2016 Destash - The more things you own, the more they own you

I've been a slacker lately while dealing with some other tasks, but my goal for today is the paper clutter on the fridge. - I want to see a nice clean expanse of white! (Well, a few pictures and a memo board will stay, but most of it right now is clutter.)

Yesterday, DS did his sock drawer. It doesn't sound like much, but you couldn't close it if they were all clean at once. Now all the too-small ones are gone.

Thanks for this idea! I need to have DS clear out his sock drawer!

I stalled with a number of bags/boxes that need to go to donation, as we were getting DD ready for university in Finland. She's been gone 2 weeks now, and if I haven't moved it by Friday, I will call the Canadian Diabetes Society to come and pick it up as soon as they can.

We have a lot of random things we hold on to- the boxes our cell phones came in. Why? We use them until they break. I found the box from every cell phone we've ever owned when we moved last time- and most of the phones. I gave my old Razr to my son to play with and recycled the rest and dumped the boxes. Yet I've kept these boxes for no real reason. Toss!

If you have any iPhone boxes, they are very sturdy- I use them in my drawers to hold little things that I don't want flying all over, or to keep jewelry separated.

3 days ago I moved my scrapbooks back into my craft room. They kept getting buried behind stuff, then last night we pulled all the camera equipment out, resorted it and put it in the cabinet where the books came from. DH asked how we accumulated so much camera equipment, I was like cause you keep buying it!!! I think it's time to sit down and start deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. I typically use 2 cameras with the lenses that are already on there. I don't need 6 other lenses.

I need to find a place that scans 12x12 albums. The kids want to keep all the disney albums that I've made but they just take up way to much room. I can print all the albums in a digital book and they will take up 1/4 of the space. And they can each get their own copy!

School starts soon and I can't wait to get back into purging mode when no one is home to bother me.

I'm hopeful that back to school time, with all 3 boys in all day school this year, will lead to increased cleaning productivity on my part. But I'm worried I won't do much better, but will now have no excuses!

today I completed my 1st week back to work and I'm exhausted!!! I worked in my spare room for about 10 mins and had to take a break-lol! Not how I want to spend my frieday night but I'm going back in to declutter. Anyone else up decluttering tonight?

Goals for tonight
-one bag of clothes to donate
-organize my cabinet
-go through two of my craft drawers
-clear off my desk

UPDATE- Worked mostly in my cabinet
Donating Daughters items that were in my spare room
-Pj shorts, 2 T-shirts and 1 pair of cute sweat pants
My stuff
-3 plastic shoe boxes
-1 grocery bag of trash
-1 old mini cheap photo album
-1 unused calendar address book from 2006!
-mini fabric bag
-2 Easter baskets
-2 mini plastic baskets
-1 miley cyrus metal bucket
-1 valentine cookie tub
-1 small basket type thingy
-1 basket weaved purse
I also filled up 2 medium size party bags and filled with
-Bag #1 filled it with new stuff I found in my cabinet with stuff for teen gifts for when my DD needs a lil last minute gift for her friends
- 3 mini make up bags
-1 mini cute lil purse gift card older
-3-4 packs of nail stickers. the ones that go over your entire nail
-1 mini lil metal hold thingy(perfct to hold lil mini bath stuff or nail polish and nail stickers
-2 foot bath gift set of foot scraper thingy and rock thingy to smooth heel and spongey thingy
-water bottle
-10-15 pairs of bootie socks(on clearance at WW for $1-$2 for 2 pairs
-cute pen
-mini note pad with mini pen
-1 candle
-2 medium candles
-2 large candles
---------------------------
kids bag of gifts
- dino box of magnets
-hello kitty bank saver can
-hello kitty pen
-3 packs of scratch art
-6 pack of cute animal print hair bows clips for babies or toddler
-2 packs of 6 mini princess star wands
-2 packs of princess comb crowns
-1 mini tote bag
maybe a few lil other extras in there too

I also found 3 new glass frames that can be given as gifts

Love the extra space I have now :) I still have lots more to do

Last edited:
I got rid of almost everything that was ready to go to Goodwill, yesterday. We still have the bag of towels, rags to go to Animal Care and Control, and DH has an appointment out that way later in the month. I've pretty much done the main floors, and am gathering the energy to attack my teaching supplies in the basement. DD1 lives across the world and can't take them and DD2 is pursuing something different until Christmas, so won't be teaching until January. I know that THIS will be the most difficult of anything I've done so far.

I cleaned up my bedroom closet today. Didn't get rid of a ton but its reorganized and looks great. I did finally get DS to part with his bey blades that had found their way into my closet. I feel so much better now that it's done

We went to dollar tree today. My daughter found me some brown plastic bins for my organizing-lol! She walks up to me and says , 'Mom , will these help you with your organzing?"

lol! The bins were perfect for my undergarment drawer . I just organized it and decluttered it and was thinking I need to look for some brown bins for it. I would have paid $2.99- $7.99 each so I scored with the $1 ea ones .

I'm trying to get my lazy butt up to go declutter some more but we were out all day and I'm tired.

I have 3 paper grocery bags of shredded paper for recycling. I finally went through the medical bills and flexible spending receipts in the filing cabinet. I shredded what was older than 2008, since 7 years is good for taxes (plus a cushion). I kept some fun stuff (like my kids' bills from when they were born and their first day care receipt), but most was shredded. I now have room to file the stacks of receipts that are new enough to keep, but had no home because the filing cabinet was stuffed full.

I got rid of 16 items of DD's clothes today. One of my old post where I sell used stuff on paid off today. Made $15(last month I made $20) It was one of the group of clothes I was going to put on the stuff to donate because I had it listed for a while now. I need to go back on and list stuff on Offer up and on FB groups. The extra $$ will come in handy since I also started a monthly budget. Funny how all this ties together....decluttering, organing Konmari, budgeting , wanting to lose weight for better health and healthier eating. I feel all this clutter is related to emotion stuff, stress or etc. First step is letting go :)

New to the decluttering thread. I have got to get motivated. I had a friend in need of clothes for her 3 grandkids, the boy is just getting into the size my son just outgrew and the oldest daughter wears the same size as me so I went through DS's dresser and was able to put together a complete wardrobe for the little boy! I went through my closet for the second time in 2 weeks (a large box and trash bag full went to a family with 2 teen girls in the first purge) and was able to easily pull an almost complete wardrobe for the oldest granddaughter. She just needed to grab her a couple pairs of jeans, pj's, and a light sweater. I was amazed that I still had so much to give even after clearing out a ton the first time. It truly opened my eyes to how much STUFF we have crammed in our home and how much we can get rid of without it making a negative impact in our daily lives.

My goal starting now is to pull 5 items each day for either trash or donation. We desperately need to go through DS9's toys. Kid has a HUGE toy box and it's so packed that the lid won't close. He doesn't even play with the stuff in there!

I already have a trash bag and 2 boxes of stuff to bring to goodwill. Clothes that my son had outgrown when we moved 2 years ago that have been stacked in boxes in the corner of my bedroom. Talk about bad feng shui! I have pack-rat tendencies but I know I can do this if I start small and keep at it daily.

I Slacked off yesterday and didn't get rid of anything other than piles of junk mail while frantically searching my entire home for our DME tags. Didn't find the dang tags. UGH but I'll still call it successful since I did get that mail sorted an tossed. Tonight will definitely be a bust since we are going straight to the Seahawks game once I get off work. Priorities, am I right?? LOL

I Slacked off yesterday and didn't get rid of anything other than piles of junk mail while frantically searching my entire home for our DME tags. Didn't find the dang tags. UGH but I'll still call it successful since I did get that mail sorted an tossed. Tonight will definitely be a bust since we are going straight to the Seahawks game once I get off work. Priorities, am I right?? LOL
Same here haven't got much done this week. This weekend we are going to a party so I'm hoping to work in my room Friday night and maybe early Saturday. Its just to HOT and I'm tired from work. Have fun at the game!

Same here haven't got much done this week. This weekend we are going to a party so I'm hoping to work in my room Friday night and maybe early Saturday. Its just to HOT and I'm tired from work. Have fun at the game!
AMEN on the hot and tired. It's supposed to hit the mid 90's or higher here in Seattle today and I'm dreading going home to my hot hot apartment after work. I'm even more exhausted than usual from not getting home until almost midnight. My beloved Hawks just couldn't pull through but we had a blast

The heat has definitely contributed to "clutter" for me --- outside. I haven't had the motivation to get out and weed at all.

The heat has definitely contributed to "clutter" for me --- outside. I haven't had the motivation to get out and weed at all.
This morning is was a little overcast and nice. hubby turned on the house fan and opened the windows. He said it was cooler outside then inside. I was up by 8am and the cool weather didn't last long. I didn't get anything done like I hoped . About an hour ago I did clear off my craft table and put some receipts in in the shred basket.

I bought 6 medium white bins from dollar tree. I plan on putting those in my craft cabinet or top of closet. I've also been keeping up with my laundry and folding it konmari style. Before I hated folding and my clothes would sit in basket for 1-2 days-lol!

I'm just tired this weekend and decided to rest so I can get through the week. SUMMER it's time for you to go home, I can't handle you anymore-lol!

Wow what great progress everyone is making! It's inspiring! I must admit I took most of the summer off from decluttering. However, today we went through both kids closets and dressers and tried on EVERYTHING. So two huge garbage bags of outgrown clothes are now ready to leave my house, destined for either a charity or some relatives who have smaller children. :) I've slowed down with my own closet cleaning, but I am halfway to filling up a bag with my own castaways. It is getting easier to put something in the bag anytime I try something on that doesn't fit right or feel good. I am getting much better at asking "why am I keeping this"... so I guess that's a step in the right direction!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter