• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

****2008 Ddp FAQ****

I have booked a package for next Sept. with DDP. I am hoping free dining will be offered to the general public next year, as in years past. Anyone have a realistic guess if I have chance of this, based on the changes to the plan, and that the dates of the free dining in the current bounceback offer are shorter than years past? Also, I see that Disney Visa holders have a few days advantage if free dining is offered.How does that work? How are they notified of the code, and do you have to USE the card to get the free dining?
Even with paying the tip, which will added on automatically for us as we will be a party of 5 adults, a 10 yr old(so really another adult dinning credit), 7 yr old & a 2 yr. old,the free dining works well for us.The appetizer change does not bother us. By the way, Bicker...I love your posts. You are so knowlegable and many times a "voice" of calm and reason when some threads get heated!
Thanks for all you do. Pumbaa, thanks for all this info.

It seems very likely that free dining will be offered again next year, given that they're already making the Bounce Back offer.

Southern schools are starting to go back in session later in August. I suspect that accounts for the later starting date for free dining. Disney is traditionally slow from the time the FL schools go back in session until the F&W Festival in October.

In previous years, with the gratuity included in the price of DDP, if you were participating in DDP but ordered something not covered by DDP (e.g. a beer with dinner), an 18% gratuity would automatically be added to the check for the add-on items.

With the gratuity no longer included, will they still continue to add 18% to checks for non-DDP extras? Anybody know for sure?

The brochure says the tip will be added to your out of pocket bill but I guess we won't know for sure until guests report back.

With the gratuity no longer included, will they still continue to add 18% to checks for non-DDP extras? Anybody know for sure?

The brochure says the tip will be added to your out of pocket bill but I guess we won't know for sure until guests report back.
Oh...so I could just read the brochure instead of asking dumb questions???:rotfl2:

Thanks Lewis -- gotta go put my dunce hat on! :crazy:

Thanks for this wonderful thread!! I have been going back and forth over whether we should do the DDP or not. We are going in April of 2008 and staying at POR, I purchased our package through AAA and did not add the DDp yet. I have 3 kids and 2 are going to be charged as adults. My DS, 11 can eat like and adult, however my DD 12 really likes to order from the kids menu, she is very picky. I'm still not sure what to do. Do I have to decide before I make my final payment 45 days before we leave? I know I have a lot of time before I go, but I need to make advanced reservations in October. Do any of the restaurants offer adult meals that kids would like? I was thinking of trying to stay with Buffets, because then DD would be able to have anything she likes.:confused3

Following up on an issue that has been raised a few times in the past month or so:

The actual list of restaurants participating in the Disney Dining Plan for 2007 was posted on Disney's website on November 15, 2006.

So folks shouldn't concern themselves with the preliminary list posted now, and should expect the actual list to be posted sometime in mid-November.

I was thinking of trying to stay with Buffets, because then DD would be able to have anything she likes.:confused3
We did a lot of buffets when we were on the DDP last week - Crystal Palace, Boma, H&V, Cape May. It worked out very well for DD15 and we parents enjoyed the food as well. She ate mostly off the kid's table (mac & cheese was a favorite), but also ate a lot of fruits and mashed potatoes off the adult portion of the buffet. I think it would have been difficult for her to find a lot of things she was willing to eat at many of the non-buffet restaurants (though she likes Mexican food and enjoyed the San Angel Inn). And the portions of a typical child's table service meal would not be enough food for her.

We did a lot of buffets when we were on the DDP last week - Crystal Palace, Boma, H&V, Cape May. It worked out very well for DD15 and we parents enjoyed the food as well. She ate mostly off the kid's table (mac & cheese was a favorite), but also ate a lot of fruits and mashed potatoes off the adult portion of the buffet. I think it would have been difficult for her to find a lot of things she was willing to eat at many of the non-buffet restaurants (though she likes Mexican food and enjoyed the San Angel Inn). And the portions of a typical child's table service meal would not be enough food for her.

Thanks so much. Do you think that the DDP is still a good value with the changes for 2008? I just can't decide. I know my family and I feel that it will be enough food, we normally wouldn't do 2 TS in one day, I just am not sure if it would just be cheaper to eat on our own. Any help deciding would be appreciated:confused3

We have just booked CSR - I cannot see Maya Grill or the Pepper Market listed for 2008 - will these be added?

Using last year as a guide, the actual list of restaurants participating in the 2008 Dining Plan should be expected around November 15, 2007.

Thank you! I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out some of this stuff and you have cleared up quite a few of my questions! :thumbsup2

This is a very helpful thread. I'm still not sure we are going to get the DDP when we go at the end of Jan, simply because we are going to have a car and might go off-site for a few meals. When we went to Hershey (Can I mention other parks? :rolleyes1 ) with the kids (age 4 and 6) we tended to eat breakfast, then take a break at around 4 for a meal, then have dessert at about 7.

Anyway, I am trying to reconcile the statement that this is not just an add-on to an existing reservation, with the cost/benefit analysis I always read. For example, I keep seeing people figure out the meals they will eat in advance, then conclude they will save about 15-20 dollars a day on the DDP. However, if you had a code that reduced your room from 150 to 100, then had to give that up and get a package where the room is $125, you just lost your savings! Is my analysis correct?

Yup. Disney generally doesn't allow folks to "stack discounts", and while this isn't a traditional discount, the same logic applies. If you can find a hotel discount that is better than the Disney Dining Plan, then you, of course, should select that discount instead... always evaluate all the discounts available to you and choose the most generous.

Thank you for this FAQ thread.

Can someone tell me if the DDP is used the same with the DVC? DH and I are contemplating renting DVC points next year. On one of my threads that I started over on the DVC Planning forum, someone had said that we don't have to get the DDP for our entire stay (we're looking at a one bedroom villa)if we rent points. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks.

Yup. Disney generally doesn't allow folks to "stack discounts", and while this isn't a traditional discount, the same logic applies. If you can find a hotel discount that is better than the Disney Dining Plan, then you, of course, should select that discount instead... always evaluate all the discounts available to you and choose the most generous.

Wow! That's amazing. So all these posts I keep reading about people concluding the DDP is worth it for them based on how much they would pay for food are probably incorrect! I am going to Disney during Value season, so I expect there will be some decent discount codes available. Unless the Magic your way package is also deeply discounted I don't see the benefit of a DDP. I mean, if I can get a $200 room for $125, why would I get a package that includes the DDP but only discounts the room ten or twenty dollars? No one else seems to factor this in when deciding on the DDP.

Thanks for clearing that up. This board is amazing (and slightly addictive).

Well, I think most do factor that in. The issue is whether you can get a $75 per day discount on your room, or not. Before I joined DVC, I spent year after year paying rack rate, because the room discounts would sell-out too quickly for when I traveled to WDW. A lot of people have had that experience, and are making their decisions based on what they know. By the same token, there is no need to commit to the Dining Plan until after you're pretty sure that there won't be a generous room discount made available to you.

Well, I think most do factor that in. The issue is whether you can get a $75 per day discount on your room, or not. Before I joined DVC, I spent year after year paying rack rate, because the room discounts would sell-out too quickly for when I traveled to WDW. A lot of people have had that experience, and are making their decisions based on what they know. By the same token, there is no need to commit to the Dining Plan until after you're pretty sure that there won't be a generous room discount made available to you.

Thanks Bicker. You're such a wealth of knowledge on these boards, LOL.

We would prefer to get the DDP. We used it for the first time last year and it was worth it for us. We loved the fact that everything was paid for ahead of time. Less stress and hassle that way, IMO. This time, we will have to make sure to set aside the money for tips with these new changes.

Our vacation this time around will be 10 nights/11 days. We learned our lesson last time and are scheduling 2 days of down time. Mostly so I can catch up on :laundy: on one day and have another day of just relaxing. We're going to be purchasing a 7 day PH and would prefer to also have the DDP for those 7 days. Since the one and two bedroom villas have a kitchen, we would prefer to eat there on our down time and our last day. I just don't know if the DDP can be used like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter