2008 Buffet tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCFIREMAN

Jessica Rabbit fan
Will there be a tip added to buffet meals?

Do you tip at a buffet or do you feel its already in the price?

It is not included in the price automatically.

An 18% gratuity will be added to all parties of 6 or more at buffets as well as all parties (regardless of size) who use the DDE discount card. (This is the Disney standard for both buffets and regular sit down dining establishments)

For all others (parties of 5 or less not using the DDE card), it's up to you to leave a discretionary tip. Industry standard for buffets suggests that 10% is the norm. However Disney seems to suggest that the standard gratuity should be a minimum of 18% (otherwise they would not auto gratuity 18% to the parties mentioned above)

You will have an automatic 18% tip included on your bill at a buffet (or any Disney table service restaurant) if you are a party of 6 or more, use a DDE card (Disney dining experience).

If you pay cash, or use a dining plan, no tip is added to your total. However, there will be suggested tip values-18% and 20% of your total for you printed on your bill. At least according to a recent report on this board.

At any Disney buffet, the price of the meal does not include the tip. You you'd still have to tip.

I read a some website that it is customary to tip 10% (before taxes) at a buffet. Do a google search for tipping at buffets.

I read a some website that it is customary to tip 10% (before taxes) at a buffet. Do a google search for tipping at buffets.

this is what lines i was thinking along... i mean it's a buffet they bring the drinks... isn't that all???? Why pay 18% for that and pay the same 18% at a sit down dinner where order is taken, drinks, refills, desserts, ect... although my dh is a big tiper even in my mom's eyes and she's a waitress, if he sees a suggested tip and the service was good he'll leave over it regardless of what i have to say ... but this just doesn't seem right to me.

Must be that time of the week again. :sad2:

Yes there are several sites saying 10% for buffets. If you view the service at Golden Corral, and a Disney buffet such as Boma in the same view, then you may want to think again. Buffet servers at disney work just as hard as menu restaurant servers, if not harder. For that reason, disney says their buffer servers deserve the same time as a menu restaurant server, 15-20%.

Buffet servers at Disney probably work harder than at menu restaurants--not that the menu servers don't work hard. At a buffet there are more plates, and much more messes, that have to be cleaned up quickly to turn over the table for the next guest. I know I visit the buffet frequently and get a clean plate each time as I take a little bit of what I like. Its not unusual for me to have at least six plates: soup, salad, two trips for entree items, two trips for dessert. And everyone in my family drinks a lot of water. With four of us at one table that can be over 20 bowls/dishes if we like everything, and probably at least three glasses per person which are not always refilled, but brought fresh from the beverage station. Personally I hate to have a pitcher of liquid touch my glass, as it has probably touched 100 other glasses. In a restaurant I prefer a clean glass for each refill. Don't get that at the Golden Corral or Ponderosa.

Our local buffets such as Golden Corral or Ponderosa do not have service at the level of a Disney restaurant. When I go to a Disney buffet I don't see plates all over empty tables, and there is rarely a mess on the floor from a messy table. Someone is there to clean it up--and that person is paid by a tip.

So while 10% might be standard in some parts of the country, it is not standard at a Disney buffet.

Buffet servers at Disney probably work harder than at menu restaurants--not that the menu servers don't work hard. At a buffet there are more plates, and much more messes, that have to be cleaned up quickly to turn over the table for the next guest. I know I visit the buffet frequently and get a clean plate each time as I take a little bit of what I like. Its not unusual for me to have at least six plates: soup, salad, two trips for entree items, two trips for dessert. And everyone in my family drinks a lot of water. With four of us at one table that can be over 20 bowls/dishes if we like everything, and probably at least three glasses per person which are not always refilled, but brought fresh from the beverage station. Personally I hate to have a pitcher of liquid touch my glass, as it has probably touched 100 other glasses. In a restaurant I prefer a clean glass for each refill. Don't get that at the Golden Corral or Ponderosa.

Our local buffets such as Golden Corral or Ponderosa do not have service at the level of a Disney restaurant. When I go to a Disney buffet I don't see plates all over empty tables, and there is rarely a mess on the floor from a messy table. Someone is there to clean it up--and that person is paid by a tip.

So while 10% might be standard in some parts of the country, it is not standard at a Disney buffet.

:worship:

Thank you for spelling it out a bit better than I did. I was going to go into detail, but figured I would just wait until page 3 or 4. :lmao:

I guess the perspective does seem much much better and i do understand it much better thank YOU!!! although we've been to disney many times we have almost always done CS ... never a buffet at all. I think the only TS we went to was Cindy's and Garden Grill... So this is kind a whole learning experiacne!!!! ;)

Yes there are several sites saying 10% for buffets. If you view the service at Golden Corral, and a Disney buffet such as Boma in the same view, then you may want to think again. Buffet servers at disney work just as hard as menu restaurant servers, if not harder. For that reason, disney says their buffer servers deserve the same time as a menu restaurant server, 15-20%.

Would you mind explaining that a little bit more? I've been to both and can't recall how service at Disney is really any different. Are we talking about a new beverage glass for each refill??? I honestly don't recall the procedure for non-Disney buffets.

It also may be a little unfair to compare a Disney buffet to only Golden Corral or Ponderosa (as there seems to be a stigma atached to those). There are many national buffet chains as well as chinese buffets all over the country.

Would you mind explaining that a little bit more? I've been to both and can't recall how service at Disney is really any different. Are we talking about a new beverage glass for each refill??? I honestly don't recall the procedure for non-Disney buffets.

It also may be a little unfair to compare a Disney buffet to only Golden Corral or Ponderosa (as there seems to be a stigma atached to those). There are many national buffet chains as well as chinese buffets all over the country.

There are some servers at Disney that feel they deserve more than waitstaff at a "regular" buffet. They believe that their service....is much more superior than anyone elses. They even believe they do as much or more than those who work TS. I think this attitude is more than a little condescending to their peers. I'm not saying they don't work hard....it is some of the verbage I have difficulty with.

There was a server on another thread that works buffets at Disney. She sounds like an honest hard, working server, who loves her job. She was also happy with the $250 a night she averages in tips.

There was a server on another thread that works buffets at Disney. She sounds like an honest hard, working server, who loves her job. She was also happy with the $250 a night she averages in tips.

Yup, although she was at one of the better restaurants on property. That $250 figure is not common across property, and I believe she also mentioned that didn't include the money she tipped out to the bartender, and bussers.

I could not agree more. I think they work harder than an TS meal so should get the same type of tip.

I believe that the buffet in question, where she works, the adult dining price is $25.99. That's according to allearsnet.com. (Assuming that we're all talking about the same server who works at the same buffet)

The one that I remember from last week got $250 a night average, tipped out and still had $200 to take home at the end of the night. This was at Cape May Cafe. She sounded like a WONDERFUL server and really appreciated her job and her tips.

I believe that the buffet in question, where she works, the adult dining price is $25.99. That's according to allearsnet.com. (Assuming that we're all talking about the same server who works at the same buffet)

The one that I remember from last week got $250 a night average, tipped out and still had $200 to take home at the end of the night. This was at Cape May Cafe. She sounded like a WONDERFUL server and really appreciated her job and her tips.

I'm not so sure about that, her quote was "So what's the big deal if you pay the servers a few more dollars at a [Disney] buffet than you would at the Golden Corral at home?"

I have the actual earnings written down (and I will not repeat the exact figures), but she made at least that much and worked a 6.5 hour shift.

To the issue at hand, since people are paying double at a Dinsey buffet than a non-Disney buffet (where the servers get 10%), aren't the Disney servers already the beneficiary of a "larger" tip? If you start paying 18-20%, they are receiving about 4 times as much than a non-Disney server (and I don't see 4 times the amount of "service').

Do what is comfortable for you.
It's really that simple.
If the service is poor at a sit down, uh, ts, restaurant, reduce the amount you leave.
Rewarding poor service invites repetition of the poor service.
But, regardless of where you are, TS or buffet, reward the service not the location.
And, if you are having counter service, maybe in line for an ice cream cone, and the person serving you smiles and is thoughtful, say Thank You. These people work hard too.

I have the actual earnings written down (and I will not repeat the exact figures), but she made at least that much and worked a 6.5 hour shift.

If you want to drag in more details, she probably only works two days a week. Thats how disney treats their servers. They stopped firing full time servers about 5-10 years ago. Lets pretend a full timer works 6 shifts a week. Common sense would be to simply hire 2 part timers instead of a full timer, right? Nope. Disney will hire 3, maybe 4 part timers, and give them 1-2 shifts a week only(more if people call in sick, you cover for Sally for has a doctors appointment, etc). The more you spread out the work load, the easier it is for them to fire someone for whatever reason, and have no problem with finding someone to cover their spot.

Yeah for corporate america. :sad2:

Why don't the servers who.....have such a terrible, low-paying, unsatisfying job and hates Disney...quit working there. That would leave an opening for someone who wants a good job. These servers give that ones who are satisfied with their positions a bad name. Is that how you want people on this board to view the Dis waitstaff? As ungrateful, disgruntled employees, that don't even like most of the guests? Probably not, but that is how it comes off to many of us.

I usually tip according to the disposition of my server and not always on the service. I know sometimes there are things beyond their control, but if they really try hard...this server is more likely to get a big tip from me.....regardless where they work.i.e. TS, buffet or CS

Why don't the servers who.....have such a terrible, low-paying, unsatisfying job and hates Disney...quit working there. That would leave an opening for someone who wants a good job. These servers give that ones who are satisfied with their positions a bad name. Is that how you want people on this board to view the Dis waitstaff? As ungrateful, disgruntled employees, that don't even like most of the guests? Probably not, but that is how it comes off to many of us.

***? Where did that come from?

Someone stated a disney server makes $250 a night. I'm simply letting people know that amount is not average for all restaurants across property. I was also letting people know your average disney server doesn't work 5 nights a week. I don't want the general public here thinking disney server make 100K a year, and drive lambos and ferraris to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter