WWYD - parking? PC or WDW?

bookbabe626

DIS Veteran
Okay, so we have the Treasure booked for next September, and we are DVC so will stay at WDW the week before and likely a couple days after. We will have a rental car, but since we fly in/out of TPA (not MCO) we will be keeping the same rental for the whole trip and need to park it somewhere while cruising.

Has anyone ever left their car (rental or personal) at their WDW resort and taken a DCL bus to PC? Or should we be planning to drive to the port and park there?

DH does not want to park at the port, since the one time we did (for an NCL cruise) we got stuck with different arrival/departure terminals and it was a huge pain. I’ve tried to convince him this won’t happen with the Treasure, but he’s still hesitant.

Thoughts?

How many in your party? It will be $136 to park for the week at PC. $90 round trip per person from the resorts. It is nice to let Disney do the driving, but unless you are solo it is less expensive to park at the port.

People have reported different things about parking at the resort during a cruise. Some have done it, and some have been told no. I do not know if being DVC would matter. It may also depend on the resort - the monorail resorts and Boardwalk have more challenges with parking than some of the other. Member services may be able to help.

How many in your party? It will be $136 to park for the week at PC. $90 round trip per person from the resorts. It is nice to let Disney do the driving, but unless you are solo it is less expensive to park at the port.

People have reported different things about parking at the resort during a cruise. Some have done it, and some have been told no. I do not know if being DVC would matter. It may also depend on the resort - the monorail resorts and Boardwalk have more challenges with parking than some of the other. Member services may be able to help.

It’s just DH and I. Money isn’t the issue, LOL, we spent enough on the cruise a few bucks more isn’t a big deal. Our goal is convenience. We’d be at BCV, parking can be iffy there, but it’s our home resort so I don’t know if that would make a difference. Maybe I’ll chat with Member Services at some point, see what their take is.

If money is not an issue, we often let the person who has a bigger interest or wish decide.

Parking may be limited and you will be taking the space that the unit’s next occupants may have needed, but maybe it’s a slow week and there are enough extra spots.

I would drive. (A) I’d rather just get in the car when I want to leave my room as opposed to be told when to meet in the lobby and wait. (B) I’d rather be in a car than a bus of people. (C) if there’s weather, ie hurricane, I like the idea of the vehicle being inside the port garage v. a surface lot. (D) I like seeing my luggage for as long as possible.

(E) And after the cruise, walking over to the car and leaving is just so easy. No waiting to fill a bus and doing drop-offs at an unknown number of resorts.

But I have not had the issue of switched terminals.

- You will have tolls between WDW and PC. You may need to calculate that into expense (or just another factor) comparison if you don’t have a portable FL toll transponder.

FWIW there are no days in September scheduled where the Treasure is in PC with any other Disney ship. Disney has its own dedicated terminal, so there is no reason why you should return to a different terminal.

If money is not an issue, we often let the person who has a bigger interest or wish decide.

Parking may be limited and you will be taking the space that the unit’s next occupants may have needed, but maybe it’s a slow week and there are enough extra spots.

I would drive. (A) I’d rather just get in the car when I want to leave my room as opposed to be told when to meet in the lobby and wait. (B) I’d rather be in a car than a bus of people. (C) if there’s weather, ie hurricane, I like the idea of the vehicle being inside the port garage v. a surface lot. (D) I like seeing my luggage for as long as possible.

(E) And after the cruise, walking over to the car and leaving is just so easy. No waiting to fill a bus and doing drop-offs at an unknown number of resorts.

But I have not had the issue of switched terminals.

- You will have tolls between WDW and PC. You may need to calculate that into expense (or just another factor) comparison if you don’t have a portable FL toll transponder.

I prefer to drive. Dug720’s info that there shouldn’t be a terminal swap will likely sway DH, and I do most of the travel planning so he rarely overrules me. ;-)

I agree I thought it was unlikely they’d let us keep the car at BCV since it’s F&W time and parking is usually pretty restricted, although we just got back (same week planned for next year) and had no issues with parking, so who knows. Tolls are no problem, we have a Sunpass.

I was mostly just curious if anyone has ever done what DH was suggesting, or asked about it. I’m sure we can’t be the first people with a rental car and both a pre- and post- stay booked.

I prefer to drive. Dug720’s info that there shouldn’t be a terminal swap will likely sway DH, and I do most of the travel planning so he rarely overrules me. ;-)

I agree I thought it was unlikely they’d let us keep the car at BCV since it’s F&W time and parking is usually pretty restricted, although we just got back (same week planned for next year) and had no issues with parking, so who knows. Tolls are no problem, we have a Sunpass.

I was mostly just curious if anyone has ever done what DH was suggesting, or asked about it. I’m sure we can’t be the first people with a rental car and both a pre- and post- stay booked.
I think we had a similar question in this forum in the last few months - so you’re probably not the first. Others commented that they had left their car at a resort.

I have a SunPass, too, but mine is the window sticker. That’s for the times I drive from out of state. Those plate tolls and rental car toll programs seem a bit high, hence my idea that it could sway a decision.

Bon Voyage (and great WDW visits!)

Every tourist driving a rental car in Florida should have a toll pass, even if it’s temporary. I know my way around, but it’s been more than once I’ve encounter a road closure that left me no other choice but to take a portion of a toll road. Happened three weeks ago and the rental company hit my credit card for nearly $53 for evading two 75 cent tolls.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest