What is 1 unpopular opinion on Travel you have?

I love the theater & restaurants in NYC, otherwise I don’t care if I ever go back.

I have this same opinion. I find NYC absolutely awful. Getting in and out to see a show and eat at a specific restaurant is fine (and one of my fave hotels is there), but everybody who thinks NYC is the best can keep it! What do I know though, I love Florida and wouldn’t live anywhere else.

Traveling “like a local” is not something I have much interest in doing. I much prefer the convenience of being driven around to taking mass transit, I’d rather eat in the best restaurants of a city rather than wandering into a hole in the wall, and I absolutely want to stay in a luxury hotel over an air bnb type thing.

Paris is overrated. The food sucks unless you're spending a lot and/or know where to go. When I'm out and about touring a city, I want to be able to find decent food without having to research ahead of time and then search for a particular restaurant.
The Metro smells like pee, b.o. and perfume.

I think the journey is sometimes just as much fun as the destination. I love to fly, love the hustle of the airports, love seeing the sites from the air, I even like eating at the airport. I love road trips, I'm never in a hurry and while I have a destination in mind, rarely have a time I need to get there. If a sign on the road says something is out of my way but might be interesting/quirky/fun or different, I'm taking a detour and checking it out. I love to stop at all the little historical markers on the side of the road and love to stop at little church graveyards and wander through them. I don't do much planning for trips, if it's somewhere new I'll research the place to find out about out of the way places to see but don't make reservations, sometimes don't even book a hotel room.

Paris is overrated. The food sucks unless you're spending a lot and/or know where to go. When I'm out and about touring a city, I want to be able to find decent food without having to research ahead of time and then search for a particular restaurant.
A lot of places in Paris smelled like that; do you think they even notice? On a more positive (yet probably unpopular) note, everyone we encountered there was very congenial and the service was fine!

I think the journey is sometimes just as much fun as the destination. I love to fly, love the hustle of the airports, love seeing the sites from the air, I even like eating at the airport. I love road trips, I'm never in a hurry and while I have a destination in mind, rarely have a time I need to get there. If a sign on the road says something is out of my way but might be interesting/quirky/fun or different, I'm taking a detour and checking it out. I love to stop at all the little historical markers on the side of the road and love to stop at little church graveyards and wander through them. I don't do much planning for trips, if it's somewhere new I'll research the place to find out about out of the way places to see but don't make reservations, sometimes don't even book a hotel room.
{{shudder}} Oh heck no! I'm still hoping Elon Musk or somebody like him will develop teleportation for the mass-market during my lifetime. :teleport:

Could not have said it any better. We would travel well together. We love stopping at the small grave yards, the stones have some interesting things to say. There is one in Maine that we visit quite often, a young mother who died in the 1860's. The epitaph is very interesting and we as if we got to know her by visiting and reading. But we travel much like you do, and we do it very often.

Having a kitchenette. We would rather make our own meals. So we do our best to get a room with a kitchenette, then go grocery shopping.

All I want to do for vacation is Disney/DVC or cruises. No interest in seeing the rest of the US or Europe (or other countries not in the Caribbean).

Agree with these I read in this thread:
tent camping sucks
hate flying
sharing accommodations with non family (or extended family) sucks
driving more than 5 hours sucks
MD beaches are trashy (as are Myrtle Beach and VA Beach)
Disney cruises are way overpriced and not worth what you get
cooking on vacation sucks (I think someone must have posted this)

Last edited:
Travel in general sucks. :(

Currently, most of my travel is booked around a 1 week vacation or possible a long weekend and the travel part is just taking up some of that vacation time.....

That being said, i am counting down the days until i retire, buy and RV and travel full time.. hopefully getting to see all things i missed while rushing (traveling) to my vacation destination during the past 30 or so years!

A lot of places in Paris smelled like that; do you think they even notice? On a more positive (yet probably unpopular) note, everyone we encountered there was very congenial and the service was fine!
:rotfl:I’m laughing at these descriptions because I got on a plane headed to Paris once and thought, “Ew, this plane smells like pee and BO!”

:rotfl:I’m laughing at these descriptions because I got on a plane headed to Paris once and thought, “Ew, this plane smells like pee and BO!”
We walked down one of those stone staircases along the Seine to board a boat tour. :coffee: People were sitting there in the sun just eating, drinking and whiling away the afternoon seemingly oblivious to the smell. I was totally incredulous. :confused: Still LOVED Paris though!!

We prefer Universal over WDW because we don't have to plan. Sometimes we don't even decide which park we're going to until we get off the boat!

Yep, that's the best part of Universal.

I liked when it was possible to decide which Disney park to visit on a whim. I've heard of people choosing which park based on which bus showed up first. I was never THAT casual, but would decide in the morning during breakfast.

I thought of another one:

A family going on a vacation with another family they are not related to is weird. Especially when sharing living quarters.

I'm sure many people disagree with this, but I am standing by my opinion.

I think it's weird to travel with people outside the nuclear family. Parents and dependent kids. No one else. No grandmas, cousins, nieces, etc.

And especially:

No, DD, you CAN'T bring this year's BFF on vacation with us.

Yep, that's the best part of Universal.

I liked when it was possible to decide which Disney park to visit on a whim. I've heard of people choosing which park based on which bus showed up first. I was never THAT casual, but would decide in the morning during breakfast.

I think it's weird to travel with people outside the nuclear family. Parents and dependent kids. No one else. No grandmas, cousins, nieces, etc.

And especially:

No, DD, you CAN'T bring this year's BFF on vacation with us.
Lol, my kids go on other families vacation for several weeks every year! I think dd17 logged in at least 5 weeks last year (cape cod, lake George, jersey shore, obx...). My sister has paid for some of my kids to fly out to her. My kids are very easy going and great travelers, are not whiners or complainers, and go with the flow. Works for me!

We walked down one of those stone staircases along the Seine to board a boat tour. :coffee: People were sitting there in the sun just eating, drinking and whiling away the afternoon seemingly oblivious to the smell. I was totally incredulous. :confused: Still LOVED Paris though!!

Yeah that smell was also obvious anywhere there was a corner. It is a beautiful city though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter