2008 Buffet tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
***? Where did that come from?

Someone stated a disney server makes $250 a night. I'm simply letting people know that amount is not average for all restaurants across property. I was also letting people know your average disney server doesn't work 5 nights a week. I don't want the general public here thinking disney server make 100K a year, and drive lambos and ferraris to work.

Actually, it was a Disney server that stated that orignally.....and $250 X 5 nights = $1250 X 52 = $65K per year. That wouldn't surprise me for a full time position at WDW in a good location. I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's all the whining and complaining about the lousy, cheap guests who don't appreciate the waitstaff that I take issue with.

Do what is comfortable for you.It's really that simple.
If the service is poor at a sit down, uh, ts, restaurant, reduce the amount you leave.
Rewarding poor service invites repetition of the poor service.
But, regardless of where you are, TS or buffet, reward the service not the location.
And, if you are having counter service, maybe in line for an ice cream cone, and the person serving you smiles and is thoughtful, say Thank You. These people work hard too.

I would like to have the opportunity, but I will get hit with the 18% service charge, err....., I mean tip, err..... I mean automatic gratuity. YEAH, THAT'S IT!

The OP asked a simple question and it has come down to the same argument with many of the same participants.

The person is question has asked for her personal information to be removed and it was. Let's respoect that. IN addition, if you recall the post, she is a seasonal worker and only works a few shifts a year. I do not think that should be treated as the new standard.

Disney does not treat their buffet ts any different than their other TS. It is classified as TS. The same gratuity is in place regardless of where you dine if you are a party of 6 or more or use the DDE card. That sends a very strong message that they consider all TS in the same vein, and at a resort destination, that is not unusual.

:laundy:

If you want to drag in more details, she probably only works two days a week. Thats how disney treats their servers. They stopped firing full time servers about 5-10 years ago. Lets pretend a full timer works 6 shifts a week. Common sense would be to simply hire 2 part timers instead of a full timer, right? Nope. Disney will hire 3, maybe 4 part timers, and give them 1-2 shifts a week only(more if people call in sick, you cover for Sally for has a doctors appointment, etc). The more you spread out the work load, the easier it is for them to fire someone for whatever reason, and have no problem with finding someone to cover their spot.

Yeah for corporate america. :sad2:

Could you at least get the proper facts before you "drag" them into this conversation??? The server in question stated the following: "To answer your other question, full-time buffet servers work about 30-40 hours a week."

Your hypothesis and speculation is completely inaccurate!!!

It is quite tiresome when you, and others, simply make up facts and/or scenarios to support your position.

The OP asked a simple question and it has come down to the same argument with many of the same participants.

The person is question has asked for her personal information to be removed and it was. Let's respoect that. IN addition, if you recall the post, she is a seasonal worker and only works a few shifts a year. I do not think that should be treated as the new standard.

Disney does not treat their buffet ts any different than their other TS. It is classified as TS. The same gratuity is in place regardless of where you dine if you are a party of 6 or more or use the DDE card. That sends a very strong message that they consider all TS in the same vein, and at a resort destination, that is not unusual.

:laundy:

The person in question gave information to both herself and the typical server. If that is not “the new standard,” what is? Do you have reason to doubt that full-time buffet servers work 30-40 hours per week and do not make the wages that have been cited? This issue is certainly worthy of discussion.

OY VEY!

I have kept quiet to keep my sanity, but reading the misinformation on this site is driving me insane anyway.

The average Disney server DOES NOT take home $200+ a night. The location that was cited is one the higher end of Disney locations. To get in as a full time server at that location, a server would likely have to have 20+ years with the company. After 20+ years with the company, I don't begrudge anyone $200 or more a shift. I have worked at Signature, hard menu ts, family style ts, and character family style ts all over property. My absolute average for these locations as a part-time server was probably $150 per shift. It is fairly easy to get a part-time job in a desireable location. And, Just a guy is correct, part-time servers are only guaranteed one shift per week. I was recently lucky enough to snag a full-time position. It's relatively low key and lower paying location. My average here is about $90 per shift and the shifts are long. Those are the types of locations that full-time positions open up. I'm doing what I need to do to get benefits for my family and to make it possible for both my husband and I to continue to "make magic". I don't personally know a single server who is driving a Ferarri. Most of us drive used Saturns and Toyotas or other similar vehicles. Before you all jump on me and tell me that I must be a horrible server, let me say that my tip-per-table average is above 20%. Disney made me a trainer after less than a year with the company. (That's pretty unheard of for a server.... in fact, being part time and a trainer is pretty unheard of for a server) I have waited on a handful of you and one Diser even wrote a letter to Lee Cockrell on my behalf. I am not a bad server. OH, and I love my job. I love to see that way a little girl's face lights up when I call her princess or making a family that was having a less than magical day laugh with a few jokes.
What you tip is your decision, but making that decision based on the assumption that servers are making even $65000 a year without years and years of seniority is not right.
Here are some real facts that will help you decide what you tip.....
Disney server sections run between 16 and 24 chairs each. The higher maintainance a restaurant, the fewer chairs. Signature is 16 or fewer. Buffets are 24 or fewer. Most of the time, you are lucky to get 75% chair occupancy. You can figure approximately 3 turns on those chairs in an average shift. 4 if you are really running your butt to keep things moving. 4 turns on all of those chairs is unlikely. 18% on an adult family style or buffet meal (dinner hour)is about $5 per body. $2.50 for a child. 24 chairs at 75% occupancy is 18 guests. You can figure that at least a 3rd of those are children. I won't even factor in infants. So, at 18%, you have $75 per turn. That's before I tip out my assistant. Bar drinks are practically a wash. We tip out 10% of our beverage check to the bartender. 5-8% of my $100 in bar drinks per night doesn't get me very far. These stats are for one of the busiest locations on property. Not Park Fare, Chef Mickey, or CRT busy, but still one of the busiest. Bottom rung of the seniority ladder at this location for a full time server was something like 9 years.

So, here's a summary:
1.) Most Disney servers are making about $150 per night.
2.) Those who make more are either extremely part time or have a lot of seniority.
3.) A lot of Disney servers (roughly each resort has a "low key restaurant") are making appx $100 per shift or less.

Buffet servers who provide good service (and I dine on property about a dozen nights a year, so I know that some don't) deserve that 18%. They have years of experience and knowledge and many of them have done just about every type of service on property. If they act like a Golden Corral server, by all means, treat them like one.

OK, now where is the smiley wearing a flame suit????

Must be that time of the week again. :sad2:

Yes there are several sites saying 10% for buffets. If you view the service at Golden Corral, and a Disney buffet such as Boma in the same view, then you may want to think again. Buffet servers at disney work just as hard as menu restaurant servers, if not harder. For that reason, disney says their buffer servers deserve the same time as a menu restaurant server, 15-20%.

must be - but no way was the service at Crystal Palace deserving of ANY tip - no refills on drinks, no pick up of plates, and an extra wait for our bill -

now the CM at H&V - she got more than 20% - she took the time to make our meal magical!! DD was in a "mood" and not only did she go out of her way to come to our table to sit and talk with dd on more than one occassion, but she was always ready with refills and taking plates!!

so again, if you define "TIP" and we then place money accordingly, it cannot be MANDATORY - period.

but, I know the debate, Ive read, and appreciated the CM's that come in and give us their perspective - its the language of "TIP and MANDATORY" that is upsetting! for me anyway. Just not a pleasant way to start or end a meal!!

I will track down a manager and demand it taken off my bill if I get rude service like I got at Tonys - or what I read from a poster at Raglan Road - those are the exceptions imho

the Server at H&V that is much more my experiences at Disney!!

I'm not so sure about that, her quote was "So what's the big deal if you pay the servers a few more dollars at a [Disney] buffet than you would at the Golden Corral at home?"

I have the actual earnings written down (and I will not repeat the exact figures), but she made at least that much and worked a 6.5 hour shift.

To the issue at hand, since people are paying double at a Dinsey buffet than a non-Disney buffet (where the servers get 10%), aren't the Disney servers already the beneficiary of a "larger" tip? If you start paying 18-20%, they are receiving about 4 times as much than a non-Disney server (and I don't see 4 times the amount of "service').

Yeah, what they said!:thumbsup2

LexPlayer said:
Could you at least get the proper facts before you "drag" them into this conversation??? The server in question stated the following: "To answer your other question, full-time buffet servers work about 30-40 hours a week."
On the other hand, that poster did not specify that there ARE many (if any) full-time buffet servers.

BuffaloGal said:
Before you all jump on me and tell me that I must be a horrible server
I can state unequivocally that this poster is the best server I've encountered at Walt Disney World in years.
So, here's a summary:
And, as you and just a guy have pointed out, there are very few full-time servers. While $100 or $150 a night sounds great, it's not as if many of them are working five-plus shifts a week.

kscottiemom said:
But, regardless of where you are, TS or buffet, reward the service not the location.
That's a wonderful (and completely sensible) recommendation!!!!

The person in question gave information to both herself and the typical server.
But as was posted in that thread by that poster, and reinforced here - the poster in question works one or two shifts at a time, and is a seasonal Cast Member. It's not as if she's earning that amount times five nights a week times fifty weeks.

The thing is... I usually tip at least 20%....even at Sonic. You must have a really bad attitude, along with terrible service to not get at least that from me. The attitude is what gets to me the most.

I tip according to service. If the server can't be found, plates are stacking up, and our glasses are empty, the tip reflects it. If he/she wants a better tip, then stop flirting with the other servers and do your job. That was one experience we had at WDW that stands out in my mind. If the food isn't right, that isn't necessarily the server's fault. We had one particular server at Mama Melrose's that we saw exactly twice during our meal. When he took our orders and when he brought our bill. Three differnent times, we flagged down three other servers for refills, etc. He got a penny. He was in another section where we could see him, flirting with a table full of girls. We also told the manager.

Here are some real facts that will help you decide what you tip.....
Disney server sections run between 16 and 24 chairs each.
The higher maintainance a restaurant, the fewer chairs. Signature is 16 or fewer. Buffets are 24 or fewer.
Most of the time, you are lucky to get 75% chair occupancy. You can figure approximately 3 turns on those chairs in an average shift. 4 if you are really running your butt to keep things moving. 4 turns on all of those chairs is unlikely. 18% on an adult family style or buffet meal (dinner hour)is about $5 per body. $2.50 for a child. 24 chairs at 75% occupancy is 18 guests. You can figure that at least a 3rd of those are children. I won't even factor in infants. So, at 18%, you have $75 per turn. That's before I tip out my assistant. Bar drinks are practically a wash. We tip out 10% of our beverage check to the bartender. 5-8% of my $100 in bar drinks per night doesn't get me very far. These stats are for one of the busiest locations on property. Not Park Fare, Chef Mickey, or CRT busy, but still one of the busiest. Bottom rung of the seniority ladder at this location for a full time server was something like 9 years.

So, here's a summary:
1.) Most Disney servers are making about $150 per night.
2.) Those who make more are either extremely part time or have a lot of seniority.
3.) A lot of Disney servers (roughly each resort has a "low key restaurant") are making appx $100 per shift or less.

I want to thank you for providing us this information, I appreciate your input. I do have a question, however. You indicate that Disney assigns not more than 24 seats for buffet servers, yet only a maximum of 18 seats to table service servers. If I interpret your post correctly, buffet servers have more seats assigned because there is less "maintenance." If that is the case, isn't it reasonable to conclude that buffet servers provide less "service" to the patrons? [If not, why are they given more seats?]

Would you mind explaining that a little bit more? ...
It also may be a little unfair to compare a Disney buffet to only Golden Corral or Ponderosa (as there seems to be a stigma attached to those....

I agree...you have to remember that the tip increases even if the percentage remains the same -- because the price being tipped a percentage of is significantly higher.

10% of a $12.00 buffet with a party of 4 is only $4.80.

10% of a $30.00 buffet with a party of 4 is $12.00.

Even with keeping the same 10% at 2 different places, there is a significant increase in the gratuity because the price is significantly higher.

Personally I generally tip between 15% - 20% or higher for table service and between 10% - 20% for buffet service depending on the service -- where ever I happen to be.

I def. tip at a buffet but not as much as a restaurant where my food is brought to me.

I think if the average server is making $150/ night...that's pretty good!

I want to thank you for providing us this information, I appreciate your input. I do have a question, however. You indicate that Disney assigns not more than 24 seats for buffet servers, yet only a maximum of 18 seats to table service servers. If I interpret your post correctly, buffet servers have more seats assigned because there is less "maintenance." If that is the case, isn't it reasonable to conclude that buffet servers provide less "service" to the patrons? [If not, why are they given more seats?]

The 18 number is roughly the number of seats a server can expect to be filled at any given seating.... if they are at the Disney Maximum of 24 chairs. 16 is the number of seats in a section at most Signature restaurants. I have, personally, never worked in a buffet location in WDW. In the TS restaurants that I have worked at (hard menu places), I usually have around 20 chairs (it fluctuates depending upon the number of servers on the floor). At the Family style location, some of the sections are 24 chairs. It is, by far, the most difficult location that I work. (and one that Disers are VERY critical of servers at) You just run and run and run. I know that servers that have transferred from buffets are generally displeased with the family style location due to the amount of work there for roughly the same return. All that said, as an avid WDW diner (probably 75 meals under my belt....lol... literally), I can say that there have been five instances where I would have left less than 18%, if it weren't beyond my control. (Cast discount is always gratted and my vacations before becoming a CM were always DDP) Two were at buffets. Two were at the same TS location (which is no longer open). The final one was an operating participant. 3 of those 5 times, I paid the grat but spoke with a manager. That usually gets you the farthest, as far as getting a server "chatted with". The other two, I just paid it and left. I've tipped on top of the 18% about 50% of the times that we've eaten on property. At buffets, specifically, I've gotten service where I have tipped on top of the gratuity at Chef Mickey's breakfast, 1900 Park Fare dinner, Trails End Buffet, & Crystal Palace. Each time that I tipped on top of the gratuity at these buffets, I knew full well that those servers make more than I do working for the same company (and about 3x what my hubby makes in his non-tipped position), doing the same thing..... but they made magic for my family. The job is hard. Physically, emotionally, and mentally. The emotions of people run very hard when they are overtired and overstimulated. It's like serving Bipolar people all day long. (not being critical of all of you, just my observation... and my own experience.... hubby and I have had some doozy fights while on vacations) But a lot of us love it. Hopefully, you will all experience the magic that many of us try to provide.

Buffalogal, who doesnt have a tough job? I appreciate that you take great care of your customers, but it seems that its always the servers on here who want that 18% or higher at a buffet. (Yes I am aware you dont work at a buffet, WCC if I recall from previous posts), and thats just really hard to justify for most patrons. Not only does it not follow standard tipping guidlines, the prices are artificially inflated to begin with making this even more out of whack to expect that kind of a gratuity at a buffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter