• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Would anyone like to join me & be a volunteer for the Full Marathon? UPDATE 9/10

Kristi1357

DIS Veteran
I say every year that I should volunteer. I really would like one of those cool jackets the volunteers get! You also get a meal voucher & a one day, one park ticket.

Anyway, I just got the email & I want to sign up a.s.a.p. to get a good shift.
I am thinking of doing something very early so I can be done early & go scream teaming somewhere else on property. I am looking at signing up for the ""1/13/08, Water Stop #2Blue, 3:00 AM - 8:00 AM."

Any WISHers not doing the Full want to join me?
It could be fun to have at least one other WISHer there with me at a water stop.

Krista? Judy? Umm....can't think of anyone else not doing the Full.....

They are very good about working with you to have you with your friends. For DL I had emailed the lady who was handling that so Susan and I were together for the 5K and that Mom and Cathy were together for the 1/2.

So even if after you sign up you find someone I think they'd work hard to get you together.

It's an amazing thing to do. For those that haven't done volunteering for a race it gives you a whole new appreciation for what goes on behind the scenes.

I will keep an eye out for you Krisit on 1/13 :hug:

Editing to say that I will ALSO keep an eye open for you on 1/12 outside either the Polynesian or Grand Floridian. Leaning towards the Polynesian, there is a rumor their coffee shop has Krispy Kremes LMBO Aaahh the prefer food for the morning before a Full marathon ;) I'll try to memorize some Goo lyrics to sing to you off key ;)

Kristi, that is a great idea! I'll have to really think about this. How did you sign up to volunteer? Is it on the marathon website? I wonder if we could get enough Wisher's to staff a water stop and maybe get to wear our Wish shirts. That would rock!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Ok, I just signed up for the Water Stop #2 RED, 3am-9am.

I was going to do blue since it ends at 8am.
But after much discussion with Chad on the phone now & trying to explain the course map over the phone - we figured out that he is always on the red course. So, red it is for me! Now, watch - they will make him blue this year!

Krista - sign up with me! You can do so on disneysports.com....I will go find a link and get back here a.s.a.p.....

Diane - start working on those lyrics! The Goos greatest hits album(s) are coming out in Sept.! :rotfl:

LINK:
http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1469504
You can sign up online thru active for free.

Kristi, found the link, I think I may sign up. What is a screaming fan? Do you think they have plants along the marathon course to get the other spectators into it? I would LOVE to do chip removal, but I do NOT want to work until 2:00.

I was going to be a screaming fan also, but the earlier shift seemed better to me. This way, when I am done, I will scoot through Epcot to the Boardwalk or World Showcase to Scream Team for our WISHers as they come down the home stretch. (and yes, I always noticed the 'plants')

DO IT WITH ME!!!!
It will be fun, I promise! :yay:

Kristi - thanks for volunteering for the race! I always appreciate the volunteers so much.

What's the difference between the red and the blue course, and how do they decide which one you go through..?? Hopefully I'll be on your route!

Lemme tell ya... as a first time full marathoner, I will so appreciate a WISHer being a volunteer. And especially ones I know!!! Now let's hope I am on the red!!!!

Oh Kristi - I think you chose red because you are red!!!! :lmao:

Oh Kristi - I think you chose red because you are red!!!! :lmao:
:rotfl2:

Leana - look at the small Epcot map on the bottom of this page (3rd from the left). If you zoom in 400%, you can see the different routes. I think they divide the course by corrals. Chad has always been in corral B and he has always done the red route. I *think* red may be the first few corrals, and blue the last corrals. Of course, I have no idea what I am talking about!:rotfl2:
http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/dwws_v0220/en_US/pdf/07MarathonCourseMap.pdf

Nancy - No rush, obviously. But it would be fun to have more WISHers on the course, don't ya think?

If I remember right, there is only one water stop when the groups are separate. The second one is around mile 4 and the two groups have merged by that point.

The red and blue corrals have both fast and slow runners in them. They alternate bib numbers, 1-100(red),101-2000(blue), 2001-4000(red)... The first year I was in a red corral and the second year I was in blue. I put down the same ending time so I guess you can't really tell.

Bill

The red and blue corrals have both fast and slow runners in them. They alternate bib numbers, 1-100(red),101-2000(blue), 2001-4000(red)... The first year I was in a red corral and the second year I was in blue. I put down the same ending time so I guess you can't really tell.
Thanks for peeing on my parade, Bill! :lmao:

I registered Mike and I to help out!!!!

Where is the link that shows what the volunteers get???? It asked me at teh end about a coupon should I put something in there????

THis is really cool, I never thought of this way of cheering everyone on.

Kim

Kim - which shift/place are you guys doing?
No - that place is for a coupon, for a discount when signing up for a race.

SPORTS ENTHUSIAST BENEFITS
As a volunteer for the 15th Anniversary WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon and the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Half Marathon, you will receive one commemorative piece of apparel and a meal per shift (apparel sizes are not guaranteed). Upon the completion of your shift, you will receive a WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort 1 Day (1 Theme Park) ticket that entitles you to one (1) day of admission to your choice of one of the following theme parks: Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney-MGM Studios, or Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park.

Wow, that is awesome, we where considering volunteering anyways so this is a great perk.

I can't remember what I booked in for:confused3 I did it so fast, I have my confirmation at home I will check tonight but I know it was for one of the water stations.

Kim

I did it. I signed up to volunteer. I chose #2 water stop, Red--I hope Stephen's on the red course (he's done blue the past 2 years), but if he isn't I'll see him finish the marathon. I am excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, there are a couple of volunteer reports on Robert's website, www.disneyrunning.com, and there is pictorial report that is AWESOME. I can't remember the guy's first name, but his last name is Choi.

I just read my email, I think I am at water station 22 I figure that is the end of the run or fairly close so I can see everyone.

Kim

After looking at the site, I think the water stop numbers correspond to the mile markers. So #2 red will be somewhere just outside Epcot in the parking lot. This makes more sense (at least to me :rolleyes: )than it being the second water stop on the red course.

Hopefully I can be assigned the proper side so I can get cheered on correctly.

Bill

Because WS #22 doesn't have a color I am assuming that I will see everyone:grouphug: . Also I don't have to start till 6:15...:banana:

Kristi thank you so much for posting this info, I am so excited about cheering on my fellow wishers and handing them that much needed water or gatorade as they are completeing their journey.

I wonder why all the volunteer times avail are for the full....I didn't see anything for people who want to volunteer for the 1/2???

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter