2008 Buffet tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you THINK is not FACT. :rolleyes:

Perhaps someone else can explain it to you in a manner that you will understand. Read your post- if the Disney Union, who represents employees, feels that there is a difference, I will respect their belief that a difference exists, not what you "think" based upon the few servers you allegedly know.

Sure, bold the one time I say the word think. Here ya go, I'll make it easy for you.

FACT: Non signature restaurants and buffets have the same rules for servers as to the max number of seats they can serve.

FACT: Disney says tipping should be the same for non-buffets as well as buffets.

I simply don't understand why anyone would tip differently at a buffet than at any other TS restaurant. :confused3 In fact I never heard this crazy tip only 10% at buffets until I read this board. And, yes I know people constantly quote their sources for this info.

The only buffet I eat at EVER, is Cape May Cafe. Our servers have always done just as much work, if not more than our servers at TS locations. They come over constantly to clear plates. At TS locations they bring out the food one time. At both they re-fill drinks. So, why would you tip less at a Disney buffet?? I am just not getting this at all.

Sure, bold the one time I say the word think. Here ya go, I'll make it easy for you.

FACT: Non signature restaurants and buffets have the same rules for servers as to the max number of seats they can serve.

FACT: Disney says tipping should be the same for non-buffets as well as buffets.

Where is the source for your information? Please provide a link and I shall consider it.

Also, as you have avoided answering in the past, if Disney SAID you should tip 25%, would you do it?

I simply don't understand why anyone would tip differently at a buffet than at any other TS restaurant. :confused3 In fact I never heard this crazy tip only 10% at buffets until I read this board. And, yes I know people constantly quote their sources for this info.

The only buffet I eat at EVER, is Cape May Cafe. Our servers have always done just as much work, if not more than our servers at TS locations. They come over constantly to clear plates. At TS locations they bring out the food one time. At both they re-fill drinks. So, why would you tip less at a Disney buffet?? I am just not getting this at all.

Well... just cite me an etiquette source where it states that buffet servers should be tipped at the same level as table service. I have cited Emily Post, Good Housekeeping and tipping.*rg for the position that 10% is standard. I don't understand the *Disney exception.

Where is the source for your information? Please provide a link and I shall consider it.

BuffaloGal said it. She said up to 24 seats for buffets, but only 16 for signature restaurants.

Also, as you have avoided answering in the past, if Disney SAID you should tip 25%, would you do it?

When it rome, do as the romans. If I was in Japan(not Epcot, I'm talking about the real one), and told it was customary to remove my shoes, I would do so.

if Disney SAID you should tip 25%, would you do it?.

I would if that was the norm at the time. I have seen and been with way to many people who feel the tip should be in the meal price so will only tip a dollar or two. Well if they add the 18% to the bill then it is included in the price of the meal.

BuffaloGal said it. She said up to 24 seats for buffets, but only 16 for signature restaurants.

you previously posted: "Non signature restaurants and buffets have the same rules for servers as to the max number of seats they can serve."

Unfortunately for you, Buffalogal's posts did not indicate this.

When it rome, do as the romans. If I was in Japan(not Epcot, I'm talking about the real one), and told it was customary to remove my shoes, I would do so.

If you can't formulate your own opinion, and are merely relying on what Disney tells you, then you have nothing to add to this discussion. It's called independent thinking. Your analogy is also misplaced and would only move this discussion off-topic.

I'd still like if someone can really explain what exactly the buffet servers do that equals what TS servers do. I still cannot figure it out. I read the earlier posts, but almost all of it seems like what TS servers do - greeting the table within a certain time frame, getting and refilling drinks, explaining the food, clearing plates. Yes, at least at all the TS I visited, servers there cleared plates too - they'd remove the bread plates, remove the appetizer plates, removed the main entree plates. That's three plate removals per chair right there. All those other rules - the way the drink napkin is placed, the way the straw is placed, pouring coffee, etc -those would apply across the board I would think.

I just don't get it - if both types of servers are doing all those things and the non-buffet TS server is also taking orders for 3+ courses and delivering 3+ courses, how are they not doing more work? Are people referring to what happens AFTER a patron leaves? Do buffet servers clear and reset all the tables? In a regular TS, who does that - is it a busperson? I honestly don't know. Does the busperson reset for the next guest? AND, if it is a busperson - then aren't the TS servers giving a portion of their tips to that person? And the buffet server who does that themselves (IF That is the case, as I said, I honestly don't know) gets to keep Their Entire tip? Is that right?

I still don't think clearing a table after patrons leave (if in fact buffet servers do that and TS servers do not) equals all the other work TS servers do that buffet servers do not. Plus (if this is right) that TS servers have to tip out to the buspeople for the only thing they do not do. So, even with 18% tip -they're not keeping all of that, right? But any tip a buffet server gets - be it 10% or 18%, they keep all of that?

So, is it possible, for DDE parties, 6+, etc- That 2 meals priced exactly the same (for comparison purposes) at a buffet and a non-buffet. The server gets 18% at both places, which would be the exact same $ amount. Does the buffet server keep it all while the non-buffet TS server has to tip out? Is that possible? If so, it just does NOT seem right.

I'm really having a hard time understanding the logic!

Oh, and please correct me if any of the above assumptions are wrong, because after I leave the table - I honestly don't know who is doing what!

For this reason, I consider a server's comment on the issue of tipping to be less persuasive than a non-Disney server. (It's kind of like Congress voting on pay raises for themselves). I'm sure you can respect that. However, I do consider your comments to be fair, for the most part.

I think, what it boils down to is, we all feel we have the right to evaluate the service we receive and tip accordingly. We may have different standards as far as gratuities go, but it should be EARNED, not automatically given. An experienced restaurant worker will know that the percentage will fluctuate, but it all works out in the end.

This is not the debate board folks. If people want to debate with each other, do it in PM's.

I often read the discussion here on these boards regarding tipping at buffet vs TS. For my family it will not be 18% at a buffet. PERIOD We do dine with 3 children (1 who is a freebie) who will invariably be messy, which I clean up as much as possible, but it comes down to the bottom line for ME, not my server. Although I realize this is WDW not the local mama's buffet, we save our $$ for many months to make our trips possible. Someone may argue that if I can't pay the tip I shouldn't dine there, but we work and save to make our trips possible and paying an extra $20 to the sever for the bill is alot to take for me. I am not wealthy, we live on a budget, a $20 tip is a meal at McD's x2 on some days if I have coupons! I feel 10% is very generous when I am paying 3x more for my meal already than what I do at whatever mama's buffet you want to consider. If it is the drink refills that throws them over the top, point me in the direction of the self serve drink machine,:drinking1 I am always a little worried when the drink comes back to me along with the guys form the next table anyways::eek:
This argument will never be settled here, I read it time and time again. I do read to stay informed and if the situation arises when my buffet server is far and above, he/she will receive more but my bottom line is my $$. I also will argue to the end for the rock bottom price on my vehicles I buy, I do not pay what the suggested retail is just because it is there(liken to WDW sugg 18%)

I believe the math is simple, (Disney's formula) More Buffet chairs(vs less chairs at a TS )less duty to handle (at a Buffet):hippie:

you previously posted: "Non signature restaurants and buffets have the same rules for servers as to the max number of seats they can serve."

Unfortunately for you, Buffalogal's posts did not indicate this.

Its called I know its the truth. Don't believe me, send her a PM.

I'd still like if someone can really explain what exactly the buffet servers do that equals what TS servers do. I still cannot figure it out.

This will get long, but if ya want details....

For both servers(menu and buffet) they greet the tables just the same.

The menu server grabs a drink order, and goes to get it. He drops off the drinks, and answers any questions about the menu. He then takes the order, and enters it into the computer. If there is an app, he has about 6-8 minutes to kill until thats ready. If not, he has about 15-20 to kill until the order is up. During this 6 or 20 minute time period he should probably take a glance at his table one for the 6 minute people, twice for the 15 minute people to see if they need drinks. They can easily ask a fellow server to do so while they chill out of view. If there is an app, drop it off, and then check back 2 minutes later to see how its tastes. Remove plates when done. Same for the meals. Drop them off, wait 2 minutes, and then ask how it tastes. Another glance halfway into the meal to see if refills are needed. Remove any finishes plates as needed. Once most are done, ask about desert. If so, go get it, if not, drop off the check. You have to keep in mind, he is probably going though this same routine with 2-3 other tables, all at different paces. One is getting sat, one is getting their meal, one is waiting for desert, and one is waiting to pay.

The buffet server explains how the buffet is laid out, where certain things are, etc. He gets a drink order, and goes to get it. He drops off the drink, probably to an empty table. He stops by a minute later to make sure they all found some yummy food. A couple minutes later he stops by again(maybe just walking by) and removes any plates if necessary. This happens many times over. He asks how the salad was, how the meat tastes, if they liked the soup, how the cake was, etc. You know, basic small talk. Drinks are refilled as needed. He drops the check off when needed. Remember, the buffet server has this routine going on at 3-4 other tables as well. One table might be waiting to be greeted, one has dirty salad plates to be removed, one is waiting on refills to wash down a spicy sauce, one is waiting on clean spoons for desert, and one is waiting to pay.

Basically both servers make the same circle, from the drink area, to their tables, to the dish area, and repeat. The slight difference is the menu server has to swing by the kitchen(normally right next to the dish area) to check on the app/meal/desert. Most restaurant have food runner, so if a server is greeting a new tables, while another tables app is ready,the food runner takes it out. The menu server has the advantage here. They know the meal isn't out yet, so they don't have to worry about the guest needing new napkins/forks/steak sauce. At buffet server, at just one table, can have all their people eating at difference paces. Mom wants another side of a special dressing not on the buffet, dad needs steak sauce, and littly jimmy is already on desert and needs a new spoon.

I just don't get it - if both types of servers are doing all those things and the non-buffet TS server is also taking orders for 3+ courses and delivering 3+ courses, how are they not doing more work? Are people referring to what happens AFTER a patron leaves? Do buffet servers clear and reset all the tables? In a regular TS, who does that - is it a busperson?

A buffet server removes 3 plates, just as a menu server removes 3 plates. They are equal in that sense. From what I've seen/heard, disney is getting away from having bussers. Both types of server have to clear the table, wipe it down, and reset it.

I still don't think clearing a table after patrons leave (if in fact buffet servers do that and TS servers do not) equals all the other work TS servers do that buffet servers do not. Plus (if this is right) that TS servers have to tip out to the buspeople for the only thing they do not do. So, even with 18% tip -they're not keeping all of that, right? But any tip a buffet server gets - be it 10% or 18%, they keep all of that?

If there are bussers(for either type of server) the server tips them out pretty well. If the server made $150 in tips, maybe $30-40 for the busser. Both servers also have to tip out their bartender.

So, is it possible, for DDE parties, 6+, etc- That 2 meals priced exactly the same (for comparison purposes) at a buffet and a non-buffet. The server gets 18% at both places, which would be the exact same $ amount. Does the buffet server keep it all while the non-buffet TS server has to tip out? Is that possible? If so, it just does NOT seem right.

I'm really having a hard time understanding the logic!

Oh, and please correct me if any of the above assumptions are wrong, because after I leave the table - I honestly don't know who is doing what!

Yes, both servers get 18%. How much the server really gets is all a matter of if they have a busser, food runner(for menu restaurants), and a bartender. I'm sure it could go both ways. I know Ohanas is one of the few places that has bussers. Those servers are tipping out a decent chuck to the busser, and then also some to the bartender.

Any other questions, just ask.

I believe the math is simple, More Buffet chairs less duty to handle:hippie:

Um, what? More chairs means more work no matter it buffet or menu.

It also means more in tips at a location that turns faster (buffet), but that logic keeps getting missed by you.

By me, using facts. Buffet tables stay just as long as menu tables, and signature restaurants excluded, both server have the same number of tables. Ask a buffet server how long guest stay, and they'll tell you, "about an hour." Yes, one table might be in and out in 30 minutes, but at the same time, there are buffet guests who stay 90 minutes, 2 hours, I've heard of 4.5 hours before.

(For example purposes ONLY - this is in NO way an attempt to convince anyone to change the % they tip...)

Okay, a very quick search shows $28.99/$13.99 as the most expensive (non-holiday) price for a Disney buffet.

($28.99 x 2) + ($13.99 x 2) = $85.96
$85.96 x 10% = $8.59
$85.96 x 15% = $12.89
$85.96 x 18% = $15.47
$85.96 x 20% = $17.19

For a tip to be $20 above the 10% amount, the diner would be tipping 33% - likely appreciated by the server, but not the standard or expected rate anywhere. Plus, there's an amazing difference between tipping $20, and tipping an extra $20 (as referenced in the post above).

Again (at least, I think I've said it before), Guests with parties of five or fewer who are not invoking the DDE discount will continue to be able to determine the tip on their own, despite Disney's recommendations.

Also, imo, the restaurant owner's determination of assignment of work station is not MY concern. I don't think many of us - including me - actually realize how much work is involved in being a buffet server.

By me, using facts. Buffet tables stay just as long as menu tables, and signature restaurants excluded, both server have the same number of tables. Ask a buffet server how long guest stay, and they'll tell you, "about an hour." Yes, one table might be in and out in 30 minutes, but at the same time, there are buffet guests who stay 90 minutes, 2 hours, I've heard of 4.5 hours before.

Because the food is ready when they arrive, it stands to reason that a buffet meal takes less time. No time looking at menus, no waiting while the meal is prepared, etc...etc.. But I guess logic takes a backseat in your world.

Because the food is ready when they arrive, it stands to reason that a buffet meal takes less time. No time looking at menus, no waiting while the meal is prepared, etc...etc.. But I guess logic takes a backseat in your world.

Your logic would be correct for an outsides. From someone who has many friends working the buffets, and I myself have eaten at about everyone one, I can tell you thats not 100% correct. Stop in, and ask any disney buffet server. I dare ya!

People like to rest a couple minutes after finishing a plate before going for more. Mom will wait until Dad is ready to go up, and they will go together.

sandym718 said:
So, is it possible, for DDE parties, 6+, etc- That 2 meals priced exactly the same (for comparison purposes) at a buffet and a non-buffet. The server gets 18% at both places, which would be the exact same $ amount.
Well, no. At least, not necessarily. In this case, while the rate of the service charge, the table service server still tends to get a higher dollar amount. At a buffet, there is one price for all the food - appetizer to dessert to beverage - and the only possible 'upsell' for the buffet server would be alcoholic beverages. Table service, you've got each individual course priced separately, and likely costing the diner more overall than the buffet. And so, earning the server a higher dollar amount.

So what, there food is ready when they get there, by your argument they would do that at both (TS-buffet), but the buffet there is no waiting so they come in, get there food, take a break and move on, there still isnt the order/prep wait. You constantly go back to the 'I have friends that....... and completely ignore Logic. Apparently people are resting for 4 1/2 hours at H & V after their meal if your to be believed. Your arguments continue to be rediculous!

On the other hand, because it IS a buffet, people may tend to stay longer and eat more, because there are more choices, or even just to 'get their money's worth'. And, as just a guy points out, diners tend to sit between trips to the buffet. I know that while I don't wait until my stomach starts rumbling again (four and a half hours? really?), I don't jump up as soon as I've taken the last bite from the plate I have in front of me. Also, if the buffet has a carving station, there may be a line (meaning the diner takes longer to get back to the table, to start the next plate). Ditto for an omelet station.
And, just as at table service locations, diners at buffets tend to chat between bites/courses/plates. I can definitely see just a guy's point - some tables at buffets are occupied just as long as TS tables.

So what, there food is ready when they get there, by your argument they would do that at both (TS-buffet), but the buffet there is no waiting so they come in, get there food, take a break and move on, there still isnt the order/prep wait. You constantly go back to the 'I have friends that....... and completely ignore Logic. Apparently people are resting for 4 1/2 hours at H & V after their meal if your to be believed. Your arguments continue to be rediculous!

Whatever. Anything I saw, you will ignore it. Its called first hand experience. There is a reason disney thinks both servers deserve the same amount. They both do the same amount of work, have the same amount of chairs, and have their guests sit there just as long. Ignore me if you want, but ask any server on your next trip to a buffet, and they'll back me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter