Wonder Returns to Galveston - November 6, 2015

:cool1: We have the handmade portion of our FE's completed! I just need to package things up and it's all ready to go. How's it going for everyone else?

Here's a question for all past cruisers: What is your favorite thing to do on the ship? For me, I love sitting in the cushy loungers outside Cove Café with a mocha and watching the ocean go by, maybe reading a bit, or knitting a bit, but just relaxing! Aaaahhhh!

Hello....I'm new to DIS, but not to DCL! It's been so much fun reading along that I had to join. So this will be our 2nd trip on DCL. Our first was in 2012- Mexican Riviera, out of San Pedro, Ca. This time we're doing a "land and sea" (so to speak) trip. We live in Ca and will be driving to Texas, to add more memories for our kids. So excited! I'm an over planner as many of you and start my research very early in advance, so needless to say..."Let's Do This!!!"
Now, the Fish Extender is new to me. And to be honest had a different impression. I had no idea how pre-planned and organized this was...cool! Is this something that is super fun and shouldn't miss out on? We're definitely decorating our stateroom door. I made magnets myself and extra to share with those that didn't bring magnets of their own. What should I keep in mind? And roughly how many gifts do people prepare for? Thank you in advance. :)
:wave: Hi and welcome! We're doing a road trip also! We love doing road trips with our cruises. Last time (2013) on the way down we took a side trip to New Orleans and on the way home was a side trip to Roswell, NM. I love researching and finding fun stuff to see and do along the way. This time, we're going to spend some extra time in Galveston visiting with some friends and exploring the area a bit.

We find the FE's really fun to participate in. When the kids were little they would race to the stateroom to see what goodies were waiting, and I really enjoy gifting to others.

The majority of the FE is already in Texas, and what is left will be flying with me.:-) Still have to get a few things, but I am mostly done.
Depending on where the crowds are and the noise level will decide if I am out on deck or back in the room to hear the sound of the water. Balconies are great for really early or really late as it is soooo peaceful.:cloud9:
Knowing you have the same PAT and are at the same hotel, I am going to be asking everyone on the shuttle who they are-it will make people think I am crazy!:eek: You can sit and watch the showpopcorn::

The majority of the FE is already in Texas, and what is left will be flying with me.:-) Still have to get a few things, but I am mostly done.
Depending on where the crowds are and the noise level will decide if I am out on deck or back in the room to hear the sound of the water. Balconies are great for really early or really late as it is soooo peaceful.:cloud9:
Knowing you have the same PAT and are at the same hotel, I am going to be asking everyone on the shuttle who they are-it will make people think I am crazy!:eek: You can sit and watch the showpopcorn::
LOL!!! This cracked me up! Now I'm trying to figure out how to be incognito and enjoy the show. Considering you know who I'm traveling with I think figuring out who I am won't be too hard.... the laughter might give me away also... :lmao:

:cool1: We have the handmade portion of our FE's completed! I just need to package things up and it's all ready to go. How's it going for everyone else?

Here's a question for all past cruisers: What is your favorite thing to do on the ship? For me, I love sitting in the cushy loungers outside Cove Café with a mocha and watching the ocean go by, maybe reading a bit, or knitting a bit, but just relaxing! Aaaahhhh!

:wave: Hi and welcome! We're doing a road trip also! We love doing road trips with our cruises. Last time (2013) on the way down we took a side trip to New Orleans and on the way home was a side trip to Roswell, NM. I love researching and finding fun stuff to see and do along the way. This time, we're going to spend some extra time in Galveston visiting with some friends and exploring the area a bit.

We find the FE's really fun to participate in. When the kids were little they would race to the stateroom to see what goodies were waiting, and I really enjoy gifting to others.

Hi....thank you for replying. Sounds like fun. I will be sure to let you know once I reach 10. I've been searching for FE gift ideas. So much to think about, I want to be sure I can think of doing something nice for everyone if we join the group :)

Hi, thanks for replying. It's fun to think about roadtrip fun. I think I'm more concerned about me making it through the 24 hour drive, than I am about my kids. They'll have more than enough to stay entertained. FE sounds like fun...I hope to join if I can think of something for gifts.

LOL!!! This cracked me up! Now I'm trying to figure out how to be incognito and enjoy the show. Considering you know who I'm traveling with I think figuring out who I am won't be too hard.... the laughter might give me away also... :lmao:
The sad thing is I never even thought about how many was in your party! Thanks for pointing that out, it will make it much easier to spot you:wave2:

Hi, thanks for replying. It's fun to think about roadtrip fun. I think I'm more concerned about me making it through the 24 hour drive, than I am about my kids. They'll have more than enough to stay entertained. FE sounds like fun...I hope to join if I can think of something for gifts.
Are you driving straight through with no stops? I did that once coming home from WDW and it was a long drive. Of course it didn't help that I was the only driver, but it was all quiet from the back thanks to technology. As for FE gifts, there are tons of ideas on the internet or we could tell you what we have seen/received in the past. Since you are driving, packing space will not be an issue.
On a side note with something I learned the hard way. My last cruise I thought it would be a great idea to put the FE gifts in something useful so I picked drawstring bags. Where to start on lessons learned - #1 try to find 20 red drawstring bags #2 pack them in a suitcase so the strings don't get tangled(didn't work) #3 now try to deliver them with the same issue of the strings becoming tangled and finally #4 I forgot to take into account how small some of the pockets on FE's are so the bags were hung from doorknobs instead:sad2: I will not be trying that again anytime soon!

Hi...no, we'll be stopping along the way. We'll be driving through Arizona and New Mexico and my DH (by the way, does DH mean...Disney Husband?o_O) and I will both be driving. Our plan is to leave Tuesday 2nd and arrive in Galveston by Thursday 5th evening.

Ok so, moving on to FE gifts, yes...the internet has so much to look through. A favorite of mine is Etsy. But this is where I get stuck and could use some help. Ok, how do you manage selecting a gift idea and it fit such a large range of people? I saw the list of those signed up and there's adults down to a 7 month old. Do you just have different gifts based on gender and age? I'm sure there's lots of different ways to mange this, but could you share your approach.:thanks:

I noticed the mention of kids and ages and going to the different groups. Do some of your kids already know each other? If so, do they all meet up and hang out together? I have 2 kids, my son will be 13 and my daughter is 8. So they'll be going to 2 different groups. Our last cruise, their ages fell within the same group, so I felt good about that. That won't happen this time around. My son can make friends with anyone and really enjoys meeting new kids, my daughter needs more encouragement and doesn't easily approach new kids.

Hi...no, we'll be stopping along the way. We'll be driving through Arizona and New Mexico and my DH (by the way, does DH mean...Disney Husband?o_O) and I will both be driving. Our plan is to leave Tuesday 2nd and arrive in Galveston by Thursday 5th evening.

Ok so, moving on to FE gifts, yes...the internet has so much to look through. A favorite of mine is Etsy. But this is where I get stuck and could use some help. Ok, how do you manage selecting a gift idea and it fit such a large range of people? I saw the list of those signed up and there's adults down to a 7 month old. Do you just have different gifts based on gender and age? I'm sure there's lots of different ways to mange this, but could you share your approach.:thanks:
DH is Darling Husband - from the family in Peter Pan. Hopefully you have read through the thread and saw that there is a biker rally starting on the 5th, so it is highly suggested to have a hotel reserved.

Gifts are hard, I will admit. It does not need to stay to the Disney theme as that is not how FE's started. If you are crafty, then by all means you can make something for each room. I have received personalized magnets of varying designs and a laundry bag with the cruise date sewn on my last cruise. I like to make it hard on myself and do different things for everyone, but I have also been working on this cruise since last October! If you want to do gifts pp as I do, I try to keep in mind age appropriate items. A 7 month old is probably not going to like what I would give a 13 year old. And then I also try to stick with the characters people have given me, which is even harder in some cases. Etsy has some awesome things that you can buy in bulk if you want. You do not have to be as crazy as me:joker:, I have had a long time to wait for this cruise.

I noticed the mention of kids and ages and going to the different groups. Do some of your kids already know each other? If so, do they all meet up and hang out together? I have 2 kids, my son will be 13 and my daughter is 8. So they'll be going to 2 different groups. Our last cruise, their ages fell within the same group, so I felt good about that. That won't happen this time around. My son can make friends with anyone and really enjoys meeting new kids, my daughter needs more encouragement and doesn't easily approach new kids.
Once you hit 10 posts, you can contact anyone who has a child that matches yours in age and maybe they can email? Get to know each other before the cruise, but in a way that is monitored by the parents is my suggestion.:chat:

The sad thing is I never even thought about how many was in your party! Thanks for pointing that out, it will make it much easier to spot you:wave2:
D'oh!!! Just kidding! LOL!!! I hope we do see each other! :)

Do you just have different gifts based on gender and age? I'm sure there's lots of different ways to mange this, but could you share your approach.:thanks:
I've done it different ways, depending upon what I'm gifting. I do tend to get something different for little ones, even if I have something that works for everyone older.

49 days until the cruise!:rainbow: I am happy to say that barring any latecomers, I have finished all my FE's:worship: Not to say that I don't want any more people, I still have time to do more FE's. Any takers? Anybody?:sail:

Between being swamped at work and getting ready for house guests coming this week, I haven't been able to finish. Hopefully after our house guests leave I'll be able to get back on things to finish! I can't believe we're at only 49 days! Eeekkk - I still have so much to do!!!

Hey guys... question.. I am getting stuff together for my FE gifts. How does everyone do it? Do you just get 1 thing per person.. or a few little things here and there for each person for the week? First cruise and first FE! Help!!!

Hey guys... question.. I am getting stuff together for my FE gifts. How does everyone do it? Do you just get 1 thing per person.. or a few little things here and there for each person for the week? First cruise and first FE! Help!!!
I've done it differently on each cruise, it really depends upon what I've decided to give. I've given a cabin gift for the family to share in the past, these days I typically give an individual gift and some little extras. I've also done the "deliver multiple days" and "deliver once" and I really like the deliver once and then I'm done and not worried/thinking about it for the rest of the cruise. It's really up to you how you want to do it and what you want to give. It's all good, have fun with it!

I am in the one and done category. I deliver everything once and then I don't have to worry about finding time to go back and do it again.:) What and how much you gift is up to you. I am like MousseauMob and try to do individual gifts and some shared thrown in for good measure. I have had way to much time to wait on this cruise so I will probably go overboard on giving, but I love the giving! I just hope everyone enjoys the FE and doesn't stress, it is a vacation and should be fun however you choose to do it. ::yes::

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest