What's the trick to booking a value 2BR at Jambo?

Regarding "walking" to get get your reservation - I thought you could only make the reservation for 7 days when you book exactly 11 months out? One of the posts suggests booking 2 weeks? Also, if you don't have "current" use year points for the reservation and you have to borrow points, what does that do when you walk the reservation forward (because you are cancelling the first day and adding a new last day)? Will they let you use points from the first (bogus) day for the 8th day? Also, what happens if you are successful in booking the initial 7 day vacation (where the 7th day is actually the first real day of your intended vacation) and when you call back daily to walk it forward, there isn't availability (if you borrowed points)?

Regarding "walking" to get get your reservation - I thought you could only make the reservation for 7 days when you book exactly 11 months out? One of the posts suggests booking 2 weeks? Also, if you don't have "current" use year points for the reservation and you have to borrow points, what does that do when you walk the reservation forward (because you are cancelling the first day and adding a new last day)? Will they let you use points from the first (bogus) day for the 8th day? Also, what happens if you are successful in booking the initial 7 day vacation (where the 7th day is actually the first real day of your intended vacation) and when you call back daily to walk it forward, there isn't availability (if you borrowed points)?

If you borrow points to make a reservation, and you cancel that reservation, or only one day of the reservation, yes, you can still use those points on a new reservation, or to add a day to an existing reservation, as long as it's in the use year you borrowed the points into. They don't expire until the end of the use year. I think you're only limited to booking seven days at your eleven month window, if I'm not mistaken. So if you're walking, and when you call to add more days and they aren't available, then you're out of luck for those days, but you can still use your points to book other days, as long as it's in the use year you borrowed into. Does that make sense? I find the whole walking thing crazy & annoying, and it's not something I'm interested in doing.

On another note, I tried this morning to book a value view 2BR eleven months out from today, and the first day was already gone before it was even 8am, lol. I think I'm going to say screw the value view, and splurge and go ahead and book a savannah view.

If you borrow points to make a reservation, and you cancel that reservation, or only one day of the reservation, yes, you can still use those points on a new reservation, or to add a day to an existing reservation, as long as it's in the use year you borrowed the points into. They don't expire until the end of the use year. I think you're only limited to booking seven days at your eleven month window, if I'm not mistaken. So if you're walking, and when you call to add more days and they aren't available, then you're out of luck for those days, but you can still use your points to book other days, as long as it's in the use year you borrowed into. Does that make sense? I find the whole walking thing crazy & annoying, and it's not something I'm interested in doing.

On another note, I tried this morning to book a value view 2BR eleven months out from today, and the first day was already gone before it was even 8am, lol. I think I'm going to say screw the value view, and splurge and go ahead and book a savannah view.
I just read the "fine print" on the DVC website. It says that borrowed points cannot be returned to the year they are borrowed from and if cancelled, must be used in the year that they are borrowed into. That would mean that you are taking a chance with walking a reservation because you won't know if you got the vacation you wanted until the "walking" exercise is complete. I have never walked a reservation either but it looks like it may be the only way to get a specific room type on a specific day

Last edited:
I just read the "fine print" on the DVC website. It says that borrowed points cannot be returned to the year they are borrowed from and if cancelled, must be used in the year that they are borrowed into. That would mean that you are taking a chance with walking a reservation because you won't know if you got the vacation you wanted until the "walking" exercise is complete. I have never walked a reservation either but it looks like it may be the only way to get a specific room type on a specific day

Not true at 11 months. Once you start walking, I don't think that there is anyway not to get your dates.

:earsboy: Bill

If you have the day at 11-months, you have the room locked up from that point forward. Your only risk could be if rooms are out for maintenance or if a fixed-week booking interrupts your reservation. That’s such a small risk that I wouldn’t even consider it in my decision making process.

On the other hand, if your walk crosses seasons or includes more weekend days than you intend to keep, you may have points at risk. That’s worth worrying about.

All that said, walking is really only necessary for maybe 3 room types and, often, only at certain times of the year.

If you have the day at 11-months, you have the room locked up from that point forward. Your only risk could be if rooms are out for maintenance or if a fixed-week booking interrupts your reservation. That’s such a small risk that I wouldn’t even consider it in my decision making process.

On the other hand, if your walk crosses seasons or includes more weekend days than you intend to keep, you may have points at risk. That’s worth worrying about.

All that said, walking is really only necessary for maybe 3 room types and, often, only at certain times of the year.
I guess I assumed that people would be booking 6 days ahead of the actual vacation they were planning then call daily to add and cancel until they got the week beginning on the 7th day of the original reservation. Is that how it is done?

I guess I assumed that people would be booking 6 days ahead of the actual vacation they were planning then call daily to add and cancel until they got the week beginning on the 7th day of the original reservation. Is that how it is done?
Yes, but count the rooms. If you have one locked up today for 1/24-1/28, then even on the 28, nobody can book that same room for the 29th. The only rooms that can ever be booked are ones that Someone is checking out of on that day.

If you don’t have enough points, you can book just three or four days to walk. By, again, walking is largely unnecessary other than for the specific room type listed here.

Wow, that’s quite the jump - from the point frugal values to the expensive pointwise savanna view 2 Br.s! I have a standard view 2 br. booked for this Dec. - we usually get savanna view 1 br.s, but have family joining this trip so went for a 2 br. so I’m trying out the standard view & hoping for a partial savanna view, although pool view would be ok too.
When I first bought my AKV contract, out of curiosity I tried for months to see if I could even start a walk to get into a concierge 1br. and never was able to, I assume the values are much the same.

Yes, but count the rooms. If you have one locked up today for 1/24-1/28, then even on the 28, nobody can book that same room for the 29th. The only rooms that can ever be booked are ones that Someone is checking out of on that day.

If you don’t have enough points, you can book just three or four days to walk. By, again, walking is largely unnecessary other than for the specific room type listed here.
I understand what your saying but other parties could be doing the same thing as I described and competing for that next day's room. Also, if the points were borrowed for the walking, each cancelled day would go into holding, not back to the year it came from, right?

I understand what your saying but other parties could be doing the same thing as I described and competing for that next day's room. Also, if the points were borrowed for the walking, each cancelled day would go into holding, not back to the year it came from, right?
Holding only factor in at 30 days. You’re booking at 11 months. Borrowed points stay in the use year they were borrowed into.

Nobody can book the 11+1 day unless they also have the first day at 11 months. You’ve got that day locked up. They can’t book your room for a future date.

Wow, that’s quite the jump - from the point frugal values to the expensive pointwise savanna view 2 Br.s! I have a standard view 2 br. booked for this Dec. - we usually get savanna view 1 br.s, but have family joining this trip so went for a 2 br. so I’m trying out the standard view & hoping for a partial savanna view, although pool view would be ok too.
When I first bought my AKV contract, out of curiosity I tried for months to see if I could even start a walk to get into a concierge 1br. and never was able to, I assume the values are much the same.

We had a savanna view 2BR at Kidani this past December, and had a group of 6 adults, a 3 year old, and a 5 year old. It was myself, my husband, son, his wife, their two little guys, my daughter & her husband. We had to take a savanna view, as that was all that was available. It was nice, but I don't need to see the animals off my balcony. I would have preferred Jambo, but that wasn't available either, as we booked at 7 months. For this upcoming January, we are taking my other son, his fiance, her 12 year old, and their 5 year old. The kids will be turning 13 & 6 during the trip. I wanted to book a value 2BR at Jambo because, one I love Jambo, and two, I was trying to conserve points in case my daughter & her husband decided they wanted to come, as well as my sister & her husband. If I was able to book a 2BR value, I'd still have enough points left to book two standard studios. As it turns out, my daughter is pregnant, and if all goes well, will have a three month old at the time of our trip. She's had two miscarriages in the past, infertility issues, and this baby is an ivf baby. She's had some spotting and mild cramps, but is 7 weeks and so far so good. She told me last night she thinks she'd rather wait to go when the baby is a little older. So now I don't need one of the studios. Which made me wonder if I should book the savanna view, as I think the kids would get a kick out of it. My favorite view though, is the standard at Jambo. It's a pool view, and the sunsets in the evening are really pretty. I'm thinking I'm prob going to go with the standard view. I still have a few days to think about it, hopefully, lol. My luck, when I finally make up my mind, the Jambo standard views will be gone!

One tip for walking is to look for a time before your desired date that is very high on the point chart, such as Christmas or Easter, and start your walk then. People who are conserving their points are less likely to want those dates.
However, with only 10 units available, your odds are like being the 10th caller to a radio station with 100,000 listeners.

I'm sorry this is probably a little OT, but as we're seriously considering a decent-sized resale contract at AKV...HELP! We will almost always need to get a 2BR if we're traveling w/ our kids (5 of them)...curious on the following:
--2BR dedicated/NOT lock-off...are there more of these/are they as crazy-hard to get in the Adventure season as the lock-off?
--I've read many times over that value and CL are the hardest to snag, is this the same for 2BR dedicated too? I would love to do Savannah View at some point but obviously Value / Standard would be ideal point usage.

Thanks for any help

2BR dedicated/NOT lock-off...are there more of these/are they as crazy-hard to get in the Adventure season as the lock-off?

In general, a 2BR Standard or Savannah is not crazy hard in Adventure season booked at 11 months. The people discussing challenge all want the Value 2BR.

There are 10 Value 2BR lock-off units total. Meanwhile, there are actually 113 dedicated 2BR Savannah and 27 dedicated 2BR Standard at Kidani, and an additional 141 lock-off 2BR Savannah and 94 lock-off 2BR Standard. If booked in home resort, you may not always get Jambo, but getting a 2BR isn't an issue.

Getting a Value or Club 2BR is always going to be a matter of luck, as they're rare - 5 total lock-off 2BR Club Level units, and 10 total lock-off 2BR Value units. Studio bookings in both categories remove 2BRs from inventory.

Do not buy based on an assumption of getting the Value each time, particularly in Adventure season, which mostly aligns with the highest-demand period for DVC bookings.

You will own at AKV, and I do not think you will have difficulty booking a 2 bedroom at 11 months.

You could call everyday, but you don’t have to, you just need to call once a week really. Let’s say I book a room for Jan 1-8, (checking out the 8th) but what I really want is Jan 7-15. I only need to call on the 7th to release the first days and book the last 6 nights. No one can get ahead of me to book those last six nights as long as I have the first night booked, and call on the 11 month window day.

Hallelujah and praise the Lord!!! I did it! I still can't believe it! :dancer:party::cool1::cheer2::banana:

Previously, I had tried everything. Logging in right at 8am, logging in and having the selection page up & ready to click on book these days, logging in & actually clicking on book this stay, filling in the booking info & then clicking on book this vacation. Every time I tried all these things, after clicking right at 8am I would get booted out and have to log back in again and go through the whole selection process. I was always using Chrome as my browser. Today I thought, you know what, let me try Internet Explorer, so I did. I logged in at 7:55, went through the whole selection process, got to the fill in the info page, and at 8am clicked book this, and voila, I got it! I was actually frozen for a second when I saw the page spinning to go to the next info page. My fingers were shaking as I was trying to type my info in. I still can't believe it. AKV Jambo House 2BR value view Jan 25-Feb 1, 2019, here we come! This is Friday to Friday, and I'd prefer Saturday to Saturday, so will call tomorrow to see if I can drop the first day and add the last. We're missing the kids' birthdays by a week, they're the 18th & 21st, but we can still celebrate them while at WDW. I'm also wondering if I didn't have success previously because of the Martin Luther King holiday being in the midst of the days I was trying to book. Did I tell you how excited I am? :dance3:

Hallelujah and praise the Lord!!! I did it! I still can't believe it! :dancer:party::cool1::cheer2::banana:

Previously, I had tried everything. Logging in right at 8am, logging in and having the selection page up & ready to click on book these days, logging in & actually clicking on book this stay, filling in the booking info & then clicking on book this vacation. Every time I tried all these things, after clicking right at 8am I would get booted out and have to log back in again and go through the whole selection process. I was always using Chrome as my browser. Today I thought, you know what, let me try Internet Explorer, so I did. I logged in at 7:55, went through the whole selection process, got to the fill in the info page, and at 8am clicked book this, and voila, I got it! I was actually frozen for a second when I saw the page spinning to go to the next info page. My fingers were shaking as I was trying to type my info in. I still can't believe it. AKV Jambo House 2BR value view Jan 25-Feb 1, 2019, here we come! This is Friday to Friday, and I'd prefer Saturday to Saturday, so will call tomorrow to see if I can drop the first day and add the last. We're missing the kids' birthdays by a week, they're the 18th & 21st, but we can still celebrate them while at WDW. I'm also wondering if I didn't have success previously because of the Martin Luther King holiday being in the midst of the days I was trying to book. Did I tell you how excited I am? :dance3:
Yeah!!

Congratulations!

FWIW, maybe the kids will just be so happy they are getting to go to WDW to celebrate their birthdays with family AND they get to have a party with their friends (if their parents do that for them). When my daughter was their ages, parties with friends was a big deal. She would have chosen the party over a trip to Disney (had we allowed it, LOL).

Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter