• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is 1 unpopular opinion on Travel you have?

We found the people we interacted with to be very rude and they had an entitled attitude. The first time we chalked it up to having a bad tour operator. It happened again a second time, so we tried it for a third time and had the same experience. Now if the cruise ship stops there we have a ship day.

Interestingly, a co-worker went to a Sandals on St. Lucia and I didn't say anything ahead of time as everyone has different experiences and different tastes. She came back and said that while Sandals was great and they had a wonderful time there, they didn't enjoy any of their interactions with the people outside of Sandals - - they had the same experience we did. On the other hand we know people who have been and loved it.

I always encourage everyone to try things for themselves at least once so they can have their own experience. I'll usually try something two to three times before I'm ready to say never again, whether it be a restaurant, destination, etc., because everyone can off an off day, but I can easily say there's no way I'd be spending any of my vacation dollars again in St. Lucia when there's so many other places that we love.
Granted I went to St Lucia in 2013 for our honeymoon but I only had 1 day with an interaction with the locals. We also stayed in Sandals and did an excursion for one day that took us from Castries to Soufriere. My husband however had one more experience but it was at a electronic type store that he went to because we forgot our laptop charging cord at home (we were staying Concierge level so the Concierge desk helped set up the taxi arrangement and to go to a place that accepted US dollars).

Our excursion was a private vehicle tour around Soufriere followed by snorkeling between the Piton mountains. Our private tour guide took us all throughout the mountains where we met a few local vendors on the side of the mountain (I got a wood elephant necklace from one of them), took us to a local-ish mom and pop style restaurant (prices on the menu were in Eastern Caribbean Dollar and US dollars) where the chicken you ate was alive in the back of the place earlier in the day, took us to the drive-through volcano, took us to hot springs, took us to a botannical garden, took us to a waterfall (where we got in for a bit), took us to Sugar Beach where the Piton mountains are (which is where Matt Damon had his vow renewals a week before we got there) where we had some Piton beer relaxing for a while and he talked with us a bit, etc BUT as far as I know from other people taking the tour our guide was the better of them. That was the downside of the excursion is knowing afterwards that everyone's experience was completely dependent on the tour guide. We just happen to get the best one. All the interactions with local people were nice but at the same time I understand I may have not been getting the actual local feel because we had a private tour guide with us (even if that private guide was a local who spoke both english and st lucian creole). ETA: I should mention our tour guide took pictures of us along the way ensuring we would have tangible memories of it.

At least back then St Lucia was just barely becoming a well-known tourist place-I hadn't even heard of it prior to looking at Sandals's website. I'd honestly say it's a place that I would love to go back to but it's not one I would venture out on my own. It's still up and becoming as far as mass tourism. The people at Sandals that we personally interacted with were great but it was def. "island time". Rum punch in a hot tub while it was raining was amazing...it just may have taken an hour to get me the drink (we still had fun talking with an Australian couple and a British couple while waiting for it).

Last edited:
I have a feeling you mean to post this on another thread.
:rotfl:
Nope, ya gotta read the whole thing. The devil is in the details. ;)

Granted I went to St Lucia in 2013 for our honeymoon but I only had 1 day with an interaction with the locals. We also stayed in Sandals and did an excursion for one day that took us from Castries to Soufriere. My husband however had one more experience but it was at a electronic type store that he went to because we forgot our laptop charging cord at home (we were staying Concierge level so the Concierge desk helped set up the taxi arrangement and to go to a place that accepted US dollars).

Our excursion was a private vehicle tour around Soufriere followed by snorkeling between the Piton mountains. Our private tour guide took us all throughout the mountains where we met a few local vendors on the side of the mountain (I got a wood elephant necklace from one of them), took us to a local-ish mom and pop style restaurant (prices on the menu were in Eastern Caribbean Dollar and US dollars) where the chicken you ate was alive in the back of the place earlier in the day, took us to the drive-through volcano, took us to hot springs, took us to a botannical garden, took us to a waterfall (where we got in for a bit), took us to Sugar Beach where the Piton mountains are (which is where Matt Damon had his vow renewals a week before we got there) where we had some Piton beer relaxing for a while and he talked with us a bit, etc BUT as far as I know from other people taking the tour our guide was the better of them. That was the downside of the excursion is knowing afterwards that everyone's experience was completely dependent on the tour guide. We just happen to get the best one. All the interactions with local people were nice but at the same time I understand I may have not been getting the actual local feel because we had a private tour guide with us (even if that private guide was a local who spoke both english and st lucian creole). ETA: I should mention our tour guide took pictures of us along the way ensuring we would have tangible memories of it.

At least back then St Lucia was just barely becoming a well-known tourist place-I hadn't even heard of it prior to looking at Sandals's website. I'd honestly say it's a place that I would love to go back to but it's not one I would venture out on my own. It's still up and becoming as far as mass tourism. The people at Sandals that we personally interacted with were great but it was def. "island time". Rum punch in a hot tub while it was raining was amazing...it just may have taken an hour to get me the drink (we still had fun talking with an Australian couple and a British couple while waiting for it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter