2016 Destash - The more things you own, the more they own you

ACK, I feel like I've neglected my thread and my fellow declutterers. School officially started this week so we've been trying to get back into a new routine.
My youngest boy emptied his clothes drawers this week and filled 2 trash bags of clothes that were to small or he didn't want. I'm trying to work on my craft room but it's just not working well, it's so overwhelming.
This weekends goal is to finish the wood chipping pile and possibly start emptying the wood shed to pull the older wood to the front and put the new stuff in the back.

Other than that it's been slow going. I need to change all that.

Got my DD's room finished. Hubby finally put her bed in. She started moving stuff in. I went through a few bins with her
She got rid of
-2 back packs
-6 teen purses
-8 kid purses
-1 kids swim suit cover up
-3 movie cd's
-2 kid video tapes
- kid suit case
- she got rid of 6-8 old school work books
-4 note books
-old school papers

DD is almost 18 but she's had so much stuff stuffed away she still had stuff from middle school-lol!

She still has a lot to go through like
-shoes
-another large bag full of purses
-scarfs
-nail polishes
-jewelry
-other misc stuff

my living room and dining room is still a mess with her stuff :/ but I want to make sure we go through each bag, bin, box etc and Konmari before she take it into her room

Used up all of my left over packing supplies for the ebay sales from the last week!!

2 partial rolls of bubble wrap
6 cardboard boxes
3 grocery bags of air pillows

All Gone!!!!

Also, a bag of 19 books to school!!

Last edited:
Trying to decide what to do today. Tis the season for stacking firewood so house stuff might have to wait for a while. I need to split the new stuff, move the old stuff out and play the shuffle game so the old stuff can be used first.
But first we are going to the used book store. I might try to sell a few things and DS15 needs a book.

Took a grocery bag of paperwork over to the robotics center to be filled away (registration forms and other such misc paperwork)

We definitely need to get back to de-cluttering here.

Our garage is over 50% done, but we haven't touched it in a few weeks.

We've been de-cluttering the house, here and there, but with no real concentrated effort.

I started a new job recently, so it has made it a bit more difficult to get things done.

I really want to get de-cluttered and organized before the holidays though. ::yes::

So I don't know if this will help anyone here but I heard about a way to downsize your belongings. You get rid of 1 thing on day one, 2 things on day 2, etc. It is supposed to be little things to get you started and the longer you go the easier it is supposed to be. I may try this because I am feeling like a failure this year with my decluttering. I figure if I go from now to the end of the year I will have a good start for next years attempt

Fun to read what everyone's been up to! We moved half way across the country during this pregnancy. We're still setting this house up. I did a good job of getting rid of a lot of the clutter before the move so I haven't seen much stuff to get rid of.

The problem is that I'm in super nesting gear and trying to stock up on Halloween decorations and teeny baby clothes. Hopefully I don't get too much clutter.

I did sell some of my daughter's old clothes last week, but then bought clothes for next summer that I picked up cheap(our summers are 8 months here).

Just gotta keep getting things organized before this baby gets here!!

just put up trim work for the laundry room and the new exterior door.

That is 12 pieces of trim work put in its place and not just hanging around anymore!!

Also, put in those little plastic inserts that cover the screws around the window of the new doors (2 packages of those now used up and out of the way as well)

Threw away a ratty/frayed lead cord when I need to find a good one

Did a big (for me) purge this past week. I run a community youth drill team and we had a yard sale this weekend as a fundraiser. I managed to offload a decent size box plus a trash bag of clothes DS has outgrown and a large box of his old toys. It's so nice to have them out of my dining room. Not only did we earn $265 of pure profits but we set up with a charity to have them come collect anything that didn't sell for a women's shelter so nobody had to haul their unsold stuff back home or to the Goodwill. :yay:

down at WDW - not decluttering - trying not to gain new clutter :-)
I'm new to this thread, but I'm having the same problem. I get one area decluttered but then I buy a bunch of other stuff for another area. Our walk in master bedroom closet system imploded in May 2015. I massively purged my clothes because only one small closet rod was left intact and over half of it no longer fit. I finished re-installing the closet in August 2016. I also started working on the garage. We got about 1/3 done and stopped.

But now I am making the rounds at the Goodwill collecting college apartment kitchen stuff for DD and football tailgating supplies. This school year DS moved into his first college apartment. I scoured the Goodwill all summer long to outfit the kitchen and really got some good quality stuff for a few dollars. I decided to start collecting kitchen stuff for DD who is 2 years behind DS. When I see it for cheap, I grab it (Calphalon pots & pans, whole Corelle dinnerware set). The only problem is - what do I do with it until she needs it???!!!

As for the tailgating stuff, now that we're going to some college football games, I made the mistake of looking on Pinterest for tailgate food and décor ideas. Well I am officially obsessed with vintage tailgate and vintage picnic items. ARG!!!!! Luckily I have practiced some incredible restraint. I only bought a vintage stadium blanket in DS's school colors on ebay, 4 mini university pennants on ebay (to put on a string and decorate the car don't ya know), some university napkins and plastic cups. Today at the Goodwill I saw a wooden tray (perfect for the bloody mary bar) and a two tiered plate stand but did not buy them. Here I am trying to declutter and I'm being tempted by more junk!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter