock at any given time. I would expect all of the legitimate services to offer similar data. The ones that are hard if not impossible to measure are those shady services that are on the edge of legality and people watching actual over the air content.

My husband and I were talking about the fact that the US does not do as well with medals in the Winter Olympics. Our conclusion is that many of these sports are not as well funded or as well known. It is not as if kids are competing in high school in luge or skeleton. Yes kids play hockey, ski, and skate but again those are very expensive sports not just not available to all kids. I love the olympics and I have watched much of the coverage by recording it on youtubeTV.
My oldest child who is highly competitive. He played 4 sports in high school and then walked onto the crew team in college (never rowed a day in his life) seems to think that if he could have 4 years to prepare he could compete in cross country skiing. I think he has lost his mind since he hates the cold but if he could quit work and train who knows - he has a different level of determination. To be an elite athlete you just have to have a different mindset and be well funded.

USA women’s hockey team won last night 4-1. The men’s team play Canada tonight at 11pm ET on USA. :jumping1:

@tvguy might be able to answer this.

My heart hurt for Shawn White, but he was competing against others half his age. Even though he is 35. I heard him comment that his legs were giving out on his landings. What a moment though to take off your helmet and goggles and bow down to the spectators and wave goodbye after he knew it was over. Great Sportsmanship.

My husband and I were talking about the fact that the US does not do as well with medals in the Winter Olympics. Our conclusion is that many of these sports are not as well funded or as well known. It is not as if kids are competing in high school in luge or skeleton. Yes kids play hockey, ski, and skate but again those are very expensive sports not just not available to all kids. I love the olympics and I have watched much of the coverage by recording it on youtubeTV.
My oldest child who is highly competitive. He played 4 sports in high school and then walked onto the crew team in college (never rowed a day in his life) seems to think that if he could have 4 years to prepare he could compete in cross country skiing. I think he has lost his mind since he hates the cold but if he could quit work and train who knows - he has a different level of determination. To be an elite athlete you just have to have a different mindset and be well funded.

I also wonder if it is, partly, due to the difference in the make up of countries participating. I've not actually analysed, but it seems to be more lower income countries at the summer games than winter ones (there are more lower income countries the global south than global north). No idea if it might mean anything but, it might.

I wonder what the most dangerous sport is....luge, skeleton or bobsled.

Ski Jump - you pretty much die or get gravely injured if you mess that one up...that's why mess ups almost never happen (I think only one person had a mishap between last Olympics and this one)...it's also why Eddie the Eagle was a thing back in the day - officials REALLY don't want folks who aren't 100% elite going down these things in competition b/c of the lethal risk...

I also wonder if it is, partly, due to the difference in the make up of countries participating. I've not actually analysed, but it seems to be more lower income countries at the summer games than winter ones (there are more lower income countries the global south than global north). No idea if it might mean anything but, it might.

A lot of winter sports are very expensive, as well. Ice time, equipment, etc.

Overhyped Alpine skier Mikaela Shriffrin flames out spectacularly. Again. 😭

I really like Mikaela and feel bad for her but I don't get the negative reaction that NBC is getting as though she is the only athlete that has to do interviews when they fail or spends time on camera right after a loss. The losing locker room is always covered after events and members of the losing team do press conferences. This isn't some new thing that just started happening. The camera spends a lot of time at the end of the Super Bowl on the losing QB if the game isn't close, especially if it was the favorite.

There is also the fact that she was the favorite and we like underdogs. When the favorite loses, like when Brady goes out of the playoffs every year, there is a lot of coverage of it and a little happiness from people that don't want the "big name" to win again. When Usain Bolt pulled up limping during his last race he was on camera a long time and they replayed it over and over and over. I didn't hear anyone complaining about that.

Last edited:

It's not impossible to measure, it's just that there is no standardized system for doing so that is publicly reported, like Nielsen does for traditional linear TV viewing. The companies providing the streams absolutely know how many are watching, but they don't have to share that information. With the many disparate ways to watch these days, it is more challenging to get a good bead on it. There is talk that Nielsen may get into providing streaming ratings of some kind, but I don't know that all of the big companies are on board with that yet. One thing to remember about ratings though - it's not about how many people watch the programming, but rather how many people see the ads.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter