Where will your first post-Covid vacation be?

We're usually vacationing same time every year just because we've been so limited time wise before other activities start up (camps, cross country practice) so if we can't make our June Disney trip, will have to be end of July and I do not want to go to FL then. So might not be until next June. But will probably be Disney. That will probably be the last one until grandkids come along.

Oh man am I completely delusional for still planning our October trip?? We bought tickets to mickeys not so scary Halloween party sonic we dont go that’s $700 down the tube. 😭😭

This also bothers me, especially since the only mill that makes the material for these masks is in Nanaimo and they are running 24 hours a day to fill the US orders. I think the mill should start focusing on filling Canadian orders.
Why is it that the guy with the itchy twitter finger always seems to shoot himself in the foot...
Now that's some real Karma...

Oh man am I completely delusional for still planning our October trip?? We bought tickets to mickeys not so scary Halloween party sonic we dont go that’s $700 down the tube. 😭😭
Your tickets will retain the value - as in what you paid for them. If you bought with GC's keep them and keep any receipts. WDW will apply the value to a future ticket purchase, so while you won't have the cash in your pocket, you will not lose your investment. I hope that helps!

I'm hoping that it will be safe to travel within our country this summer and that we could meet my parents somewhere between them (Victoria) and us (Regina) for a few days. Maybe the Okanagan or the Rockies somewhere. DH and I were supposed to be going to Halifax for a conference and had booked a couple nights in PEI before that and I sadly had to cancel today because the conference was cancelled for this year. Hoping they will do it next year in Halifax (rotates provinces) rather than moving on to whoever is next. I was hoping to go back to Florida or to Arizona next winter around Feb break for some heat but with the current climate and CDN to US disaster, it seems unlikely for us.

Truly, with the way the economy ends up with determine where my family and I will end up going. The economy and our dollar/exchange rate will affect our plans, as i can't see the economy not taking a hit from all this. Groceries are more expensive now and that will continue and I can't really see how the Gov't can keep funding money into programs when so many people are being laid off right now. Plus, Disney will have specials and programs to try and get people into parks again (if people don't show up), but that will only go on for so long before they hike prices up (they have to make up their money from being closed somehow). So, I'm thinking our Disney plans are on hold and if we are able to go away (laid off during this), I'd like to spend my money in Canada to help businesses here. Besides, there is SOOO much to see here and I don't need to worry about making sure we have our Passports, changing money and booking flights, as there's a lot of places to see that we can drive to!

Honestly, in a way I feel bad for even considering NOT spending our dollars in Canada next year. And, don't get me wrong, we would love to drive across Canada, but we were planning to do that in a few more years when the kids were older, and we've already travelled the Maritimes extensively. The truth is, living where we are (in the Maritime provinces) we find Canada hard to travel in because of a) general cost (even with the poor exchange travel in the US was normally cheaper) and b) the sheer size of Canada. How vast our country is makes travel hard to fit into our budget/how we like to travel.

Example: the only place we want to visit that we can easily drive to is Ontario. Anything else requires flying, which we can't afford to do (flights for 4 to Alberta from NB run about $2700-3000). We have discussed taking a trip to Ontario and "doing" Toronto and Niagra Falls attractions because there are attractions there that interest all of us, and it's only a 12-13 hour drive away. But the two cities are roughly 1.5 hours apart. So even if we stay somewhere between the two, anytime we want to go anywhere, we've got about a 45 minute drive to get there which my husband will find stressful on those highways. And, we're stuck staying in a hotel. With the exception of Disney (lol), we go on vacation to relax, and there's nothing relaxing about being stuck in a hotel room for a week, spending 1-2 hours driving Ontario's busy highways every day when we want to do sight seeing. We priced trying to get a cottage in lake country, but then we're driving 1-2 hours to get into the cities for sight seeing, and the cottages are expensive.

Contrast that to say, New Hampshire, where we can rent affordable lodging etc... in a central location, and have a plethora of attractions and hiking available within minutes. And while some of the attractions might be 45-60 minutes away, you're not having to do that every time you want to go see something, and they're easy drives on not busy two-lane roads with breathtaking scenery. Same with Hersey, PA, or Chattanooga, TN, other places we had looked at going. It's all right there.

Right now we have the Westjet travel credits with a 24 month time limit from our cancelled March break trip to WDW so once this is over and it is safe to travel we want to go to WDW. Our kids wanted to watch POV videos of all the new WDW attractions but DH wouldn’t let them yet since he is hopeful we will go one day, but at this point I’m not sure when Disney will open up again.

We have a Disney Cruise at end of June. We will see what happens there. I’d be happy just to do all days at sea if we can’t port anywhere. And a dude ranch trip to Colorado at end of July. I think that will be a go.

Not WDW. We will travel to Arizona and take a car trip to California (never been there), and possibly Disneyland. All this is IF it is safe to travel then. We are also planning trips to some National Parks.

Honestly, in a way I feel bad for even considering NOT spending our dollars in Canada next year. And, don't get me wrong, we would love to drive across Canada, but we were planning to do that in a few more years when the kids were older, and we've already travelled the Maritimes extensively. The truth is, living where we are (in the Maritime provinces) we find Canada hard to travel in because of a) general cost (even with the poor exchange travel in the US was normally cheaper) and b) the sheer size of Canada. How vast our country is makes travel hard to fit into our budget/how we like to travel.

Example: the only place we want to visit that we can easily drive to is Ontario. Anything else requires flying, which we can't afford to do (flights for 4 to Alberta from NB run about $2700-3000). We have discussed taking a trip to Ontario and "doing" Toronto and Niagra Falls attractions because there are attractions there that interest all of us, and it's only a 12-13 hour drive away. But the two cities are roughly 1.5 hours apart. So even if we stay somewhere between the two, anytime we want to go anywhere, we've got about a 45 minute drive to get there which my husband will find stressful on those highways. And, we're stuck staying in a hotel. With the exception of Disney (lol), we go on vacation to relax, and there's nothing relaxing about being stuck in a hotel room for a week, spending 1-2 hours driving Ontario's busy highways every day when we want to do sight seeing. We priced trying to get a cottage in lake country, but then we're driving 1-2 hours to get into the cities for sight seeing, and the cottages are expensive.

Contrast that to say, New Hampshire, where we can rent affordable lodging etc... in a central location, and have a plethora of attractions and hiking available within minutes. And while some of the attractions might be 45-60 minutes away, you're not having to do that every time you want to go see something, and they're easy drives on not busy two-lane roads with breathtaking scenery. Same with Hersey, PA, or Chattanooga, TN, other places we had looked at going. It's all right there.
Those are such valid points! Flight prices within Canada can be crazy expensive and you do have to decide if the driving time makes a place worth it. The only thing that would work is if you planned a week at a cottage area and then time specifically in Toronto. But, yeah, then you have to consider the cost of renting a cottage, etc. especially when you can do something similar and it's easier and less work to plan it in the States. So, I really do understand where you're coming from!

Haligonian (Halifax) here!

We have an annual week-long camping trip to KOA Cavendish mid July and I would be thrilled if we got to go only that this year!

Atlantis Bahamas is more than likely out for end of July. I think we will see the Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico start to really ramp up numbers now.

WDW is booked for December (flights, passes, resort paid by wdw gift cards).
Even if it is safe to travel to the US, not sure I could convince my parents to come with DD and I.

I definitely find travel in Canada more expensive!! We used to live in Calgary and we decided to take our kids back there and to visit friends in BC. We got decent prices on our flights (about $2000 for 4 of us compared to about $1000 when we fly to FL) and we stayed with friends and family for 6 nights eating mostly at their houses at the time and stayed on our own for 2 nights in Banff and also rented a car. Our total trip cost about the same as a Week at Disney World.

Honestly I don’t find Toronto that exciting of a city! I like pretty much every other big city I’ve been to better than it (sorry Torontonians!) I prefer Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City much more!! Niagara Falls is really fun to check out if you havent been before (my DH absolutely hates it though because it’s ridiculously expensive and very tacky!) But you could add on a night In That area so you’re not driving back and forth.

We are booked for an August WDW trip... not sure it will happen. As others have mentionned, I find travelling in Canada to be pricey.. and tbh I've visited all the provinces and would rather visit something new or warm. 🙂 If August is a no go, we will spend time at the family cottage and save $$$ for a trip somewhere south in the winter...

I definitely find travel in Canada more expensive!! We used to live in Calgary and we decided to take our kids back there and to visit friends in BC. We got decent prices on our flights (about $2000 for 4 of us compared to about $1000 when we fly to FL) and we stayed with friends and family for 6 nights eating mostly at their houses at the time and stayed on our own for 2 nights in Banff and also rented a car. Our total trip cost about the same as a Week at Disney World.

Honestly I don’t find Toronto that exciting of a city! I like pretty much every other big city I’ve been to better than it (sorry Torontonians!) I prefer Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City much more!! Niagara Falls is really fun to check out if you havent been before (my DH absolutely hates it though because it’s ridiculously expensive and very tacky!) But you could add on a night In That area so you’re not driving back and forth.

I've heard others call Niagra tacky. It is really that "touristy" and kind of Vegas-y? Lol. We're not city people at all, and we have never done a "city" vacation before. So....there is the worry of spending all that money and not enjoying the experience. I mean we enjoy museums, aquariums, science centers etc... but normally the ones we go to are in small cities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter