Working on Weight Loss and getting Lean!

Creativebeth

DIS Veteran
Okay, so I committed to a title. Not so original, but hopefully everyon will know where to find us! I would love to keep this thread positive and encouraging! Hopefully, we can motivate everyone to achieve their weight loss goals!

My 2010 goals:
1. continue the workouts everyday!
2. complete at least 4 1/2 marathons
3. train and complete a full marathon
4. lose these last 10 pounds for good

What are your goals for 2010?

Beth

Awesome new thread, Beth! I am so here!

But wait...you want 2010 goals already?! I'm going to have to give those some thought. Right now, I just want to finish the WDW Half with a time I'm not really embarrassed about, and without planting my face in a speedbump! :rotfl2:

Maria :upsidedow

But that is a 2010 goal Maria! :goodvibes And, I am sure you are going to pull it all off, no problem! I have faith in you! ((((and have a GREAT time doing it too!))))) But, I do see your point. Finish up WDW weekend, and then let me know your goals!

It's nice having a new thread......like the 'new' car smell!

Beth

Hey Beth and all the other Sweety Leanies!

You were easy to find!

Well, I am feeling better today. I missed my 18 mile walk, but it couldn't be helped. I will get my 20 miler in and go to WDW!

Wow! Goals! What a great time to begin thinking of them. Is anyone else like me and you have to have goals and then plan for meeting your goals and then think about the goals, and then think about what the goals mean, and then develop a strategy to meet the goals and plan for the eventual time when you might need an extra kick to keep the goals and then and ONLY THEN can you actually begin to work on the actual goals??? Okay, maybe that's just me! :rotfl:

1) Make exercise a FUN part of daily life.
2) Eat well, but enjoy living too! Occasional treats make it more fun!
3) Lose 25 pounds in 2010, but make sure that each day is healthy!
4) Do 2 or 3 half marathons in 2010, just for the fun of it!!

I hope everyone else is doing great today.

Without all your posts in front of me, I can't answer each one. I am not the best power poster! But it's good to be back!

See Ya! Connie

Connie -- You have the best quote! I have to keep trying to remember --"Food is fuel, NOT Friends!!" I'm having a hard time letting go of that BFF, especially this time of year, but I will get there. ::yes::

Connie: Yes, having treats is an important part of life. I have been using the bite sized pieces of Dove dark chocolate. I love dark chocolate, and the small little pieces are perfect! I freeze the bag, and eat a piece a day (or so, sometimes not every day). I believe in treats, b/c without them I would be crazy!

Maria: Sometimes it is just a matter of perception. Turn things around in your mind. Instead of planning meals around what you LOVE, try to fuel your morning run! I have been using a little brown rice for 'fuel'! I love to play around with recipes and such......trying different things. Sometimes we can 'trick' our minds into things! But, that's not to say that we just skip those foods we love! ((((I would never suggest that! I believe in moderation))))) Trying new foods helps me get out of old habits!

Running Goals (from my Runner's World training guide): Running goals can be tricky things. Set them too low, and they won't challenge you. But, set them just right (like our old friend Goldilocks), and they will be a powerful source of motivation and achievement.

(There are 5 steps to this plan, and I will list them over a few days)
Remember, The path you take to reach your running goals is just as important - and just as rewarding- as achieving those goals.

1. Create a list: In order of importance, write down 2 to 4 running goals you'd like to achieve in the next 6 months. They can be general as: to run injury free, to feel good on almost every run; or to better balance your runnning with your family life and career. Or make them more specific, such as completing a particular race or achieveing a certain time. You'll need to review this list every few months to make adjustments as needed. For example, as the date of a 5-K goal race gets closer, it will move up higher on the list than when it's months away.

(I will list the #2 one tomorrow!)

Beth

Maria - thanks for the compliment about my quote. I adapted it from the Fish Anonymous Meeting the sharks held in "Finding Nemo". They said, "Fish are friends, NOT food!" Sort of the same, sort of different! :goodvibes

:fish:

Hi All.
I found the new thread. Sorry I was gone for so long. When I know I am not doing well I tend to stay away - and I have not been doing very well. I have been running great! DH has been wonderful to come with me now. He may slow me down a little, but it is so much more fun, especially since we are running around a small inside track most of the time (Really small - 18 laps to a mile). so I just run on the outside of the track and get a few extra feet in by the end. But we have done well. I am not sure which week of the C25K I am on - but it required 25 minutes. It was hard, but we did it! On Saturday we did the 25 (acutally pumped it up to 30 just because we were feeling good) then did a half hour on the eliptical then back to the track for some intervals - trying to increase the speed. It was snowing like CRAZY! and has been for the past four days. I don't dare run (or even walk) outside right now. I guess we will be headed back to the track tonight.

Also - I officially signed up for the Palm Springs Half Marathon in February. I am looking forward to it, but it is coming up fast, and with the weather the way it is most of my training will be done inside. OH well. I am hoping to talk DH into running it with me. He is leaning toward the 5K - which is awesome too.

OK - goals for 2010...

1. lose weight. I don't have a number yet, because I keep setting goals and missing, but I am going to go down!
2. run (not just walk) in at least 2 half marathons (PS and DL) and try to find 5K and other fun runs to stay motivated.
3. eat better. Not just for me, but for DH as well. We need to get off the pizza!

I am sure there are a million other things I should be doing, but I will start with these and work my way up.

Thanks everyone for being my encouragement! :cheer2: I know I need to check in more often. I am going to work on sharing my good days and my bad days. I still need all the help I can get!

Just popping in to subscribe. So this is the new mean leaner thread, right?

Just got back from our half-marathon in Vegas. Hubby and I did the run-through vow renewal and ran with all the Elvis impersonators for the first 3.2 miles (ceremony chute). By the time the race was half-way over I was ready for a divorce! There are some things that people just don't need to do together and running/walking is one of them. My hubby is slow and grumpy and not alot of fun during race events. We finished but it was UGLY!!!! of course we lost a little time with the vow renewal, but it would have still been ugly! It was fun meeting up with some other WISHers though.

Wish me luck.....I'm saying goodbye to the big girls tomorrow. If nothing else, that will help me lose a few pounds. I'll be in the hospital overnight and hopefully home on Thursday. Talk to you then....

Jeanne - Good luck tomorrow! Sorry Vegas wasn't a smashing success. Bill and I are really enjoying our midweek runs together. Don't know the race setting would be, but I doubt I'll ever find out since he's targeting a 9:00 mile at Disney! At first he promised to do the full with me, but now he's decided to do the half at a leisurely pace and do the full for time. I doubt I'll see him after the corral in either race, and once he provides proof of time, we won't even be in the same corral!

Beth - The Dove dark chocolate pieces are our treats too!

2010 Goals:
1) Run a 5K without walk breaks.
2) Finish a half marathon in 2:30 or less.
3) Resume workouts with weights and/or Pilates on a regular basis.
4) Entertain the possibility of another marathon and shoot for 5:30 (if I can do this at Disney, then there won't have to be another marathon on the calendar!)

Jackie

I am so glad everyone is finding us here in our new 'digs'! Welcome to new Lean Meaners!

Manda, Jackie.....great goals!

Jackie.....I see your point in wanting to get the great time in your marathon early!!!! That would be an awesome start of 2010! I will keep the good wishes coming!

Manda: It's so hard to get eating AND exercise together at the same time. It's good that the running is working for you! Keep at it.....it will eventually come together for you. Give yourself a little break....this healthy lifestyle isn't the easiest thing to do, especially all at once!

Jeanne: I am glad you found us! Sorry to hear Vegas was not what you wanted.....it is really hard to walk/run together when your paces are so different. Nancy knows of what you speak.....she had a hard time with the Turkey Trot with Norm.....two different paces, makes someone crazy!

Good luck with your surgery! I am sure things will go well, and I hope you are happy with the results! It will be great to go bra shopping when the 'girls' are ready for a pretty new, lacy bra! I bet you can't wait!

Thanks to everyone keeping this thread positive......I want you all to feel safe coming here for the encouragement we all need. We don't need negative talk here!!!!!! Remember, any step you take towards the healthy lifestyle we all want, is a step in the right direction!!!! I am proud of all of you! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Beth

Good Morning Everyone.

Jeanne: Thinking of you today. Good luck. I like the instant weight loss aspect. It wouldn't work for me since I don't have much to start with in that area. I'm sorry DH was grumpy. I know I couldn't ever run with my DH. Good thing he's not a runner.

Jackie: Good luck with your 2010 goals. When I ran my first marathon I was miserable around 20 miles and I promised myself that if I could just finish I would never have to run a marathon again. I did finish and within 2 days I was already plotting out my next marathon. So even if you meet your goal at WDW, you might be thinking about 5:20, or 5:15 someday.

Connie: Glad you are feeling better. Good job on planning your goals and thinking about your goals and finding a strategy for meeting your goals. I hope all of this will make it easier to achieve your goals.

Manda: Good job running on the inside track. I'm sure that can get monotonous. Glad you signed up for a race. That will be sure to keep you training. Try to just make a few food changes if you're having a hard time with the eating. Have just 2 pieces of pizza or get one that's loaded with veggies or make your own with whole wheat crust and low fat cheese. Sometimes just making a few little changes can start to make a difference.

Beth: Thanks for the start of the Running Goals plan. I'm still thinking about what I plan to do for 2010. I'll post them when I've come up with something. How's your weight loss week going? Are you feeling more rested?

I was so tired this morning, but still managed to get up early to do a DVD. I knew because of the weather today I wouldn't get out for my run.
I had a small victory last night at my book club. I didn't have any wine, I had just a small spoonful of apple crisp and I skipped the cookies which looked really good. I know I have 2 other parties to go to Thursday night and Saturday night so I want to save up some calories.
Last week I had a lot more exercising than this week, so I really need to keep the calories in check. I haven't been journaling my food and counting pts and I really need to start that. I will do this today!! There I just said it to all of you so maybe I can make myself do it. I'll report in tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone.
Cindy

Good Morning!

Ok, "good" is in the eye of the beholder -- it's rainy, cold and yucky here, but at least we don't have feet of snow! :cold:

My plan today is to walk on the TM at an incline, then do some light weights after work. I can't run every day, but I have to get better about the strength stuff. I seem to just get bored on the exercise bike. I guess I need new dvds.

I had a vitamuffin and 2 clementines for breakfast. I'm having a lean cuisine for lunch (I love hummus and veggies, but not when I'm already cold -- and the heat is not working on our floor :idea: Maybe I'm burning more calories just sitting?!), and spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I have those new jello mousse cups for dessert. The ones I have are actually pretty good. I'm not sure if they're the regular or dark chocolate because dh bought and unpacked them and didn't save anything, and you can't tell by the top. Anyway, they're only a point, and pretty decent for that. :goodvibes

Cindy -- You are doing great with all these events! My goodness, that's a ton of parties you have either been to or will go to -- and you are planning and succeeding. :thumbsup2 I've pointed myself out for the day and I'll share --

Vitamuffin 1, Clementines 1, Kashi TLC Bar 2, Lean Cuisine 6, Yogurt 2, Babybel 2, Grapes 1, Peppers 0, Carrots 0, Cape Cod Reduced Fat Chips 2, Spaghetti & Meatballs 9,
Jello Mousse 1
Total: 27

That's actually three over my allowance, so I definitely have to work out! I usually try to just stay at my pts, but since I haven't counted in so long, I'm considering just being aware and only eating if I'm hungry to be ok for today. Notice I am backing away from the Lindt balls, holiday rolos (why must I eat them because they are in red, green and gold foil?!), and homemade fudge.

Beth -- You are a great cheerleader :cheer2:, and a fantastic inspiration! This time of year is especially hard. Family and friends that would normally be helpful are trying to push food on you that you shouldn't eat, it's dark and cold, and you want to be festive. I am going to do my best to be active on the thread for the next few weeks. This is the hardest time of the year to try to lose weight, and we are all in this together! :grouphug:

Jackie -- Those regular weights need to be a goal for me, too. I really have to try harder to make it happen. I don't know why I'm mentally not there, but I need to get over it. :cool1:

Jeanne -- Sending prayers and pixiedust: for a very successful procedure! I could not run a race with dh. He would never agree to it because I would totally slow him down. He has 9 min miles, mine are 13 -- this is not a good mix! Racing together just may not be the best choice for you as a couple. But you can be waiting for him at the finish line! :lovestruc

Manda -- When you are having a bad day and check in, at least for me, it helps me get back on track and strengthens my resolve. It's hard to come when you don't have something positive to report, but that's ok...some days I talk about something else positive if my workouts and eating are not going well. The important thing is to stay in touch and be around others who have similar goals. :surfweb:

Connie -- I remember the scene from "Finding Nemo". I think it's so clever how you adapted it! :teacher:

Ok, I have to get back to work. So glad we have this shiny, new thread, for all us shiny happy people! :woohoo:

I'm here, I'm here! :yay: I hope you didn't forget about me.

Goals for 2010? I'm egregiously stealing from Beth, and the RW training-guide advice:
1) Balance in my workouts, adding more strength and core training CONSISTENTLY to help me run pain-free
2) Find one new athletic-hobby activity that I like. Not a class or training, but something that's active without feeling like I'm scheduling a workout. (Stolen from Connie:goodvibes)
3) Focus on 1/2 marathon distance @ 15-16 mile training cap (strange, I know, but I want to feel strong finishing a 1/2)
4) Cut 10 minutes off my 1/2 marathon time
5) Lose 10 pounds (and quit yo-yoing)

Beth: Thank you, thank you for keeping this thread alive and lively. Not to mention positive. There's been too little positivity in my life recently--but I always appreciate knowing there's a place to come home to. :hug:

Maria: At this point I'll just be happy to finish the 1/2! :upsidedow But I've been following your training, sporadically, but following it and know you're going to kick asphalt. And great job tracking your points--you're SO organized.

Connie: Make sure each day is healthy--what a great goal! I love the phrasing on your goals, but what really made me giggle was the paragraph where you dissected all that goes into making them. Yep, sounds familiar!

Manda: Woo hoo for signing up, officially for Palm Springs. Love that you and DH support each other in this healthy endeavor and you're setting the pace for him to follow. (tee hee) Understand the pizza comment, too. It seems to be a weekly food item around here.

Jeanne: Congratulations on the RnR Las Vegas race and vow renewal--I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it to the latter with an ugly race. You two are surely committed.

Oh, and goodbye girls! Nice knowing you. :rotfl: Good luck and I'm thinking of you today.

Jackie: Liar! If you hit 5:30 in January you'll just have to try another marathon and see what you can do without being hindered by Goofy. :rotfl2:
Fabulous 2010 plan.

Cindy: Great victory with the book club, especially with the wine. I'm not sure why I think this, but I tend to think of book clubs and alcohols as naturally going together. :confused3 It's funny, because I don't drink when I'm reading alone. WTG with more exercising, too!

As for me: I've been experiencing some runner's knee and a fair amount of pain for a couple of weeks, first real problems in the training season. I'm hoping to have a couple of good mid-distance runs between now and January that will make me feel more confident. The less said about my personal life these days, the better. I'm with Beth, and wanting all the positivity in my life these days that I can get! :grouphug:

Just dropping by to let you know that Jeanne's surgery went well. She was staying overnight in the hospital and was expected to be back home today. I'm sure she will fill you in later.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Nancy

Just popping in to say that the deed is done and, all things considered, I'm not feeling too bad. The doc told me this morning that they removed over 2 pounds from each side, so I couldn't wait to get home and on the scale. I figured with that, and not eating for a day and a half, I would surely get a glimpse of One-derland. Can one of you nurses please tell me why the scale has me GAINING about 8 pounds?!? I did not have that much fun in Vegas! Methinks it's a combination of I.V. fluids and swelling but that would make a gain of about 12 pounds which doesn't sound reasonable at all.

Anyway, that's it for now....just wanted to report in.

jeanneg, I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I lost 35 pounds in 24 hours after having my c-section (meaning I weighed myself right after the c-section and then lost another 35 pounds 24 hours later). Given the amount of time I spent in the bathroom, that had to be water weight. Surgery does weird things to your body. Glad to hear it went well!

Jeanne: Totally fluid. They pump you up in the OR, so wait a week and then see what has happened. They have to give you the fluid, b/c of losing it during surgery and sometimes it hangs around awhile. Get back to your schedule and eating, and you will see it come off by next week. I am glad things went well......I was worried about you. Miss Nancy is off to the World today, so I am working! I already miss her.....

Debra: OK......so I am glad you found us in our new 'digs'! I have miss you my friend. I am sorry life is not treating you well.......seems to be the story all around. I have only good thoughts for you in this 'festive' season! ((((I am trying really hard to feel the festive right now! :lmao:)))))

Your goals are great for 2010! I, too, want to train longer....not only for the marathon distance, but for the 1/2 marathon distance. Only training to 10 to 11 miles, makes the last few miles of the 1/2 pretty unbearable! :confused3 Even though I took alot of time off my 1/2 this year, the last few miles were always tough. I am hoping training longer helps that situation! :goodvibes

Maria: I never used to be cold.....ALWAYS hot and sweating! But, since losing weight......I am like a little old lady saying "I am cold!" I am wearing long sleeves and sweat shirts now! I never used to get out of my short sleeves, even mid-winter. I guess I had too much 'insulation'!!! :rotfl: I hope they fix your heat soon!

Cindy: Good for you skipping the cookies! (((((I don't know if I could have)))) I love cookies of all kinds! I think it's the world's perfect food.....but I say that about cupcakes too! :thumbsup2 Hang in there, and continue making great choices!

Jackie: I am trying hard with the weights too! I did increase my weights in class on Wednesday.....and thought I was going to die! Keep on trying!

AFM: My back is still off.......I really put the whammy on it somehow. I am taking Motrin......hopefully things will be better soon. I had a hard time with my 4 miles this morning because of it. I was going to try for more miles later.....but we will have to see.

Eating is ok.....but I only lost a pound this week........not that I am complaining, but........you know. PIA it is!

Beth

2. (Running Goals from RW's training guide) Sketch Out a Plan - in Pencil: With your list of goals in hand, you can begin to flesh out a plan to achieve each one by plotting the key workouts you'll need in a running log or a notebook, or on a calender. If one of your goals is to enjoy your runs more, you'll need to schedule social runs, runs in scenic locations, and runs with your favorite four-legged friend on a regular basis. Time-specific goals mean you'll need to chart a series of speedwork sessions. And if you're looking to complete a half-marathon, or a marathon, you'll have to plan your long-run strategy. Use a pencil to schedule these runs just in case changes need to be made later.

:welcome:Beth – Thanks for setting up the new thread, and setting a great tone for it. I love the positive energy here. It is something I totally need in my life right now! Thanks.

Cindy – awesome job on avoiding the treats at book club. That is the hardest thing to do, especially this time of year when treats are everywhere (and so good!)

Maria – I need to get better at working with weights. I never do it and my arms are just so weak! Thanks for listing the food you ate, that helps me to compare that to what I eat and see what I should be doing.

Debra – Those are great goals – I am going to steal some of those. I have had pretty bad runner’s knee. That is what turned me off of running all those years ago. I have been to physical therapy for that, and I know what I should be doing to keep my legs in shape. As I add more and more running to my routine I am going to have to get back into the stretches and exercises I learned in Physical Therapy.

Jeanne – Glad you made it through! I don’t know much about surgery, but what the others have said sounds good. Hopefully you will have some wonderful news to report once you get back to your routine.

Rubato – WELCOME! :welcome: You are so welcome to join this thread. I have been chatting with my friends on this thread for about 4 or 5 months now and I find it to be one of the most inspirational places! Tell us more about yourself and your goals. So glad to have you here!

As for me – I am working on one of my goals, to check in here more often! I went with my DH to the rec center again last night. The outside running has been completely put on hold since the high this week has been 20degreesF, the ice just isn’t melting. Also, it is about 5-6degrees before work, and probably around 10 when I get home. That kind of air just burns – so inside we go. We upped the running to 30 minutes this week. I am so excited that I can do that! Yesterday we ran 30 minutes than played racquetball with my dad and brother for an hour. It was a great day for exercise.

I hate to say, however, that I am up a pound. I just can’t get the eating under control. But I am headed to the grocery store tonight and I am going to try to stick to my list and only get things that will help me make my goals. No more self sabotage !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter