****2008 Ddp FAQ****

Pumbaa_

>Hakuna Matata!<
Welcome to the 2008 DDP FAQ. This is a work in progress. As updates occur, they will be posted. If you have any updates or corrections, please PM me.

This thread is based on the original DDP FAQ thread created by bicker. Any inaccuracies are mine. Thanks again bicker for the information!

The Disney Dining Plan, DDP,is a Meal Plan available with the purchase of a Magic Your Way Plus Dining Package. The Magic Your Way Plus Dining Package includes Disney Resort Accommodations, Magic Your Way Base ticket and the Disney Dining Plan.

According to Disney’s brochure, everyone in the room must be on the same package and ticket options. All tickets are for one Theme Park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use. Package and package components, including dining entitlements, are nontransferable. Dining entitlements expire at midnight on day of checkout.

The Disney Dining Plan (DDP) entitles each guest to receive 1 Table Service (TS) credit, 1 Counter Service (CS) credit and 1 Snack credit per night’s stay. EXAMPLE: Sunday to Saturday stay allots 6 TS, 6 CS and 6 Snack credits per guest age 3 and over.

Adult credits are assigned to Guests 10 and older. Child credits are for guests age 3-9. Adult and child credits are not interchangeable.

The nice feature about the DDP is how the credits can be used. The credits are not restricted to 1TS or 1 CS or 1 Snack credit per day. If the guest would like to have a TS breakfast and a TS lunch and a TS Dinner, they can! (As long as they have the credits to use of course :) )

How much does the plan cost?
The price for the DDP is per night of stay. The DDP price includes tax but DOES NOT INCLUDE gratuity. The Dining Plan must be purchased for everyone registered on the reservation.
• $37.99 per guest 10 years old and over and
• $9.99 for children 3-9 years old.
(Change form 2007 DDP - $1 less in price and Gratuity is no longer included)

What does each credit entitle the guest to receive?

Each Table Service Credit includes one of the following:
Breakfast: Juice, Entrée, Non-alcoholic beverage
Lunch: Entrée, Dessert, Non-alcoholic beverage
Dinner: Entrée, Dessert, Non-alcoholic beverage
(Change form 2007 DDP – Appetizer is no longer included)

OR One full buffet.
Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s menu where available.

Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR) are strongly suggested.

As an added benefit, you may exchange two (2) Table Service meal credits for either one Signature Dining Experience at one of WDW's finest restaurants, (see list below), or for one Disney Dinner Show, such as Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. In-room dining, where available can also be used for 2 TS credits.

Your Counter Service (or Quick Service) Credit includes one of the following:
Breakfast: Juice, Entrée, Non-alcoholic beverage
OR One Combo Meal, Non-alcoholic beverage

Lunch: Entrée, Dessert, Non-alcoholic beverage
one Combo Meal, Dessert, Non-alcoholic beverage

Dinner: Entrée, Dessert, Non-alcoholic beverage
OR one Combo Meal, Dessert, Non-alcoholic beverage

Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s menu where available.

Beverage choices do vary by location. While typically any sized soft-drink is permitted, sometimes the beverage is limited to medium size (such as at Yakitori House). Also, while typically the beverage is limited to fountain drinks, guests have been allowed specialty drinks and/or bottled water.

Your Snack Credit includes one item selected from a vast array available at snack locations. Disney is now generally defining a "snack" on the Disney Dining Plan be an item under $4 (pre-tax), edible, non-alcoholic, non-merchandise and non-souvenir. Some items such as pizza slices are excluded. Snacks can be redeemed at quick service or snack cart locations only. Quick-service and snack cart locations display a DDP logo on their menus indicating items for which you can use your snack credits.

There is an entire thread listing the snack credits guests have reported being able to get a list of available snack options. Click here to open that thread.

Restaurants are still being confirmed – this is 2007 information and is assumed to be same/similar until it is otherwise reported. Please check with Disney Dining when making your ADR’s.

Signature restaurants requiring 2TS credits:
• Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
• California Grill (Contemporary Resort)
• CRT character breakfast/lunch/dinner with photo package (Magic Kingdom)
• Citricos (Grand Floridian)
• Flying Fish Café (Boardwalk Inn & Villas)
• Hollywood Brown Derby (MGM Studios)
• Jiko - The Cooking Place (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
• Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
• Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)

Dinner Shows requiring 2TS credits:
• Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show (Polynesian)
• Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (Fort Wilderness)
• Mickey's Backyard Barbeque (Fort Wilderness)

Exclusions, limitations and/or surcharges may apply (especially at Downtown Disney restaurants). We will try to keep a full, up-to-date list of those here.

Limitations/Exclusions/Observations
• Earl of Sandwich - fountain drink and cookie for dessert In 2007, was possible to get cake or bread pudding as dessert. Ask if you want a particular dessert.
• Tangerine - limits your dessert Baklava only.
• The Lunching Pad - no dessert
• Teppanyaki - Lobster (when available) and sushi are not included in the Dining Plan. (These items are now listed separate from the entrees as "Specialties".) 2008 - Teppanyaki is now Teppan Edo. There is no lobster on the menu. The salad isn't included as part of the entree - can be ordered as an appetizer on DxDDP.
• Yakitori House - Only certain combinations permitted. For example, Tonosama Combination is not included.
• Pepper Market - Dessert options with CS only allowed from Tier 1
• Spoodles - A Dessert "Sampler" can be ordered, but only by two Dining Plan guests.
• Raglan Road - Dessert "Sampler" is excluded.
• Planet Hollywood - Aubriee reports that surf and turf is excluded.
• Wolfgang Puck Express - Two of the most expensive entrees (depending on the menu, this could be meatloaf, lasagna and/or tortellini) are not included in the Dining Plan.
• Wolfgang Puck Cafe - Sushi is considered an entree, not an appetizer.
• California Grill - Yoshi's Deluxe Sushi Platter is considered an entree. Aubriee reports that Snake in the Grass is excluded from the Dining Plan. Last year and this year, Snake in the Grass has been reported to be available as an entree, not an appetizer.
• Pastries at Boulangerie are not available on the Dining Plan for snack credits. In 2008, posters have reported being able to use snack credits for pastries.
Of course, "add-ons" are never included, nor are items intended for more than a single diner. In some cases two diners may be able to order an item-for-two. Also, both Whispering Canyon and Le Cellier might have surcharges for the more expensive child meals. Ask before you order.

A poster reports in August 2008 that Narcoosee's will not permit ordering the cheese selection as a dessert on the dining plan.

There is a report from a poster that basic dining plan users can order the Taste of Morocco and the Night in Casablanca at Restaurant Marrakesh for an extra charge. They were able to report only that there is a $5.95 upcharge for the Night in Casablanca, and were not aware of the amount for the Taste of Morocco.

These fixed-price menu specials cannot be ordered on the DDP:
French Menu - Chefs de France
Northwest Selections - Artist Point
However, dining plan guests can pick the same items off the regular menu (with the exception of the appetizer if on the basic plan)

In the past, some restaurants and eateries (but not all) permitted selection of a smoothie or other specialty non-alcoholic drink in place of the standard beverage option in TS and CS meals. Jocelyn (phlufster) reports that a memo was circulated to all restaurants early in January indicating that that practice is no longer permitted. It is not yet clear to what extent this memo reflects the reality.

It's reported that Disney policy is that guests on the basic Dining Plan may not substitute appetizers for desserts under any circumstances. Added to FAQ by TDC Nala.

Recent reports in the second half of 2008 are that Le Cellier is experimenting with a lunch and dinner "pilot menu" including an appetizer, entree, and dessert. This fixed-price selection can be ordered on the dining plan and includes all three courses, even on the basic plan.

Official Brochures

Click here to open the 2008 Magic Your Way Dining Plan brochure.

Click here for information on the 2008 Magic Your Way Packages with the Disney Dining Plan. (This link opens a page on Dreams Unlimited's website. Dreams Unlimited is a site sponsor.)

Note that the Disney Dining Plan is one of four package plans Disney offers that includes dining. The others include:
Deluxe Disney Dining Plan
Premium Plan
Platinum Plan

And a new Wine plan:
Disney Wine and Dine Plan

Now, for some of the more common questions about the plan.

Money Questions

How much does the plan cost?
The price for the standard Dining Plan is $37.99 per guest 10 years old and over. The price for the Dining Plan for young children, 3-9 years old, is $9.99. This is the cost per night of stay and is required for each night of your stay (on the same reservation). The Dining Plan must be purchased for everyone registered on the reservation.

The prices listed above, include tax.

Are tax and tips included?
The price of the plan includes tax but does not include gratuities.

Booking the Dining Plan Questions

Do I have to stay onsite?
Yes, you must be staying at a Disney hotel and book a package, or be staying at an on-site DVC resort.

Is there an admission purchase requirement?
With the exception of guests staying at DVC resorts, you must at least purchase a basic one day admission ticket, but you do not have to purchase a ticket that matches the number of nights you are staying.

Do I have to purchase the Dining Plan for the entire duration of my visit?
The Dining Plan must be purchased for the entire duration of your reservation. If you wish to purchase the Dining Plan for only a portion of your visit, you would have to make separate reservations (which could lead to having to switch rooms mid-trip, but that's somewhat rare).

How far in advance can I add the dining plan before my arrival?
The Dining Plan can be added to qualifying packages until shortly before your arrival date. The number of days varies depending on circumstances, so the recommendation is to be sure that you've made final arrangements at least five days prior. Call Disney or your travel agent for specific restrictions.

Can I still get my AP or other discounts?
The Dining Plan is only available as an add-on to qualifying Magic Your Way Packages (or to DVC reservations) -- it cannot be added to just any reservation. There are some discounted packages that do qualify for the Dining Plan, but many do not. Note that AAA can offer some packages with the Dining Plan with the AAA discount, but these must be booked through AAA directly -- they cannot be booked through Disney.

What is "free dining"? Will they offer free dining this year?
During the heart of Hurricane Season, Disney has offered a free dining promotion to help encourage reluctant guests to visit during this normally very quiet time of the year. The free dining promotion requires guests to book a Disney MYW package, paying for the hotel at the rack rate, and in return offers the Dining Plan as a free add-on to the package. For the UK/European residents offer, the free dining promotion had to be booked between August 25 and November 6, 2006. The free dining promotion has also been offered to guests while on-site at WDW if staying at Disney resort hotels during December 2006. The free dining promotion applies for arrivals starting August 5 (for the bounce-back offer) or August 12 (for the UK/European offer), through September 29, 2007.

There was a third offering of free dining for 2007, this one open to the general public. Disney VISA cardholders had the first chance at the available spots for the promotion, starting on April 9 (Code ZHQ), with the rest of the general public able to book on April 12. Reservations are limited to those with check-in from August 26 to September 22. There is a three night minimum required; the maximum number of nights for MYW packages is 14. This offer expired on June 24, 2007.

Note that free dining is not available with any other discount applied. Details on a 2008 Free Dining Period is not known at this time.

Using the Plan Questions

How many credits do I receive?
The number of credits you receive is based on the number of nights you are staying at the resort. You receive one Table Service credit (TS), one Counter Service/Quick Service credit (CS), and one snack credit, for each person registered on your reservation, for each night of your reservation.

What if I go offsite for the day, do I lose my credits?
No you do not lose them. They are for the entire trip. You could, in theory, save all your snack credits and use them on your last day.

When do my credits expire?
Your credits will expire at midnight the day of your check-out.

Is there a special menu we must order from?
No, you order from the regular restaurant menu.

Are add-ons such as shrimp or sides included in the plan?
No they are not.

Okay what about glow cubes, pizza delivery, mini-bars, souvenir or refillable mugs?
These are also not included in the Dining Plan and would have to be paid for separately.

Can we order menu items intended to be "for two"?
Generally speaking, the Dining Plan only includes menu items that are intended for a single diner; it cannot be used to get menu items intended for more than one diner, and (again generally) you cannot even "pool credits" from multiple diners to order such items. There are exceptions, of course, especially to the last part; i.e., some restaurants will sometimes allow Dining Plan patrons to order menu items intended for more than one diner, if that number of diners are willing to order it and share.

Does the family have to eat together, or can we split up?
All Dining Plan credits are accessible from all of the room keys associated with a reservation, so you can split up and eat.

Does everyone at the table have to use Dining Plan credits?
You can split the check, and pay cash for any guests at your table not on the DDP or for whom you don't want to use credits.

Do I have to make prior advanced dining reservations for all my Table Service meals?
Advance Dining Reservations, (ADRs),. are not required but STRONGLY suggested. The popularity of the DDP has led to many restaurants being fully booked months in advance. If you have your heart set on eating at a special place, make the reservation so you know you have a spot. You can walk up the day you are in the park and attempt a walkup list, but you may have a long wait or be turned away. You may make ADRs 180 days in advance.

If I order my meal, but do not get dessert, can I order it later?
It has been reported that when ordering ice cream at counter service locations, you can have your receipt stamped. This allows you to return to the restaurant after you finish your meal so your ice cream isn't a sloopy mess. However, that is not part of the Plan itself, and may or may not be offered to you at any specific restaurant.

Can I use TS credits for CS meals?
No. During the 2006 free dining promotion, Disney did extend an offer to use TS credits for CS meals (plus two snacks and a lanyard), but that offer has expired. Prior to that offer, some (but not all) hotel front desks allowed some (but not all) guests to convert some of their remaining TS credits in the CS credits, with the understanding that once converted they cannot be converted back. However, that is not an official part of the Dining Plan, and may or may not be successful in getting them to do that for you.

2007 trades have not been offered at this time.

Can I use two (or three) CS credits for a TS meal?
No. There is no way to combine CS credits to "pay for" a TS meal.

Can I exchange CS credits for snacks?
No. However, some eateries which support both CS and snack credits will allow you to use one CS credit for two or three snacks. That's not a standard, though, and may not be consistent either.

Can I share meals on the Dining Plan?
Sharing is never permitted at buffet or prix fixe meals. Beyond that, this is actually two separate questions, addressed below...

Can I share meals with guests not on the Dining Plan?
No. The Dining Plan cannot be shared with guests who aren't registered as part of your hotel reservation.

Can I share meals with other guests on the Dining Plan staying on the same hotel reservation?
There is no clear answer to this. Consistently, guests seem to be allowed to share the meals ordered on the Dining Plan amongst the guests at their table, with the exception of fixed price meals, such as buffets or other all-you-can-eat options. However, this question was been asked directly to Disney via email, by a number of guests, and consistently, they have answered this question by saying specifically that, "sharing is not permitted." Despite several attempts to get clarification about that statement, no clarification appears to be forthcoming from Guest Communications, and nothing official has been released by Disney Dining to resolve the confusion. Ask your server.

Can I pay for my child's meal in cash, and use their TS credit for another adult meal?
Sorry, child meal entitlements can not be used for adult meals.

Can I pay for my child’s meal in cash, and save his/her TS/CS credits for another day?
Yes

Can my ten- or eleven-year-old order a child meal and "pay" for it with their (regular) Dining Plan credit?
While it may seem intuitive that they should, and generally at TS restaurants they can, word is that at CS restaurants that's not permitted, at this time, due to the changes implemented (see below).

The following quotes a message from a Disney Dining castmember, regarding changes coming to the Dining Plan as of 2007, relevant to the issues discussed in the several questions above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloGal
Beginning January 1st, all credits will be separated into adult vs child. At any given meal period (Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner) you will only be able to use the entitlements on your card (if it says 2A2C, then you get two adult and two kid's meals). ... You will not be allowed to buy dinners for a neighboring table because you have credits left. ... You get that as part of a package and package entitlements are non-transferrable. Just like you can't give extra days off of your ticket to your sister. You got them at a huge discount and you can't give them away.
BuffaloGal's entire message can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=17

Children's Meals and Character Meals Questions

Do character meals require 2TS credits?
Only Cinderella's is a 2TS meal. All other character meals are 1TS.

Are you only allowed to do one character meals per stay?
No you can go to one everyday of your vacation if you like.

What if I want to attend a character breakfast and have a sit-down meal the same day?
You can use the credits whenever you wish, including more than one meal on the same day.

Everything I've seen references ages 3-9 for children. What if there is a child under 3 on the reservation? Do you just pay OOP for them?
Children under 3 years old may share from a parent's plate, as desired. In the case of buffets and other all-you-can-eat options, this is like getting that very young child's meals for free. At other restaurants and eateries, you can still, of course, share your food with your child, but if you want anything else for your child, you would have to pay for it separately.

Some guests have reported that they were allowed to purchase the young child Dining Plan (normally for children 3-9 years old) for their very young child (under age 3). However, in turn, they had to purchase the child a park ticket as well.

I understand that where there is no child menu, children can order off the regular menu. Which CS locations do not have a separate child menu?
• Catalina Eddie
• Taluca Turkey Legs
• Cool Wash Pizza
• Casey's
• Pete's Doggone Good dogs
• Pizza Planet
• Sommerfest
• Yorkshire County Fish Shop
Main Street Bakery

"Is the Dining Plan right for me?" Questions

Is the package a good deal?
The answer to this question depends on you and your family. You need to determine how much you save doing your trip with and without the plan. For some, it is a better deal to get the discounts, but for others, the food expense is greater than the amount saved. You need to review the list of participating restaurants and try to set up a sample meal plan for your trip. Make sure to include all your snacks, drinks, tax and tip. Try to compare apples to apples. Make out your list showing where you would eat if on the plan. Then compare where you would eat if not on the plan, but were still able to eat what you wanted. Then compare that with how you would eat if Disney did not have this plan at all.

Doesn’t this plan force me to stick to a schedule?
You can look at it that way, but others like knowing that they have a reservation made at a certain restaurant for a certain time. You can always call and cancel the reservation when you are on site and change your mind.
Miscellaneous Questions

Is this the same as the DDE card I keep reading about?
No, it is not the same thing. The Disney Dining Experience is a dining discount program for eligible Florida residents and annual passholders, 21 and older, which provides a 20 percent discount on food and beverages (including alcoholic beverages) at a number of Walt Disney World Resort hotel and theme park restaurants and lounges. Click here for a great thread that explains DDE.

Is the Dining Plan valid for the Food and Wine Festival?
Use of snack credits for F&W items was allowed in 2006. Click here for a list of the items that were available.

RobinB has created spreadsheet to help you with your planning. It tracks the total number of Counter Service and Table Service Credits, each meal for every day of the plan (up to 11, the maximum), the restaurants for each meal and how many credits used for each meal. It then calculates how many credits you have remaining so you can adjust your meal schedule to use all your credits. Mouse Eared Kiwi has created a spreadsheet of Restaurants Ranked By Value Per Credit. You can access these spreadsheets and learn more about them, here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=12294810

I have a question... Are you allowed to get the premium package or the platinum package if you are a DVC member or are you only allowed to add the deluxe and regular DDP?

You mention Raglan Road in your original post, but I don't see it listed as a participating restaurant.....am I mistaken?

Restaurants are still signing contracts with Disney. At this point, assume if they participate now, they will participate in 2008.

DVC'ers can add the DDP and the Deluxe DDP. The Premium and Platinum plan are not available for DVC'ers.

I know the DDP is $37.99, and I thought I have read some where that the Deluxe plan is $69.99 (please correct me if I am wrong), but how much is the Premium Plan and the Platinum Plan?

The premium and platinum plan are not add-ons to a package. They are packages. There is a link above to information regarding the packages. You do need to get a quote to price it out, as far as I know.

... at least we should have the choice! I'm shocked by this considering everything in the media about how obese America is and our children... and the skyrocketing rates of Type 2 Diabetes.

I feel very strongly that the person should get to choose whether they want an appetizer OR a dessert. Would anyone else agree???

It isn't a matter of agree versus disagree. Of course a guest would want to have the ability to dictate what they receive, rather than having to accept what is offered. Having a choice is more valuable than not having a choice. However, consequently, more value mean higher price, and part of the objective of these changes is evidently to keep the price low, while having the price better reflect the actual value delivered. We've discussed before how it is likely that people who want an appetizer are more likely to pay for it in cash as compared to dessert (since many people would prefer to wait a while after dinner, and then take advantage of much lower priced desserts found at kiosks), so the restaurant is therefore better off offering the dessert.

wow bicker, that is a brilliant answer! thank you, I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why they would make that particular change. and your explanation makes perfect sense!
also thanks to pumbaa for putting this thread together, it is very helpful. this will be our first time doing the DDP and we made our decisions based on studying the old one and now we're scrambling trying to understand the changes so this really helps.
thanx again :hippie:
aunt read

Expect to see the additions to the list made before the end of December.

The premium and platinum plan are not add-ons to a package. They are packages. There is a link above to information regarding the packages. You do need to get a quote to price it out, as far as I know.
Jody, the links above do not answer the question of the price of the Deluxe DDP.

The links above only take you to packages that Dreams Unlimited is selling which include room, park tickets for each day (not required by Disney), and the Deluxe DDP. There's no way to extrapolate the Deluxe DDP price from the info given. I have no doubt Dreams Unlimited would love people to call for quotes, but the info does not answer the question.

The actual per-night price for adults and kids would be a welcome addition to your FAQ, and would eliminate a lot of guessing and misinformation.

I found the prices (somewhere else :eek: ) The deluxe plan is $69.99 adult and $19.99 for kids 3-9.

I just used southwest vacation site to get a quote for room & tickets. When I added DDP I was quoted $232 for an adult and $146 for a child for a 6 night stay which is about $38/day for an adult and $24/day for a child. The child price is alot more then the 9.99 price listed in the first message of this thread. Is the price based on room ocpunnecy ? Can I add DDP myself and get the 9.99/day for a child and 37.99/day for an adult ?

Premium package is about $150/night for adults, Platinum is $199/night for adults.

The premium and platinum packages also include tip, as well as sporting activities (water mice, horseback riding, parasailing...). They aren't merely dining packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter