• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is 1 unpopular opinion on Travel you have?

Try flying into NYC from the orient you think you are in a third world airport. We went hiking this past winter and skiing near the Pa WV border and spent a few days at the Drury in Pittsburgh. The Maple Leafs were playing the Pens. We walked across 5 of the bridges and all over the city and had a very nice time. Found the people a bit clannish and unsophisticated but other than that enjoyed our time there.
I went from Tokyo’s gleaming, immaculate Narita airport with its Cartier and Hermès shops to... Baltimore. The culture shock was staggering, and BWI is my home airport! :laughing:

Give me a Waikiki Beach-view room on the 20th floor of a hotel right smack on Kalakaua Avenue please. We wouldn't stay any other place. :beach:

The only time I went to Hawaii we stayed in a high rise at Waikiki. If I ever go back (unlikely), I'd insist on the same again.

Definitely. Paris doesn't have a monopoly on foul-smelling subway stations. Philly is especially bad.

This is us exactly!! We loved it and felt so glad we hadn’t taken advice that the only way to do Hawaii was in a condo on Maui.
While in Hawaii I stayed at Aulani, a Waikiki high rise, a private residence and a mega-resort, and I can say with confidence that next time I would insist on staying in Costa Rica. :rotfl2:

And vacation is all I call it :D

Like I mentioned I'm always tired in some way.

To get to Hawaii took 2 stops on the way there multiple time zone changes and on the way back 3 stops (2 stops was more expensive when we bought) which included an overnight flight and multiple time zone changes. We could have relaxed on the beach the entire time and still came home tired just from travel alone. But boy did we absolutely love our vacation there :)

Ahhh, see our beach trips are at most a 5 hour drive. Many times less. We drive that morning, get there and relax on the beach all afternoon and grab pizza that night. And the next days we venture out more in the evenings. On our return day, I wash all the clothes in the condo and we strike out for home. Grab take out before we get home and have a restful evening back at home before work the next day.

Ahhh, see our beach trips are at most a 5 hour drive. Many times less. We drive that morning, get there and relax on the beach all afternoon and grab pizza that night. And the next days we venture out more in the evenings. On our return day, I wash all the clothes in the condo and we strike out for home. Grab take out before we get home and have a restful evening back at home before work the next day.
Yeah when you live here:

upload_2018-7-21_15-19-53.png To get to an actual coastal beach takes a while :D

We really loved Hawaii but it's not an easy trek to get there. Same for when we did our honeymoon in St. Lucia and our trip next month to Jamaica..overall both easier than Hawaii though. I enjoyed Cape Cod as well and that's at least a non-stop flight to Boston with drive after that.

What your beach trips are described as are similarish to our Lake trips. 3+drive from home leaving on Friday or Saturday, enjoy the lake, swim, eat, maybe a bit of shopping at the Outlets (because of where we go to) and then drive back home Sunday. Lot of people either drive down Friday night or Saturday morning then leave sometime Sunday and go back to work on Monday. Normally I'm just tired from being out in the sun combined with driving back home (car rides tend to put me to sleep unless I'm driving lol) on those vacations but it's not as tiring as the other actual beach vacations that's for sure. Honestly I'd probably not label lake trips as vacations so much as weekend getaways just because it's a very common weekend destination for people in my area as opposed to people staying there for a week+. So I guess I have one destination I don't call 'vacation' perse :)

I have no desire to travel internationally.

I used to want to visit a few places in particular like London, Paris, Rome, etc. But as I get older I know I would NOT enjoy the long plane ride, and I seem to becoming more of a "creature of habit" in our traveling. I enjoy going back to places here in the states that we have been to more than once, revisiting favorite places, finding new favorites, etc. I've seen several here say that Florida sucks, I don't feel that way at all. We've been there many times and have enjoyed every trip. Love going to Daytona and Cocoa Beach, visiting tourist attractions, etc. Last time we enjoyed a wonderful airboat ride in the Everglades and went to a wildlife refuge, it was beautiful! Kind of thinking maybe we should go see the Keys before we get too old to enjoy it. :)

We also love the Smoky Mountains and the National Park, the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. I think we could go there every year and not tire of it.

No desire to travel to California, unless it would be an overnight stay before hopping on a cruise ship. :)

I used to want to go to Hawaii, but I would prefer Alaska instead. Really hope to get there in the not-too-distant future, just can't decide if we want to fly there and rent a cabin for a couple of weeks, take a few weeks during the summer and drive ourselves, or take a cruise/land tour.

I agree with the majority here about tent camping, yuck! :) We started out that way, then graduated to a pop-up camper when the kids were little, then a 5th wheel. We love camping with that, and leave it parked at our place up north for the summer. Used to have a truck camper for short trips around Michigan, but in March we traded it for a 21' tow behind and really like it so much better. Camping, in a camper, is much, much better than a tent!

I have another: I am not a sun worshiper---cool, overcast days, or even rain or snow is much better 95% of the time on vacation (which also means I really have no interest in seeing more of the Caribbean).
I agree 100%. We have no problem traveling well up north in the dead of winter. The gulf coast of Florida is enough for me and there is no desire to go to a Caribbean national. Cold and rain in not a deterrent.

AI resorts in the Caribbean and other places that don’t even hire locals or contribute to the local economy are parasites IMO and I would never go to one. Why travel to a different country just to stay in some isolated bubble?

Likewise I will never take a Caribbean cruise. Just going from one beach port to the next, what’s the point?

While in Hawaii I stayed at Aulani, a Waikiki high rise, a private residence and a mega-resort, and I can say with confidence that next time I would insist on staying in Costa Rica. :rotfl2:
Fair enough. We've got no burning desire to ever go back to Hawaii, unlike tons of our friends who go every year. We feel like we've been-there-done-that the best possible way for us, which was just pure luck because we went totally against the grain of all the advice we got.

And just curious - is Costa Rica just a metaphor for "somewhere better than Hawaii" or do you really like Costa Rica? It was on the table as an option instead of our SoCal trip this year but I'm not wild about the tropics so we passed.

Fair enough. We've got no burning desire to ever go back to Hawaii, unlike tons of our friends who go every year. We feel like we've been-there-done-that the best possible way for us, which was just pure luck because we went totally against the grain of all the advice we got.

And just curious - is Costa Rica just a metaphor for "somewhere better than Hawaii" or do you really like Costa Rica? It was on the table as an option instead of our SoCal trip this year but I'm not wild about the tropics so we passed.
Costa Rica is wonderful. Just an amazing place. I have 3 friends who have moved there. I would love to join them. Would have to convince my wife.

Not the PP but I prefer Costa Rica to Hawaii. Shorter flight from East Coast, less built up because of ecological regulations, and it’s just as if not more beautiful than Oahu. Safer surfing conditions for beginners. I don’t know if we’ll ever go back to Hawaii unless we move to the West Coast.

Costa Rica is wonderful. Just an amazing place. I have 3 friends who have moved there. I would love to join them. Would have to convince my wife.

Good luck! Send her my way if you need backup, LOL. Just bring her for a visit, in my observation it only takes one or two trips for it to get its hooks into you. Pura Vida!

I have another: I am not a sun worshiper---cool, overcast days, or even rain or snow is much better 95% of the time on vacation (which also means I really have no interest in seeing more of the Caribbean).

I completely agree! When I went to the UK, I was so excited about the weather because I was under the impression it rains pretty often. But the ONLY time it rained during my two week trip was when I was on the top deck of the Thames River boat and of course had zero shelter lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter